Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly with the music turned to the original I'm kind of still enjoying it, it seems way easier though but I dunno if that's just because I'm not 14 any more.

It's absolutely easier in certain respects and harder in a couple others.

Mostly it's just your party members actually wait until you make the first strike to attack so you can really stun lock the poo poo out of enemies.

But then like that one reviewer said letting Chobin Hoods aim in all directions is a loving nightmare. In one attempt on that forest I was dead and being booted to the title screen in the span of a blink of my eyes (I literally did not see myself die). Granted I went in there early without having bought any armor yet.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wait, what?? Can you aim in all directions?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah Chobin Hood forest was pretty awful but my only character death so far was to a polterchair deciding my Sprite wasn't long for this world when he still hadn't caught up in levels. Spikey Tiger was a pushover though which saddened me because I remember him being the roughest boss in the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

OneDeadman posted:

I'm glad the Evergrace composer returned for Secret of Mana's ost

Oddly enough that's the same guy who does the kickass music for the Armored Core games. He just sucks balls at anything but techno.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah Chobin Hood forest was pretty awful but my only character death so far was to a polterchair deciding my Sprite wasn't long for this world when he still hadn't caught up in levels. Spikey Tiger was a pushover though which saddened me because I remember him being the roughest boss in the game.

Spikey Tiger was what broke the game for me when it first came out because I refused to grind just a little. But he is an rear end in a top hat who never misses his bounce, which will likely hit everyone and stun them as well, you really only have candy to heal and don't have a heal-all yet. It seems in the remake you can dodge his attacks but they balanced this by not being able to attack him when he's throwing fireballs from the towers.

I'm the weirdo who likes the Dreamcast graphics but the bosses exploding looks hilariously bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can still attack him on the towers, just gotta use the bow.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You can attack him from the towers, equip the bow and boomerang.

edit: beaten faster than Spikey Tiger

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

Shadow Hearts is incredible and it definitely has horror elements, really monstrous designs, lots of cthulhu nods, some real dark moments, but keep in mind that it pairs its horror with pretty broad comedy. Yuri's a real goof of a protagonist, even if he's also a pretty sympathetic character. SH1 only really goes to the comedy well a few times, and mostly in side characters, but Shadow Hearts 2 is pretty goofy even if it's also a really well written game with some legitimately great character building.

also theres some gay jokes but Persona 5, so. and SH2 just has a legitimately gay party member (as in just says "i'm gay" when a woman starts hitting on him) whos a really goofy superhero pastiche but is also the most legitimately heroic of the main characters and probably the third or fourth most well-developed of the party members.
I'd also recommend watching an LP of Koudelka if you don't want to track it down and play it, its a very unique, well written and voice-acted game even to this day.

Shadow Hearts is my favorite JRPG series by far.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 16, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

also theres some gay jokes but Persona 5, so. and SH2 just has a legitimately gay party member (as in just says "i'm gay" when a woman starts hitting on him) whos a really goofy superhero pastiche but is also the most legitimately heroic of the main characters and probably the third or fourth most well-developed of the party members.

I think the big difference is that the gay jokes in Shadow Hearts don't really feel very mean-spirited. Yes, two prominent gay NPCs are flaming stereotypes but the game's pretty camp with them instead of, you know, implying they might rape someone and no one judges them for how they are outside of a little bit of awkward flirting.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the weapons upgrade guy in shadow hearts 1 is the weirdest one

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

the weapons upgrade guy in shadow hearts 1 is the weirdest one
Yeah, he is nothing but a "Gays are creepy rapists, lol" punch line. It mostly gets better with Covenant.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Sakurazuka posted:

Holy poo poo how did I not notice how much the magic system sucks rear end though.

Yeah its awful. I don't know why square made a real time battle system and then stuck a final fantasy style magic system on top of it :psyduck:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

Shadow Hearts is incredible and it definitely has horror elements, really monstrous designs, lots of cthulhu nods, some real dark moments, but keep in mind that it pairs its horror with pretty broad comedy. Yuri's a real goof of a protagonist, even if he's also a pretty sympathetic character. SH1 only really goes to the comedy well a few times, and mostly in side characters, but Shadow Hearts 2 is pretty goofy even if it's also a really well written game with some legitimately great character building.

King of Solomon posted:

Shadow Hearts is incredible, it's one of my favorite RPGs to this day.

