Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
TNG episode, Culinary Culture

A new species is horrified to learn that, upon first transporting on to the Enterprise, their biological and chemical makeup was scanned and recorded for the express purpose of being used as a food source, should they prove tasty. Can Picard explain to them that any clones manufactured in the transporter for the use as a food will not have a soul, and are therefore ok to eat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sisko's dad's restaurant is still the most infuriating thing for explaining anything about the supposed post-scarcity Federation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WampaLord posted:

Sisko's dad's restaurant is still the most infuriating thing for explaining anything about the supposed post-scarcity Federation.

Some people work because they enjoy what they do, like cooking. Some people enjoy the atmosphere and experience of going to a nice restaurant.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's not like you ever see anyone pay a bill there.

The biggest question is how you get reservations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Some people work because they enjoy what they do, like cooking. Some people enjoy the atmosphere and experience of going to a nice restaurant.

Who's supplying the clams?

Who enjoys being a waiter or a busboy? For no pay?

How did he get that particular location?

It opens up such a can of worms.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WampaLord posted:

I think some of this is that there are multiple visions people have of what "post-scarcity" means; I've had vicious arguments on this topic.

One take is that there's just unlimited (or effectively unlimited) amounts of everything; basically real life is like a holodeck simulation if maybe with some lag and setup time for your personal pleasuredome. This is not really portrayed in any fiction but I think the intoxicating possibilities occur to many people, and it CAN happen in some kind of holodeck situation - as long as you have access to the holodeck.

Another is that (by whatever means) there is an abundance of the necessities of life sufficient to remove economic stress from the lives of the people in the post-scarcity society. This situation seems to map closer to what we see in Trek; massive things like personal starships are rare (but not unknown) but people do not seem materially poor unless there was a breakdown in the technology.

Owning and operating a restaurant makes sense to me because it would be a passion project in just about any case, just like real small restaurants in scenic locations often are.

WampaLord posted:

For the clams, he could replicate if he had to but there's also probably guys out there who are running hobbyist clammeries.

If the place isn't that big, he wouldn't necessarily need a staff. He might get a disciple or two, someone who's going to take the place over when he gets tired of it or dies.

Location is a good question but also probably not dramatically interesting.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 16, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WampaLord posted:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

Replicators? Or some sort of commune that gets extra reservations at the restaurant for them.

Someone who wants to learn the trade - kids whose parents want them to do some work - interns - a way to get your foot in the door to "inherit" the restaurant

Merit + Lottery or as above

It's certainly not clear and it's definitely an interesting question but it's not like it breaks the world or anything.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Bloop posted:

It's certainly not clear and it's definitely an interesting question but it's not like it breaks the world or anything.

It doesn't "break" the world but the more I think about it, the more questions I come up with.

As for the clams being replicated, then why is Sisko cleaning them? Surely they could replicate cleaned clams.

lmao

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WampaLord posted:

It doesn't "break" the world but the more I think about it, the more questions I come up with.

As for the clams being replicated, then why is Sisko cleaning them? Surely they could replicate cleaned clams.

To keep Ben out of trouble.

When Ben isn't around Old Man Sisko just replicates a bucket of gumbo from his own proprietary recipe catalog.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Clearly that was a load of "the real thing." But Old Man Sisko could whip up a kilogram of chopped clams if the clammery got assimilated by the Borg or something.

Alternately he replicated them in shell to make Ben clean them. Builds character.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

This was a dumb idea that Voyager had and is ethically hosed up.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nessus posted:

Clearly that was a load of "the real thing." But Old Man Sisko could whip up a kilogram of chopped clams if the clammery got assimilated by the Borg or something.

I'm still having a hard time thinking of someone running a clammery just for fun.

Again, it just raises more questions. So Sisko Sr. shows up and asks for a bucketful of clams. What if they're out? Do people get priority or is it just first come first serve? Is there a limit or could one rear end in a top hat just show up and claim all the clams?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Grandpa Sisko seems like exactly the sort of person to walk across town to get a bucket of replicated dirty clams and then make his adult son clean them

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WampaLord posted:

I'm still having a hard time thinking of someone running a clammery just for fun.

Again, it just raises more questions. So Sisko Sr. shows up and asks for a bucketful of clams. What if they're out? Do people get priority or is it just first come first serve? Is there a limit or could one rear end in a top hat just show up and claim all the clams?
My dude, do you know any backyard gardeners? Anyone with a fish tank? Now imagine that instead of having to work for a living they could spend their work hours on their hobby.

As for how they get it, they talk and perhaps they do a swap. The Federation seems to respect "personal" property in the sense of "this is my house, this is my violin," so presumably you could stun a clamjacker if he was being an rear end in a top hat. If there is no source of clam meat and Old Man Sisko doesn't want to replicate it, then he doesn't put clams on the menu that week.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Star Trek: In the federation, you can still stun a clamjacker

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The clams are replicated by a hobbyist clam dirtier, who does his thing before sending them off

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like how throughout startrek no one has bothered researching what mines actually look like. In the writers minds its people with shovels and picks and mine carts. Ah but it's the future so they're uh laser picks or something, but they totally look and work like some little gold-rush wild west era mine. Even on DS9 their ore refinery was 99% manual labour and little mine carts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

The clams are replicated by a hobbyist clam dirtier, who does his thing before sending them off
:laffo:

This almost got me into trouble at work

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I like how throughout startrek no one has bothered researching what mines actually look like. In the writers minds its people with shovels and picks and mine carts. Ah but it's the future so they're uh laser picks or something, but they totally look and work like some little gold-rush wild west era mine. Even on DS9 their ore refinery was 99% manual labour and little mine carts.
I figure some of this is stage craft because real mine shafts are like, dark and cramped and a pain in the rear end to film. Also the Cardassians probably ran the numbers and figured a Bajoran slave's life was worth less than installing an autohauler.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Peachfart posted:

