Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Best: 13 (flying sand serpent), 5 (bird), 3 (knight), 10 (sandworm)

Worst: 9 (turtle), 15 (minotaur with cleaver), 12 (weird aqua teeth thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

The toughest colossus is the controller which does not make the man do the thing.

Just beat the last third of the game in a sitting. The ending is good but getting there was not fun for me

I enjoyed it thoroughly but I wish the updated controls had included a camera that doesn't just do whatever it wants all the time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My least favourites are geysers, the scared of fire one, and wall climber yeah, although I dislike the former two way more than the latter one for sure.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I actually think that Kuromori (8/wall climber) is kinda cool. I love the arena you fight him in, and I like that he moves fast and doesn't require a lot of waiting. It's cool that you can knock him down from all sorts of vantage points, and he'll stay down longer if he falls from higher.

I forgot about the 14th one. The city is a cool concept but I wish they changed it up. Having to climb on the same pillar 6 times is really boring.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really don't think any of them are bad. Some are better than others. Most are great. But half of them can be really loving annoying at times.

There wasn't really one I disliked but certain moments really wore my patience thin in tyool 2018.The camera really drove me nuts at times and felt like it was actively trying to spite me in a few fights. "allright here's a good angle" "lol nope we are gonna look at this zoomed in brick wall sorry u died!"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would say for the sake of anyone who hasn't played it yet it would be cool if we could spoiler the later Colossus names/concepts :D

I think the final few are very nice surprises

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What if one of the collosus was into waxing

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I now have a 4k TV and I feel like my launch ps4 is holding me back. What's the best way to get a pro? Do I just try and sell it to someone and then pay the difference?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Anyone else play SOTC for the first time and just....not feel it? The controls are really strange to me, and while I totally respect the "game is art" rebuttle, I find the graphics really jarring.

Maybe I guess I was expecting more after all the hype from the past 10 years :shrug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BoyBlunder posted:

Anyone else play SOTC for the first time and just....not feel it? The controls are really strange to me, and while I totally respect the "game is art" rebuttle, I find the graphics really jarring.

Maybe I guess I was expecting more after all the hype from the past 10 years :shrug:

Oh we've been playing the remastered version for PS4

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Does anyone want to illuminate what the problem is with Team Icon controls. The controls, to me, aren’t an issue because everything in the games is designed to have real weight and momentum in the environment. You can’t turn on a dime, you slip and slide, you have to aim your jumps conservatively... all of this contributes to a good gaming experience to me, so it’s always weird when I hear complaints about the controls.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bust Rodd posted:

Does anyone want to illuminate what the problem is with Team Icon controls. The controls, to me, aren’t an issue because everything in the games is designed to have real weight and momentum in the environment. You can’t turn on a dime, you slip and slide, you have to aim your jumps conservatively... all of this contributes to a good gaming experience to me, so it’s always weird when I hear complaints about the controls.

It's not link to the wild or whatever the Zelda game is on the Switch

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked the controls for the most part but the jumping is janky and buggy in certain scenarios. And I personally would just prefer a horse that went in the direction I moved the stick as soon as I did it than something with more “realistic” controls (or at least something more akin to BotW’s horse controls, but according to the post above that’s a thing to be elitist about, so I dunno)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Escobarbarian posted:

I liked the controls for the most part but the jumping is janky and buggy in certain scenarios. And I personally would just prefer a horse that went in the direction I moved the stick as soon as I did it than something with more “realistic” controls (or at least something more akin to BotW’s horse controls, but according to the post above that’s a thing to be elitist about, so I dunno)

That would make several of the Colossus fights far harder when trying to aim your bow and ride at the same time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve got a request for you, my dudes. I’ve got this thing right now about shields. Maybe it’s an obsession, maybe it’s a fetish. We’ll see. I recently had two things happen to me in life. One, I found my monster hunter weapon in the Lance. There’s nothing quite like facetanking a huge monster with a giant shield. It rules. Two, I finally started playing D&D and made a dwarf with a shield. I got heavily into the concept of being a strong as poo poo chunk of meat with a shield. I’m not sure what happened but suddenly I’m a shield guy and I want more. What games have satisfying shields? Sword and shield in Skyrim always kicks rear end. I might play some of that soon. Reinhardt in Overwatch has been a recent thing for me also. I want to take big hits like a boss.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That would make several of the Colossus fights far harder when trying to aim your bow and ride at the same time.

