Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Have you considered that my unfounded hypothesis unsupported by any real evidence is in fact correct, and you can't prove me wrong because I said so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the religious controversy preventing capcom from releasing mega man legends 3 is really dragging it down :(

Gitro
May 29, 2013
PC gamers, a zealous, riotous lot, will never allow Bloodborne to be ported to their holy gamebox.

There's so much stuff in warframe I've had to wiki/ask people about because the in-game info is sparse, hard to find or nonexistent.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sorry, I meant contradictions in the wiki when I was looking for help. I can’t remember which boss it was but two parts of the same article, one claimed it was fire-resistant, the other it was weak. I was approaching it from my side as a newbie to DS2, having to deal with SotFS as opposed to someone with prior knowledge of the game.

I enjoy the series, I’m just really bad at them so I do a lot of research.

Oh, yeah. That happens. There's 3 wikis for each game now and since I'm doing a run through each game with the exact same armor and weapon I have to, of course, find it. In 2 the Dark Armor is scattered about the world in chests. In Scholar it got scattered about even more. Two out of the three wikis doesn't mention where the chests are in the scholar edition or give straight up factually wrong information.

food court bailiff posted:

the religious controversy preventing capcom from releasing mega man legends 3 is really dragging it down :(

Organized religion is why we'll never get Bloodborne on PC! :argh:

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Why don't you go be the change you want to see, MisterBibs? Learning to code isn't that hard these days. Make your own afterlife sim game, and if it gets a bunch of controversy for it's subject matter, we'll all admit we were wrong and eat cut up hotdogs in penance. Otherwise, let it go already, for fucks sake.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Gitro posted:

Have you considered that my unfounded hypothesis unsupported by any real evidence is in fact correct, and you can't prove me wrong because I said so?

:emptyquote:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Every game that doesn't get a sequel doesn't get a sequel because of the controversy? The fact that there's no sequel proves my point.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PubicMice posted:

Why don't you go be the change you want to see, MisterBibs? Learning to code isn't that hard these days. Make your own afterlife sim game, and if it gets a bunch of controversy for it's subject matter, we'll all admit we were wrong and eat cut up hotdogs in penance. Otherwise, let it go already, for fucks sake.

There it is! This argument can officially end the hotdog was brought up

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

We discussed the not-even-close-to-what-Afterlife-does stuff before. Given that it's not even close to what Afterlife is, though, it just keeps being brought up because there's nothing else even close to Afterlife, for the obvious reasons (aka the ones I brought up that drag the game down). No matter how hard you cite games with religion in them, it's never going to spit out a game that proves me wrong. You'd have to have a remake of Afterlife for that, and it's not happening for the reasons I've told you.

General drag-down that happens across a bunch of games: in any game in which you have to collect stuff (be they literally collectable items, or just things you need to constantly improve), my motivation to keep playing drops as I get closer to the endpoint. You'd think that it'd be motivating to see that I only have 25 glorbs or one armor slot to upgrade before I'm done, but it's the opposite. I haven't touched Super Mario Odyssey in ages, for example,. because I've got a vast majority of the moons the game provides, and a Saint's Row IV save that's 98% complete that I really just have no desire to finish off.

You're falling hard into a formal logical fallacy here, post hoc ergo propter hoc, where events following a given event are taken as being caused by that event. You're also dismissing entirely more reasonable explanations and counterexamples that suggest your rule holds true for exactly one case. I would recommend taking a long look at exactly what you're arguing and why.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

How come they never made another Carmen Sandiego game, anyways? Those things were the best, I'd love to play them with my kids.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
According to the wiki article of the franchise, there's one that came out in 2015 and a few that came out for the Wii in 2011/2012, and a decent handful going back past that.

Somfin posted:

I would recommend taking a long look at exactly what you're arguing and why.

I'm not arguing anything, because me listing an example of what drags down the game of Afterlife isn't up for debate. Any arguments came from people thinking it was, in defiance of the whole no-Afterlife-game-since-1996 thing that renders any potential argument baseless on the spot. Twenty years matters a whole bunch more than a dead language when it comes to convincing, after all.

Half-update, half its own drag-down: I decided to install Evil Genius despite knowing I'd get annoyed by the various and sundry drag-down things... and the game is so old that I can't find a mod that made one of the more annoying things (none of your minions are armed by default, they are only armed if you set the security to Yellow Alert) less annoying. Did I mention that this is a game that crashes if you watch your ultimate nemesis be defeated? :sigh: I wanted to love you, EG, I really did.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Feb 18, 2018

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Grem posted:

How come they never made another Carmen Sandiego game, anyways? Those things were the best, I'd love to play them with my kids.

