Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

1stGear posted:

Wait are there actually people who killed those giants every single time? Cause that would have made me hate Anor Londo even more than I already did.

I usually do but that's because I almost always run glass cannon builds so I can kill those giants in two or three hits. I die in one or two. Shields are for neeeeerds.

Len posted:

Don't you be talking trash about Dragon rear end. The best enemy in the game.

I still love that they are literally dragon asses. At first I thought they were just called that because they looked like asses. But no, they actually are the rear end ends of those undead dragons you fight.

Vic posted:

Well there's oppressive atmosphere and then there's walking through a dark room with sunglasses on kind of darkness. It combines mazes, narrow ledges, pouncing death combo enemies + archers to make a point that no, you're not supposed to be having fun here. I have a map of every place in DS1 in my head just from one playthrough, but I don't know what that level looks like, all I know is you gotta rush through it in a specific set of steps. Yeah it's oppressive, like having someone blindfold you and then fart in your face repeatedly. The player skill check of this area is basically "But do you really wanna be playing this game?"

I feel like The Gutter in the Scholar edition of 2 actually does the dark atmosphere thing best. There's no light, it's pitch black. But there are torches to light everywhere. So you can manually illuminate the place at the cost of a shield or second weapon. It's all narrow, janky platforms like the first half of blight town but there's only like two enemy types. Big mutant dogs that are just as likely to fall off platforms to their death as you are, and largely harmless hollows usually bearing torches that show exactly where they are at all times. There are a lot of those hollows though so if you're wandering around with a torch, it's easy to get swarmed. The place is pretty maze-like and it's probably my favorite area in the whole game because of the way it's done with the darkness and how they use the torch. There are a ton of areas you can just leap and cut out half the map if you feel like it, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

I usually do but that's because I almost always run glass cannon builds so I can kill those giants in two or three hits. I die in one or two. Shields are for neeeeerds.

I still love that they are literally dragon asses. At first I thought they were just called that because they looked like asses. But no, they actually are the rear end ends of those undead dragons you fight.

I feel like The Gutter in the Scholar edition of 2 actually does the dark atmosphere thing best. There's no light, it's pitch black. But there are torches to light everywhere. So you can manually illuminate the place at the cost of a shield or second weapon. It's all narrow, janky platforms like the first half of blight town but there's only like two enemy types. Big mutant dogs that are just as likely to fall off platforms to their death as you are, and largely harmless hollows usually bearing torches that show exactly where they are at all times. There are a lot of those hollows though so if you're wandering around with a torch, it's easy to get swarmed. The place is pretty maze-like and it's probably my favorite area in the whole game because of the way it's done with the darkness and how they use the torch. There are a ton of areas you can just leap and cut out half the map if you feel like it, even.

You know, you’re right. I did enjoy the gutter. I didn’t have to force myself at all to play that section. Shame about so much of the rest of Scholar.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

People are talking about how much it sucks in the sister thread, but I'm going to bring it up here: Destiny 2's PVP is utter dogshit nonsense and a huge step down from the first game, which had better maps, game modes, and loot even at launch than D2 has six months and one expansion in.

Just being 4v4 max turned me off from ever trying it. As a bad I like it when there are lots of people running around>

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You know, you’re right. I did enjoy the gutter. I didn’t have to force myself at all to play that section. Shame about so much of the rest of Scholar.

I like Scholar more than basic Dark Souls 2. The new enemy layouts are my jam.

The Moon Monster posted:

Just being 4v4 max turned me off from ever trying it. As a bad I like it when there are lots of people running around>

They're not even running around! They're almost always either huddled together behind a doorway, or crouched behind a corner wielding a sword. In Destiny 2 trying to flank the enemy is more of a liability than a help.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah if I could only play one for the next 100 years, I'd go with Scholar for sure. Only because it would take me longer to run out of fresh new poo poo to try, and that PVP is choice

As much as I love DS1 for example, three to four playthroughs is all it took me to feel like I know Lordran maybe a little too well and I should find a new hobby or something, but I'm on my 3rd DS2 run and I still feel like I have not seen major chunks of that game or played around with all the options

Sure Drangleic isn't exactly the best in terms of design but I have fun

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I can mash buttons really well. I never gave in to the interrogation in MGS1 unless I decided to and I'm always the winner at Mario Party games that require mashing.

Yet in Bayonetta it's drat near impossible for me to max out any of the torture attack gauges. I initially played on PS3 so I figured there it had something to do with the lovely porting but now I'm playing again on PC and it's the same story. What in the actual hell are they expecting? People seem to do it no problem in videos.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

I can mash buttons really well. I never gave in to the interrogation in MGS1 unless I decided to and I'm always the winner at Mario Party games that require mashing.

