Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

angel opportunity posted:

I also really wanted to play Captain Sonar and thought I'd never get the chance. I did end up getting the chance and it's just really not fun imo. I didn't enjoy it at all after trying all the roles a few times, and I honestly never want to play it again. Unless you REALLY think it is exactly the type of game you'd love, it's probably going to let you down. It might be fun to me if I were playing with a full group of people I am friends with rather than boardgame nerds.

My experience was playing with a bunch of boardgame nerds, and each time we played it at least one person flipped out about the rules. The first time we had a guy splitting hairs about the "stop" rules, saying that it's impossible to really play the game as the rules say, and he'd do stuff like call out "stop" and then use the paused time to communicate with his team and ask where they want to shoot (which you are supposed to do BEFORE calling stop).

The second time I played, the guy who taught the game thought one of the players was unclear on a rule, so he asked him if he was doing something one way or another (I can't remember what it specifically was), and the guy he asked interpreted the question as an accusation of cheating. The guy asking the question said he was not accusing or implying that at all, just saying that's it's hard in real-time to make sure everyone is clear on the rules, and he wanted to double check. The other guy got even more angry and ragequit the game, then was angry about it the whole rest of the day.

Even without these annoying people flipping out over the game, I still wouldn't have enjoyed it. The people getting mad and all the problems we had playing it were an inherent issue with the way the game plays in real time. You can end up having annoying grey areas and questions of interpretation for how certain rules work, and it's overall just really really not that fun. Each role is not very satisfying by itself, and there's no real feeling for me of "I want to get really good at being engineer, let's play ten more games so I can really figure it out."

The game just disperses responsibility out so much that no one is really doing anything very fun, and when you win or don't win it feels so spread out who messed up or who did well that there is no real sense of accomplishment or failure.

I forgot that I own Captain Sonar.

I played it maybe 15 times and I have no desire to play it again. I might math trade it away. I'm also thinking about trying to turn The Colonists into something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have to make the difficult decision to consolidate Bridges of Shangri-La, Neuland, and ReWorld and decide which box art to keep. :negative:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Tried out the airships expansion for Scythe. First experience was kind of limp. We had the fast airships that can control territory, and work as retreat points, and also can bombard to reduce enemy combat strength before battle. I'm not sure if either one was ever used. It was kind of a lopsided game, with the Crimeans exploding out early, and there was hardly any combat anyways. Didn't use the alt victory conditions, as we had a pair of first-timers. We should probably just pick airship abilities that sound interesting, instead of drawing randomly.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Krazyface posted:

Tried out the airships expansion for Scythe. First experience was kind of limp. We had the fast airships that can control territory, and work as retreat points, and also can bombard to reduce enemy combat strength before battle. I'm not sure if either one was ever used. It was kind of a lopsided game, with the Crimeans exploding out early, and there was hardly any combat anyways. Didn't use the alt victory conditions, as we had a pair of first-timers. We should probably just pick airship abilities that sound interesting, instead of drawing randomly.

How many were you playing with? I find that game really needs 4 or 5 to box everyone in.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Played two new games today:

Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure: I can see why this game is popular. It's a classic center-market deckbuilder with all sorts of bullshit tacked on, but at least the bullshit doesn't actively interfere with the deckbuilding, has rewards and possible consequences. It's sort of lucky, which is bad, but on the other hand it's sort of a complicated push your luck game. Will definitely play again.

Bill & Teds's Excellent Boardgame: This game is random as hell, but at least it is brief and silly. It's super poorly ranked, but for whatever reason, it went over just fine with us. I certainly would not recommend getting it except for the most casual of casuals. It's like babby's first programming game. One odd design choices is that you only move forward or backwards, which means it is very common to move into a hazard, move away, and then move into it again. Strafing might help with that. I won on the last turn after losing the whole game because one player knocked off one of my passenger, which causes me to gain 4 passengers (net 3) instead of the one I planned on. It's random. But I would play it. It's inoffensive and very short.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Max posted:

How many were you playing with? I find that game really needs 4 or 5 to box everyone in.