Too controversial, duh.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm still hurt that they never released Where In The Liturgy Is Carmen Sandiego? :(

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

Half-update, half its own drag-down: I decided to install Evil Genius despite knowing I'd get annoyed by the various and sundry drag-down things... and the game is so old that I can't find a mod that made one of the more annoying things (none of your minions are armed by default, they are only armed if you set the security to Yellow Alert) less annoying. Did I mention that this is a game that crashes if you watch your ultimate nemesis be defeated? :sigh: I wanted to love you, EG, I really did.

I think there is a mod pack that does a bunch of bugfixing and QoL stuff and the like that really improves the game, though... I can't find it now. It might be this overhaul mod you can find on the nexus, but it's description is very sparse and I remember it being more detailed about that when I used it last, so not sure.

Starfarer Starsector, an early access game still in development, has had a ton of changes since I last played, most good and neat and cool, the game actually has meat on it's bones now, but jesus christ the AI are all cowards. I'm getting attacked by pirates who just endlessly kite me and refuse to engage, as my AI units endlessly kite them, everyone hovering just outside their own goddamn weapon ranges. The 'don't hire these officers they are literally suicidal' officers are actually completely necessary because they'll actually fly goddamn close enough to a ship to loving shoot it my god. Like, ok pirates, your attacking me, you wanna actually, you know, loving try to shoot at me without me having to spin my ship around and shake it's rear end at you to bait you into maybe dedicating to an actual attack.

Jawnycat has a new favorite as of 08:46 on Feb 18, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Grem posted:

I guess somebody did in 2015 but it was apparently terrible.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Vic posted:

EDIT for content: I never played Demon Souls so I looked up world tendency
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

So dying makes it harder but you get more souls to level up therefore it makes it easier to up your stats? It sounds pretty interesting actually. What was it like in reality?

In reality it's a mess because everytime you go back to the Nexus it averages it with the World Tendency of everyone else online, something like that.
So currently with everyone playing for the last time online, even though I haven't been dying it's been impossible for me to get pure white tendency.
It's also something you'll likely never notice your first time through the game, but I do enjoy it, even if it wasn't implemented in the best way.

There's also Character Tendency
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-tendency
So if you repeatedly get down black world tendency, you'll give yourself white soul tendency, making you stronger in soul form.
And then if you're a jerk going around and killing NPCs you get your health decreased.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Film and television were similarly laissez faire about preservation in their infancy. Like all things considered gaming has it pretty good, even when we lose the source code at least thanks to emulation and the prevalence of home releases there's very few games that have ever truly been lost to history. Meanwhile there are multiple Academy Award nominees that are just completely gone forever, parts of Metropolis are still just title cards describing missing scenes, countless hours of live television were just thrown away after broadcast, and the first Super Bowl currently survives entirely as a single recording someone found in an attic that can't actually be legally released to the public. The Library of Congress even archives game releases to the point where they've obtained games that were never actually released.

If anything it's actually getting worse as time goes on because multiplayer and Games As Service keep getting more and more integrated and commonplace. Like Farmville is a game that is unquestionably of historical value but there's really no way to preserve it as something you can actually play even if you have a perfect copy of the source code. Same with something like Dark Souls, even if you can technically complete it in offline mode losing the entire passive multiplayer element means the actual experience will never be the same.

Not only did the production companies throw out old materials, they actively reused the film stock after certain period of shelf time.

This basically means that if someone became a huge star later on, they still might have thrown out the early works of that actor. If I remember correctly Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Charles Chaplin, Marx Brothers, Roscoe Arbuckle and Buster Keaton all have in common that they were globally known superstars of their time, but some of their early works simply no longer exists in any form, and this was known case already when most of those performers were still alive. Luckily, especially with the slapstick comedies, the gags, the ideas and concepts were often recycled into other productions so we have sort of an idea on what that movie was about.

Its like the Mario Bros -game from the arcade cabinet would suddenly have completely disappeared, and all we have available is the mini-game from SMB3 and some older folk telling us what the game was like.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The BBC was still wiping their archives in the late 1970s - including stuff like live Beatles performances which, obviously, nobody would ever want to see again.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Grem posted:

I support a revival of Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiego games.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Bibs, was there an Afterlife sim before 1996, either?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

The BBC was still wiping their archives in the late 1970s - including stuff like live Beatles performances which, obviously, nobody would ever want to see again.

