Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yeah, Australia was wiped out in, like, hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Just the Boomerang Coast. Darwin, Perth and other smaller population centers were probably okay. Well, relatively. I assume they'd still feel some effect of such a massive impact, but it doesn't seem like they were wiped. It might have even made parts of the interior more habitable given the coastal re-arrangement that went on.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

That clip is actually one of the bigger struggles I had with Victory. You have a group of people who are willing to commit all kinds of heinous acts on the people of earth for their desires. Zanscare is so comically evil they use the guillotine as a fear tactic, but for some reason their hardened soldiers are really bothered by the idea that their war might create child soldiers? He's not the only one to have this reaction either from their side, it's like a running theme for at least the first 1/3rd of the show. I found it to be a huge disconnect, I understand its supposed to make us empathize with them, but for me it made it even harder to. It was a really difficult intellectual disconnect for this guy to be super bothered by a child piloting a war machine when they were perfectly comfortable genociding children, families etc in Uso's home district in the opening of the series by wiping out an entire city with no warning.

Victory has a lot of issues, unintelligible villains was a huge one for me.

Yeah, that right there is probably the reason why that clip is all I'll ever watch of Victory Gundam. I can see that being a giant point of disconnect that ruins the show.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

tsob posted:

Just the Boomerang Coast. Darwin, Perth and other smaller population centers were probably okay. Well, relatively. I assume they'd still feel some effect of such a massive impact, but it doesn't seem like they were wiped. It might have even made parts of the interior more habitable given the coastal re-arrangement that went on.

Well, I have been proven probably incorrect!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

Just frequent meteor showers from space debris ravaging the continents to content with, nothing out of the ordinary.

You're already looking at a hundred million+ dead during the attacks on Zahn, Hatte, Moore and Granada, then a good couple billion during Operation British, and then god only knows how many civilians were massacred during Loum.
Loum might be the deadliest single day action in the whole war, considering that Operation British's mass casualties were mostly due to the after effects of the colony drop than the impact itself.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 15, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

In a month.

In a week.

I'm not arguing Gihren being the worst person in the UC, or that he's the most successful monster of the bunch. I'm just saying that, as a faction, Zeon during the one year war is mostly less terrible on an individual level than some of the later followups.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah, Australia was wiped out in, like, hours.

The non-Zeon colonies were attacked even earlier, Zeon attacked them three seconds after declaring war.

Horrible Taste fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 16, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LuiCypher posted:

"Bright tries to be a good guy" is one way to reduce the plots of almost all UC Gundam series to one sentence. Bright Noah is consistent and constant in terms of being a good guy throughout nearly all of the major UC series, and he's rewarded for this by unknowingly killing his own son in EU novels/manga through said dedication.

To be fair, if Tomino made that now he's very likely to not only have Hathaway finally realize what a poo poo he's been but give both him and Bright a happy ending. He'd probably have Hathaway help Bright, Mirai and Cheimin open the restaurant and end with all of them happily working together. Even if Sunrise incorporate it somehow as lots of people imagine it's likely to end much more happily, both because Tomino would want it and because Sunrise doesn't really do depressing endings in their shows anymore.

LuiCypher posted:

My YouTube link does include the best part of that scene, which is the robot dick punch :colbert: You just have to keep watching it!

The really stupid thing is that I did watch the whole video, but then blanked out that last bit for some reason. Corin is just a fun guy, and one thing I noticed while re-watching Turn-A at one point a while back is that after he returns in the finale Harry offers him a SUMO and he turns it down to customize a Kapool and use that instead. Although, that said, he might have survived if he'd been using a SUMO. So maybe it wasn't the best decision the dude ever made?

It's also worth pointing out that some of the units in Turn-A have a lot of resistance to others, so the WaDoms, FLATs etc. are basically immune to the fire of smaller units like the WaD and Kapool, but the SUMO appears to be immune to almost anything other units like the FLATS can throw at them too while the Turn-A and probably the Turn-X are basically immune to even the SUMO's beam pistols thingies. Hell, the Turn-A's armor appears to be impervious to even the Turn-X's beam cannons since it suffered no external damage from literally dozens of beam cannons shots the one time Gym used the bloody siege attack on it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

In a week.

I'm not arguing Gihren being the worst person in the UC, or that he's the most successful monster of the bunch. I'm just saying that, as a faction, Zeon during the one year war is mostly less terrible on an individual level than some of the later followups.

The only reason why Zeon is less terrible during the war on an individual level is because the Antarctic Treaty was signed to prevent species extinction due to the unimaginable atrocities perpretrated by them at the outset of the war. It was Zeon soldiers who gassed the colony used in Operation British and it was Zeon soldiers who individually murdered all the nearly defenseless colonists who resisted Zeon in space.

Dozle, one of the "good ones", was the one who supervised the clearing out of Island Iffish.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Given that the Turn A is self repairing its likely that the Turn A & X are the hardiest MS across any time line. Also kinda makes sense if you accept that they are the absolute end of the Gundam timeline they should be the most impervious units.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Given that the Turn A is self repairing its likely that the Turn A & X are the hardiest MS across any time line. Also kinda makes sense if you accept that they are the absolute end of the Gundam timeline they should be the most impervious units.

