Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd agree that Toukiden's better in general, but the God Eater bullet editor is kind of neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sakurazuka posted:

God Eater is gonna seem sloppy, slow and weightless compared to actual MonHun, I don't hate it but it's like settling for the store own brand instead of the one you really like. I prefer Toukiden for not-Monster Hunter but mainly because it's like it's in constant turbo mode.

Sloppy and weightless I'll accept, but slow? Really? God Eater moves so drat fast if you're playing it properly it's surreal. I'll admit it isn't quite MH, but it's my favorite of the store brand copycats. I find Toukidens weapon and armor systems to be extremely boring, and while Mitama are cool I don't think it quite balances out. On the other hand God Eater 2 doesn't half rear end and just goes full anime everything, which is enjoyable in its own right with goofy special moves and BLOOD RAGE and such.

To be honest, which flavor of store brand knockoff one prefers is entirely due to taste. If nothing else, God Eater has volume value due to being two entire games.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The thing i hate about toukiden is the boss can’t be harmed until you spend half an hour to break off all their shell and armor. That makes it triple as long to finish one quest compares to God Eater.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno it felt slow to me, on the other hand:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 16, 2018

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

voltcatfish posted:

I dunno man, Radiant Historia was good and all but the 3DS version didn't seem to change much except give it a much worse artstyle.

I never got to play it and you can download the original art if you so choose so it's win win for me. Also the dub seems pretty great.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wait, the original character portraits are available as DLC?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wait, the original character portraits are available as DLC?

Yes, the original portraits and chibi-style portraits are DLC options.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Mulderman posted:

Oof... That Secret of Mana remake monkeypawed me real good.

It looks like a PSP game. The remixed music is horrible (at least you can switch between the original and this trash)
Gameplay is still fun though and I really dig the minimap design.

I really want them to bring over Seiken Densetsu 3 over. Or give it a remake. But not like this...

The intro is so cool, why can't they make it look like THAT?

I guess I don't hate this remake, but I don't know why you'd spend this effort and not do it right. Its weird what they chose to copy exactly, like the way the characters would stack on top of each other for dialogue and scripted movement

e: the combat is actually a bit of a downgrade. In the SNES one, smacking a bad guy's poo poo had a real good feel to it. This game is just all floaty and weird.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Really Pants posted:

I'd agree that Toukiden's better in general, but the God Eater bullet editor is kind of neat.

Toukiden 2 is also an improvement over the first one in basically every way on the gameplay side, though I liked the characters and story in 1 more. God Eater is boring with terrible characters particularly in 2, and the bullet editor is inscrutable. Its fashion game is on point, though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Danakir posted:

So if I'm waiting for Monster Hunter World to fill the void in my heart on PC, how good of a job will God Eater 2 do of temporarily soothing the pain? So to speak.

I assume you know already which is why you're asking, but just in case it's 76% (78% with the code LUNAR8) off over at fanatical for the next 8 hours or so. Pretty much a historical low, or at least close to it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I started Divinity Original Sin thanks to it being on steam sale, and not knowing much about it besides that people like it and the sequel. I happened to pick a class that starts with the talk to animals perk and wow I'm so glad I did, because the second I talked to the first generic dungeon rat I was pretty much hooked. The game's best writing is on these completely optional animals, I swear.

So yeah this game owns and after seven hours I haven't even left the starting city yet or had like any combat because there's so much to it and it all actually interests me.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I was considering pulling the trigger on the new SoM game because it would be my wife's first RPG and we could co-op it. The reviews have me a bit nervous.

Should I just emulate it instead maybe? Basically I want a couch co-op RPG, ideally a little actiony like SoM but not stats-heavy. Any other suggestions? I have a PS4, a PC, and a switch.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Saxophone posted:

I was considering pulling the trigger on the new SoM game because it would be my wife's first RPG and we could co-op it. The reviews have me a bit nervous.

Should I just emulate it instead maybe? Basically I want a couch co-op RPG, ideally a little actiony like SoM but not stats-heavy. Any other suggestions? I have a PS4, a PC, and a switch.

The original SoM is pretty good, and does indeed have co-op. The port is just... a shittier version of it :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you change the music back to the original you can almost forget...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I am enjoying the crap out of it but I'm in clearly in the minority.

