Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

After watching all the Game Informer vids about the upcoming Dad of War, my passing interest has now transformed into... hype? For a God of War game? I dunno, I think it might actually end up being rather good.

The old game’s gameplay ruled and it sounds like they figured out how to make the story what it needs to be. Norse mythology is super badass sooooo yup. It should be great as long as they don’t screw it up. I’m hoping it has that vibe of nostalgia for old fans but also showing off what direction they want the IP to go in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I found Everyone’s Gone to the Rapture on my HD, I guess I bought it when it was on sale and forgot about it. It’s quite a bit better than I was led to expect from all the hate I’ve read......but how in the gently caress did Chinese Room never implement a faster speed? Like the sprint loving suuuuuucks. God I’d forgive it so much more if it wasn’t so drat slow

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think that game was PS+ at some point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I enjoyed Rapture way more than most people but a walking speed faster than snails pace would have been nice

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Neo Rasa posted:

The games are very different of course, but I still laugh that they published The Order: 1886 and Bloodborne so close to each other. Like did a bunch of Sony execs all see a Twilight or Underworld movie at the same time or something that we got two radically different AAA games from the same publisher within a month about a secret religious blood cult that hunts werewolves in grimdark fantastical Victorian London?

Apparently Guerrilla was also about to pitch a neo-Victorian fantasy game with vampires and werewolves and it was The Order 1886 that helped pushed them more toward Horizon Zero Dawn instead.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

Victorian fantasy game with vampires and werewolves

Uhhhh please give me this ASAP in the Horizon engine

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Neo Rasa posted:

The games are very different of course, but I still laugh that they published The Order: 1886 and Bloodborne so close to each other. Like did a bunch of Sony execs all see a Twilight or Underworld movie at the same time or something that we got two radically different AAA games from the same publisher within a month about a secret religious blood cult that hunts werewolves in grimdark fantastical Victorian London?
The Order was supposed to come out a lot earlier, at launch I think.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I forgot to mention this but A Hat in Time is one of my favorite games this decade and its in the PS Store for only $30. Its a little short, at around maybe 10-15 hours but everything about it is pure quality. I would really recommend it. If you're wondering if you would like it, I would put it at a combination of Super Mario Sunshine and Banjo Kazooie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exquisite tea posted:

After watching all the Game Informer vids about the upcoming Dad of War, my passing interest has now transformed into... hype? For a God of War game? I dunno, I think it might actually end up being rather good.

Same, it seems like they are actually trying to make kratos grow as a character instead of angry mentally broken prick. Plus that gameplay.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Over There posted:

I forgot to mention this but A Hat in Time is one of my favorite games this decade and its in the PS Store for only $30. Its a little short, at around maybe 10-15 hours but everything about it is pure quality. I would really recommend it. If you're wondering if you would like it, I would put it at a combination of Super Mario Sunshine and Banjo Kazooie.

Genuinely the only reason I haven’t bought this is because JonTron is in it

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Over There posted:

I'll definitely pick it up next time it's on sale, I hear nothing but good things about it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Escobarbarian posted:

Genuinely the only reason I haven’t bought this is because JonTron is in it

For gently caress sake he has one line in the entire game for some random bird behind a desk

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One too many!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Play the drat game

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I almost definitely will at some point, Odyssey gave me a hankering for new modern platformers that Yooka-Laylee certainly didn’t fix

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I found Everyone’s Gone to the Rapture on my HD, I guess I bought it when it was on sale and forgot about it. It’s quite a bit better than I was led to expect from all the hate I’ve read......but how in the gently caress did Chinese Room never implement a faster speed? Like the sprint loving suuuuuucks. God I’d forgive it so much more if it wasn’t so drat slow

that lovely sprint is already them compromising on previous games that didn't have any faster movement than the basic walk

even no clipping around in dear esther was the same speed as the horrifically slow walk iirc

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everybody's gone to the Rapture was one of my most anticipated PS4 games and I hated it. Couldn't even finish it. I love that genre but there is something so horrendously boring about that specific breed of walking simulator. EGTTR, Ethan Carter etc.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hopper posted:

Finished SotC. I never played past Colossus 3 in the orignal and did not spoil myself. I feel like I need to let the ending sink in. I wanna go straight to ng+ on one hand but on the other I don't feel ready to spoil the experience by repetition, if that makes sense.

Also I know it is pretentious to say it normally, but if you asked me for one game that shows that games can be art, this would be the one I'd name. It is so impactful in its minimalism and offers so little to distract you from exploring you own feelings towards your deeds while it excells at immersing you in a strange world with only a sliver of a story ...

