Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

What the gently caress is going on with your LOTO? Sort that poo poo out.

LOTO can't do poo poo about screwy wiring, poo poo behind walls you can't see, and stuff that isn't electrical and shouldn't be hot ever, but is.

What about when you're not even working on electrical, but make contact with exposed wiring you didn't see? No, gently caress aluminum ladders. I do this poo poo for a living.

BlackMK4 posted:

Since we're on this subject... I don't want to go into the details because it involved some dumb-rear end poo poo, but my friend did this on his house main breaker a couple nights ago. I think we almost got pretty hosed up :lol:

Yeah be extraordinarily careful working on a main breaker. Bear in mind some utilities have started prohibiting working on (utility, non breaker protected) secondary voltage. As in, they can work on 12kv power lines, but not 240v hot. Arc flash is the real poo poo.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryrobots posted:

Yeah be extraordinarily careful working on a main breaker. Bear in mind some utilities have started prohibiting working on (utility, non breaker protected) secondary voltage. As in, they can work on 12kv power lines, but not 240v hot. Arc flash is the real poo poo.

I had to swap breakers in my panel last month putting a 240v circuit in. Hated it. Super easy, but I hate having the mains exposed.

Someone should post the picture ultimateforce posted last week on facebook with the main feeds taped off with electrical tape.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

angryrobots posted:

LOTO can't do poo poo about screwy wiring, poo poo behind walls you can't see, and stuff that isn't electrical and shouldn't be hot ever, but is.

What about when you're not even working on electrical, but make contact with exposed wiring you didn't see? No, gently caress aluminum ladders. I do this poo poo for a living.
Fair points.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I use 14’ones at work, and they are awesome and, useful, and great. They are also heavy, and I’d imagine the 22’ one is probably heavy enough to make most people not want to use it.

Do you have high vaulted ceilings or entrance stairs that would require this kind of ladder? Besides the fold out max length, their big use is for stairways since you can lengthen just one side.

I've got two stairwells that will need something at least 10' long, so maybe I could get by with the 13'. My dad has one too, so I might bug him to bring it along next time I see him. I definitely see where a 6' fiberglass ladder would be a great general purpose ladder, but I know for this project I'm going to need something else.

As for the 22', I think the hardware store down the street rents extension ladders too, so there's always that option if I do want/need something really long.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

angryrobots posted:

Way long ago I did a project for school in which I required use of thousands of watts at tens of thousands of volts. I didn't go on a ladder but we had plenty of sketchy wiring going on. It became SOP to only handle power circuits with one hand and the other behind our back. We also directly wired all tools with a hard connection straight to ground. Works pretty drat well for partially energized circuits. Not to say what we we're doing wasn't incredibly dumb.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I always liked having a 6’ a frame, a 16’ ext and a ladder plank for stairs. I also have a 2 foot long platform ladder for ceiling work. It’s a lot of ladder but it’s nice to have a real flat surface to walk on. Great for hanging rock or scrapping popcorn ceiling.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If wooden ladders are good enough for San Francisco firemen, they’re good enough for me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Jesus Christ dude, that really isn't good enough for an open work environment like a factory. Get yourself a proper padlock and tag station for people to use. You need to make it so people can't mess with stuff until everyone working on it has removed their LOTO kit.

builds character posted:

What if they're color blind?

Hahaha this is only for at home, everyone can read, everyone knows not to touch the breaker box, no one is colour blind.

At work my LOTO procedure is:
Remove main key from relevant machine. Map next to key shows what area is isolated by this key.
Lock key in adjacent lock box. Multiple lock points, key inside is visible.
Padlock is uniquely number and traceable back to me. My danger tag is attached to my lock, shows my face and my access level (what I'm allowed to gently caress with).
Follow safe entry procedure for that machine (different in every case)

If you need to cut a lock off (idiot went home without removing / lost key / idiot can't be found) there's a mandatory 30 minute search period before you get manager signoff to get the spare key or cut the lock. All spare keys are locked away and if you cut your own lock to avoid an rear end-kicking you'll get it later when you either get sent home for but having your lock or when you go crawling to the lock controller for a new lock without a signed cutoff sheet.

I'm the lock controller. I am the key master. Bow before me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you need to cut a lock off (idiot went home without removing / lost key / idiot can't be found) there's a mandatory 30 minute search period before you get manager signoff to get the spare key or cut the lock. All spare keys are locked away and if you cut your own lock to avoid an rear end-kicking you'll get it later when you either get sent home for but having your lock or when you go crawling to the lock controller for a new lock without a signed cutoff sheet.

:lol: well said.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

It just loving started when the breaker was turned back on?! That's incredibly unsafe and I'm pretty sure a flagrant violation of ISO 13850. Not that coal miners care, but I doubt OSHA liked it much.

Its totally possible there were more steps between "cut LOTO lock and threw breaker" and "friend's father almost being killed by coal crusher." I heard the story secondhand about six months after it happened.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Hahaha this is only for at home, everyone can read, everyone knows not to touch the breaker box, no one is colour blind.