5. All factions except the Nords and Polania. Crimea and the Saxons had nearly max combat-power, and the rest of us had not quite a full bar, and frankly I didn't realise how fast the Crimeans were going until it was too late.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Got any tips for teaching Viticulture or Scythe I should keep in mind, thread?

Kerro posted:

This is probably still not an appealing price but I have a spare copy I could ship from NZ that would cost you $350usd shipped. I have no idea about customs though, that's just what our post service calculates for international shipping (plus the cost of the game)

Thank you so much for the offer, but I don't want to risk going through customs. Not because of the fact that I'll have to pay around 50% of the total cost of the shipment, but because there's no guarantee it'll even get through. I ordered a few marker pens from Japan for my gf's birthday and it's been almost two weeks without any notification whatosever from customs. :rip: marker pens

Matter of time till I pay a visit to the northern hemisphere I suppose.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Azran posted:

Got any tips for teaching Viticulture or Scythe I should keep in mind, thread?

For Viticulture you can try describing the wine cycle from the back (sell order, make wine, harvest, ... plant vine, draw vine). Depending on the group you might want to mention that you can do well while making little/no wine through visitor cards and scattered points.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shipping out of America is frustrating as hell but god bless we don't give a gently caress what comes in the country unless it's haggis.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
For Scythe, start by talking about the map. Go over the action boards, and each of the top-row actions, and then each of the bottom-row actions. Once this is done, talk about how combat works. Then, talk about encounters, then the factory, and then the building-location bonuses. Finally, talk about the stars, how they trigger the end of the game, and how you get a bunch of money based on your popularity.

Important points:
-Encounters and battles happen after all movement is done, but before the bottom-row action begins.
-The attacker wins ties.
-You can choose mech upgrades in any order; you can move ANY cube to ANY space when upgrading; you can pick ANY instant-bonus when enlisting.
-Resources live on the map; your inventory is for money only.
-Enlistment bonuses happen when you, or either of the people sitting next to you, do the associated bottom-row action.
-The attacker can bring workers along with them, but the defender cannot lose popularity for displacing these workers.
-When you produce, all workers on the chosen tiles produce. If you have a mill, the mill and all workers on that tile produce. You may choose not to use the mill.
-You can't spend popularity you don't have (during an encounter). However, you can lose popularity you don't have when displacing workers; you just stop at 0.
-Polania's ability to displace workers without losing popularity only applies when a combat takes place. If you're just kicking them out without a battle, you lose the pop like normal.
-You do not pay the costs on the produce action (on the red bar, hidden under the unused workers) on the turn they are revealed; those costs apply every time you produce from now on.

Above all, stress to them that it's not a wargame, that a normal game has each player get in maybe 3 fights, one of which they lost on purpose. Also, if they are planning to fight, they need combat power, not lots of mechs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Has anyone tried Sidereal Confluence on TTS? I have to assume any real time game is basically non-functional but I'm sorta curious.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
The thought of an Antarctic Research Station goon whipping out Gloomhaven is really funny to me.

The SU&SD podcast had that guy who was going on a stint to Antarctica (iirc he was part of the permanent skeleton crew that would be there even in the off-season) asking what games he should take. I don't think they've heard back from him since... I guess the Thing got him

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I always hope another position opens up on USAJobs. It's like 12 month temporary, $120K tax free plus hazard pay, and I told myself I would bring Crokinole and start an international league.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

al-azad posted:

I always hope another position opens up on USAJobs. It's like 12 month temporary, $120K tax free plus hazard pay, and I told myself I would bring Crokinole and start an international league.

I've always wanted to play but never seen a board. Closest I got was Sorry Sliders for my son when he was like 5.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Would you guys say Viticulture EE is a must have for someone who loves worker placement? I have been looking for a game like Agricola but less tense, while keeping theme as a highlight and it would seem Viticulture fits this description pretty well.

Only thing is, it's pretty expensive at 58€ but I guess that's the price you pay for nice looking things.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Several people in this thread mentioned Libertalia at various points and I just wanna say thank you because now I know about this game and that I need to get it when I get some cash and I can find it discounted because everything about it is extremely my poo poo.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The Narrator posted:

The thought of an Antarctic Research Station goon whipping out Gloomhaven is really funny to me.