Aside from how ridiculous "are games art" is, this is the exact thing I said to myself in 2005.

Sakurazuka posted:

The '15-ish hour story action game' seems to be Sony's first party studios bread and butter right now do I don't think they're going anywhere just yet

It's always been their bread and butter, which is why they were caught with their pants down during the PS3 gen in terms of online infrastructure.

I think it was Shawn Layden who said at PSX "we like single player games, we do them well, and we'll continue to focus on that", which seems to me an acknowledgement of the general volatility of the online multiplayer space (short term profit for most devs) vs the long term investment model that Japanese corporations often take.

exquisite tea posted:

I'd probably buy a new 8-10 hour story-based game with non-horrible pixel art production values at the $30-40 price point every week if they came out that frequently.

Have you played Celeste yet? How about Iconoclasts?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have Iconoclasts and I'm a few hours in but I don't think I really have the time to devote for it right now. I like what I've seen so far but I have to get back to it later. Celeste I'm sure is cool but platformers are not really my thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

I have Iconoclasts and I'm a few hours in but I don't think I really have the time to devote for it right now. I like what I've seen so far but I have to get back to it later. Celeste I'm sure is cool but platformers are not really my thing.

It has a great story and awesome music, if that makes any difference.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Everybody's gone to the Rapture was one of my most anticipated PS4 games and I hated it. Couldn't even finish it. I love that genre but there is something so horrendously boring about that specific breed of walking simulator. EGTTR, Ethan Carter etc.

Did you like What Remains Of Edith Finch? I love that game so loving much

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It rules that my gf’s favorite genre is walking simulators. She plays them all since I don’t have the patience for them. What Remains of Edith Finch is one of my favorite games ever and I didn’t have to play it. It’s amusing how that works.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, I loved it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everything Annapurna Interactive have released so far has been amazing. Admittedly that’s only Edith Finch and two iOS games but still

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll have to check those out. It's cool they are publishing games now.

I'm assuming you've played Unfinished Swan?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo I actually haven’t thanks for the reminder!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Annapurna will be publishing Kentucky Route Zero for consoles so they definitely have a idea of what they're doing

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Shadow of the..Catte

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Boogalo posted:

Shadow of the..Catte

This is how they got the inspiration for the last guardian.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

All games could use an "Insert Cat" option in their photo modes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh poo poo I actually haven’t thanks for the reminder!

They've come a little ways as a dev since then, but there is pretty much 100% chance you'll dig it if you enjoyed Edith Finch. It's still really good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Annapurna will be publishing Kentucky Route Zero for consoles so they definitely have a idea of what they're doing

I will cheerfully buy that game a second time. It’s a great experience. I kind of feel bad that the people on consoles will get it all at once. Yeah, the amount of time between episodes is pretty excessive but it really does benefit from having some time to digest it.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I somehow completely missed this game and you've made me very happy. Thank you !

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Surprised by the lack of hype for Iconoclasts, took a break from Monhun and beat it at around 11 hours. Solid metrovania style game, the writing was kind of odd but there are a ton of boss fights and they were all different and pretty great.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

All games could use an "Insert Cat" option in their photo modes

You can get some cute shots in Gravity Rush 2 if you are patient with Dusty.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I somehow completely missed this game and you've made me very happy. Thank you !

You’re very welcome! It quickly became an all-time favourite of mine, and I’m always happy when I put new people onto it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
In between myself playing and watching my roommate play Monster Hunter World, I keep wistfully imagining an alternate universe where there was a Dragon's Dogma sequel with MHW's production values, and then I snap back to reality and I'm dehydrated from all the crying.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Coughing Hobo posted:

In between myself playing and watching my roommate play Monster Hunter World, I keep wistfully imagining an alternate universe where there was a Dragon's Dogma sequel with MHW's production values, and then I snap back to reality and I'm dehydrated from all the crying.

I feel your pain.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I started playing Dragon's Dogma and got through the first hour or two. It felt super generic. People said I needed to get to the main city for it to get cool but whoops Monster Hunter came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Just finished and got the plat for The Nonary Games, which is the first two games in the Zero Time series (the previously handheld only games 999 and Virtue's Last Reward). Really excellent story if you can put up with the fact that visual novels have little actual gameplay. These games actually have more gameplay than most visual novels; the story is occasionally halted while you complete a series of decent puzzles.

I highly recommend this collection. I'm going to buy the third game (Zero Time Dilemma) instantly the moment it goes on a decent sale. I've noticed that some people skip 999 and jump straight in to Virtue's Last Reward. Don't do this. VLR's final segment will make a lot more sense if you've already completed 999.