tbf I already found this very difficult, trying to hold Triangle AND R1 while moving the right stick is awkward as gently caress

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve got this thing right now about shields.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp8Th41rBs

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve got a request for you, my dudes. I’ve got this thing right now about shields. Maybe it’s an obsession, maybe it’s a fetish. We’ll see. I recently had two things happen to me in life. One, I found my monster hunter weapon in the Lance. There’s nothing quite like facetanking a huge monster with a giant shield. It rules. Two, I finally started playing D&D and made a dwarf with a shield. I got heavily into the concept of being a strong as poo poo chunk of meat with a shield. I’m not sure what happened but suddenly I’m a shield guy and I want more. What games have satisfying shields? Sword and shield in Skyrim always kicks rear end. I might play some of that soon. Reinhardt in Overwatch has been a recent thing for me also. I want to take big hits like a boss.

dark souls

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Kilometers Davis posted:

Chivalry maybe?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I knew this would happen. Dark Souls is too hard and I’m too casual to play past the first few sections of each game :cry:

I guess I could reinstall 3 and give it another go

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

dark souls

Kilometers Davis posted:

3 is very difficult if you're not deep into the series, I'd deffo go for 2 first.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Escobarbarian posted:

tbf I already found this very difficult, trying to hold Triangle AND R1 while moving the right stick is awkward as gently caress

You don't need to hold triangle when your horse is running away from colossi

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Kilometers Davis posted:

I knew this would happen. Dark Souls is too hard and I’m too casual to play past the first few sections of each game :cry:

“I wanna be a big manly buff-&-tuff guy!”

“Here is the most shield oriented game series of all time”

“Nope too hard and scary”

An extreme lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

You don't need to hold triangle when your horse is running away from colossi

In this case it was for 13, rubbing towards it to shoot the sacs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kilometers Davis posted:

Diablo the 3rd has builds for the Crusader where you toss your shield like Captain America or bash them in the face and they both own.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Here you go.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kilometers Davis posted:

This might be right up your alley too

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

3 is very difficult if you're not deep into the series, I'd deffo go for 2 first.

For a shield run Dark Souls The First is probably the best bet, as it provides more shield options at the beginning of the game and hasn't leaned as hard into dodging as the later entries. And it's getting that remaster soon!

That being said all 3 games (probably 4 if you count Demons but I 2 handed through that game) are good for shields. Get a high stability greatshield and just stop needing to move.

E: Dark Souls 1 Unpatched is also great for Dual-Elemental-Bonewheels. They fixed it but the spin attack would stack crazy elemental damage.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Vermintide has a character that's exactly Shield Dorf, but you'll need friends.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FAUXTON posted:

dark souls

Bloodborne too :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RBA Starblade posted:

Bloodborne too :v:

isn't the whole "but it's different this time" point of bloodborne that you don't block or parry, you just dodge, shoot fuckers in the gut, and never stop hitting?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean it has shields....

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

There is literally one shield in Bloodborne and its description talks about how shields are bad if they encourage passivity

Idk if more show up later but it definitely seems like it is not in the cards

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Two after the DLC

It also sucks

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t realise Bloodborne was more about actively attacking, that makes me more interested tbh

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So neither of them have some super secret useful use that I never found out about? They were just a cruel joke by the developers?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Iirc the DLC one has high arcane resistance and some very situational use but nothing you'd rather have instead of a gun

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Kilometers Davis posted:

What games have satisfying shields?
Mass Effect 3 has Marauder Shields.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So neither of them have some super secret useful use that I never found out about? They were just a cruel joke by the developers?

Well, they do.

There some enemies in the game that have powerful arcane projectile attacks. These shields, especially the DLC one work against those

Its very limited use but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

henpod posted:

I now have a 4k TV and I feel like my launch ps4 is holding me back. What's the best way to get a pro? Do I just try and sell it to someone and then pay the difference?

Buy a Pro. Do a system transfer. Sell the old system.