Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
this is the worst moomin page yet!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
How did she know she could go into Patrick's mind?

Why was Patrick unable to follow her into Feral's mind?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

We interrupt unfolding 'plot' for this important message.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So Feral is unconscious because Allison entered her mind. And Allison could jump into Feral's mind only because she was in Patrick's mind. But Feral isn't a telepath. Now that she's not in Patrick's mind anymore, she can't jump back out. And since she can't jump back out, Feral can't wake up.

Neither of them ever woke up. The end.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
that last panel is like the comic itself is tired of this plotline

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is that why she's unconsious? I thought she was just having a nap.

Flesh Forge posted:

e: Feral, the butch lesbian brawler that rips people to pieces with her bare hands, drinks cheap whiskey in honky tonk bars, has an inner mindscape that is anime furry bullshit. Such good, very twist

all wow

Guess what all these orchids represent, the shibe meme from 3 years ago.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Also god drat, cankles are twice as thick as her neck now :gonk:

Cat Mattress posted:

So Feral is unconscious because Allison entered her mind. And Allison could jump into Feral's mind only because she was in Patrick's mind. But Feral isn't a telepath. Now that she's not in Patrick's mind anymore, she can't jump back out. And since she can't jump back out, Feral can't wake up.

NOT SO FAST! They're both actually in Patrick's mind now. Patrick is not bright enough to understand or realize this but Alison is.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Emrikol posted:

How did she know she could go into Patrick's mind?

Why was Patrick unable to follow her into Feral's mind?

Feral is a lesbian the cure for anything male of course.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Did you forget ... THE ANIMA :bigtran:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Flesh Forge posted:

Did you forget ... THE ANIMA :bigtran:

Making the author a TERF :catstare:

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Emrikol posted:

"Why can Allison enter people's minds while they're sleeping?"

This is the big one for me, pretty sure we went from feral and Allison standing over Patrick saying “well gently caress, now what?” straight into Allison being in his mind. HOW do you just gloss over that?!?

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013
I’m impressed with how much effort the artist and author have gone through to make Feral less interesting since Alison forced whats-his-face to make her better at regenerating or whatever. She’s had all this screen time since then and yet I don’t really care about her more than I did in her introduction chapter.

She even got a girlfriend, but most of that just happened without showing anything interesting other than a couple of quirky awkward interactions between the two when they barely know each other. Then boom, we are to assume they have been dating for months. I know this comic isn’t really about them dating, but it would have been nice to see that develop in a way that made them seem like fully fleshed out characters!

Then of course her design is soft like everyone else in this comic. It really sticks out how cutesy she is now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

If only that could be the end to this series.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Then they can replace it with the mild adventures of Clevin. Like him going to the funeral, dealing with the loss. Wishing he had been there to save Allison. Then his slow recovery and making pasta... for the people.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Why does jumping into a person's mind render them catatonic? Was that ever established?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ashweh posted:

I’m impressed with how much effort the artist and author have gone through to make Feral less interesting since Alison forced whats-his-face to make her better at regenerating or whatever. She’s had all this screen time since then and yet I don’t really care about her more than I did in her introduction chapter.

She even got a girlfriend, but most of that just happened without showing anything interesting other than a couple of quirky awkward interactions between the two when they barely know each other. Then boom, we are to assume they have been dating for months. I know this comic isn’t really about them dating, but it would have been nice to see that develop in a way that made them seem like fully fleshed out characters!

Then of course her design is soft like everyone else in this comic. It really sticks out how cutesy she is now.

Yeah this was a big disappointment for me, it's gone from art that looked appropriate to the character to Josh Lesnick style cartoony fluffy powderpuff lesbian, all of the tragedy and pathos that made Feral interesting has been sprinkled with fairy dust and glitter :jerkbag:

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Typical Pubbie posted:

Why does jumping into a person's mind render them catatonic? Was that ever established?

nothing about these mental mindscapes was ever established

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hate to say it, but some of this does make sense. This whole episode started out with Alison getting dragged into Patrick's mind. Alison figured she'd let herself get dragged in completely to get the conspiracy info before Patrick croaked. From this, I suppose we're meant to infer that Feral's been dragged in too and now we're in Patrick's visualization of Feral's mind. That Patrick has visualizations of other people's minds was established earlier too.

What doesn't make sense is why instead of being slowly dragged in like Alison was, Feral was just sucked in immediately, or for that matter why Alison was the only one sucked in to begin with. I guess we can infer that Alison is very special to Patrick and that's why she's singled out, but that just begs the question.

This is all besides the point anyway because nothing's been resolved or even approaching a resolution. The "why is this happening" that we really should be talking about isn't about dumb sci-fi bullshit, but about the narrative thrust of the issue. Nobody really wants anything. Alison only sort of wants the conspiracy info since she'll let herself get sidetracked for no good reason, Anima doesn't really want to overthrow Menace, Menace isn't a character at all, and Feral is just there. The only person who actually wants anything in this story is Lord Boy, and he can just get that by having Alison get out of his head, only nobody knows how to loving do that, Alison included! Maybe that means Lord Boy's the main character now, I don't know.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
In a shocking twist, Strong Female Protagonist has actually been about the weak male antagonist all along!!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Don't call Clevin weak! He is just soft, very very soft.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Axe-man posted:

Don't call Clevin weak! He is just soft, very very soft.