This was a dumb idea that Voyager had and is ethically hosed up.

eh idk, it's the logical conclusion of the can of worms TNG opened in The Big Goodbye when Dix's cop friend and Cyrus Redblock started getting all existential after finding out about their true nature. The only difference we can see between Moriarty and the guy who asked Picard "when you turn me off, what happens to my family" is that Moriarty had the power to make Picard bargain with him and Moriarty quite correctly noted that without that power the Enterprise crew would murder him without a second thought, although the show kindasorta tries to imply something magical happened with Moriarty that didn't happen other times, the only evidence we have of that is Troi being able to sense his emotions and that's not too reliable because Data is sentient but she can't sense him.

After what we saw in The Big Goodbye, running simulations where you murder sentient beings that are simulated so perfectly they even react with existential angst to the thought of nonexistence is ethically indefensible already, Voyager just explored the logical consequences of that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Even on DS9 their ore refinery was 99% manual labour and little mine carts.

The Cardassians designed it that way just to be assholes.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Bloop posted:

It could even make some of that months old rotten fish hákarl poo poo if you want to piss off everyone on your deck.

Worf would like it probably.

A warrior's dish!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

WHY BONER NOW posted:

TNG episode, Culinary Culture

A new species is horrified to learn that, upon first transporting on to the Enterprise, their biological and chemical makeup was scanned and recorded for the express purpose of being used as a food source, should they prove tasty. Can Picard explain to them that any clones manufactured in the transporter for the use as a food will not have a soul, and are therefore ok to eat?

I don't think that cannibalism is taboo because of souls, but because eating similar/the same species as yourself opens you up to diseases, both prion and microbiological.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

After Captain Phillippa Georgiou joined the fleet, Starfleet quickly discovered all replicators had to be fitted with one of these signs

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Can someone explain the reference here? I refuse to watch Voyager unless it's the only thing on TV. The bits I've seen have been unmemorable and bad. I will probably give ENT a chance, after I get through all the movies and STD, if only because y'all say it gets good eventually.

e: the doctor seems like a cool character tho

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 16, 2018

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The more you think about sentient beings on the Holodeck(or photonic beings in general), the more hosed up it gets.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mycomancy posted:

I don't think that cannibalism is taboo because of souls, but because eating similar/the same species as yourself opens you up to diseases, both prion and microbiological.
The Aztecs had a large and sophisticated culture - in some ways superior to Europe - and still had occasional cannibalism for ritual purposes. This is kind of a just-so story.

Also I think this was the plot of a Niven story in the Draco Tavern series. The punchline was something like "Ten million aliens had me for dinner tonight. The UN made about fifty cents in royalties each."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Can someone explain the reference here? I refuse to watch Voyager unless it's the only thing on TV. The bits I've seen have been unmemorable and bad. I will probably give ENT a chance, after I get through all the movies and STD, if only because y'all say it gets good eventually.

When they made a new model of Emergency Medical Hologram, they took the old ones (like VOY's Doctor) and put them to work in a mine.

Photonic Slavery!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I imagine in the post-scarcity society of the Federation, there are some people who just seek a wide variety of experiences, so they just go around doing short stints at various low-skill jobs just for the hell of it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Bloop posted:

When they made a new model of Emergency Medical Hologram, they took the old ones (like VOY's Doctor) and put them to work in a mine.

Photonic Slavery!

Um what the gently caress

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Nessus posted:

The Aztecs had a large and sophisticated culture - in some ways superior to Europe - and still had occasional cannibalism for ritual purposes. This is kind of a just-so story.

Also I think this was the plot of a Niven story in the Draco Tavern series. The punchline was something like "Ten million aliens had me for dinner tonight. The UN made about fifty cents in royalties each."

Yep, that was the Glig. gently caress me the Draco Tavern stories are good.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Once the Federation released the Emergency Medical Hologram Mark II: Andy Dick Harder, the Mark 1 (the Robert Picardo version) was reprogrammed to mine dilithium because apparently a computer that can use tractor beams and forcefields to manipulate tools and equipment also needs to project an image of a human doing it and also has to like to sing, watch holo-movies, and chase skirts.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

Photonic Slavery!

that doesn't even make sense

why does the model being retired have anything to do with turning on the holo-miner program

why would you even want human-shaped, sentient miners

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Um what the gently caress

Y O Y A G E R

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

I imagine in the post-scarcity society of the Federation, there are some people who just seek a wide variety of experiences, so they just go around doing short stints at various low-skill jobs just for the hell of it.

As someone who's actually done a lot of short stints at various low-skill jobs, it is not fun or enlightening or whatever noble thought you think it is, it just sucks rear end. It would still suck rear end even if I knew I wasn't doing it for the money.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

VitalSigns posted:

After Captain Phillippa Georgiou joined the fleet, Starfleet quickly discovered all replicators had to be fitted with one of these signs

gently caress that, I don't want to live in that future.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This month, I'm going to work at Waste Extraction.

Next month, shoveling walks.

Someday my resume will allow me to get the job I really want. Assistant Shift Manager at the Replimat

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

that doesn't even make sense

why does the model being retired have anything to do with turning on the holo-miner program

why would you even want human-shaped, sentient miners

People really hated the EMH Mk1. So it was decided they should suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Peachfart posted:

People really hated the EMH Mk1. So it was decided they should suffer.

Yeah, they do poo poo like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!