Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Squalid posted:

What does Cossack actually mean in this 21st context

They're still a distinct group with a lot of "warrior race" baggage that the gangs and paramilitaries exploit. Obviously most are just people, but a lot of young men get conned into playing brownshirt for the elite and beating up gays, Muslims, etc. and generally just being lovely thugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Is there evidence of the 350 Wagner casualties besides hearsay? Or did the 200 unscathed guys carry them all off?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A Bag of Milk posted:

Assad and SDF were just sending each other offers for a settlement and possibly working together to defend Afrin a few weeks ago. Seems like a missed opportunity for serious negotiations especially given their shared enemies in HTS and Turkey. I guess it wouldn't really work since they're just proxys of greater powers who hate each other and want leverage over each other more than peace, but an escalating shooting war between the two groups is such an unfortunate bloodbath that just feels super unnecessary.

https://twitter.com/aronlund/status/964276480195944449?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

The regime is everyones best friend until it's not.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Volkerball posted:

Morsi himself came to power because of the military. They distanced themselves from Mubarak and came out in favor of the protesters, which was a huge reason the revolution in Egypt was relatively painless. At that point, Egypt was already at the mercy of the military, and they had sided with democracy. While I have no doubt that Sisi and co were pulling strings near the end to foster as much discontent as possible (~the biggest protests in human history~), it was clear to me at the time Morsi had lost the public to a degree that made it really unlikely he was going to be able to keep things together until the end of his term.

The system Morsi was elected into was an absolute joke. He was elected president before the role of president was even defined. They started negotiating the details afterwards. So putting a pause on things, redoing the constitution, and then holding another election after poo poo had been fixed a bit wasn't a bad idea. But Sisi managed to build up a weird cult of personality freakishly quick, and he was able to violently take control to the cheers of people who had just stood up against military dictatorship like 2 years prior. I still don't know how he pulled that off, especially given how incompetent he's shown himself to be since then. It's like the whole country just fell into his lap with barely a whimper.

yep that's the Middle East for ya. The issues generally do not necessarily tend to be ideological, they tend to be organizational failures. I think the real problem there is that Kurdistan continues to not have a country for itself & that is causing serious trouble & unrest in the region

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

A Bag of Milk posted:

Assad and SDF were just sending each other offers for a settlement and possibly working together to defend Afrin a few weeks ago. Seems like a missed opportunity for serious negotiations especially given their shared enemies in HTS and Turkey. I guess it wouldn't really work since they're just proxys of greater powers who hate each other and want leverage over each other more than peace, but an escalating shooting war between the two groups is such an unfortunate bloodbath that just feels super unnecessary.

Not sure if you've noticed but Assad's approach to regaining control of Syria has not featured a ton of diplomacy and compromise. He's going to ask for unconditional surrender and submission to his authority. He will use force to both incentivise and achieve this.

If the Kurds surrender to Assad he will probably protect the clay they live on. Not so much the people - there will probably be a purge of those involved in the SDF and Kurdish armed groups and governance positions. If they don't, they will get the exact same treatment everyone else got.

In the end, having a foreign power unfairly (and temporarily) occupying a slice of his country is going to look a lot more palatable to a strongman than an independent or autonomous region that looks like it "won".

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 16, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A Bag of Milk posted:

The SDF holding the oil fields with US support are mostly local Arabs and remnants from the former southern front FSA who (reasonably) don't give a poo poo about Afrin. There were rumors that the YPG tried making a deal with Assad to let him reclaim the oil in exchange for assistance for Afrin, but it's not their territory to deliver.

Now that the war against ISIS has mostly faded into the background, the US doesn't really need the YPG as much in general, and they're really more of a liability than an asset at this point since they cause so much friction with Turkey. The problem for the US is just that the YPG flipping to Assad would leave the oil producing territory we actually care about that much more isolated and surrounded, but hey we're keeping Tanf open despite no longer being relevant, so maybe we'd keep saying YOLO and occupying the oil wells just because we can. It's not like Trump has been subtle about wanting to steal resource wealth when we intervene.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 16, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
its not even that much oil, is the thing

also ignoring ISI in iraq when they got down to a few hundred guys is how we got ISIS in the first loving place and I know you know this! I'm not posting at you when I'm posting at you, but... I GOTTA POST!

