Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

My question is how many people seem to just fall over at speed without any visible gently caress ups or obvious traction issues on the pavement or other outside influences, and by at speed I mean traffic and not 150 in a 30

I had the same question. Cycle asylum says its probably oil or gravel on the road you don’t see. Maybe tire issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So many fuckin people just dont even turn and go straight off the edge of the road

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Target fixation. On a motorcycle you look where you want to go. Those people chose to stare at a wall, tree, etc. I have been guilty of it myself with a skunk on my KLR and a deer on the XR.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so look I understand the us vs them mentality of 2 wheeling from my time on my bike, but I'd say a solid 80-90% of these are loving squarely at fault on the rider

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Im the guy on the snowmobile at 21:40

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

and 950s. :colbert:

The kawasaki (ex6) ninja 650 could be another option. Ptwin, not i4. efi and abs.

Neat, I didn't know bikes with that much tech could be had this cheaply. Modern bikes have come a long way.

Looks like the Versys is the same drivetrain + running gear?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Versys_650

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2008-kawasaki-versysobo/6456234953.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Kawasaki-Other/263492804818

PS Dave go take MSF first and get ready to get your endorsement, let's be real here, you still fall off your Huffy

Tremek fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 16, 2018

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yes the versys is its sibling and also a good bike, albit unsightly in the first gen.

XR/DR/KLR.
XR has the price, but an excellent bike of the 3 'soviet bikes'
DR is the middle ground of the three.
KLR is a better road bike of the 3, heavier, and slower than the other 2, but also cheaper than gently caress to own and run. Do the Do and that's the gist of it.

stock for stock for stock all of these will be pretty gutless at 7k feet.
ex6 engines fit in the klr...

My spouse started on an ex6, moved to a dr650, and now the AfricaTwin 1000.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tremek posted:

Neat, I didn't know bikes with that much tech could be had this cheaply. Modern bikes have come a long way.

Looks like the Versys is the same drivetrain + running gear?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Versys_650

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2008-kawasaki-versysobo/6456234953.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Kawasaki-Other/263492804818

PS Dave go take MSF first and get ready to get your endorsement, let's be real here, you still fall off your Huffy

BECAUSE YOU TOOK MY TRAINING WHEELS

bullshit hippy new age balance bike bullshit gently caress

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

BECAUSE YOU TOOK MY TRAINING WHEELS

bullshit hippy new age balance bike bullshit gently caress

Is this where you lash out at my kids owning you at poo poo

I got nothing here myself, I too was on training wheels way beyond this

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tremek posted:

Is this where you lash out at my kids owning you at poo poo

I got nothing here myself, I too was on training wheels way beyond this
Balance bikes are great. All kids should be put on one at the earliest possible point.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brEq2Ux0cIo

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Thanks for the balance bike suggestion... Just bought one for the little one who has been kinda discouraged trying to learn the bicycle.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Ok so look I understand the us vs them mentality of 2 wheeling from my time on my bike, but I'd say a solid 80-90% of these are loving squarely at fault on the rider

Yup. Going too fast to react, or not assuming the worst.

Cultivate a healthy paranoia. Everyone else on the road either cannot see you at all, or is actively trying to kill you. Either way, it is your problem because you're not the one protected by two tons of steel.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

So many fuckin people just dont even turn and go straight off the edge of the road

You have no idea how suddenly you can lose concentration and do this. It looks so loving stupid on video but I have almost done it a few times - usually in a sequence of corners where I'm riding just fine so I start loving life and thinking about how badass all this is and let's roll some more throttle and dang a beer will taste good when I get hOH gently caress TURN TURN TURN!!!!11 At this point you have a very small amount of time to force yourself to look into the corner where you want to go, instead of what you're about to loving hit, which is not very intuitive in a panic moment. Thankfully each time it has happened to me, a small MSF/CA lizard voice in the back of my brain screams "LOOK AND LEAN" and I have avoided running wide so far.

