Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Noah posted:

All this activity has got me thinking about getting a group of IRL buddies together and playing once a month on a friday or something.

I would be the only one with experience in the game, but I've forgotten a ton.

I'd like to do it old school, with no twinking or anything, and I'd play blue if it weren't for how long I think it will actually take to level. I was looking at Red and thinking the exp bonuses and the lack of population would work for us, but I also don't want to troll my friends with repeated ganks and corpse runs.

Is the exp bonus plus risk of griefing worth it?

Yes. Stay grouped and the experience on Red is insane. And there’s a solid chance you’ll ding 50 before ever dying to PVP. Some night you might get ganked somewhere, but there is rarely true griefing. Join <Sanctuary>, which is the primary leveling guild on the server. Lots of altruistic porters and guildies looking for groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

32 mage and a 20 bard that I exclusively play with an irl bud, druid.

Let us know if you and your bud want to join the goon guild.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So, mechanically, how do most Shamans juggle their spells? At 19 I'm gonna have like eight good buffs I wanna keep going all the time, at least one critical utility spell I'll wanna keep on my combat bar, three dots, a nuke, and two debuffs. Do most people basically just memorize all their buffs, buff up, then memorize a set group of DPS/utility/debuffs/CC/healing spells for actual combat?

I haven't been using the little "button set" box, but I'm thinking I'll make a button set for quick buffing and a button set for dropping dots and debuffs in the right order. Like maybe Walking Sleep, Affliction, Disempower, Spirit Strike, Healing, Gate, and Insidious Fever/Cloud as my default grinding thing?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Frog Act posted:

So, mechanically, how do most Shamans juggle their spells? At 19 I'm gonna have like eight good buffs I wanna keep going all the time, at least one critical utility spell I'll wanna keep on my combat bar, three dots, a nuke, and two debuffs. Do most people basically just memorize all their buffs, buff up, then memorize a set group of DPS/utility/debuffs/CC/healing spells for actual combat?

I haven't been using the little "button set" box, but I'm thinking I'll make a button set for quick buffing and a button set for dropping dots and debuffs in the right order. Like maybe Walking Sleep, Affliction, Disempower, Spirit Strike, Healing, Gate, and Insidious Fever/Cloud as my default grinding thing?

Keep one slot dedicated to buffs which you cycle out depending on what needs to be refreshed. I typically will keep up my nuke, heal, slow, root, one or two dots (depending on group or solo), a buff slot, malo, and gate. If you're root rotting, the extra dot can replace slow.

Saved spells sets aren't available on this server anymore. They patched them for not being "classic."

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Let us know if you and your bud want to join the goon guild.

We're in Black Hearts right now and it's p. chill, though pubbie as gently caress. I might throw my mage in the goon guild tho since I mostly solo on him.

Frog Act posted:

Here was my level 60 lineup from Kunark->PoP (You can pick whatever order you want)

1: Highest level slow, never unmemorize it.
2: Highest level malise
3: Dot 1 if soloing / buffs / whatever
4: Dot 2 if soloing / buffs / whatever
5: Cannibalize, never unmemorize it.
6: Root, never unmemorize it.
7: Torpor (Or Regeneration)
8: Heal, never unmemorize it.

The gist is that (at 60), you basically have 2 free slots. If you're soloing you can load up dots or nukes. If you're grouping, you'll be rotating buffs through them, or using them for DD if your group is really good / you've got clarity. Given that you're only 19, you've got 4 free slots, losing tw of them at 24 when you get regeneration and cannibalize. Don't keep gate up, git gud or learn not to die or something.

A Couple Shaman Notes:

1. Slows don't really come into their own until you get the 29 one? Tagar's insects? It does 25% iirc, 50% at 39, 75% at 51. Walking sleep is I think 15%, so it's not that useful. It's the key ability of shaman though. Once you get Tagar's Insects, it becomes far more mana efficient to slow a mob than heal through its damage. Landing a slow on something hitting you buys you time to root it, heal, ignore it, whatever so never unmemorize slow. In live, I have died on live because I unmemorized slow and was unable to land and stick a root long enough to heal or memorize slow or whatever. Always keep slow memorized.

