Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

WampaLord posted:

Who's supplying the clams?

Who enjoys being a waiter or a busboy? For no pay?

How did he get that particular location?

It opens up such a can of worms.

The clams supply themselves.

The location acquires you.

The ship cleans itself.

Can of worms open themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

VitalSigns posted:

eh idk, it's the logical conclusion of the can of worms TNG opened in The Big Goodbye when Dix's cop friend and Cyrus Redblock started getting all existential after finding out about their true nature. The only difference we can see between Moriarty and the guy who asked Picard "when you turn me off, what happens to my family" is that Moriarty had the power to make Picard bargain with him and Moriarty quite correctly noted that without that power the Enterprise crew would murder him without a second thought, although the show kindasorta tries to imply something magical happened with Moriarty that didn't happen other times, the only evidence we have of that is Troi being able to sense his emotions and that's not too reliable because Data is sentient but she can't sense him.

After what we saw in The Big Goodbye, running simulations where you murder sentient beings that are simulated so perfectly they even react with existential angst to the thought of nonexistence is ethically indefensible already, Voyager just explored the logical consequences of that.

I think that was Holo-Deanna at that point in the episode.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Zesty posted:

The ship cleans itself.

Yeah what did Riker mean when he said the ship will clean itself?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah what did Riker mean when he said the ship will clean itself?

"We've never needed a crew before"

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
There’s a rigid schedule of toxic green beams to clean the ship. Just check your email so you know when not to be home.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'll never get over how the Enterprise computer can simulate a mind that can hack the Enterprise computer easily.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Yeah, you think you're getting steamed clams and then it's just some doofus serving you Krusty Burger stuff on a fancier plate

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nessus posted:

Yeah seriously. I can buy that it would make sense to project some kind of humanoid form in order to better support organic miners in an intuitive way, use human-shaped mining tools and so on, but why does it need to be a suffering incarnation of Robert Picardo instead of some dude in a faceplate helmet?

Well, and there's the broader :smuggo: context of "mines don't work that way".

Actual modern mining looks like this:

The miners aren't chipping bits out of the walls and dropping those bits in mine carts... they're operating various types of tunnel-boring machines and rock-crushing machinery. On top of that, the Federation wouldn't even need half of that stuff because of force fields and tractor beams. Even without full automation, mine operators would just be a couple of guys in a comfy booth with remote control drill/tractor-beam drones: drill out a section, use the tractor beam to separate out the materials, use the tractor beam to move the desired materials into a storage container.

In conclusion, the only sane way to treat that whole thing is just to pretend that it doesn't exist, like a lot of Voyager.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What episode is EMH slavery from?

I‘m gonna watch it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I’m pretty sure Sisko’s dad had him cleaning potatoes, not clams.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

marktheando posted:

I’m pretty sure Sisko’s dad had him cleaning potatoes, not clams.

Best picture I could find:

and according to Memory Alpha, it's clams:

quote:

On Earth, Sisko scrubs clams at his father's restaurant, deep in thought about what has happened and the uncertain future that lies ahead.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cingulate posted:

I'll never get over how the Enterprise computer can simulate a mind that can hack the Enterprise computer easily.

He didn't hack the computer, he social-engineered Picard's password

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 17, 2018

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The real “problem” (if not being totally explained really is a problem for a fictional TV show) with the Federation’s economy is that for technological/budgetary reasons we don’t see the army of robots that do the poo poo jobs. So Sisko’s dad wants to share his cooking with the world and open a restaurant - most likely the waiters would be robots and maybe even the sous chefs as well. Ingredients would either be replicated, or (because it’s established that replicated food isn’t quite as good as the real thing) automated farms or fisheries or whatever would be set up to provide the produce. So no one has to set up hobbyist clammeries. But if hobbyists do want to set up a farm or whatever (like the Picard vineyard) they can do, and probably their wares have more hipster cachet.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tom Guycot posted:

That might work to try and ignore Moriarty, but the EMH shows that the hologram creations are just as capable of living and growing, and, heck even better than data. The doctor has like a full life and emotions that makes Data look like a model T.

You do remember that Data was deliberately stunted with regard to his emotions, right? That wasn't a bug, that was a feature.

Soong made two working emotional androids, one of which wasn't even evil!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

VitalSigns posted:

He didn't hack the computer, he social-engineered Picard's password

He might be referring to the first Moriarty episode where he somehow built a lever on the holodeck that controls the ship.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
At Kansas City Comic Con. Sonequa Martin-Green is here. I should get a picture. I can see her from the Jerome Flynn line.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cingulate posted:

Starfleet isn't exactly known for high-tech security.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

My local paper had an article about how this farmer who grows organic produce and livestock offers unpaid internships for people interested in learning the techniques. People sign up to work actual jobs for free, just for the experience of doing it. My own cousin has done this, but on a goat farm.

There are people who bus tables for free at soup kitchens for no benefit other than relieving their moral anxiety.

I absolutely believe some people in a post scarcity world would bus tables if you described the job not as menial labor, but as being a part of preserving the classic Earth heritage of Creol cuisine.

And who's to say the career path starts and ends at bussing tables. They might not be "employees" but more like apprentices. When they first come in they have to do some menial job to prove they're serious, then after 3 months or whatever they get to start kitchen work. As more senior students leave the lower ones move up: Busser to Dish Washing and Clam Scrubbing to Line Cook to Sous Chef until you master the craft and leave to do something else or start your own restaurant.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Additionally, this could lead to an answer about how they divvy up real estate and such. If your dream is to start a restaurant then the committee that determines such things is going to want to see plenty of experience on your resume before they just hand over a part of one of the only limited resources left on Earth. I mean, we pretty clearly see that Federation citizens still have careers - they're just not tied to standard of living.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Isn't the population of Earth pretty dramatically reduced compared to Earth today. Between WWIII having killed a lot of people, the colonization of space and universal birth control, I'd imagine there's a bunch of room on Earth. Plus, I've got to think transporter technology makes location on the planet less important. Want to live in Central Asia and have lunch in Denver? Just get in a transporter booth....

