Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
On my first day of UO I opened a box and died, told my friend his game was poo poo and didn't play for 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
On my first week of UO, I didn't know about moongates so using the cloth map that came with the game I attempted to run from Yew to Britain

Somewhere along the way I ran into a PK and died and instantly ressed with the "take stat loss" option because you could do that back then and I didn't know any better, so of course I was killed many times and wound up with skills worse than a starting character and ended up remaking

Around that same time I started with something like 33 tailoring, 33 archery, and 33 bowcrafting (wanting to be a ranger) and I would spend incredibly long times killing deer and making studded cuirasses, and then trying to sell them to people at the tailor by telling them hey I can sell you a better outfit for cheaper than the leather you're buying from that NPC!

I actually made a couple sales!

Eventually my friend convinced me to try PKing so I got up my courage and my heavy xbow and my 40 archery, and I attacked someone named "Damian" who only slowly walked towards me and punched me, but ended up basically winning the fight and I had to run.

It wasn't until later that I figured out Damian was a wandering monk NPC (not healer because his paperdoll just said his name)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just remember the terrible lagg even on dsl.

Also I just wanted to chop some loving wood but some rear end in a top hat always came by and PKd me.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I couldn't afford to actually play on the paid UO servers so my experiences are pretty much solely with smaller servers.

I'll try 7 sometime though. I loved 3 on NES but I got the game when I was really young and my older cousin gave me all his NES stuff after buying a genesis, and it was too complicated of a game for me to figure out for a couple years later when i got a bit older.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea what I was doing as a dumb kid and wandered around until I stumbled upon someones collapsed home and stole their ship. So I spent a lot of time sailing that boat around until I was PK'ed and lost my boat and was very sad.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
This is now the good feels thread and I'll share some UO stories.

This one is pretty much the story of internet innocence lost and how I began the slide to becoming a video game rear end in a top hat.

One day I was outside of Trinsic working on taming and collecting feathers. I'm fairly new to the game, but not online shenanigans. I had done the whole Diablo thing. I'd seen some assholery before with Townkill and whatnot. I was attracted to UO because holy poo poo you mean I can bake bread and talk to other people in a virtual world who might want to buy my bread ? Sounds amazing. Like a giant BBS door game on crack cocane.

So like many, I too wanted to make a ranger type character. Good with bows and able to tame creatures to fight for me and defend the forest. Well the only way to get good at that is to practice. So out from the city I went into the wilds. After about 20 minutes, I passed a grey brick house just north in the woods and 3 dudes run out suddently to slay my poor other than a pile of feathers and a dagger having character. (This was before the New Player status and Fel/Tram shards so you were born into Britania naked and vulnerable from the get go)

I remember them saying stuff like "our woods human being" "thx for the feathers newb" and other sick burns as my ghost looked on while they chopped up my body and threw my newbie clothes on the ground to rot.

I had an idea. I was going to find out who these dudes were and get my revenge when I became strong one day.

This was a new character so I didn't have poo poo to lose by rezzing with stat loss. I did know this after restarting a few times as I decided what I wanted to be in this world. Also at that time, there was no house lists where you could ban people from going past your front steps, and ghosts could walk around unseen while keeping the rez box up. So I followed them inside the house to find out who these dudes were.

They went about their buisness. One dude was practicing magic resist with a boxed up Lich in the back room. I watched as they would gate out and come back and throw stuff in chests that were stacked 4 or 5 high along the back wall of the big front room.. (You could see stuff going in and coming out of containers sometimes back then) I noticed it was a poo poo load of spell reagents at one time. Another dude was smelting in the 3rd small back room. That's when it hit me. These dudes were depositing look gathered from their PK characters and I was basically standing inside Fort Knox right now, undetected as a ghost and nobody knew.

I then had a better plan. I picked up the phone (which was on a 2nd phone line because "I'M ON THE INTERNET MOM, DON'T PICK UP THE PHONE") and called my bud who had been playing for a bit and had his own posse that also played. I filled him in on the situation and he asked if I wanted him to come kill them off for the fun of it.

I didn't just want their blood. I wanted more. I wanted to break them. I wanted to leave them as they left me, with nothing, feeling powerless as the day they started playing. He asked if I was still inside watching them with the res box up. I was. He squealed with excitement and told me to hold on. He got in touch with several guild friends and we moved over to chat on ICQ.

poo poo got real here.

A plan was formed. I was going to stand by the door in ghost mode while my friend and his posse moved into position out front. I would then res and open the door allowing my friends to run in and slay everyone inside. We would then rob them blind. Every chest, every stick of furniture. What we could not take, we would destroy. Scorched earth.

My friend decided to do a drive by to make sure he could find the right house. It was hard to describe being a new player. A few bumbled directions and anxious moments later I heard the sound of his horse approaching off screen and saw his name appear in the bottom right of my 15 inch CRT soon after.