2. Malise doesn't really become useful until after 29 imo, and it's there for mana efficiency to ensure you don't have to tank an unslowed mob in the face because it resisted slow.

3. Poison dot lasts a minute. Disease dot lasts ~2.5 poison poison dots. The disease dot is really efficient iirc, the poison dot less so. Evaluate whether or not it's worth it to use the disease dot, and whether or not you should debuff with insidious fever/malady/whatever.

4. Root Rotting > Root Shooting. Tanking IN TEH FACE > all if you have a good weapon and decent gear and the monsters aren't beast nasty. Plus points if you're in bear form.

5. Learn to time your cannibalize with med ticks, especially while root / rotting.

6. HP == Mana, so always get HP. Wisdom is only really helpful in oh-poo poo situations.

7. Buffs:

Dexterity buff is useless to anyone that doesn't have a proccing weapon, so ignore it unless someone does. Inner fire and your AC line are outclassed by every other buff in that slot in the game.

Early on, before Cann II, buffing can be tough, especially when you get haste. You should draw some lines as far as who gets what when if you're having trouble keeping up with mana. If the group is stable and wiping is a non-starter, only the puller needs SoW. If you're getting nothing but single pulls and aggro rarely leaves the tank, only the tank needs regeneration. Etc. For soloing, only worry about stamina, agility, AC, regen, SoW and whatever HP buff you have.

E: Man, I want to play a shaman now.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 16, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Keep one slot dedicated to buffs which you cycle out depending on what needs to be refreshed. I typically will keep up my nuke, heal, slow, root, one or two dots (depending on group or solo), a buff slot, malo, and gate. If you're root rotting, the extra dot can replace slow.

Saved spells sets aren't available on this server anymore. They patched them for not being "classic."

Thanks! I think I'm gonna try to roll around with this set up and probably drop dexterity aura altogether since my censer can't proc and it seems like thats the only bonus it has.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

We're in Black Hearts right now and it's p. chill, though pubbie as gently caress. I might throw my mage in the goon guild tho since I mostly solo on him.

Here was my level 60 lineup from Kunark->PoP (You can pick whatever order you want)

1: Highest level slow, never unmemorize it.
2: Highest level malise
3: Dot 1 if soloing / buffs / whatever
4: Dot 2 if soloing / buffs / whatever
5: Cannibalize, never unmemorize it.
6: Root, never unmemorize it.
7: Torpor (Or Regeneration)
8: Heal, never unmemorize it.

The gist is that (at 60), you basically have 2 free slots. If you're soloing you can load up dots or nukes. If you're grouping, you'll be rotating buffs through them, or using them for DD if your group is really good / you've got clarity. Given that you're only 19, you've got 4 free slots, losing tw of them at 24 when you get regeneration and cannibalize. Don't keep gate up, git gud or learn not to die or something.

A Couple Shaman Notes:

1. Slows don't really come into their own until you get the 29 one? Tagar's insects? It does 25% iirc, 50% at 39, 75% at 51. Walking sleep is I think 15%, so it's not that useful. It's the key ability of shaman though. Once you get Tagar's Insects, it becomes far more mana efficient to slow a mob than heal through its damage. Landing a slow on something hitting you buys you time to root it, heal, ignore it, whatever so never unmemorize slow. In live, I have died on live because I unmemorized slow and was unable to land and stick a root long enough to heal or memorize slow or whatever. Always keep slow memorized.

2. Malise doesn't really become useful until after 29 imo, and it's there for mana efficiency to ensure you don't have to tank an unslowed mob in the face because it resisted slow.

3. Poison dot lasts a minute. Disease dot lasts ~2.5 poison poison dots. The disease dot is really efficient iirc, the poison dot less so. Evaluate whether or not it's worth it to use the disease dot, and whether or not you should debuff with insidious fever/malady/whatever.

4. Root Rotting > Root Shooting. Tanking IN TEH FACE > all if you have a good weapon and decent gear and the monsters aren't beast nasty. Plus points if you're in bear form.