At work my LOTO procedure is:
Remove main key from relevant machine. Map next to key shows what area is isolated by this key.
Lock key in adjacent lock box. Multiple lock points, key inside is visible.
Padlock is uniquely number and traceable back to me. My danger tag is attached to my lock, shows my face and my access level (what I'm allowed to gently caress with).
Follow safe entry procedure for that machine (different in every case)

My last job did LOTO... I wasn't technically a shop person, so I never had to deal with it directly. My LOTO training was watching the same 30 minute video everyone else did, then the building supervisor saying, "if you see a lock on something, don't loving touch it."

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

If you need to cut a lock off (idiot went home without removing / lost key / idiot can't be found)

Or if you're on many Australian mine sites, fly back to work at your expense and remove your lock. There's signs at the airport to remind people to remove their locks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm surprised it's not a firing offense too,

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I'm surprised it's not a firing offense too,

All OSHA violations should be ruled by Hammurabi's code.

You ignored a LOTO and turned someone into ground meat from the waist down? You're turn next, and that guy gets to pull the lever.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

pazrs posted:

There's signs at the airport to remind people to remove their locks.

Goddamn

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Anyone ever seen an M12 tool indicate like this? It seems to work fine otherwise, and it does this on every full battery I’ve got.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Maybe the LEDs are broken inside it? Odd.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Maybe the battery status is 10/15

:goonsay:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe the battery status is 10/15

:goonsay:

:lol: i was just about to post that same thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

lovely timing. I literally had the Milwaukee factory rep sitting in my office today.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I saw that when I didn’t have my battery fully inserted. Maybe you have something up in there preventing full penetration?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Big Taint posted:

I saw that when I didn’t have my battery fully inserted. Maybe you have something up in there preventing full penetration?

Try some soft music, a little wine and don't rush things.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is the harbor freight bench top band saw a good tool or a death trap?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

always be closing posted:

I’ve had it for a year and haven’t died so far. Ymmv

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Cool I want to use it to cut 3/4" x4" boards down to about an 1/8" thickness

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Which one of you nerds recommended the hilariously tiny Wright 3/8 ratchet? I already love this thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:lol: they actually call it “⅜″ Drive Ratchet with ¼″ Drive Ratchet Handle”.

It’s model № 3430.

Now get one of these:

Sadly, the head is not as compact.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 17, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Hypnolobster posted:

Which one of you nerds recommended the hilariously tiny Wright 3/8 ratchet? I already love this thing.
That looks really useful, actually.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

With a bench top band saw? :munch:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Maybe he wants 1/8th slices off the edge of the board?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hypnolobster posted:

*Puts breaker bar on it anyways*

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just lol at 45 teeth though.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm asking is this the right tool. Guess it's not judging by your smarmy reply :allears:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

I'm asking is this the right tool. Guess it's not judging by your smarmy reply :allears:

If that's the question, and your goal is to end up with 3/4" X 1/8" strips, a table saw would probably work better. A band saw is terrible at cutting straight and perpendicular compared to other tools.

Edit: A circular saw would also work in a pinch, but if you want the cuts to be straight it'd help to set up a guide, rather then just draw a line and try to follow it.

boxen fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 17, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Except that you didn't ask if it was the right tool, you asked if the HF saw was good, then said that you wanted to use it for "x." :v:

In an honest answer -- if you are talking about taking 1/8" x 3/4" strips off the board, it'd be fine, but difficult to keep straight. If you are talking about taking 4" x 1/8" strips off the board, it is absolutely not the right tool, you'd be better off ripping with a large table saw, but that's still working with awfully thin stuff.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

In an honest answer -- if you are talking about taking 1/8" x 3/4" strips off the board, it'd be fine, but difficult to keep straight. If you are talking about taking 4" x 1/8" strips off the board, it is absolutely not the right tool, you'd be better off ripping with a large table saw, but that's still working with awfully thin stuff.

Gotcha. I did some more posting and reading in the wood thread, and what I'm looking to do is resaw 3/4" planks in half to be planed and then work with the resulting, hopefully 1/4" thick board.

Based on not enough research I thought I could get away with setting up a fence and running the board through a bench top band saw. Looks like I am probably better served just finding boards closer to what I want to work with.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Gotcha. I did some more posting and reading in the wood thread, and what I'm looking to do is resaw 3/4" planks in half to be planed and then work with the resulting, hopefully 1/4" thick board.

Based on not enough research I thought I could get away with setting up a fence and running the board through a bench top band saw. Looks like I am probably better served just finding boards closer to what I want to work with.

Yeah, even if you had a proper fence rigged up, by the time you started cutting, you'd want to kill yourself, because the feed rate of cutting through 3 1/2" thick material with a desktop band saw would be unbelievably slow.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What exactly do you need the material cut to that dimension for?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I am building a small box. I see what your saying and I am probably totally approaching it wrong. I should cut the sides of the box out of the full size board and then split the smaller pieces.

E- this is the box I want to copy. First ever wood project, so I'm looking to find out what I need, then how to do it.
https://www.aaroncaincustomboxes.com/deck-vault-1

always be closing fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
That ratchet seems like a good joke but not really a joke gift to give to any friend that's stripped the hell out of a bolt in a very bad place.