The time to strike drew near. My friend rode past as three guys tore rear end out of the house to chase him down. He was quiet for a few minutes in ICQ. I wondered if they had killed him.

"Marked a rune. Get ready fast. We're going now." finally came his message.

I moved to the door. I had a singular purpose, but god drat it if I wasn't going to gently caress this up. The three guys who bolted out the house were riding back now. They rode up to the house and stood outside.

The words "Now, open it." will forever be seared into my brain. I clicked rez and my grey screen filled with color. I grabbed the doorknob and opened that door that would change my MMO life forever. It opened a new world to me. I stood there, defiant in the face of my attackers. Standing on their sacred ground. Two of them turned and rode up to me immediatly.

"Corp Por" one of them said But it was too late.

A gang of blue hit the screen, roling at least 10 deep. They hit those steps fast and hard and poured inside. The three outside were no match for the onslaught that flooded over them and were dead within seconds to a barrage of energy bolts and flamestrikes. Inside the guys in the back room ran forward to see what was going down. They ate poo poo soon after, cut down by a buzzsaw of halbreds.

"lol, got their keys"

We took it all. It was like a well oiled machine. The loot was carried out in a conga line. The chests were so full they couldn't be carried. You could only walk one or two steps and be out of stamina. When someone move it two steps, someone else would pick it up and walk through a gate. The gates were guarded as those guys tried having their friends come help. They threw themselves at my friend and his guild, running in single file, sometimes naked except a hastily grabbed reg bag I guess they kept in their personal banks. They even took the lich from the back room, coaxing it to travel through a gate and then back to their guild house.

We didn't say a word to them. I don't think poo poo talking was necessary. It was some pretty underhanded poo poo that went down to be honest. I basically hosed them using an exploit. But I felt great. Vindicated. I'd walk back that way weeks later and the hosue was still abandoned. Eventually it rotted away. Since we had their house keys, it would never be safe until many patches later.

As time went on, I fell further and further into assholery. I would break into friends houses and deadly poison their house chests for the gently caress of it. I'd trap red boxes and leave them laying around Brit bank with another character and laugh while on my tinker on a second account would get murder count after murder count and he would never leave the upstairs forge room of a two story house halfway across the world. I'd take a stack of trapped chests into Destard I think it was where people killed dragons and ancient wyrms and take the real chests off their corpses and replace them with trapped ones and watch them die while I scooped up all their riches. I wasn't famous or infamous, I was just a prick.

But I enjoyed myself in Ultima Online.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Node posted:

Play 7, it is legit good. Use Exult, a modern port for U7, to play it.

7 had it's good and bad points. The graphics were amazing for it's time, the plot was interesting, and it may have been the first game ever to have DLC, except you couldn't actually download it because it was 1992 so you had to walk into a software store and buy the box. On the other hand gameplay was 100% FedEx quests, the inventory system was horrible, and it had some bugs. Exult fixes the bugs and makes inventory better, so give it a try.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

On my very first day of UO, I inspected someone's paper doll named Michael Jackson. He had a Dishonorable reputation, so I thought that Origin was making a little joke by including The Dishonorable Michael Jackson, not knowing that was another player.

This reminds me of a story of how Garriott started talking with a character, and somehow didn't realize it was an NPC from the way it responded to his questions.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
They're verifying mailing addresses again! They're going to need to run a huge telethon to pay for shipping expenses :o

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm the guy that bought all available samples of Lord British's blood

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Mix it with all his poo poo, and you get a homunculus!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

What about Darkstarrs hair though? I would say that is worth more cuz it’s super rare!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HungryMedusa posted:

What about Darkstarrs hair though? I would say that is worth more cuz it’s super rare!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUSLmc4o0tU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bieeanshee posted:

Mix it with all his poo poo, and you get a homunculus!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Holy poo poo lol

E: This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf1nyanKWps

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 12, 2018

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Zerilan posted:

I couldn't afford to actually play on the paid UO servers so my experiences are pretty much solely with smaller servers.

I'll try 7 sometime though. I loved 3 on NES but I got the game when I was really young and my older cousin gave me all his NES stuff after buying a genesis, and it was too complicated of a game for me to figure out for a couple years later when i got a bit older.

I've never played even one of the Ultima games, never even knew of their existence until much later.

I did play Tabula Rasa and that's why I didn't even consider dumping any money on this stupid pile of crap.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Kak posted:

CU is the only other game I backed besides this smoldering pile of poo poo. Their team seems to be making progress slowly but surely considering they're making an engine and assets from the ground up and one of their main programmers left because of creative differences. I hope it does well. It looks like it will be perfect for people that can't log 8 hours a day and just want a quick battle and be able to log off.