5. Learn to time your cannibalize with med ticks, especially while root / rotting.

6. HP == Mana, so always get HP. Wisdom is only really helpful in oh-poo poo situations.

7. Buffs:

Dexterity buff is useless to anyone that doesn't have a proccing weapon, so ignore it unless someone does. Inner fire and your AC line are outclassed by every other buff in that slot in the game.

Early on, before Cann II, buffing can be tough, especially when you get haste. You should draw some lines as far as who gets what when if you're having trouble keeping up with mana. If the group is stable and wiping is a non-starter, only the puller needs SoW. If you're getting nothing but single pulls and aggro rarely leaves the tank, only the tank needs regeneration. Etc. For soloing, only worry about stamina, agility, AC, regen, SoW and whatever HP buff you have.

E: Man, I want to play a shaman now.

Thanks for all this info man! I'm only level 15 so I don' thave most of these spells, but this is all really good know. Since I've got a fungus tunic I think I'll focus on STR/AC/AGI buffs.

One other thing - should I use the temporary damage bonus Burst of Strength spell or just not bother until I get Frenzy, which I understand is a really situational thing anyway.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Thanks for all this info man! I'm only level 15 so I don' thave most of these spells, but this is all really good know. Since I've got a fungus tunic I think I'll focus on STR/AC/AGI buffs.

One other thing - should I use the temporary damage bonus Burst of Strength spell or just not bother until I get Frenzy, which I understand is a really situational thing anyway.

I never liked either of those, but other people might have different opinions, YMMV, etc. I decided to play my shaman, Oggwhomp, if you wanna drop me a tell in game.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! I think I'm gonna try to roll around with this set up and probably drop dexterity aura altogether since my censer can't proc and it seems like thats the only bonus it has.

Oh ya, I forgot to include Canni in that lineup, you always want that up, too. I'm thinking that I probably dropped Gate or something.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Insta cast clicky to reset global cooldown is a must for any caster. Will also refresh spell slot one entirely. Although not the spell cool down of whatever is in that slot.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Question on gnomes...

One of my favorite parts of classic were the gnome helmets that covered everything but their eyes. Like the guards in Steamfont. My gnome melees always had helmets that did this. Do the helmets not look that way on p99? I just got a Turtleshell helm as a twink item for a rogue, and thought it was one of the ones that looked that way, but it looks like a crappy chainmail cap.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

wazu posted:

Question on gnomes...

One of my favorite parts of classic were the gnome helmets that covered everything but their eyes. Like the guards in Steamfont. My gnome melees always had helmets that did this. Do the helmets not look that way on p99? I just got a Turtleshell helm as a twink item for a rogue, and thought it was one of the ones that looked that way, but it looks like a crappy chainmail cap.

Turtleshell Helm didn't have the plate graphic. The Small Scarab Helm does have the plate look and it's green. It's part of the Scarab Armor Quests you get in Kaladim; this is a great set of quests for new players.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

moolchaba posted:

Turtleshell Helm didn't have the plate graphic. The Small Scarab Helm does have the plate look and it's green. It's part of the Scarab Armor Quests you get in Kaladim; this is a great set of quests for new players.

The pristine scarab carapace for the breastplate can be bought from most vendors near scarab spawns for about 1pp. The helm parts are from super low level scarabs outside of Kaladim, not sure on the boots, I just found them on a vendor and grabbed them for 15pp.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kzersatz posted:

Dope, hopefully I can get tagged tonight.

Also
Buying Medium/low quality pelts and spiderling silk for these damned leather pads.

I'm going whole hog on smithing and trying to not go broke too quickly, I made it to 170 last night and man does it get pricey FAST.

Time to get an alt into high keep and farm those sweet sweet goblins.

I have a stack of spiderling silk and 2 medium wolf pelts. Im in the discord chat, but live in asia time.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Ah, that’s right. Thanks, fellas. Gonna have to downgrade stat wise to get that. Vanity kills.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Waiting for sunrise to make the run through kithicor to the ec tunnel. I would like an invite to unknown guild please and will gladly accept any druid handmedowns or spell money.

Also hello to any old goons who remember me I played this a couple years ago. I am on a baby druid named Mazek.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Hexel posted:

Waiting for sunrise to make the run through kithicor to the ec tunnel. I would like an invite to unknown guild please and will gladly accept any druid handmedowns or spell money.

