Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VitalSigns posted:

Well I'm glad somebody said it. I really wish I could visit the universe where this thread is reacting in realtime to TNG season 1.

i definitely have been pining for a return to the production values and sensibilities of TNG season 1, a show run by an old man out of his mind on senility, pills, and liquor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

TheCenturion posted:

Go read old posts from alt.scifi.startrektng or whatever newsgroups and you'll find all sorts of stuff like that. Hell, there's nothing like alt.scifi.wesley.die.die.die for Tilly, now, is there?

Is there a good usenet archive around now? Google had completely destroyed its usability last I tried

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You see because some nerds made complaints (valid and otherwise) about another show that was really bad in it's first season 30 years ago that means all current arguments are invalid, furthermore *farting noises*

also lol at the idea of anybody in the late 80's calling TNG grimdark

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

I remember that a lot of the Star Trek EU stuff, back in the 80s and 90s, you know, the Pocket Books novels and what not, posited that TOS Klingons were actually 'Klingon/human fusions' intended to better interact with their neighbours, or the result of experimentation and what not that the Empire decided to make use of.

An alien empire that intentionally creates half-X races to live at each of its buffer zones with other major species (and treats them as valuable citizens, not disposable minions) would be a really cool idea to see explored.

Tighclops posted:

also lol at the idea of anybody in the late 80's calling TNG grimdark

For as much as The Orville bothers me, I'm glad that we have it around to carry forward the proud tradition of scifi spaceships with interiors like hotel conference spaces.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
edit: reply is not edit

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

TheCenturion posted:

Go read old posts from alt.scifi.startrektng or whatever newsgroups and you'll find all sorts of stuff like that. Hell, there's nothing like alt.scifi.wesley.die.die.die for Tilly, now, is there?

For an alternative, you can also hunt down the old Best of Trek collections. They just gushed over it. To be sure, it was largely around having new live-action Star Trek on TV for the first time in almost 20 years. And a lot of them were big Gene's Vision types who actually believed TOS was free of conflict and showcased a perfect version of humanity*, so TNG Season 1 was custom-made for them.

*I know I keep mentioning it, but this is the same publication that ran the essay when WoK came out about how it had ruined all the ideals TOS had ever stood for. They point out that was contrary to pretty much everyone else's opinions, but the ran it just the same.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
What the gently caress was Roddenberry smoking with this Jack The Ripper Ghost Murder Mystery

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I like how in the episode where Geordie turns into a gross invisible monster, after his friend mutates, it seems like only he and Bev are working on the problem. The Enterprise is parked in orbit around this swamp planet doing nothing, there are hundreds of scientists available and even supercomputer Data offered to help but Geordie is like “gently caress off, I must solve this on my own.”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Guys I forgot how good Manhunt is. Since it’s tucked away in season 2, I forget it exists, but drat if it isn’t one of TNG’s funniest episodes.

From Worf just apparently standing in the transporter room the entire episode admiring Mick Fleetwood, to Mr. Homm just casually drinking everything in sight, to Riker’s poo poo-eating grin at Betazoid’s hyperactive sex drives...it’s just wonderful. :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
“A handsome race”

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Arglebargle III posted:

Ben Franklin posted:

quote:

All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth.

This was written after Ben went blind, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pieces of Peace posted:

This was written after Ben went blind, right?

They used to pretty much count tanning as swarthy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 16, 2018

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

They could just change the makeup every season, say it's a life cycle thing for Kelpians

They have to have L'rell do the surgery thing on Saru to turn him human because the Emperor is relentlessly hunting him to eat him.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Insurrection is a bad Star Trek movie.

Insurrection with Sirtis and Frakes doing the commentary is the best Star Trek movie.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 16, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zesty posted:

Insurrection is a bad movie Star Trek movie.

Insurrection with Sirtis and Frakes doing the commentary is the best Star Trek movie.

They really should just get the whole TNG cast together on Skype calls, send them all bottles of whatever their pleasure is, and let them have at it while watching episodes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

They really should just get the whole TNG cast together on Skype calls, send them all bottles of whatever their pleasure is, and let them have at it while watching episodes.

I would donate so hard to that GoFundMe - not even joking. Release it as a weekly podcast too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm gonna leave this right here:

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Saru begins to receive regular, unsigned packages of soy, wasabi and curry.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Commander Saru, report to olive oil storage immediately. Bring a wok."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You're too stressed out Saru, you need to take a hot bath, that's an order. Try these bath salts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I'm sure the transporter can create a suitable clone for eating. Unless you need to cook Kelpians alive like lobsters or mussels or something.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Captain, if you push that wok too hard we could end up with a triglyceride fire all over deck 9!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FRY HER APART THEN!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:golfclap:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Can I have permission to feature the above several posts in my Doctorate Class I'm teaching on 'Star Trek Puns'?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Delthalaz posted:

I like how in the episode where Geordie turns into a gross invisible monster, after his friend mutates, it seems like only he and Bev are working on the problem. The Enterprise is parked in orbit around this swamp planet doing nothing, there are hundreds of scientists available and even supercomputer Data offered to help but Geordie is like “gently caress off, I must solve this on my own.”