Same here, only two kickstarters I've ever given a dollar to

Camelot Unchained announced today that Beta 1 will begin July 4th this year, and that part of the rewards being given to donors for all the delays will be things like: Beta 2/3 people will be let in right away or maybe a week later

Beyond that it's just guesses, sounds like prices will change and some gifts will be added as bonuses, then maybe a month after beta the good deals will go away and refunds might be turned off. So this game will have gone like 5 years of development with refunds left open the entire time, and with Mark Jacobs putting in more of his own cash than we did. Pretty cool even if slow. Seems like it'll accommodate casuals more than other greasier MMOs.

As far as a thread goes I'm still playing LoTRO and doing that thread, so one of you bums should put one up in maybe early June, thanks!!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Alexander DeLarge posted:

If you're a backer receiving physical goods, make sure you give them your address on the account page.

Don't want to miss out on your signed Richard Garriott deeds.
this was from September 3rd, 2016

physical items still haven't shipped

looking through some of the old posts DancingShade and Alexander DeLarge made makes me crack the hell up

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

TheAgent posted:

this was from September 3rd, 2016

physical items still haven't shipped

looking through some of the old posts DancingShade and Alexander DeLarge made makes me crack the hell up

are you trying to say that a guy worth 50 milion dollars could safely afford to mail people mousepads and posters within 5 years of taking their money on kickstarter? let's keep things fair and realistic. what next, the 'massively' in MMORPG should mean more than 218 people??

the 52nd build of the game shouldn't crash to desktop everytime???

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
poor Node

one day you'll find your mmo Shangri-La

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

TheAgent posted:

poor Node

one day you'll find your mmo Shangri-La

Thank you for your kind words.

:qq:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Who is Lum and why is everyone trying to defend him? All I understood is he's somehow involved in producing this piece of poo poo.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Shy posted:

Who is Lum and why is everyone trying to defend him? All I understood is he's somehow involved in producing this piece of poo poo.

he had a good web site that everyone into MMOs in the late 90s read

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
he became the thing he most hated

makes me lol all the time

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Shy posted:

Proto-blogger from the late 90's who tore apart the first MMOs for doing stupid poo poo.

He's an example of living long enough to become the villain.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just want to know if SOTA will have fetapults or not

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

also is a goon and was posting itt during the initial phase when there was hope. :v:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

also is a goon and was posting itt during the initial phase when there was hope. :v:

What was the moment the game officially ran out of hope? Was it a sudden event, or was it a slow slide into despair?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Proto-blogger from the late 90's who tore apart the first MMOs for doing stupid poo poo.

He's an example of living long enough to become the villain.

I dont think Lum has actually become the villain. Its more like hes become one of the villains expendable lackeys.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i actually learned about these forums from the Lum the Mad forums lol

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

If I had to guess, I would say Lum is none too happy with how this poo poo show went down. I never liked him back in the day, but I think he really did believe in the vision. Eventually the reality of the lack of direction + Garriott's not giving a fuckness piled on and suddenly Shroud is worse than U9. It has to be really hard to hear constant criticism about something you joined in good faith.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I kind of suspect Lum's not finding a lot of work as a B tier MMO database guy these days and took the job because work is work. God knows hes been through more than a few layoffs over the years. Which makes me feel bad that hes getting ragged on so hard for getting stuck on this dead end of a project. Its still kind of entertaining considering who he used to be.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

CoffeeBooze posted:

I kind of suspect Lum's not finding a lot of work as a B tier MMO database guy these days and took the job because work is work.

Oh, come on. Have you SEEN how most MMO databases are laid out? I'm B+ tier, easy.

At the risk of being baited into touching the poop once again (by pretty much the same folks as last time) I'm fine, the game's fine, even if it turns out not to be, I'll still be fine, amazingly it's not my name on the cover so blaming me for everything you're ranting about (justifiably or not) is silly, and I fully understand the irony. Hell, I work with the people daily whose lives I made miserable 20 years ago. Irony is my morning coffee.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Lum_ posted:

Oh, come on. Have you SEEN how most MMO databases are laid out? I'm B+ tier, easy.

At the risk of being baited into touching the poop once again (by pretty much the same folks as last time) I'm fine, the game's fine, even if it turns out not to be, I'll still be fine, amazingly it's not my name on the cover so blaming me for everything you're ranting about (justifiably or not) is silly, and I fully understand the irony. Hell, I work with the people daily whose lives I made miserable 20 years ago. Irony is my morning coffee.

This right here is why Lum is still cool.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's good to know he's been reading my posts about how atos is the real problem (okay garriot is obviously the real problem but still)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lonjon posted:

This, right here, yeah.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
just don't go working for chris roberts, you've been punished enough for one lifetime

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also you guys are really defensive about the game, what's with that

take the haters in stride man. the game should be good enough to defend itself

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Lonjon posted:

No he's not, it's a standard corporate tactic, just repeat the lie enough times for it to become the truth.

MMO has failed, game has failed, another classic developer should probably go and do something else.

Nothing to see here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

fyi lum irony is not like "goldy" or "bronzey" but made of iron