Also hello to any old goons who remember me I played this a couple years ago. I am on a baby druid named Mazek.

Hug the north wall in Kithicor to get to WC and run along the wall of the zoneline. Cast harmony on yourself. You'll make it.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Hug the north wall in Kithicor to get to WC and run along the wall of the zoneline. Cast harmony on yourself. You'll make it.

You can't cast harmony on yourself to lower your aggro radius?!?!?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I made it. I been 3 boxing level 60's on p2002 for the last couple years so i forgot the stark abject terror of running through kithicor as a lowbie.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Are there any other servers like P1999 that have a reasonably sized playerbase but don't have a hyper-inflated mess of an economy? I tried playing Agnarr back when it launched but its economy broke in about a week due to Krono and is in the same state now.

I decided to get back in a few days ago on 1999 and do a gimmick run of only using items I could get for myself, and... this sucks. But not for the reason you'd think. I'm doing a dark elf Rogue in the general Freeport area, and high level players are making it hard for me to find anything to kill or to complete quests. Guards and quest NPCs are being farmed (for fine steel?) by high level characters seemingly everywhere I go and low level camps are being farmed (I assume for faction or tradeskill mats?) by midlevel characters. I know it's probably my fault for trying to level in the most populated/traveled through areas in the game, but where the hell else am I supposed to go as a dark elf?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Arven posted:

Are there any other servers like P1999 that have a reasonably sized playerbase but don't have a hyper-inflated mess of an economy? I tried playing Agnarr back when it launched but its economy broke in about a week due to Krono and is in the same state now.

I decided to get back in a few days ago on 1999 and do a gimmick run of only using items I could get for myself, and... this sucks. But not for the reason you'd think. I'm doing a dark elf Rogue in the general Freeport area, and high level players are making it hard for me to find anything to kill or to complete quests. Guards and quest NPCs are being farmed (for fine steel?) by high level characters seemingly everywhere I go and low level camps are being farmed (I assume for faction or tradeskill mats?) by midlevel characters. I know it's probably my fault for trying to level in the most populated/traveled through areas in the game, but where the hell else am I supposed to go as a dark elf?

Sounds like you should try red instead - no shortages of mobs at all.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Arven posted:

Are there any other servers like P1999 that have a reasonably sized playerbase

No.

At least, not ones that you've mentioned. P99, Phinny, Agnarr. Corniav is the new TLP that's just Phinny 2.0, but it'll still have Krono.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Frog Act posted:

So, mechanically, how do most Shamans juggle their spells?

If you aren't already doing it, bind your spell slots to hotkeys. This allows you to mem spells by clicking one in your book, then hitting a spell gem hotkey. Much quicker than moving the spell gem to your desired slot.

nyclin fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 18, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

faulteroy posted:

If you aren't already doing it, bind your spell slots to hotkeys. This allows you to mem spells by clicking one in your book, then hitting a spell gem hotkey. Much quicker than moving the spell gem to your desired slot.

Wait, how does this work? I spend a lot of time swapping buffs and stuff around manually.

Also, is there a way to turn on tab cycling through targets? Hitting F8/clicking frantically is less than efficient.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Frog Act posted:

Wait, how does this work? I spend a lot of time swapping buffs and stuff around manually.

Also, is there a way to turn on tab cycling through targets? Hitting F8/clicking frantically is less than efficient.

I bind nearest NPC and nearest PC to a and e. It's in the control panel for the keybinds somewhere. Though when cycling the targeting does make odd jumps; two mobs will be right in front of me and it'll jump to a mob waaaay at thd back, sometimes.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Frog Act posted:

Ya, there's a cycle through targets keybinding you can set in the options.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Operation Stein has been completed. Thanks to everyone who helped me out on getting the parts. Didn't think the pet would be so huge, its as big if not bigger than I am.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Orty posted:

Operation Stein has been completed. Thanks to everyone who helped me out on getting the parts. Didn't think the pet would be so huge, its as big if not bigger than I am.

They keep getting bigger!!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Goons, I need help with mage pet models. I’ve turned off all Luclin models in the game options but the mage pets are still the stupid Luclin models for some reason. Even checked the .ini and they show as False so it’s not that either. I know there’s the higher res versions of the old models but those aren’t what I want either. Any ideas?