Isn't his fellow away team member already mutating in sickbay by that point too. The computer is capable of remotely monitoring vital signs and communicating this information, but nobody bothers to set up an alert or even have someone stay with him at all times like the superfast superstrong android who doesn't need rest and can't be distracted.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

I mean I'm sure the transporter can create a suitable clone for eating. Unless you need to cook Kelpians alive like lobsters or mussels or something.

This is true. I mean, we only think we've seen Star Trek humans eat meat. But, what we were seeing was merely something as fresh and tasty as meat; it was, of course, inorganically materialized out of patterns used by their transporters.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tarlibone posted:

This is true. I mean, we only think we've seen Star Trek humans eat meat. But, what we were seeing was merely something as fresh and tasty as meat; it was, of course, inorganically materialized out of patterns used by their transporters.

That's what they say, but Starfleet's flagship has a well-known record of (a) offering to transport diplomats from tasty species and (b) said diplomats mysteriously disappearing on board.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just because it was materialised doesn't mean it's inorganic or not meat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We no longer enslave animals for food.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe they pay the animals a living wage in return for eating them?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Just because it was materialised doesn't mean it's inorganic or not meat.

In fact, by current idiotic usage, it probably is Organic. Pesticides? Antibiotics? Cages? Bitch, it didn't exist ten seconds ago!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know, the replicator would be able to reproduce meat at any stage in the aging process. You could have chicken as if it had just been slaughtered or duck hung dry for 3 days and to the replicator and wouldn't make any difference.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It could even make some of that months old rotten fish hákarl poo poo if you want to piss off everyone on your deck.

Worf would like it probably.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VitalSigns posted:

That's what they say, but Starfleet's flagship has a well-known record of (a) offering to transport diplomats from tasty species and (b) said diplomats mysteriously disappearing on board.

See, people complain that Picard's got an inappropriately light attitude towards that incident, but I feel like that ought to be Starfleet's attitude.

"Huh, these guys that hate each other just ate each other. Well, could be worse, at least we're not getting shot up by some Orion hotrod while an assassin tries to murder a shipload of Federation councilors!"

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

See, people complain that Picard's got an inappropriately light attitude towards that incident, but I feel like that ought to be Starfleet's attitude.

"Huh, these guys that hate each other just ate each other. Well, could be worse, at least we're not getting shot up by some Orion hotrod while an assassin tries to murder a shipload of Federation councilors!"

No one was even blinked out of existence by an uncaring and angry god

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Finally finished our TOS watch-through. "Turnabout Intruder" is definitely the best way season 3 could've ended; after lots of mediocrity, we get one last gasp of Prime Shatnering and Roddenberry's Women. Plus lots of really sloppy writing in general. (The bad guy blurts out their "she's having delusions of being Kirk" alibi long before she actually says anything that requires him to, and the body swap is reversed with literally no explanation.)

I'm torn between seeing if I can get a copy of the TMP director's cut DVD or just streaming (renting?) the theatrical cut in HD. I know the director's cut is generally considered better, and I remember liking it better, although I saw the theatrical cut when I was like 9, so it's hard to say definitively. It's tough because it's so dependent on visuals...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
TMP is definitely a movie that needs to be seen in the highest definition possible. It is a visually fantastic film.

e: also agreeing with Timby below this post; the Director's Cut has some serious issues. Just sit back and appreciate the 15 minutes of beauty shots in 1080p.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 16, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm torn between seeing if I can get a copy of the TMP director's cut DVD or just streaming (renting?) the theatrical cut in HD. I know the director's cut is generally considered better, and I remember liking it better, although I saw the theatrical cut when I was like 9, so it's hard to say definitively. It's tough because it's so dependent on visuals...

The Director's Edition is one of those things where for every step forward it makes, it takes two steps backward. The new audio mix is absolutely criminal (being able to hear the original computer voice over Majel's re-dubbed lines is just :stare:-worthy), and certain cuts like removing Kirk's second "viewer off!" are utterly nonsensical.

Much like the "Donner Cut" of Superman 2, it's also debatable just how directly Robert Wise was involved in the production of The Director's Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

We no longer enslave animals for food.
I sort of wonder about that whole thing, because they obviously have meat DISHES, they're replicated, and Sisko refers to shucking some kind of shellfish - although harvesting immobile shellfish is probably more ethically defensible than raising pigs or cows.

My guess is there are still some heritage farms that mostly preserve Old Folkways and raise livestock breeds as pets and history exhibits, but once in a while they need a new template for Andorian-breaded chicken tendies.