I feel like a massive tragedy is developing and the general run of folks aren't gonna see it coming until its too late because there's too much other bullshit in the media right now.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 16, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Tortuga posted:

Is there evidence of the 350 Wagner casualties besides hearsay? Or did the 200 unscathed guys carry them all off?

One of the reasons every discussion thread about the SCW is so psychotic is because the conflict is so hazardous to reporters that most of everything is based on secondhand hearsay from sources on the ground, or at least exists in the Schroedinger realm of paradoxical superposition until ~48hrs or so passes and a prevailing narrative takes hold over the event in question. I've seen similar figures crop up in enough disparate places to be satisfied with the 80-100 dead figure with another hundred or two wounded with one wounded in response. Also "wounded" doesn't necessarily mean you're in a stretcher. Someone can get pretty hosed up and still walk/carry their corpus away.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I seem to remember someone posting awhile back that either the Russians or the Syrian Army asked the US for permission to collect their dead and wounded and that it was granted. Perhaps that's how they evacuated the more serious casualties.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm having trouble finding the original quote, but back during the height of white mercenaries in Africa in the post-WWII struggles, some Euro politician quipped something like:

"the thing to keep in mind with mercenaries is that so many of them live to write their memoirs."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

HorrificExistence posted:

At the end of the soviet union they signed a law allowing them to form hosts again.

as to what they do today...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/26/russia-cossacks-cadets-volgograd

and music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHCwjHhUvIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1zxejuYKM

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

One of the reasons every discussion thread about the SCW is so psychotic is because the conflict is so hazardous to reporters that most of everything is based on secondhand hearsay from sources on the ground, or at least exists in the Schroedinger realm of paradoxical superposition until ~48hrs or so passes and a prevailing narrative takes hold over the event in question. I've seen similar figures crop up in enough disparate places to be satisfied with the 80-100 dead figure with another hundred or two wounded with one wounded in response. Also "wounded" doesn't necessarily mean you're in a stretcher. Someone can get pretty hosed up and still walk/carry their corpus away.

You have to be careful with "disparate sources," least you fall into the same trap that caught the New York Times before the Iraq War when they were verifying statements from their sources in the Bush administration by comparing them with statements from Iraqi exiles. The same Iraqi exiles it turned out were the intelligence sources for Bush's intelligence agencies.

Really though the Syrian Civil war is remarkably well documented compared to other recent conflicts. In Afghanistan the only information available today on some regions are like "October 2013 Afghan government press release claims they evicted Taliban from district center." or "March 2017 Taliban publication includes region in list districts for which they control at 95% of territory, excluding district capital." Yemen is less opaque than Afghanistan, but still the scope of available data is much less than for Syria, which makes it much harder to tell what's going on.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Volkerball posted:

That isn't firing back.

How would you define firing 125mm tank rounds at people? Or do you mean they stopped firing when the bombs started dropping from the various things they could not effectively shoot at?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Warbadger posted:

How would you define firing 125mm tank rounds at people? Or do you mean they stopped firing when the bombs started dropping from the various things they could not effectively shoot at?

What is to be gained from this conversation. I posted the quote from the source. It wasn't a riddle.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Volkerball posted:

What is to be gained from this conversation. I posted the quote from the source. It wasn't a riddle.

I was just pointing out that the source's quote implies they rolled up to 3 miles from the base and then got bombed without returning fire. This seems inconsistent with the only video footage of the encounter floating around, which clearly shows their tank firing its 125mm gun before getting hit with a bomb. The only way this part of his account makes sense is if he omitted the mercs opening fire to kick off the engagement and "no return fire" means they stopped shooting after they started to take fire themselves.

