Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

Do you think there will be a chapter in the future where Luffy eats donuts with his good friend Dogtooth?

0.002% chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

One detail I'm still liking about this fight- it continues to be about character growth for Katakuri.

"That hurts! This sucks, I'm hungry!"
"What the hell are you saying?"
"Everything that's been on my mind, but now I feel better!"

Katakuri (potentially) learning to discard dignity and his cloak of "coolness" and become a better person is a pretty interesting subplot for an arc's final boss fight! Earnest, open, and goofy vs. stoic, badass, and cool is thematically interesting, especially when you can slowly see the latter's eyes opening.

Edit: You know what, yeah. That seems reasonable with how things have been going. I could totally see Katakuri and Luffy being friends after this. They're on different sides, but Katakuri isn't evil. Unless I've forgotten some puppy kicking he's actually a pretty okay guy, just doing his duty.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 17, 2018

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

He did merc those dudes that saw his utterly sinful behavior.

This chapter owned though. That first Diced Mochi attack and the immediate aftermath panel of him were so loving good.

I hope Katakuri is in Pirate Warriors 4 whenever we get it. He'll be fun as gently caress.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

He did merc those dudes that saw his utterly sinful behavior.

This chapter owned though. That first Diced Mochi attack and the immediate aftermath panel of him were so loving good.

I hope Katakuri is in Pirate Warriors 4 whenever we get it. He'll be fun as gently caress.

looking at dynasty warriors 9 we might not want there to be a pirate warriors 4

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Fawf posted:

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a donut

lmao this

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

AkumaHokoru posted:

I dunno, Warriors games are so varied in quality from one iteration to the next that it's almost impossible to tell how good or bad the next one will be.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

AkumaHokoru posted:

Looking at Fire Emblem Warriors, I definitely want Pirate Warriors 4.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
I don't know why but I really like Katakuri doing that questioning-sideways-head-tilt in response to Luffy's initial attack on the first page. Sometimes prolonged death fights can be fun for both parties.
It's too bad it's getting overshadowed by the shadowed Katakuri panel though (which is totally awesome but not nearly as funny).

I always wondered what the response would be if Oda ever did a detailed version of his "They Dueled For Three Days and Four Nights Straight" type fight because although it always sounds really awesome in concept it would probably be hard to make a sensible storyline for the full sequence of events for the fights.
I imagine that this is attempt one so hopefully he can improve somewhat and address people's concerns because I doubt this is the last endless battle for Luffy and friends.

To state the obvious, we're essentially witnessing the "Pirate Luffy was the first man to make Sweet Commander Katakuri lay on his back after a 24 hour straight fight while also being the captain of the first Pirate Crew to ever successfully retrieve their crewmate from one of Big Mom's Tea Party and steal a copy of the Road Poneglyph after an endless onslaught of the entire Big Mom Pirate Crew including an insatiable starving murderous Big Mom herself in her own home territory" legend and it's going to have huge implications for the rest of the world inside the story.

I've enjoyed this ride far to long to not keep following it weekly but I do agree that it's probably going to read better as a whole.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I was reading the English scans and I think Katakuri's dialogue was translated wrong.

Here, Katakuri should be saying that he's going to take the attack from Luffy's new form, replying to Luffy preemptively through his future vision. Hence, his statement that he's already answered.

It's supposed to be a callback to the time where he prevented Luffy from going Gear 4 earlier in their fight, on the chapter his secret came out. Now that he acknowledges Luffy as a worthy opponent, he's going to take everything Luffy has to throw at him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also I cant wait for Oda's heavily Kabuki based japanese god-mech manga

I've been waiting for a reboot of Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon for ages.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Eiba posted:

Edit: You know what, yeah. That seems reasonable with how things have been going. I could totally see Katakuri and Luffy being friends after this. They're on different sides, but Katakuri isn't evil. Unless I've forgotten some puppy kicking he's actually a pretty okay guy, just doing his duty.

he killed his family/servants or whatever when they found out he had an eel mouth.