The Turn-A may be able to self-regenerate but can it self-evolve and self-replicate?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Turn-A's resistance to beam cannon fire is probably the single best example of unit hardiness in the franchise. At least, it is for a unit under heavy fire from conventional weapons. The Unicorn, Banshee and Wing still display greater resistance though, since they all stood up to colony lasers (or a faux one in Wing's case). The Wing was half destroyed in the process, and both Banshee and Unicorn used psyco-fields to do it and were still nearly destroyed in the process, but they're still more impressive regardless given the sheer scope of the fire involved.

https://comfy.moe/wgxyam.webm

On a related note and something I was thinking about earlier; I think the SUMO has it's own internal energy barrier despite having an equippable i-field thing too. Maybe the external one is useful because it can be used to imprison other units as well as block incoming fire. Or possibly it's just there because the internal one is hard on the pilot given how it works. Which is interesting technology on it's own, given that the energy barrier is directly powered by the pilot's stamina and using his is the reason Harry was in the hospital in the first place in that scene where he has the fabulous pajamas on. His explanations is that the SUMO and Turn-A both meld the pilot and machine once the pilot sits in, and the pilot partially powers the unit. The Turn-X might have a more advanced version again, given that it's psycommu allows the unit to drain both other machines and their pilots of energy to power itself.

https://comfy.moe/rthkeu.webm

I don't think we see any other technology powered by the pilot anywhere else in the franchise besides G either. Another link between G and Turn I suppose. Turn-A had a few interesting technologies and Syd Mead noted in an interview I can't recall where I read off hand that the WaDoms were supposed to be grown on the Moon so he was asked to make them a bit more organic and that's why the legs have a unique texture to them aesthetically.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Turn-A may be able to self-regenerate but can it self-evolve and self-replicate?

The Turn-A uses perfected DG cells according to Tomino's setting notes along with the MG manual, and while it can almost certainly neither self evolve or self replicate it can assimilate it's nanomachines in to the Earth a la the original intention for the Ultimate Gundam as well as store and maintain other technology almost indefinitely. The show confirms that's what the mountain cycles found throughout the show are; caches of technology the Turn-A buried. Or the Turn-X more than likely in the case of the Bandit's Merrybell uses, since I'm pretty sure they were found in a mountain cycle on the Moon. It can't self repair nearly as fast as the Devil Gundam either, possibly another restraint placed on the nanomachines to prevent them going wild.

https://comfy.moe/dlfqpd.webm

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Those are abilities of the dark gundam...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Logicblade posted:

Those are abilities of the dark gundam...

You mean Devil Gundam? :anime:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
But with whose help???

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xinder posted:

But with whose help???

With the help of Rain?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who needs Rain when you can do it WITH THE HELP OF KIYOJI

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
hey... have you seen this man?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

hey... have you seen this man?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Anyone have any idea why Gundam Wing (rather, ガンダムW) is currently trending on Twitter? Seems to have something to do with TWO-MIX but...well, I can't read Japanese.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Anyone have any idea why Gundam Wing (rather, ガンダムW) is currently trending on Twitter? Seems to have something to do with TWO-MIX but...well, I can't read Japanese.
Tokyo MX is airing Gundam Wing, I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

funnily enough a lot of the tweets trying to give like, context on the series for teenagers, mention how popular it was overseas

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Moon Gundam started getting translated. I like the hero being from Moon Moon, but it's yet again Neo Zeon with Minerva.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad we are one step closer to Frozen Teardrop.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Moon Gundam started getting translated. I like the hero being from Moon Moon, but it's yet again Neo Zeon with Minerva.

It’s literally an early draft of Unicorn that they thought was interesting enough to turn into its own thing, so that’s not exactly surprising.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

chumbler posted:

I'm glad we are one step closer to Frozen Teardrop.

They're gonna announce a Gundam Wing OVA but it's gonna be G-Unit

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s literally an early draft of Unicorn that they thought was interesting enough to turn into its own thing, so that’s not exactly surprising.

That's actually more interesting: it means it won't end up with everyone dead except Minerva and a "See the end in Unicorn!"

Edit: And the main character is already a hundred times more interesting than Banagher.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They're gonna announce a Gundam Wing OVA but it's gonna be G-Unit

I searched my heart and found that I would be okay with this.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I searched my heart and found that I would be okay with this.

Only if 50 gets a cameo.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Only if 50 gets a cameo.

50 does a concert at the L4 colony cluster, but finds out the concert promoter lost the money to OZ. So he's given a gundam as payment instead and goes to hunt them down.

He finds out he and Tony Yayo are newtypes despite it being the wrong series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

OneMoreTime posted:

50 does a concert at the L4 colony cluster, but finds out the concert promoter lost the money to OZ. So he's given a gundam as payment instead and goes to hunt them down.

Yo Fifty, grab that mobile suit!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
the 50-zone is an extension of his latent new-type abilities

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Haman stole his skull.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

chiasaur11 posted:

Yo Fifty, grab that mobile suit!
Yo Fiddy, hit that bigass space-ramp!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Newtype connections are the Fiddy Zone, except instead of feeling unparalleled empathy he feels nothing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you wouldn't think helicopters would be practical in space but 50 ends up blowing one up every chapter anyway

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

OneMoreTime posted:

This would own a lot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

you wouldn't think helicopters would be practical in space but 50 ends up blowing one up every chapter anyway

It's all Tomliats and Murphys as far as the eye can see.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/heeraroroo/status/965979095959003136

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The dress broke my brain.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 23, 2018