Lol, I actually meant Patrick, I feel Clevin's softness blurs the boundary between protagonist and antagonist, male and female, strenght and weeknes.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

sweeperbravo posted:

Lol, I actually meant Patrick, I feel Clevin's softness blurs the boundary between protagonist and antagonist, male and female, strenght and weeknes.

calf and ankle

Seriously, what's the point of this chapter even supposed to be? What purpose are they trying to serve here?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cat Mattress posted:

Actually they are both extremely woke hth

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The chapter before this was the one with the professor and her talking for months for no reason whatsoever too.

This story has no plot and the author has no idea how to write one.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The Feral that Allison sees right now is a distillation of some aspect of her personality and it's outlook, and what she thinks of that part of herself.

That means that having bushy armpits is an integral part of Feral's self image.

I can't give a commentary on Allison's :words: because I spent my time thinking about the implications of the art choices, vis-a-vis body hair. So I guess I have to eat crow on that too. Art can distracted from the writing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Can someone please tell the artist that tears don't form on the outer edge of the eyes?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Galvanik posted:

The Feral that Allison sees right now is a distillation of some aspect of her personality and it's outlook, and what she thinks of that part of herself.

That means that having bushy armpits is an integral part of Feral's self image.

I can't give a commentary on Allison's :words: because I spent my time thinking about the implications of the art choices, vis-a-vis body hair. So I guess I have to eat crow on that too. Art can distracted from the writing.

That's what jumped out at you? And not the whole baby-chihuahua-cat thing?

I get that Feral has weird cat-eyeballs because of her personal mutation, but it's real weird that her personal self-image is even more animalistic. And incredibly short. Unless this is just her freudian lord boy psychological equivalent.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
mulligan can only connect with a gay woman from deep south poverty, which he only included in the first place because he knew he needed some diversity for the audience and then had to put the spotlight on because she's the only character that anyone liked even though he's deeply uncomfortable writing her, if he visualises her as a cute benevolent alien that swears

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The problem isn't so much that Feral is an anime cat girl because, sure, whatever.

The problem is that exploring a character's mental mindscape should be an excuse to break out the surrealist representational mental imagery. It's the kind of thing that's a little pretentious, but that artists usually love, because it's a chance to simultaneously stretch your artistic talents, say something about the character without using words, and do something unusual and unexpected. Instead, we get... this. Dandelions and fuzzy ears. loving nothing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The problem isn't so much that Feral is an anime cat girl because, sure, whatever.

The problem is that exploring a character's mental mindscape should be an excuse to break out the surrealist representational mental imagery. It's the kind of thing that's a little pretentious, but that artists usually love, because it's a chance to simultaneously stretch your artistic talents, say something about the character without using words, and do something unusual and unexpected. Instead, we get... this. Dandelions and fuzzy ears. loving nothing.

But then we'd miss out on all this thrilling god drat plot. Look at those visuals in that other comic. They're so visual and distracting I can't tell a single loving thing that's going on! You can't possibly tell a story with visual design, ever!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Where the mild things are.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

artistic talents

think you got your answer right there

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
So is there any chance Allison will be confronted with the manifestation of excruciating, unimaginable torment that Feral must endure, or has that part of her character been completely abandoned in favor of fuzzy creole stereotype?

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 17, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

All of that has been sprinkled with magical fairy dust and we don't think about that any more :glomp:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

super sweet best pal posted:

New thread title right loving here.

Typical Pubbie posted:

So is there any chance Allison will be confronted with the manifestation of excruciating, unimaginable torment that Feral must endure, or has that part of her character been completely abandoned in favor of fuzzy creole stereotype?

Sorry bub this comic is about being as soft and unthreateningly faux-woke as possible now. Magical lesbian happiness has obliterated all that.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

Yeah going into Feral's mind somehow could at least be a way of kind of exploring the fact that despite how fuzzy and happy she's been in this chapter, she's only a few weeks out from having spent a supposedly (there's really no sense at all of how long time passes) long time having to endure being constantly cut open and having vital organs pulled out of her.

50/50 it's touched on at all and slim chance it's explored in any slightly interesting way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Also the style transition on this is really starting to remind me of Louis Wain.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Typical Pubbie posted:

The fans don't want that, they want lesbian fanfiction, and if this comic exists to do anything, it's to give the fans what they want.

Legit, this does read like a super tame fanfiction version of another, better story, complete with self-insert idealized love interests, queer baiting, and dark serious backstories for characters that didn't need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's what jumped out at you? And not the whole baby-chihuahua-cat thing?
It just seemed weird to me. I've occasionally wished I was a dog and could just run full speed into a flock of seagulls, or wanted to be a bird to fly around. So her having some animal chimera as a mind personality doesn't seem that notable. I mean she named herself Feral. She's obviously pretty keen on the animal aesthetic.

But I've probably gone years without thinking of my armpit hair. It'd be like if my mental image of myself included a birthmark under my hair that I couldn't see. Yet for Feral it's apparently important enough that it's part of her psychic self image. I guess it's different for women, being told they should shave it off, and she's deliberately bucking that expectation.

The point is, thinking about the implications of this throwaway art choice is far more interesting than the actual plot of the story.

• Locked thread