Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

BrightWing posted:

Generally you'll move around with the boss and keep hitting positionals unless you need to stack with the group for whatever reason.

No, I mean what should the tank do in that case? I'm not sure if the melee dps will assume that I'm going to stay still or whether I should move to make sure the boss turns as little as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

vOv posted:

No, I mean what should the tank do in that case? I'm not sure if the melee dps will assume that I'm going to stay still or whether I should move to make sure the boss turns as little as possible.

Stay still unless your group is organized enough to optimize against your movement.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Can someone explain to me the purpose of a Provoke-Shirk? An OT kept doing it when I was MTing O7 the other day and all it seemed to do is make the boss spin.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rosalind posted:

Can someone explain to me the purpose of a Provoke-Shirk? An OT kept doing it when I was MTing O7 the other day and all it seemed to do is make the boss spin.

You have 100% threat as MT.
OT Provokes - He has 101% Threat.
OT Shirks - You have 125% of your starting threat. He has 75% of your original threat.

Ideally he does it during a cast bar or a magitek ray or some time when he won't rotate or mess up targeting.

If your group is coordinated you can:

You have 100%.
He provokes - He has 100%.
You shirk - He has 125%
You provoke - You have 125%
He shirks - You have 156%

It's a way to burst you emnity really fast without needing threat combos or defensive stance.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 16, 2018

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Stay still unless your group is organized enough to optimize against your movement.

This, I apologize, I did not fully understand your question. Tank stands still, melee deal.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Rosalind posted:

Offtank provokes the boss, to copy your aggro level. He then takes that newly-inflated amount of threat and gives you a huge chunk of it, so you don't have to worry about it as much.

Ideally they'd do it during cast bars when the boss won't spin around, but at least he cared.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rosalind posted:

Rainuwastaken posted:

Offtank provokes the boss, to copy your aggro level. He then takes that newly-inflated amount of threat and gives you a huge chunk of it, so you don't have to worry about it as much.

Ideally they'd do it during cast bars when the boss won't spin around, but at least he cared.

This. He was helping you just doing it at a poor time. For maximum circle shirking OT vokes, MT shirks then vokes, then OT shirks.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Thanks. It makes sense. I'm guessing it's something that's only really needed if the MT drops their tank stance? I mean I've been MTing as paladin for only a short time, but there's never been a time where I was worried about losing enmity when I was in Shield Oath (aside from like immediately after a tank swap or whatnot).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Every time i try something cute like that in random groups, to let the MT keep going in offensive stance or whatever, he immediately eats dirt and then my provoke is on cooldown and i can't pull the boss off the Medica 2 spamming WHM anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rosalind posted:

Thanks. It makes sense. I'm guessing it's something that's only really needed if the MT drops their tank stance? I mean I've been MTing as paladin for only a short time, but there's never been a time where I was worried about losing enmity when I was in Shield Oath (aside from like immediately after a tank swap or whatnot).

You shouldn't be in Shield Oath for very long against bosses or in trials. Ideally you should be in it as little as possible. You're leaving a huge amount of DPS on the table by doing so.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

On the flip side, don't bother dropping shield oath against trash packs because your healer will absolutely hate you.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Rosalind posted:

Probably a good sign you should swap to Sword Oath, then. I only drop back into shield if I'm getting my teeth kicked in, the healer is spread incredibly thin and could use the extra mitigation, or some dumb BLM won't use his aggro management skills. And I'm a pretty poo poo tank; most of'em won't ever touch tank stance.

I do like tank stance for trash packs though, because they actually really hurt and I figure cutting my damage by a little bit is worth the healer getting to drop a bucket of Holy on things without having a heart attack.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rosalind posted:

Yeah, the ideal tank pull will involve literally 1 GCD while in tank stance. Maybe a full combo if you're being careful. If you're staying in shield oath emnity will never be a concern.

Some will lambast you for staying in shield oath so that's definitely an avenue for personal optimization, but I'd rather see a respectful tank than an honest healer. My last o5s / o6s clears had a PLD in shield oath the whole time and the runs went well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It took me a long time to build up the confidence to drop Grit even for dungeon bosses.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

So I'm currently waffling between Ninja and Dragoon. I know Dragoon is a slow start but man, ninja just feels more fun. I assume that both are viable and I should just pick what is more enjoyable?

I'm indecisive.

Dragoon has the best glamour options of any melee dps job in the game. And they don't run like loving Naruto

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bolow posted:

And they don't run like loving Naruto

NIN run causes me physical pain, but I play a female midlander so like hell I'm ever moving anywhere without weapons drawn.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Yeah, the ideal tank pull will involve literally 1 GCD while in tank stance. Maybe a full combo if you're being careful. If you're staying in shield oath emnity will never be a concern.

Some will lambast you for staying in shield oath so that's definitely an avenue for personal optimization, but I'd rather see a respectful tank than an honest healer. My last o5s / o6s clears had a PLD in shield oath the whole time and the runs went well.

yea i find myself using shield oath as a cool down more these days for big hits and I don't have a real cool down available. Pop on shield oath and a shield block and im good to go.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Arist posted:

It took me a long time to build up the confidence to drop Grit even for dungeon bosses.
:same:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Arist posted:

It's me, I'm the Dark Knight that does two whole threat combos before dropping Grit, and there's still occasionally a MNK or BLM that nearly takes the boss away from me before it dies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rainuwastaken posted:

It's me, I'm the Dark Knight that does two whole threat combos before dropping Grit, and there's still occasionally a MNK or BLM that nearly takes the boss away from me before it dies.