The early movie studios had the excuse of home video systems being 50 years into the future and the film being a huge expense event to the larger companies, so no-one thought that there would be any reason to save stuff once it had cycled domestically, and copies were sold abroad.

What was the BBC's excuse? Government job and a giant "gently caress you" to the audience, especially teenagers and young adults (plus a nifty way to destroy evidence on child abuse)? There is no way that they didn't known how much their stuff could have been worth in resales and video releases.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

What was the BBC's excuse? Government job and a giant "gently caress you" to the audience, especially teenagers and young adults (plus a nifty way to destroy evidence on child abuse)? There is no way that they didn't known how much their stuff could have been worth in resales and video releases.

What could they have in there of value? Old Dr. Who reruns?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

Their excuse was that the tapes were expensive and could be reused.

Edit - They wiped the drat moon landing, so I doubt it was a policy to get back at teens.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 10:34 on Feb 18, 2018

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Der Kyhe posted:

It was standard practice for all British TV stations, commercial and government owned. ITV was doing the same thing. There wasn't any meaningful home video market at the time, and most of the material wiped had already been resold to overseas markets. As more and more countries switched to color television, it was assumed old black-and-white television had no further resale value, so it was wiped to free up archive space. If there was any political motivation, I suspect it was the other way around - the BBC didn't want to be accused of wasting taxpayer money by holding on to hundreds of old episodes of shows nobody wanted anymore.

(And it wasn't just in Britain - in the US, the entire archive of the DuMont TV network was dumped in the NY East River sometime in the mid-70s.)

Angry Salami has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Feb 18, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Angry Salami posted:

(And it wasn't just in Britain - in the US, the entire archive of the DuMont TV network was dumped in the NY East River sometime in the mid-70s.)

That one makes no sense - surely they'd want to keep the storage media for future use, or was it just obsolete tech at that point?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

That one makes no sense - surely they'd want to keep the storage media for future use, or was it just obsolete tech at that point?

I just looked this up because I was curious.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070927072638/http://www.loc.gov/film/hrng96la.html

quote:

"I don't know what happened to the CBS shows, but have
recently learned what happened to the Dumont shows. That's the
early Jackie Gleason Shows, including the original Honeymooners,
Captain Midnight, and the Kovacs Specials. Well, they were
taken care of in a most unique and swift fashion.

In the earlier '70's, the Dumont network was being
bought by another company, and the lawyers were in heavy
negotiation as to who would be responsible for the library of the
Dumont shows currently being stored at the facility, who would
bear the expense of storing them in a temperature controlled
facility, take care of the copyright renewal, et cetera.

One of the lawyers doing the bargaining said that he
could "take care of it" in a "fair manner," and he did take care
of it. At 2 a.m., the next morning, he had three huge semis back
up to the loading dock at ABC, filled them all with stored
kinescopes and 2" videotapes, drove them to a waiting barge in
New Jersey, took them out on the water, made a right at the
Statue of Liberty and dumped them in the Upper New York Bay.
Very neat. No problem."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So King Solomon cut the baby in half. Huh. That's dumb.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Eh, "the gently caress do we do with this poo poo?" is a pretty big question. We're talking about an absolute poo poo load of film. Note also that older film was not only a hideous pain to keep from deteriorating it was also incredibly flammable. When you're talking about anything from before the 1950's you're talking about cellulose nitrate which is really quite dangerous. See not only is it extremely flammable it's very hard to put out, burns hot, catches the film next to it on fire real quick, and releases toxic fumes as it burns. Storing that poo poo safely is not cheap or easy.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I guess somebody did in 2015 but it was apparently terrible.

It requires some specific camera thing or something, that I'm sure no one has anymore, so not an option! And the older ones don't play on anything newer than Windows 2000 or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There's an irrelevant Carmen Sandiego platformer on the PS2 that I beat last week that is surprisingly fun. So there is that. Carmen has a good banter with the main character and some of the clues are funny :3: Personal favourite:

"She got away again..."
"Did she leave a clue?"
"Not this time, guess she didn't have a chance... wait..." *Little windup steamboat comes trundling across the dock playing loud music* "New Orleans, Louisiana!"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Grem posted:

It requires some specific camera thing or something, that I'm sure no one has anymore, so not an option! And the older ones don't play on anything newer than Windows 2000 or something.