Lamadar
Nov 24, 2007
I remember having fun playing this back around 2000 even though I had no idea what I was doing. So I just decided to start playing this and am now a level 18 cleric on Blue. Still no clue about what I am doing but having fun again, at least until I run into rear end in a top hat pubbies who love to train my pickup group. Figure it'd be best to join the goon guild so I can group in less populated zones. Character name Lamadar if I can get an officer to toss me an invite.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

Goons, I need help with mage pet models. I’ve turned off all Luclin models in the game options but the mage pets are still the stupid Luclin models for some reason. Even checked the .ini and they show as False so it’s not that either. I know there’s the higher res versions of the old models but those aren’t what I want either. Any ideas?

If you grab DruxaUI, it has options for that.

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice

Gildiss posted:

I have a stack of spiderling silk and 2 medium wolf pelts. Im in the discord chat, but live in asia time.

Asking price? :)

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
My buddies are playing Monk, Enchanter, Shaman, and Druid. What's the best thing I can add to this if I eventually want to be able to camp just about any non-raid content?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

I ride bikes all day posted:

My buddies are playing Monk, Enchanter, Shaman, and Druid. What's the best thing I can add to this if I eventually want to be able to camp just about any non-raid content?

You've got a core team right there that anybody else can sub comfortably into.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Might want a sturdier tank like a SK but yeah otherwise that's a really solid team.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

If you mean you want the group to be able to camp anything, then they're pretty much there assuming good monk pulls and a solid charming enchanter. Add DPS via melee (rog>monk>>>war>rng/sk>pal), pet (mag/nec), or charm (enc). Add security and rez potential for fuckups, disconnects, and general EQ kicking you in the rear end with a cleric. Add a little of everything with bard, but only if you really want to play bard - kind of redundant with enc/shm already in group to be honest.

If you mean that YOU want to be able to camp anything non-raid by yourself some day, then Enchanter and Shaman are the two best classes for this. Necro can manage in a lot of places too, especially if there's undead to charm and abuse. Monks and SKs can solo more effectively than most other melee classes and have the ohshit lever of FD for when you get in over your head, but they require better gear than a caster.

Dick Burglar posted:

Might want a sturdier tank like a SK but yeah otherwise that's a really solid team.
SKs are actually squishier tanks than monks on P99, especially at higher levels and when there's no CHing cleric involved, but SKs do have better snap aggro.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Shadowknight, Paladin, Mage, or maybe a necro would be the stand out options in my mind's eye. Comedy option is Cleric, which would give you rez and allow the Shaman and Druid to go full offense. Another hard melee like a Rogue or warrior would do gangbusters with every chanter and Shaman buff under the sun.

As far as the top three, SK/Pal gets you a sturdier tank. SK Brings in some self healing lifetaps to smooth out damage taken for SHM/DRU ghetto heals and at later levels he can tag team FD pull with the Monk to get poo poo done. Paladin brings stuns for big snap aggros and gets ghetto rez later to help soak some EXP loss. Mage can tank with an uberbuffed pet and can supply call of hero and summoned throwables and bandages to the monk. Same story with the Necro W/R/T pet tanking and soaking buffs, but instead of CoH and summonables he will instead have basically 100% uptime between Clarity, Regen, and Lich and will always be ready to fight at all times.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
More charms! And you can back each other up.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
SK/Pally or Rogue was pretty much what I was thinking. I have my bard up to 25 now, but I just don't see it bringing a lot of value to that class makeup. Stacking haste and battle songs are kinda wasted for 1 melee, and while clarity song is great, it just doesn't make up for the awful DPS.

What's a good/cheap Rogue weapon?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Honestly if you hit the early/midgame with whatever 4 classes you want, you've got a casual 60 warrior/SK, 46 Ranger at your disposal to tank in or out of group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

I have my bard up to 25 now, but I just don't see it bringing a lot of value to that class makeup.

What's a good/cheap Rogue weapon?

First point is what every bard says before that Mana Regen song kicks in. Between Mana song and Selo's, You're already extremely useful in groups.