Yet in Bayonetta it's drat near impossible for me to max out any of the torture attack gauges. I initially played on PS3 so I figured there it had something to do with the lovely porting but now I'm playing again on PC and it's the same story. What in the actual hell are they expecting? People seem to do it no problem in videos.

I don't remember if this is for Bayonetta or if its for other Platinum games, but even though it shows only one button as the one you should mash, all buttons work for mashing so its massively easier to slam them all then try and press one.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Barudak posted:

I don't remember if this is for Bayonetta or if its for other Platinum games, but even though it shows only one button as the one you should mash, all buttons work for mashing so its massively easier to slam them all then try and press one.

God Hand was like that, and it was in fact required for winning any mashing duel in Hard Mode, specially against Azel.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SkeletonHero posted:

Might be a framerate issue?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Convex posted:

Playing Forza Horizon 3 and it's a great game but man the amount of DLC and it's placement in the game is pretty egregious. If you just buy the game itself then you have:

Big tabs on the menu for the two DLC areas
    In-world markers for getting to the DLC areas that take you to the store
    Radio ads for DLC areas
    VIP pass ad on the menu screen
    Ad on the map screen for a treasure map
    Real cash tokens along with link to buy on upgrade / buying screens
    DLC cars interspersed with normal ones when you go to pick a vehicle
    User challenges which take you to store to buy DLC cars you don't own

Best part is that it's all loving ridiculously expensive as well. I picked up the game and Hot Wheels DLC for £19.50 and feel I got my money's worth but man I wish there was a way to switch off all this bullshit.

I love the part where they go "Hey you get a free car! What? Oh no we meant free as in you don't need to pay ingame currency! You still need to give us real money if you want to drive "your" new car!"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I went into Shadow Warrior (1997) knowing it was turbo racist - and it's definitely lived up to expectations. But I wasn't expecting Lo Wang to call a rabbit a human being. Ew.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nuebot posted:

They're not even running around! They're almost always either huddled together behind a doorway, or crouched behind a corner wielding a sword. In Destiny 2 trying to flank the enemy is more of a liability than a help.

Yeah, the Destiny 2 PVP managed to hit a perfect anti-sweet spot where the average time to kill is just long enough that flanking is nearly useless, but still short enough that having been damaged before is nearly always a death-sentence. Even if you end up in the perfect position and manage to come up behind a guy who has no idea you're there, the moment you start shooting at him he'll probably have ample time to turn around and hit you with a solid couple shots before he's down. And that means once his friend comes by to check what's up, you're boned because starting a fight at such a health-disadvantage is nearly a death sentence. And if you somehow manage to flank two enemies at once, there's a decent chance they'll take you down before you even manage to kill one of them. So most of the time the best tactic is to just blob around as a big group to maximise your firepower.

And to make it worse, all your abilities (i.e. the things that could break those stalemates) have ludicrously long cooldowns. Your super-ability comes up exactly once per match, the other abilities perhaps like five times. During one event they actually had a special game mode where the cooldowns were all cut down to almost nothing, and it was staggering just how much more fun the whole thing was. Of course, once that event passed they went back to normal and appeared to have learned exactly nothing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I went into Shadow Warrior (1997) knowing it was turbo racist - and it's definitely lived up to expectations. But I wasn't expecting Lo Wang to call a rabbit a human being. Ew.

I burst out in horrified laughter when I blew someone up and he said "ohhh! Just like Hiroshima!"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How is Destiny supposed to keep people playing constantly if it's not an mmo or a team shooter? The souls games have a modest and limited PvP scene, and you can ignore the pvp and just play the 95% of the game that is the campaign, and replay with different characters. Does Destiny even let you build different chatacters, or encourage you to start over?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's 3 different classes, and you conveniently have 3 character slots. That's about it. I got through the base game campaign with one character and started on a second before losing interest.

e: this is in Destiny 2, without expansions

I will say that it does have neat world-building, but you learn so little of it. For instance your faction (The Good Guys Literally Chosen By The God-Machine) tell you stuff about the enemies you encounter that isn't always true, and is sometimes literal projection, but I kinda wish it went further into it? Like I wanna know more about my enemies, and at some point scanning random objects and having my NaviBot wonder what it all means doesn't cut it.

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 12:29 on Feb 16, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Surge's new game+ boosts numbers way too high. I'm wearing maxed out medium armor and a significant number of health extensions and half of the attacks in the first area literally one shot me.

Nioh Complete Edition on steam is 75 loving gigabytes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I burst out in horrified laughter when I blew someone up and he said "ohhh! Just like Hiroshima!"
tbh, that's one of the most authentically Chinese things I can think of

Thing dragging EUIV down: I have paid more than 70 bux for this game and I still don't have all the features of the game because of all the DLC

It's not traingaming, but drat Paradox

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

I like Scholar more than basic Dark Souls 2. The new enemy layouts are my jam.