The SU&SD podcast had that guy who was going on a stint to Antarctica (iirc he was part of the permanent skeleton crew that would be there even in the off-season) asking what games he should take. I don't think they've heard back from him since... I guess the Thing got him

If SpaceX manages to put together a mission to establish a base on Mars, I'm volunteering and bringing Terraforming Mars with me

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What are your favorite card games playable with a 52-card standard deck? My family likes Oh Hell which is a trick-taking game involving bidding, but I feel it takes a little long to play in the way that we play it (19 rounds!)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I've always wanted to play but never seen a board.

Wish granted:

http://woodestic.com/crokinole/

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

al-azad posted:

Shipping out of America is frustrating as hell but god bless we don't give a gently caress what comes in the country unless it's haggis.

Listen to or read “American Kingpin” the book about the guy who started the Silk Road for an idea how true that statement really is.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Played the tutorial scenario and 'High School Sweethearts' from Fog of Love with my missus today.

I'm really quite impressed. It's not a great game in the traditional sense. Mechanically it's reasonably simple. You and your partner role play a couple in a developing relationship. You select 3 personality traits from a selection of 5, which defines what your general objectives are for the game. You then select 1 of 3 occupations, and then (in a really adorable touch) assign 3 features to your partner, along with a little story about what attracted you to them (You might pick 'seductive eyes', and describe to your partner how they caught your gaze from across the room, and the first thing you noticed was their eyes). The combination of job and features defines starting personality elements.

You'll then take turns playing 'scenes' from your hand over a number of chapters. These will be relationshippy events, and either something which is just a choice your partner makes, or something you both choose. Depending on choices, you'll add points to your personality or adjust scores or both. Sometimes you can change your traits or occupation. You'll also have secrets that can be good or bad, and reactions. Additionally, you'll have to narrow down your 'destiny', which is your overall individual win condition.

After three chapters of play, you'll reveal secrets, then score your 'traits'. Finally, you'll compare your overall situation to your destiny, to determine whether your relationship continues and if you're personally fulfilled by it.

Gameplay is quite simple, and you can start playing straight out of the box by using tutorial cards embedded in the various decks.

The conversations and roleplaying moments you'll have during the game are really interesting, and at the end of the session, my wife said that it's a game she really wants to play again. The only other game she said that about was Pandemic (normal and legacy). As a way to share your hobby with your gaming reluctant partner, it's really nicely done.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Funny you should mention Fog of Love, we've also played those two scenarios and I felt it was a bit flat. I agree that it's not a great game in the conventional sense, but worse than that, I felt strangled and railroaded by the mechanics, like there's frequently so few good options. I feel like too much comes down to "did we draw cards that will allow us to advance our goals and will the resulting personality points actually leave us with any viable destiny cards for winning?". It was a little bit amusing reading the cards and seeing the various scenarios presented.

Roleplaying a bit helps, but then it just feels like the age old "taking a game that isn't fun on its own and forcing the players to make it fun", like how everyone says Gloom is a great "storytelling game" but it's really just a poo poo card game where the rules say "oh by the way it'll probably be fun if you tell stories about what's happening". The "railroading" above doesn't really make me excited about roleplaying either, having played TTRPGs in the past, when in comparison this feels more like going to an audition for a soup commercial and being handed a script.

I want to play a scenario that has the breakup destiny cards included before I pass judgement on it, because it felt really annoying to be playing out these dysfunctional relationships that are doomed to fail, but not be able to break them up.

The tutorial is amazingly sleek though.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Scyther posted:

Funny you should mention Fog of Love, we've also played those two scenarios and I felt it was a bit flat. I agree that it's not a great game in the conventional sense, but worse than that, I felt strangled and railroaded by the mechanics, like there's frequently so few good options. I feel like too much comes down to "did we draw cards that will allow us to advance our goals and will the resulting personality points actually leave us with any viable destiny cards for winning?". It was a little bit amusing reading the cards and seeing the various scenarios presented.