Anyways, just seems like a strange take because he never mentions the mercenaries firing at the SDF - only taking fire.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 16, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Warbadger posted:

I was just pointing out that the source's quote implies they rolled up to 3 miles from the base and then got bombed without returning fire. This seems inconsistent with the only video footage of the encounter floating around, which clearly shows their tank firing its 125mm gun before getting hit with a bomb. The only way this part of his account makes sense is if he omitted the mercs opening fire to start the engagement and "no return fire" means they stopped shooting after they started to take fire themselves.

I read that statement to mean they didn't attempt to engage the aircraft, rather than an attempt to claim they did not actually attempt to attack a YPG position.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Yeah the way I read it it was:

Battalion rolls up, begins firing artillery, tanks.
Gets hit.
Stops firing and withdraws.
US CAS allows them to withdraw.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
Those darn dishonorable aircraft.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

RaffyTaffy posted:

Those darn dishonorable aircraft.

Really ruined the surprise attack!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Bip Roberts posted:

quote:

Gets hit.
Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Dangit, you could've gone with "talk poo poo, get hit".

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah but this was an extremely vicious defense. Like enough to see most people escaping the attack were losing a limb or two. A battalion out in the open vs a highlyly motivated highly equipped force with air assets ranging from close air to orbiting bombardment. Losing 100 shows the U.S forces knew it was a PMC and made a bloody nose show of force. No russian is going to go gently caress with us bases now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Scrambling F-22s to the area was a pretty big signal for Russia not to get any cute ideas about sending air support next time either.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sinteres posted:

Scrambling F-22s to the area was a pretty big signal for Russia not to get any cute ideas about sending air support next time either.

Which is part of how these PMCs hide in the shadiw of the real militaries. Such that when these PMCs do a thorough job liberating somethiggn its "US Forces In the area Capture xxx with air support" or "Russian SOF Troops capture xxx" in reality its treasure hunter sergey in a blue striped shirt. No one questions US Military forces being assisted by US Military air assets. but a PMC Supported by soverign air assets? THat's a pretty quick way to be a State Sponsor of Terror

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Warbadger posted:

He is right though, you can argue that an attacker isn't firing back, since he is the one firing first

And if after that the attacker is obliterated, he obviously can't fire back, either!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

LeoMarr posted:

Which is part of how these PMCs hide in the shadiw of the real militaries. Such that when these PMCs do a thorough job liberating somethiggn its "US Forces In the area Capture xxx with air support" or "Russian SOF Troops capture xxx" in reality its treasure hunter sergey in a blue striped shirt. No one questions US Military forces being assisted by US Military air assets. but a PMC Supported by soverign air assets? THat's a pretty quick way to be a State Sponsor of Terror

Wait, who is not currently a state sponsor of terror?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is a good thread.

https://twitter.com/LibyanBentBladi...90%7Ctwterm%5E1

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

Wait, who is not currently a state sponsor of terror?

I was going to say “Nauru” but then I realized poo poo, even they are running a concentration camp.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Saladman posted:

I was going to say “Nauru” but then I realized poo poo, even they are running a concentration camp.

Well they're taking money to have one on their island. I don't know if that counts as running.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
State sponsored by terrorism.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Saladman posted:

Swaziland?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Saladman posted:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Well they're taking money to have one on their island. I don't know if that counts as running.

:australia: yay

:smith:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean it's not like Australia is militarily forcing them to do so. You can't murder someone for money just because you need to pay for your cancer treatment or whatever. If you could, then Breaking Bad would have been a lot shorter.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
https://twitter.com/CNNTURK_ENG/status/964411301303787523?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

This seems strange and nonsensical although Tillerson was just in Turkey saying that there's no daylight between the US and Turkey on Syria so who knows. Also there was just the general strike against the SDF in Manbij due to forced conscription and then another one even more recently due to the PYD alledgedly torturing two guys to death, so it looks like the SDF/US administration is wearing out some goodwill. Compared to Turkey though, lol. Turkey's been playing a really long game with Manbij. They made a serious play for it in the 1920s iirc.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/s...90%7Ctwterm%5E3

I actually lmaoed irl

A Bag of Milk fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 16, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

One day they'll pass a law to forbid using the phrase "Nauruan Death Camp".