I never got to play basic DS2. Scholar is a loving terrible game for someone to play brand-new. Especially because if you're looking for help there's very little Scholar vs. basic that goes in-depth. The wiki is about the best source, but there's still contradictions in some areas. I would very likely enjoy Scholar if I had the opportunity to play the base game first.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I never got to play basic DS2. Scholar is a loving terrible game for someone to play brand-new. Especially because if you're looking for help there's very little Scholar vs. basic that goes in-depth. The wiki is about the best source, but there's still contradictions in some areas. I would very likely enjoy Scholar if I had the opportunity to play the base game first.

I honestly thought the Heide Tower changes at the beginning of the game were the second worst set of changes in Scholar. The worst change was stuffing a fucktillion Alonne Knights into the first part of Iron Keep. It wouldn't be that bad except Smelter Demon is one of the few bosses I don't run past everything to fight, since I want to summon Lucatiel to advance her story.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I only played the reimagining Shadow Warrior on the PS4 which is really good and has a surprisingly well written plot. Lo Wang is still an idiot, but it's played so far to excess and self parody that it's amazingly funny, and the Demon buddy possessing him has a great backstory.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm incredibly curious on the context here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I only played the reimagining Shadow Warrior on the PS4 which is really good and has a surprisingly well written plot. Lo Wang is still an idiot, but it's played so far to excess and self parody that it's amazingly funny, and the Demon buddy possessing him has a great backstory.

If this is true then you may not want to play shadow warrior 2...

Incredible gameplay and graphics but everything else, jesus

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's more of a aging-badly thing, but in the SimHeaven/SimHell game Afterlife, the game builds a lot of quirky/funny reward and punishment zones. Punishment zones can be like a ripoff of Taco Bell, or the iconic out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire deal...

Or Terrorville, a punishment for souls with the sin of Wrath, with flavor text describing it as a world that undergoes constant terrorism attacks... and its depiction is a flaming city with one tall building with an airplane crashed into it.

:smith:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Digirat posted:

I was disappointed by the gameplay. There's a lot of messing around with little mods, rather than getting cool jumps in new equipment. It's not the best approach to ARPG-style loot.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MisterBibs posted:

It's more of a aging-badly thing, but in the SimHeaven/SimHell game Afterlife, the game builds a lot of quirky/funny reward and punishment zones. Punishment zones can be like a ripoff of Taco Bell, or the iconic out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire deal...

Or Terrorville, a punishment for souls with the sin of Wrath, with flavor text describing it as a world that undergoes constant terrorism attacks... and its depiction is a flaming city with one tall building with an airplane crashed into it.

They're not wrong.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MisterBibs posted:

On a more light-hearted note, I believe the ultimate building for Gluttony somewhat precedes The Human Centipede. All the inhabitants have their mouths and behinds connected (with tubes) with a demon starting the chain. A demon who has eaten very, very spicy food.

I also remember San Quentin Scaratino (a very violent prison) and some kind of gigantic mansion where EVERYBODY is a spy but no one realizes it (paranoia and distrust reign supreme).

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Just Cause 2 has some of the worst driving mechanics I've ever witnessed in a game. Everything makes you spin out of control, even when not trying to accelerate to 20mph. Doing the timed runs already sucks when they're mostly done on two lane roads and you have to thread between cars instead of driving on the shoulder, where pylons erected every X amount of distance that make you spin out of control if hit. Whoa, bump in the road? You just got turned 90 degrees to the left/right and crashed into two trees and a military jeep. Now got the army on your rear end! I even somehow managed to get flipped over in a garbage truck when I challenged a dinky scooter head-on.

And oddly enough even with all this bullshit and many other things, still a surprisingly fun game. Wtf.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Digirat posted:

Was it made by a different studio? Compared to the remake, which had great writing, 2's writing was garbage. I just ended up skipping all of the dialogue. My main gameplay problem in 2 was that there wasn't a secondary melee button.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

Shadow Warrior reboot had a somber ending that caught me completely off guard. No deflecting with humor, no dirty joke to lighten up the mood, just tears and rain.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Samuringa posted:

Shadow Warrior reboot had a somber ending that caught me completely off guard. No deflecting with humor, no dirty joke to lighten up the mood, just tears and rain.

I appreciated that Lo Wang was actually somewhat intelligent - he correctly guessed that the demon had sealed his own memories and generally asked good questions while still being a goofy idiot. I also liked that the ending basically came down to the demons putting Wang in the corner and just going "Ok, your job is done here, so sit tight and let the grownups talk about the important stuff." All you were was a hand to hold the sword.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

On a more light-hearted note, I believe the ultimate building for Gluttony somewhat precedes The Human Centipede. All the inhabitants have their mouths and behinds connected (with tubes) with a demon starting the chain. A demon who has eaten very, very spicy food.