Roleplaying a bit helps, but then it just feels like the age old "taking a game that isn't fun on its own and forcing the players to make it fun", like how everyone says Gloom is a great "storytelling game" but it's really just a poo poo card game where the rules say "oh by the way it'll probably be fun if you tell stories about what's happening". The "railroading" above doesn't really make me excited about roleplaying either, having played TTRPGs in the past, when in comparison this feels more like going to an audition for a soup commercial and being handed a script.

I want to play a scenario that has the breakup destiny cards included before I pass judgement on it, because it felt really annoying to be playing out these dysfunctional relationships that are doomed to fail, but not be able to break them up.

The tutorial is amazingly sleek though.

I can certainly see that side of things, especially if you're more of a RPG player, or your partner is already a willing gamer. I did feel a bit constrained and railroaded, but to see how my 'gaming negative' wife was able to connect with the game and even really get into the deeper mechanisms of the game was not something I've seen a lot of.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Just played Descent for the first time, really really enjoyed it. I asked a similar ish question before, I realize it's a bit of an odd one, but, is there anything similar but without fighting?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Would you guys say Viticulture EE is a must have for someone who loves worker placement? I have been looking for a game like Agricola but less tense, while keeping theme as a highlight and it would seem Viticulture fits this description pretty well.

Only thing is, it's pretty expensive at 58€ but I guess that's the price you pay for nice looking things.

No. Its ok but quickly progresses to boring.
I'm sorry I have no other recommendations because while it teaches you the ropes, the blisters you get from climbing them are not worth it. Worker placement games can be good but that one was a very pretty, yet very boring game.

There was chat a page or so back about houserules that make it better but meh. That means the game is missing stuff. Fwiw though some of those rules make sense. Especially the red/white grape split deck.

After dissing a thread darling i should really suggest something else and I'm sorry to not be able to.

for the non serious answer the ultimate in WP games is a hex and counter wargame lol.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You misspelled Napoleon's Triumph. ;)

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

!Klams posted:

Just played Descent for the first time, really really enjoyed it. I asked a similar ish question before, I realize it's a bit of an odd one, but, is there anything similar but without fighting?

When you say 'without the fighting', is it the randomness of dice-based combat you don't like, or just the fact you're attacking and killing stuff?

What do you like about Descent? The tactical positioning, the character advancement, the adversarial Overlord versus the players?

At any rate Pandemic Legacy sounds like your best bet as a co-op, combatless, diceless system with character advancement.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

bobvonunheil posted:

When you say 'without the fighting', is it the randomness of dice-based combat you don't like, or just the fact you're attacking and killing stuff?

What do you like about Descent? The tactical positioning, the character advancement, the adversarial Overlord versus the players?

At any rate Pandemic Legacy sounds like your best bet as a co-op, combatless, diceless system with character advancement.

So, it's nothing to do with not liking it. I just find it weird that games can be about literally anything, but there aren't really any coop games that aren't about fighting, except for "best-game-in-the-world pandemic legacy" and it's forebears.

I'm kinda beating a dead horse here, for which I have no excuse, and can only apologise. I just find it so hard to believe, lol. Also, this isn't like, a 'gotcha' thing where I'm trying to diss the state of boardgames, and I know there is a bunch of stuff not about fighting, that's not coop. I just find it really really surprising.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

!Klams posted:

So, it's nothing to do with not liking it. I just find it weird that games can be about literally anything, but there aren't really any coop games that aren't about fighting, except for "best-game-in-the-world pandemic legacy" and it's forebears.
Flash Point, Hanabi, Kitchen Rush, Magic Maze, Onirim, Forbidden Island/Desert, Fuse, Escape: The Curse of the Temple.

All co-op, no fighting in any of them. And, in fact, most of those are very good, too!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Betrayal at the House on the Hill/Baldur's Gate is co-op for 90% of the game (and sometimes longer!), there's generally very very little combat, and the exploration mechanics and sheer number of haunt scenarios give it a ton of replayability.