TheNothingNew posted:

it is your problem because you're not the one protected by two tons of steel.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

This is 100% the point of No Prisoners. You have to know that if you gently caress up on a bike you're in a significantly higher world of hurt than the same mistake on a car would land you in. You have to know that if the road conditions are poo poo, or some moron in a car cuts you off that the consequence could be death or making GBS threads in a bag for the rest of your life.

TheNothingNew posted:

Cultivate a healthy paranoia. Everyone else on the road either cannot see you at all, or is actively trying to kill you. Either way, it is your problem because you're not the one protected by two tons of steel.

This is exactly the right attitude for riding a motorcycle on public roads.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Memento posted:

This is exactly the right attitude for riding a motorcycle on public roads.

poo poo, I do this in anything I drive. Drive like you are invisible.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 17, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Every crash on a bicycle I can think of was due to everything being fine and me loving up. Braking too hard, veering too hard, hitting a telephone pole in the middle of the sidewalk too hard... That one was kinda surreal, time slowed down and I watched myself from a third person perspective ride straight into the pole like it wasn't there and then when time sped up I was back at the controls of my bike heading straight for the pole and I'm still not sure 20 years later how I didn't break myself in half when I hit it.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 17, 2018

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

...hitting a telephone pole in the middle of the sidewalk too hard... That one was kinda surreal, time slowed down and I watched myself from a third person perspective ride straight into the pole like it wasn't there and then when time sped up I was back at the controls of my bike heading straight for the pole and I'm still not sure 20 years later how I didn't break myself in half when I hit it.

I had a similar experience when I hit a mailbox at around 8 years old. Like bullet time, just watched the mailbox get bigger. I felt like I flew into the air on impact, balled up, and bounced off my back a couple times.

Of the three times I've gone down on my motorbikes, the first was poor throttle control pulling out of a parking lot (lowside), second I got caught daydreaming and panic - grabbed the front brake and dumped the front end (hit a car with my body and scared the bejesus out of the driver). The third time I don't know what the gently caress. Front just folded mid turn. The only explanation I have is that it was -2°C, I was on old Dunlop Q3's, and I must have clipped the manhole cover. Again, not paying attention.

Respect the ride, or you will die (or replace a bunch of bike parts and gear).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Aaaand that's why I gave up riding in about the mid 90's :v:

That and riding around Florida is loving boring anyway so what's the point.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Beach Bum posted:

I had a similar experience when I hit a mailbox at around 8 years old. Like bullet time, just watched the mailbox get bigger. I felt like I flew into the air on impact, balled up, and bounced off my back a couple times.

Of the three times I've gone down on my motorbikes, the first was poor throttle control pulling out of a parking lot (lowside), second I got caught daydreaming and panic - grabbed the front brake and dumped the front end (hit a car with my body and scared the bejesus out of the driver). The third time I don't know what the gently caress. Front just folded mid turn. The only explanation I have is that it was -2°C, I was on old Dunlop Q3's, and I must have clipped the manhole cover. Again, not paying attention.

Respect the ride, or you will die (or replace a bunch of bike parts and gear).

My first layout was like that 20 years ago. Rolling along, paying more attention to the braking car in front of me than the turn lane I was moving into, and suddenly a dreamy mental conversation that started with 'where did my bike go? it was here a moment ago' and watching the pavement drift closer followed by sliding helmet-first across the gravel shoulder and into the ditch. Apparently I hit a patch of oil on an asphalt road patch and completely lost traction. Figure I'm pretty lucky I got out of that with a wrecked helmet, sore neck, and some scars where the gravel ate my jacket and road burned my elbow.

Sold that bike for scrap and never bought another one. Can't trust myself on two wheels anymore.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Aaaand that's why I gave up riding in about the mid 90's :v:

Early '90s here, but it's calling to me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

Early '90s here, but it's calling to me.

I recently had a scooter to commute to work and after a few months was thinking of getting a supermoto, then I had an unfortunate encounter with a giant Egret, almost ate poo poo and sold the scooter shortly after that.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Applesnots posted:

poo poo, I do this in anything I drive. Drive like you are invisible.