I also remember San Quentin Scaratino (a very violent prison) and some kind of gigantic mansion where EVERYBODY is a spy but no one realizes it (paranoia and distrust reign supreme).

I remember all of those too! The ultimate Gluttony one breaks the fourth wall by having the alleged narrator be unable to finish explaining what's going on.

For content, there are things that drag Afterlife down in general, which I think I've said before but whatever:

- The bread and butter of the game is based on efficiency. Efficient buildings evolve and improve faster, but its way too much work to micromanage each tile for efficiency at first, and it's too expensive to automatically balance everything. So what winds up happening is that your afterlifes are really lovely for a long time... until you can afford to regularly auto-balance, and then it gets crazy easy.

- Heaven runs on "Good For SimCity" rules (diverse zoning, low traffic etc), Hell runs on "lovely For SimCity" rules (monolithic zoning, high traffic, etc). This means that Heaven starts out comparatively easy and problem-free (everything is close together and traffic is low), whereas Hell will be bitching about those same traits. But as you expand in both, things reverse: Hell has no problems because everything takes forever to get everywhere, but Heaven complains non-stop.

- The fact that, due to modern sensibilities, the game will never be remade by anyone. :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MisterBibs posted:

- The fact that, due to modern sensibilities, the game will never be remade by anyone. :(

hey I found the thing that was really dumb about this particular MisterBibs post

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I don't disagree with you at all. I'd never recommend it as someone's first Dark Souls. But coming fresh off beating the first Dark Souls? It's pretty fun. It's a complete flip from the first game's layout style and I'm loving it.

Also, what contradictions are you talking about? I'm genuinely curious. The enemy placement in Scholar goes more for "lore friendly" over "poo poo that makes the game more accessible" Which is why you have a bunch of angry heide knights guarding the way to the way of blue now.

Perestroika posted:

And to make it worse, all your abilities (i.e. the things that could break those stalemates) have ludicrously long cooldowns. Your super-ability comes up exactly once per match, the other abilities perhaps like five times. During one event they actually had a special game mode where the cooldowns were all cut down to almost nothing, and it was staggering just how much more fun the whole thing was. Of course, once that event passed they went back to normal and appeared to have learned exactly nothing.

Lets not forget that during that event there was a bug that gave one specific class infinite super they could use literally every frame of animation and they didn't bother fixing it for the entire event because the only time bungie will rush out a bug fix is when it allows someone to exploit bright engrams and quickly grind out their cash shop items!

Also RE: Flanking. Another reason it's useless is that the PVP mostly takes place in team fights. So if one of your guys breaks away to try a flanking maneuver, suddenly you're 3v4 and whoops, you're taking a lot more fire than you can put out. By the time your guy reaches them it'll probably be 1v3 or something. Unlike the first game, grenades aren't even much of a help. Only like two grenades hit harder than wet noodles.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

RE4 had a dynamic difficulty that would increase or decrease the amount of enemies, ammo, and pickups depending on how you were doing. It's subtle enough that most people never noticed it. More games should have dynamic difficulty settings.

What the gently caress. I've played through RE4 4-5 times and I had no idea. :stare:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

hey I found the thing that was really dumb about this particular MisterBibs post

What? There's no way you could make the game today. Punishments like Terrorville aside, part of the game's mechanics is based on making prophets out of people on the planet, not to mention the whole "build your own religion" aspect that would piss off a lot of people.

I'd love for the folks that made Skylines to make a new Afterlife, but it'll never happen.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Feb 17, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

I'm incredibly curious on the context here.

You go to a rabbit breeding place during the game:

If two male rabbits mate, Lo Wang comes out with: http://www.soundboard.com/sb/sound/439792

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

MisterBibs posted:

What? There's no way you could make the game today. Punishments like Terrorville aside, part of the game's mechanics is based on making prophets out of people on the planet, not to mention the whole "build your own religion" aspect that would piss off a lot of people.

I'd love for the folks that made Skylines to make a new Afterlife, but it'll never happen.

Civilization VI allows you to choose your own symbol, pantheon, name, and set of beliefs to generate your custom religion. These symbols include those of most major religions. You also create prophets, both minor and "Great."

Somehow, nobody is up in arms about this.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MisterBibs posted:

this is a very big, and very untrue, claim. you seem to have made it up out of whole cloth. as a counter argument, i offer up the fact that afterlife, right now, can be bought for the price of a big mac value meal, anywhere in the world, and nobody gives even half a poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Unless it's framed in really lovely hateful ways, nobody except crazy zealots cares about religion in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MiddleOne posted:

What the gently caress. I've played through RE4 4-5 times and I had no idea. :stare:

IIRC it's a sliding difficulty scale of like 1-10 and Professional mode just pegs it at the highest setting for the whole game.