Saaaaaaaaaaame

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Bolow posted:

Dragoon has the best glamour options of any melee dps job in the game. And they don't run like loving Naruto

I play an au ra girl so I really want to level up NIN just for maximum loving anime. I'll probably do it after I finish WHM and SMN/SCH... but BRD is also so tempting... ugh. I'm interested in basically everything except MNK.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

They shouldn't, the ffxiv threat meter is pretty garbage and when your threat hits a million+ someone with 800k threat to your 1 million threat is going to look super close when in actuality it isn't. Now a days I only start to worry when someone is within 50k threat of me or so.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Two questions. First off, what do Skill Speed and Spell Speed do for DRKs and RDMs, who use a combination of magical and physical abilities? Second, I’ve seen people hyping Strength materia for tanks. What makes that so great when compared to other materia options? What else is good, and why?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

They shouldn't, the ffxiv threat meter is pretty garbage and when your threat hits a million+ someone with 800k threat to your 1 million threat is going to look super close when in actuality it isn't. Now a days I only start to worry when someone is within 50k threat of me or so.

One of these days I'll get around to actually installing ACT but until then that one pixel on the aggro meter will continue to terrify me.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

So turns out if you're being a self reliant crafter you only really need the scrip armor for ltw/alc, lets you make the ala mhigan armor that is better than the base scrip armor.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Darth Walrus posted:

Two questions. First off, what do Skill Speed and Spell Speed do for DRKs and RDMs, who use a combination of magical and physical abilities? Second, I’ve seen people hyping Strength materia for tanks. What makes that so great when compared to other materia options? What else is good, and why?

All of DRK's abilities are weaponskills or abilities, not spells.

No idea about Skill Speed on RDM but, Spell Speed is the native stat you want least so no biggie.

STR is the second largest DPS contribution, right next to weapon damage. Direct Hit is probably the next biggest improvement on tanks, followed by Crit. Warriors want Crit significantly over DH, so if your gear is shared go that way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Abyssal_Drain

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

No idea about Skill Speed on RDM but, Spell Speed is the native stat you want least so no biggie.

STR is the second largest DPS contribution, right next to weapon damage. Direct Hit is probably the next biggest improvement on tanks, followed by Crit. Warriors want Crit significantly over DH, so if your gear is shared go that way.

Right, and it’s DPS you want to be speccing as a tank rather than survivability?

And why’s Spell Speed bad for RDMs?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Oh neat, it is a spell.

I'm going to go on a limb and say spell speed does nothing.

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, and it’s DPS you want to be speccing as a tank rather than survivability?

And why’s Spell Speed bad for RDMs?

In short, yes. Your gear has VIT maxed out, so you can't increase that. Tenacity has a mitigation bonus, but it's minor and the best mitigation is a dead enemy. Also the passive mitigation you gain is so weak and so unnecessary most of the time, because your active buffs do most of the work. Nothing else you can meld will increase survivability.

Spell Speed isn't bad per se, but you only ever cast one quick spell, followed by an instant cast spell. You're not gaining that cast time reduction on the spells that matter, aside from some level of GCD decrease. Crit, DH, and Det will affect all of your spells, and provide a bigger benefit.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 16, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also:
https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Unmend
https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Grit

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Tanks have enough survivability. I think technically Tenacity does both, but I have no idea to how much effect and definitely not a better call than Strength.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh hey, Unleash is also a spell!

(I'm done)

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Holyshoot posted:

As a BLM who doesn't know what Lucid Dreaming is and will only press diversion during the pull , its very possible to pull threat. Ask any of my static's tanks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I always assumed that Speed (of whatever variety) was always a good fallback investment. I mean, it lets you do more stuff (and react to new developments) in a shorter timeframe. That’s good news whatever your job.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it's bad for BRD too but I couldn't tell you why.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Do BLMs benefit from Spell Speed? Or does it only affect instant spells like the ones that make up most of Summoners’ arsenals?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You would end up clipping like a motherfucker if your skill speed is to high as a BRD, plus you kind of innately get some bit of a Skill Speed boost through Army's 16% haste with full stacks so it's unnecessary.

I think skill speed also increase how much your dots tick for as well? Also no necessary though since you just want them to crit, the damage is purely supplementary.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Darth Walrus posted:

I always assumed that Speed (of whatever variety) was always a good fallback investment. I mean, it lets you do more stuff (and react to new developments) in a shorter timeframe. That’s good news whatever your job.

Speed has a couple drawbacks. It's tiered, meaning that improvements might not actually have any effect until you hit the next tier. The other stats might be like that too, so this might not be comparison worthy.

The effects are less of an improvement than others (in optimal play.) You might get an extra cast every 50 GCDs, but that same budget of crit might offer more than 2% damage increase.

GCD clipping (in optimal play) matters. Some jobs need to weave multiple oGCDs in between attacks, and if your speed is too high, the oGCDs will delay your GCD again, negating some of the benefit. Try pushing a full 3-mudra in a sub 2.0 GCD for example.

This is all of course coming from a mathematically optimal perspective, with minimal latency concerns, and practical play has many exceptions. If you're too laggy to do 5 cleaves in an Inner Release, get more Skill Speed until you can. That will help more than getting Crit.

It's never really bad, but from a theory standpoint the other stats can be better.

Darth Walrus posted:

Do BLMs benefit from Spell Speed? Or does it only affect instant spells like the ones that make up most of Summoners’ arsenals?

Spell speed:
A: Reduces the cast time of long cast spells (like BLM).
B: Reduces the GCD of spells (like summoner instant casts)
C: Increases DoT damage (like summoner DoTs).

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Darth Walrus posted:

Hell yes they do. Unless I'm wrong it's right under INT in stat importance. Instant spells are instant and I'm confused how speed would help that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Darth Walrus posted:

Considering last I checked BLMs were still the #1 choice to give an Arrow to (besides GL3 Monks for comedy purposes), they absolutely do.