I repeated the mantra “be critical of EVERY car” each time I got on my bike, and multiple times while riding. Focus and assumption that everything is trying to kill you cannot be overstated.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I recently had a scooter to commute to work and after a few months was thinking of getting a supermoto, then I had an unfortunate encounter with a giant Egret, almost ate poo poo and sold the scooter shortly after that.

Clearly you just need a much bigger motorcycle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

You clearly haven't hit an Egret at 40mph on a scooter, it's not fun imagining that giant spear of a beak impaling your torso and slowly bleeding out on the side of the road. Yes that's what went through my head seconds before impact.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 17, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yes that's what went through my head seconds before impact.

Followed shortly by the bird? :v:

In all seriousness all that is a big reason why I'd never be a biker. Reason 2 being I'm pretty sure they don't make sport bikes that fit my frame, and cruisers just don't interest me.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/17/passenger-drops-farts-so-putrid-pilot-is-forced-to-make-emergency-landing-7320242/

14 have you been flying?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

People pull infront of fire engines with lights and sirens going... bikes don't stand a goddamn chance.
Bright colors don't really help either.

You're invisible, period. Drive like this always no matter what.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Dave get an SV650. You'll love the torque, and 63hp is perfect for a beginner bike.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

Dave get an SV650. You'll love the torque, and 63hp is perfect for a beginner bike.

Realtalk my dad has a spare CBR F3, at this altitude how bad an idea is this

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing will make you feel more out of shape thab taking three 3-6 yr olds to the park

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Nothing will make you feel more out of shape thab taking three 3-6 yr olds to the park

My son does that to me on a daily basis :(

Local golf course just implemented foot golf (with soccer balls) and it's pretty awesome but now I'm sore :bahgawd:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

You clearly haven't hit an Egret at 40mph on a scooter, it's not fun imagining that giant spear of a beak impaling your torso and slowly bleeding out on the side of the road. Yes that's what went through my head seconds before impact.

I almost got run over by a big rig and swear to god my last word would have been WITNESS

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure I said "you stupid loving bird" right before it happened

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Realtalk my dad has a spare CBR F3, at this altitude how bad an idea is this

F3 is a 20+ year old bike at this point and carb'd yes? I think most bikes of that era also came out of the factory with bias ply tires, and while I'm sure the bike people in here can give you a lot more detail on how and what matters, if I were you I'd aim for something newer (and if sporty probably with radials?)

I think the biggest problem with an F3 you're going to face is that with no pun intended, you're a big motherfucker and that's a small bike. You'll feel like you're doing origami to get on it, will have a ton of weight on your wrists unless you also commit to doing crunches every day, and the riding position itself is just inherently uncomfortable for anyone approaching 6' tall much less over. Likely so much so that you won't want to be on it for more than an hour at a time, and remember CO is pretty big.

Can dad sell the F3 to finance something easier to live with? +1 to the SV650 except you need a fairing, and I'm not just being a wuss about that. Naked bikes are awesome in premise but a whole lot less awesome when you're doing 85 on the highway and conditions aren't absolutely perfect.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I think the F3 may be a bit much even at altitude. The vstrom 650 was nearly my second bike, it’s closely related to the sv but you sit more upright. Maybe at altitude its more suited for a beginner, get one with abs if you can.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I actually prefer a hunched riding position over an upright position, if my time setting up my road bikes is any indication on comfort levels. I miss my drop bars from my old Schwinn SuperSport.

AND YES, THE MSF IS STILL GOING TO HAPPEN

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tremek posted:

+1 to the SV650 except you need a fairing

SV650s have plenty of fairing unless you specifically remove or order it without (or did I miss someone picking one out without one?)
supermotoooooooo

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 18, 2018

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

SV650s have plenty of fairing unless you specifically remove or order it without (or did I miss someone picking one out without one?)
supermotoooooooo

I was going to suggest Supermoto, but I went with dr650 because Dave gets into enough trouble already without being a supermotard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

supermotoooooooo

The SV650S has a bit of fairing, but the base SV650 is naked as a jaybird.

Edit, I'm a previous SV650 owner, nthing the fact that they are awesome across-town bikes, but miserable at anything approaching highway speeds.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 18, 2018

• Locked thread