What I'm actually pissed about is that Gamestop lied about the physical copy being exclusive to them, because local game stores got copies as well.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Saxophone posted:

Berseria

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SoM has coop even outside of Battle, right? That seems more suitable

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Hey, you guys want to hear some great new Secret of Mana tunes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7NSjX2UlI

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also if you're into emulation there's a romhack of secret of evermore that makes it coop

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

some guy on the bus posted:

:catstare:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm0d1D0I5p8

The uploader would like people to know that it's not his fault.

quote:

quote:

Is it missing instruments? I hope this is a bad upload. If it's not then this is terrible.
It is ripped straight from the game. Yes it is terrible and painful to listen...

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Kanfy posted:

I assume you know already which is why you're asking, but just in case it's 76% (78% with the code LUNAR8) off over at fanatical for the next 8 hours or so. Pretty much a historical low, or at least close to it.

I did, but thanks a lot! Decided to pull the trigger on it. Hopefully it fills that Monster Hunter hole nicely.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

What the hell? That sounds like a band of 5-year olds trying their hand at music for the first time

and failing

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy christ it gets worse and worse

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

lol

it was hard to imagine it getting worse after that version of into the thick of it where it sounded like two songs were playing at once

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Unironically kinda of diggin this. It's weird as gently caress and wobbly as all hell but I can dig it.

Might help that i've got no affection for any of the Mana games' music.

FAKEEDIT: I GOT TO THE DUBSTEP WUBS

gently caress YOU GUYS THIS IS AMAZING

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Unironically kinda of diggin this. It's weird as gently caress and wobbly as all hell but I can dig it.

Death to ZenMasterBullshit, enemy of Mana

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad the Eternal Ring music guy is still getting work.

Or whichever From early PS2 game I'm thinking of anyway.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Evergrace, probably.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I'm glad the Evergrace composer returned for Secret of Mana's ost

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Does this thread finally have a new addition to whenever people start posting Central City and Evergrace songs.

Edit: DANGIT my joke got double sniped

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly with the music turned to the original I'm kind of still enjoying it, it seems way easier though but I dunno if that's just because I'm not 14 any more.

Holy poo poo how did I not notice how much the magic system sucks rear end though.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I listened to some of the OST in the car today. It's.... Interesting.

Like, from a musical standpoint I see how they were trying to use modern technology to create a SNES sounding sound track only updated, but it just kind of falls flat. Plus the way it's arranged messes with the general moods of the tracks.

Right out of the gate we've got an orchestrated version of the opening theme. It's pretty, but it doesn't have the wind howling, it doesn't have that somber melancholy tone, almost of loneliness. Even the big flourish toward the end sounds muted and once it ends I'm not left with that dark turn back to melancholy loneliness. The original almost makes you want to zip up your coat a little tighter and look around for fellow humans.

This just sounds... Kinda pretty I guess?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Libluini posted:

Death to ZenMasterBullshit, enemy of Mana

I will sleep soundly tonight knowing that, like all my enemies, Mana is already dead.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone played Shadow Hearts? I am planning on starting that once I finish Persona 5. RPG and horror are some of my favorite genres. I know Shadow Hearts is suppose to be dark in terms of atmosphere/story, thats all I know.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ulio posted:

Anyone played Shadow Hearts? I am planning on starting that once I finish Persona 5. RPG and horror are some of my favorite genres. I know Shadow Hearts is suppose to be dark in terms of atmosphere/story, thats all I know.

Shadow Hearts is incredible, it's one of my favorite RPGs to this day.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

the really sad part is the bits with the wubs could be mediocre-to-acceptable music on their own divorced from the rest of the wobbly crap

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't get over how good Ys Chronicles' remixed soundtrack is and how this isn't a universal bar for all remakes to go by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

Shadow Hearts is incredible and it definitely has horror elements, really monstrous designs, lots of cthulhu nods, some real dark moments, but keep in mind that it pairs its horror with pretty broad comedy. Yuri's a real goof of a protagonist, even if he's also a pretty sympathetic character. SH1 only really goes to the comedy well a few times, and mostly in side characters, but Shadow Hearts 2 is pretty goofy even if it's also a really well written game with some legitimately great character building.

also theres some gay jokes but Persona 5, so. and SH2 just has a legitimately gay party member (as in just says "i'm gay" when a woman starts hitting on him) whos a really goofy superhero pastiche but is also the most legitimately heroic of the main characters and probably the third or fourth most well-developed of the party members.