Eiba posted:

Katakuri (potentially) learning to discard dignity and his cloak of "coolness" and become a better person is a pretty interesting subplot for an arc's final boss fight! Earnest, open, and goofy vs. stoic, badass, and cool is thematically interesting, especially when you can slowly see the latter's eyes opening.

one of my favorite parts about luffy is he will from time to time show regret and pain and lash out because of it. most shounen protags dont go "ugh this sucks!!!" and power through it. hell most fight-y protags dont show that kind of humility or pain.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 17, 2018

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

my friends. . . . my friends. . . . . thoughts of them give me power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7OEuhOn4-4

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

yesssss

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I can't believe ManAtArms is still at it. I thought they stopped that ages ago.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they just released a video of a spear from black panther lol. since its a break week here is another anime sword they made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q598DP27tGA

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

IceBorg posted:

I know we had other covers where non-SH were in it like they were crewmembers (Law being the most recent one I think) but the fact that Carrot is in there twice makes me hopeful she's gonna join.

How long was the gap between Jinbe being on those coins and him actually joining?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Professor Wayne posted:

Do you think there will be a chapter in the future where Luffy eats donuts with his good friend Dogtooth?

It'll be the same bar Franky and Senor Pink go for that drink.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kegslayer posted:

How long was the gap between Jinbe being on those coins and him actually joining?

Has Jimbe officially joined? I thought they established that he wanted to at Fishman Island and that he would be the Helmsman a few chapters ago but he never actually joined the crew.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

He hasn't "officially" joined in that the arc isn't over, but he declared directly to big mom's face that he was leaving her to join Luffy's crew. He also said as much to his own crew, who said they were all cool with it.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Jinbei for all practical purposes is a member but it's not official until the end-of-arc celebration feast.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
In the bottom right corner panel below the snakeman reveal, Luffy is loving huge compared to Katakuri.

Might just be weird perspective.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real Cool Catfish posted:

In the bottom right corner panel below the snakeman reveal, Luffy is loving huge compared to Katakuri.

Might just be weird perspective.

on page 13 they're right next to each other and they're not the same size at all

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Use the hat on his back for reference. Snakeman Luffy is really huge.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pureauthor posted:

i think hes twice the height as normal luffy but that still makes him like half the size of katakuri lol

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Katakuri is almost 17 feet tall so Luffy would have to like, triple in size to be the same height as him.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Pureauthor posted:

Is snakeman visually that much different from gear 4?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Not really

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Man I gotta stop watching the anime, it's so frustrating. The latest episode totally spoiled Luffy and Brook's milk gag in the previews for next week...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Japan does not care about spoilers

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This chapter was a lot of fun and I liked it a lot. I think it will end before 900 though to be honest.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

wavy flame hair instead of spiky, big triangle strongman body shape instead of fitness orb. also looks a lot taller to me.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

black mamba doesn't make sense the way it's drawn. it's supposed to be like gatling gun with luffy throwing fists everywhere, but the python-mod doesn't retract at all. so he's doing all the arm motions as if he's throwing multiple fists but he isnt. lol luffy?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
if luffy wins im throwing a fit

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=231SThFKGsA

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
im not emotional im just the owner of the mizu-mizu fruit and i can only channel it out of my nose and eyes

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Wild Horses posted:

if luffy wins im throwing a fit

I wouldn't go as far as a fit, but it would feel pretty BS short of Katakuri having some sort of emotional breakdown due to his ongoing therapy session that has been fighting Luffy that paralyzes him long enough for Luffy to take advantage and score a critical hit (or ten). So, even if it was "unfair" way to beat him, it'd be plausible and acceptable.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
At this point Luffy has gotten the everloving poo poo beaten out of him for like... six hours? And he only started being able to fight back a little over the last half hour or so. (And also because Katakuri is now letting him power up where before he would have stopped any Gear activations ASAP)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

When was the last time Luffy's eaten anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
When Dogtooth buried him under a mountain of mochi, I think.