Cool cool. Really excited to start it once I finish Persona 5 which I am at the latter stages of.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Wait wait wait how the gently caress did I not know CS2 was out on PC

this thread has failed me

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

babypolis posted:

Wait wait wait how the gently caress did I not know CS2 was out on PC

this thread has failed me

ive been playing it. its real good. rean good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We all post about it in the secret RPG thread.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Don't play the remake of Secret of Mana ty and god bless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, he is nothing but a "Gays are creepy rapists, lol" punch line. It mostly gets better with Covenant.
to be fair, that guy has a name, and keith is into it, and he has a minor role in the plot outside of that gag, so id say hes better than those guys in persona 5

Mokinokaro posted:

I think the big difference is that the gay jokes in Shadow Hearts don't really feel very mean-spirited. Yes, two prominent gay NPCs are flaming stereotypes but the game's pretty camp with them instead of, you know, implying they might rape someone and no one judges them for how they are outside of a little bit of awkward flirting.
i think the weirdest covenant gets is the gags about joachim's indian wrestling teacher cornholing him but to be fair joachim is down for some local cuisine if you catch my drift

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best party member in covenant is the dog btw

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

the best party member in covenant is the dog btw
That's not Princess Anastasia "Telling a cosmic horror its plan of destroying the world is stupid" Romanov.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

some guy on the bus posted:

Hey, you guys want to hear some great new Secret of Mana tunes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7NSjX2UlI

This one has actually kind of grown on me, but yeah, most of it is all over the place; in quality AND composition. Being able to switch to the original music is great, but things like missing cannon animations and kind of janky gameplay compared to the original is turning me off on it. I was really looking forward to it too.

Oh, see this one is good(ish): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dykAi_Z4hE4

The sound levels are hosed between the instruments but that might just be youtube.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Missing Cannon Animations, Bad AI (less options than the SNES version wtf?), crashes, animation lockup where you start sliding and can't do anything until screen transitions.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Plek posted:

This one has actually kind of grown on me, but yeah, most of it is all over the place; in quality AND composition. Being able to switch to the original music is great, but things like missing cannon animations and kind of janky gameplay compared to the original is turning me off on it. I was really looking forward to it too.

Oh, see this one is good(ish): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dykAi_Z4hE4

The sound levels are hosed between the instruments but that might just be youtube.

Yeah, and the gameplay is the most strange part of this train wreck. If you look at the flow of the original and then at the remake, the latter one looks like every character is stumbling around drunk. I don't know if it's the new graphics making everything look worse, or if they somehow hosed up real bad with AI-programming. :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno if you've played the original recently but it's literally impossible to get any worse than the AI in that

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why are they so bad at making remakes

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Adventures of Mana was a good remake. They even improved the music a lot. I don't know what happened here.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I dunno if you've played the original recently but it's literally impossible to get any worse than the AI in that

That's a matter of some debate. :shrug:

I happen to believe the remake is poo poo, and I've been playing the original on and off again for literally decades now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry I was gonna reply but I got stuck behind a small flower

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Sorry I was gonna reply but I got stuck behind a small flower

Well, stop playing the remake then :v:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I have no idea what people are talking about. You have less options but they all work as opposed to none of the, what, 16 original options working. You also aren't a slave to them getting stuck, since the screen isn't locked to where they are.

The AI is so good that if you tell them to attack targets other than yours they'll attack in spots where enemies are going to spawn but haven't yet.

They also wait until you start attacking so that you can basically stunlock anything as long as its alone.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 17, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
this brings me strong optimistic feelings about the ffvii remake

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

this brings me strong optimistic feelings about the ffvii remake

hrm yes these two things are definitely comparable productions

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ff7 remake: 10 billion dollars
secret of mana remake: half a pack of rolos
ff7: was actually a good game
secret of mana: well,

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
just because you pump a lot of money into something, doesnt make it good

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

ff7 remake: 10 billion dollars
secret of mana remake: half a pack of rolos
ff7: was actually a good game
secret of mana: well, it's simply the best

True

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
it's always fun to see how people are with regards to the gap between the game they remember and the game they actually played

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They cut the cannon animation in the remake so loving gently caress new secret of mana

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So the Secret of Mana remake is basically poorly optimized or are people mostly upset at the loss of the sprite art and SNES sound chip? Either could still be a dealbreaker for me too, but I didn't really play the original and so I wonder if I'd be as put off by the changes as others who have that nostalgia.

Will the FF7 remake even actually happen?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It looks worse, it sounds worse, it plays worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

some guy on the bus posted:

Hey, you guys want to hear some great new Secret of Mana tunes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7NSjX2UlI

Amazing. It sounds like they reproduced the original theme in five distinct musical styles including dubstep and then couldn't decide on one, so they mashed them all together.

e: I really didn't like the visuals on early screenshots but actually I'm enjoying it a lot. Playing with old music and without minimap, of course. No bugs or crashes yet (just defeated the first Killroy).

What I like about the visuals are the character and monster designs, mostly, although some boss designs seem super lazy. Also the different weapon designs are cool.

The menu system is annoying in the remake, but magic hotkeys are a very nice addition. Combat feels even easier now because of the removed iframes, companion AI is quite competent at keeping everything stunlocked. Bosses are also way easier so far.

sicDaniel fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 17, 2018