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I think that when you don't HAVE to do something just to survive, and you're not required to do it for so many hours a week, a lot of things that nobody wants to do now can become recreational, just like how running became a form of recreation once people didn't have to walk everywhere*. If I didn't HAVE to work, and I didn't have any particularly strong interest or skill but I wanted to feel like I was somehow useful, bussing tables or cooking in a kitchen sounds like a decent way to pass some time outside of my Vulcan Love Slave 3 holosuite program. A lot more low key than joining Star Fleet and getting stuck in a 5th dimensional space wedgie or getting shot at by Klingons or walking in on Lt. LaForge sweet talking the ship's computer.

*source: back to the future 3

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Epicurius posted:

Isn't the population of Earth pretty dramatically reduced compared to Earth today. Between WWIII having killed a lot of people, the colonization of space and universal birth control, I'd imagine there's a bunch of room on Earth. Plus, I've got to think transporter technology makes location on the planet less important. Want to live in Central Asia and have lunch in Denver? Just get in a transporter booth....

Yeah per First Contact it's lower than today.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah per First Contact it's lower than today.

This makes sense. As life expectancy and QOL has become higher in the modern age, the birthrate has plummeted. And if you want to pump out 20 kids and work on a farm, there are a ton of planets to colonize.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's some terminal in a mass effect sequel where you learn that the other governments consider the overpopulation of earth to be a national security problem.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Peachfart posted:

This makes sense. As life expectancy and QOL has become higher in the modern age, the birthrate has plummeted.
AFAIK, this is inherently tied to the marginal costs of mothers/parents working. In our times, people still want kids, they just can't have them cause everyone needs to work to earn enough to raise kids, which in turn means they can't afford taking off the time required to have kids until they're too old to have kids. None of these apply in Star Trek.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

He might be referring to the first Moriarty episode where he somehow built a lever on the holodeck that controls the ship.

That could just have been a security flaw in the ship's computer. Maybe the program executed under Geordi's user permissions, so it was able to unexpectedly make calls to the engine controls.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Epicurius posted:

While true, it wasn't that long ago that the world still had a bunch of people and crowded areas in it, while having like 1 or 2 billion people. Even if Earth is that way, there's only one New York and one New Orleans outside of the holodeck.

It also seemed to be suggested that there is at least some limit on transporter usage, although that might have been a cadet discipline thing at Star Trek. It makes sense that they'd have some kind of budget for something like that, even if it's one of those things where most people, even if they "commute" regularly, never encounter it.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
Sometimes when you live in heaven, you need to create your own hell:
http://www.brightempire.com/JoeHaley/IntheImagicon.html

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just watched Tuvix for the first time and Janeway got away with a straight-up execution and only a half-assed regret. :captainpop:

How do you write that loving episode and not even end it with a 30 second scene dealing with the aftermath? Janeway executes a healthy crew member in the sickbay while the CMO stands by in protest and the only resolution the audience gets is a tiny frown as the credits roll.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just watched Tuvix for the first time and Janeway got away with a straight-up execution and only a half-assed regret. :captainpop:

How do you write that loving episode and not even end it with a 30 second scene dealing with the aftermath? Janeway executes a healthy crew member in the sickbay while the CMO stands by in protest and the only resolution the audience gets is a tiny frown as the credits roll.

She had no choice. It was the Prime Directive. If I remember the Prime Directive right, it's "A Starfleet Captain will do his or her best to ensure that the situation will return to the status quo for the main characters by the end of the episode. If a captain cannot do so, he or she will ensure that the situation will return to the status quo for the main characters by the end of the story arc. The Captain is relieved of his or her responsibility to do so with a main crewmember if the actor playing that crewmember dies or is released from his or her contract during the show's run, but the captain shall, so much as he or she can, then replace that crewmember with another who fills the narrative role of the original crewmember."

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I went back to watch the scene, so convinced I was right, and it was indeed clams and not potatoes he was washing. Don’t know where I got that idea from.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

marktheando posted:

I went back to watch the scene, so convinced I was right, and it was indeed clams and not potatoes he was washing. Don’t know where I got that idea from.

We've gone to the clam cam to investigate.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dont even fink about it posted:

Are you over 18? YES NO

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

dont even fink about it posted:

It's one of those endless youtube chillout music streams, but the gif is Sisko washing clams.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Delsaber posted:

It's one of those endless youtube chillout music streams, but the gif is Sisko washing clams.

It's beyond me why S T A R T R E K vaporwave isn't a thing yet

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's beyond me why S T A R T R E K vaporwave isn't a thing yet

Be the change

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

lol

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
A Piece of the Action was a good episode

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Windows 98 posted:

A Piece of the Action was a good episode
Yes.

Vanishing Point was not.

What was even the point of that. It was a combo of Barclay's transporter psychosis and Ro and Geordi's invisibility accident, made pointless with an 'it was all a dream' ending that was telegraphed so far in advance that it let out any tension this boring slog might have had.

I might need a watch guide for Enterprise S2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

I might need a watch guide for Enterprise S2

Star Trek Episode Guide:

Watch it all