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Saladman posted:

I mean it's not like Australia is militarily forcing them to do so. You can't murder someone for money just because you need to pay for your cancer treatment or whatever. If you could, then Breaking Bad would have been a lot shorter.

Nauru depends pretty much entirely on Australian goodwill and financial aid though. They have no other industry since we extracted all their phosphates. It's like taking a job as a cop under capitalism. They are being forced to, but it's still immoral.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 16, 2018

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sinteres posted:

It was probably just whatever was ready to go. When a large scale attack like that is headed straight for a base with artillery fire ahead of it there isn't a lot of time to pick and choose which planes with bombs on them are going to respond.

They probably responded with everything on station and ready on the ground, hence the mix of things.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 16, 2018

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

A Bag of Milk posted:

https://twitter.com/CNNTURK_ENG/status/964411301303787523?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

This seems strange and nonsensical although Tillerson was just in Turkey saying that there's no daylight between the US and Turkey on Syria so who knows.

Tillerson supposedly met without a translator and on his own initiative lol. So I'll honestly be amazed if all this doesn't just result in another round of miscommunication and Sultan Erdogan screaming about being betrayed by the US again.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

Tillerson supposedly met without a translator and on his own initiative lol. So I'll honestly be amazed if all this doesn't just result in another round of miscommunication and Sultan Erdogan screaming about being betrayed by the US again.

No translator and no aides, and obviously Tillerson himself has no real experience with diplomacy. US foreign policy is run by even bigger morons than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Huh, the UK's actually going to go ahead with charging two people who went and joined the YPG:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/16/british-man-aidan-james-fought-isis-syria-charged-terror-offences
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...p-a8199796.html

quote:

A British man who travelled to Syria to fight against Islamic State has been charged with terror offences, police have said.

Aidan James, 27, from Merseyside, is accused of the preparation of a terrorist act and attending a place used for terrorist training, after he joined the Syrian Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG), which the British government has openly supported since Isis declared an “Islamic caliphate” in 2014.

James is due to appear at Westminster magistrates court on Friday.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester police said: “Aidan James, of no fixed abode, has been charged with one count of preparation of terrorist acts contrary to section 5 of the Terrorism Act 2006 and two counts of attendance at a place used for terrorist training contrary to section 8 of the Terrorism Act 2006.”

The UK government has repeatedly warned that anyone travelling to join a foreign conflict may be prosecuted. The case is the second of its kind to emerge in as many weeks.

On Wednesday, James Matthews, 43, from London, was cheered by Kurdish supporters and other returned anti-Isis fighters as he appeared in court charged with one count of attending a place used for terrorist training. He pleaded not guilty.

Dozens of British men – and one woman – have joined the YPG since the first volunteers began arriving there in autumn 2014. While most, until now, have been questioned by counter-terror officers upon their return, James and Matthews are the first to be charged under the Terrorism Act.

The charges signal a significant shift in how the British government treats citizens who volunteer to fight Isis in northern Syria.

The British, along with the US, France and other EU nations, have provided military, financial and tactical support for the YPG since 2014.

But it is considered a terrorist organisation by the Turkish government, which has applied continuing pressure on western governments to treat returning volunteers as terrorists.
Going and joining the YPG is not a good idea for a whole host of reasons, but the UK actually going and charging people is a bit unexpected (well, at least it's kinda odd from my point of view). I mean, Turkey is quite happy to call the YPG a terrorist group, but the UK has been supporting the YPG as part of the anti-ISIS coalition, and it seems like this might cause a bit of a rift between the UK and the other big members of the anti-ISIS coalition (I'm thinking of the US and France specifically when I say that).