...that said, they're not "good games" - they're very flawed, often have weird rules edge cases, and some haunts are just the antithesis of fun. But despite that, it's still one of my favorite games in my collection, because playing it with a spooky movie on and good friends, we always manage to salvage a good time even when it goes horribly wrong.

e: Forbidden Desert is great but I don't suggest Forbidden Island to people, it's like bad Pandemic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sleekly posted:

for the non serious answer the ultimate in WP games is a hex and counter wargame lol.
Go on....

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

!Klams posted:

I'm kinda beating a dead horse here, for which I have no excuse, and can only apologise. I just find it so hard to believe, lol.

There's tons of them. In addition to WhiteHowler's list there's also The Game, Codenames: Duel and Mysterium.

For that matter, Archipelago has virtually zero elements of fighting even with the War and Peace expansion and none without it - the control of crises and rebellion level are about keeping the islanders happy, not quelled.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

!Klams posted:

Kitchen Rush, Mysterium, Hanabi, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

*edit*

Woah I should have refreshed instead of replying to something I opened before I went to nap...

nimby fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 18, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I really like SHCD, but I also think it really stretches the definition of "board game". It's a puzzle that can be played as a group. That's not to say it doesn't fit the criteria they're looking for (hell, sometimes just sitting on the couch with my wife and the SHCD box is better than breaking something out with a ton of rules) but if you go into expecting a really "gamey" game it might fall short.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I think the rules of Sherlock Holmes Insulting Detective actually work against enjoying it.

You're sent out into the world with "A murder has occurred, go and solve it while visiting as few places as possible" as your brief. Once you decide you have solved the murder, you come back to Holmes, and he asks you questions about the case. You get points for each correct answer, and you lose points for every place you visited during the course of the investigation.

The problem with this system are:

1. You don't know what questions you're going to get asked. You can usually expect, "Who did the murder, how did they do it, and why?" to show up, but there'll usually be something out of left field like "Why did Maurice Van Rosen go to the boathouse?", plus about 50% of the questions you'll be asked usually don't have anything to do with the case at all - they're just stuff you might have found out during the course of the investigation.

2. Making players aware that each place they go is losing them points can make them act in odd ways. You'd expect a murder investigation to do a bunch of obvious things - visit the morgue, go to the murder scene, go to the victim's house, that sort of thing - but they're encouraged to skip as much as possible in favour of following the lead that's most distant from the start of the investigation. The places you're aware of at the start of the game are "Depth 1", while places you can find out by going to the "Depth 1" locations are "Depth 2". From a gaming point of view, it's best to go to a Depth 2 place before a Depth 1 place, since anyone can go to a Depth 1 place, while a Depth 2 place is further into the investigation. This means you might not bother doing an important step like going to the coroner, since you found the special cigarette at the murder scene so it's time to go to the tobacconist. This leaves holes in the story.

When our group plays, we basically don't care about score, and we go to Holmes once we feel we've got a decent handle on the events of the case. If Holmes asks us a bunch of unexpected questions, we go back to the case and investigate some more until we have a decent answer for everything.

Turns out "Here's a story, read as little of it as possible" isn't really a compelling design.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gort posted:

Sherlock Holmes Insulting Detective

Please tell me that's autocorrect at work, it would spoil my day to think it was deliberate.

"You know my methods, Watson, you loving dildo."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I mean Holmes is definitely a dick.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I've been given The Thing board game for my birthday. How scared should I be of it being bad game?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah, the negative points are Homes being rude to you for having to walk around London to figure out whodunnit. Guy's a jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

WhiteHowler posted:

Flash Point, Hanabi, Kitchen Rush, Magic Maze, Onirim, Forbidden Island/Desert, Fuse, Escape: The Curse of the Temple.

All co-op, no fighting in any of them. And, in fact, most of those are very good, too!

Jedit posted:

There's tons of them. In addition to WhiteHowler's list there's also The Game, Codenames: Duel and Mysterium.

For that matter, Archipelago has virtually zero elements of fighting even with the War and Peace expansion and none without it - the control of crises and rebellion level are about keeping the islanders happy, not quelled.

nimby posted:

Kitchen Rush, Mysterium, Hanabi, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

*edit*

Woah I should have refreshed instead of replying to something I opened before I went to nap...

Yay! You guys and this thread are awesome.