DOSbox is your friend.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

BioEnchanted posted:

There's an irrelevant Carmen Sandiego platformer on the PS2 that I beat last week that is surprisingly fun. So there is that.

Of course there is, and of course you did.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eh, "the gently caress do we do with this poo poo?" is a pretty big question. We're talking about an absolute poo poo load of film. Note also that older film was not only a hideous pain to keep from deteriorating it was also incredibly flammable. When you're talking about anything from before the 1950's you're talking about cellulose nitrate which is really quite dangerous. See not only is it extremely flammable it's very hard to put out, burns hot, catches the film next to it on fire real quick, and releases toxic fumes as it burns. Storing that poo poo safely is not cheap or easy.

That's actually why I asked about the BBC policy; for the old 20's Hollywood I do understand it because film storage was a incendiary bomb repository waiting to go off, there was no resale market whatsoever and film was really, really expensive to the point of sinking the entire production if cameras failed.

But shitcanning stuff like moonlandings, concert recordings (esp. someone like The Beatles), documentaries and stuff with cultural, historical or research value in the 70's was just plain stupid, IMHO.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Jawnycat posted:

Starfarer Starsector, an early access game still in development, has had a ton of changes since I last played, most good and neat and cool, the game actually has meat on it's bones now, but jesus christ the AI are all cowards. I'm getting attacked by pirates who just endlessly kite me and refuse to engage, as my AI units endlessly kite them, everyone hovering just outside their own goddamn weapon ranges. The 'don't hire these officers they are literally suicidal' officers are actually completely necessary because they'll actually fly goddamn close enough to a ship to loving shoot it my god. Like, ok pirates, your attacking me, you wanna actually, you know, loving try to shoot at me without me having to spin my ship around and shake it's rear end at you to bait you into maybe dedicating to an actual attack.

I was recently playing Starsector too, but didn't really have this problem. The trick is to have fast ships, both for you and your officers (Overdriven Lashers :pcgaming:) since they will gleefully zip into weapons range, kick the target square in the dick, and zip back out until the enemy is wiped out.

In larger fleet battles, with a few exceptions, most ships plow right into my heavy weapons and get rocked.

Thing Dragging Starsector Down: Surveying is turbo-useless, I want those skill points back :argh:
Also Remnant ships are way too hard to find when you want to grind out those sweet, sweet weapons/LPCs. [Also they're stupidly fast and cowardly so they do actually never engage :argh:]

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

KingSlime posted:

Lol! What the gently caress even lead to that

I foolishly thought this would be off-topic so many pages later but: He maintains that despite hours of thoroughly laid out arguments to the contrary, RLM hates the Star Wars prequels solely because of nostalgia for the original films, or if you prefer a lack of nostalgia for the prequels. Something something "not my Star Wars".

Anyway I'm really glad the controversy around managing a wacky hospital died down so they can finally make that Theme Hospital spiritual successor.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Feb 18, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

That's actually why I asked about the BBC policy; for the old 20's Hollywood I do understand it because film storage was a incendiary bomb repository waiting to go off, there was no resale market whatsoever and film was really, really expensive to the point of sinking the entire production if cameras failed.

But shitcanning stuff like moonlandings, concert recordings (esp. someone like The Beatles), documentaries and stuff with cultural, historical or research value in the 70's was just plain stupid, IMHO.

Government policy also tends to be behind current technology so maybe that was it? Even so storing a lot of film on physical media takes up a ton of space. Though you're right; pretty stupid.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gitro posted:

PC gamers, a zealous, riotous lot, will never allow Bloodborne to be ported to their holy gamebox.

There's so much stuff in warframe I've had to wiki/ask people about because the in-game info is sparse, hard to find or nonexistent.

One of the big things killing Warframe for me is that I can't access my character cross-platform. I'd love to play it on PS4, but I put like 200 hours into the PC version and there's no way in hell I'm doing that stuff again. At this point, I'm at peace with only playing the game a couple times a year to see the periodic story updates.

Caufman posted:

I support a revival of Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiego games.

All I want is Oregon Trail, more or less exactly the same as the 90s Windows/Mac update of it, but on modern consoles/phones with a modern interface. Unfortunately, all of the versions in the last 10 years are complete garbage.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm just pissed off that fear of religious controversy means they dont make Katamari games any more.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Those loving zealots are the reason nobody has made a sequel to Cybersled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Religious fervor is why I'll never get a sequel to EYE: Divine Cybermancy. Never again will my legs be fine :saddowns: