Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fishmech posted:

A&P's parent WAS A&P, and they'd basically been hosed since 2010 when they first went under chapter 11 protection due to leveraging so much to buy out Pathmark just before the great recession (which itself hadn't been doing well in the first place).

Of course, A&P had been slowly fading since the 1960s, going through repeating cycles of attempting to keep up with competition by building new stores and financinang that by closing many more of their older smaller stores, etc.

A&P will live on in college literature textbooks that contain John Updike's "A&P."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
And hardcore Philip Glass fans.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Magic Hate Ball posted:

And hardcore Philip Glass fans.

I must not be hardcore enough to know this reference.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Star Man posted:

I must not be hardcore enough to know this reference.

During the "All Men Are Equal" speech in the Trial sequence of Einstein on the Beach, the woman in the anecdote has a nephew so modest that he calls the A&P the "forbidden name store".

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Market Basket loving owns. The only problem is that you have to be ready to kill or be killed in there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Neon Noodle posted:

Market Basket loving owns. The only problem is that you have to be ready to kill or be killed in there.

This is every grocery store, it's a fuckin' warzone out there.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Another thing that is killing grocery stores are places like Walmart who use their supplier leverage to get super cheap food. Of course the quality is right there with it.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I had this notion a while ago that if grocery delivery really becomes the norm for rich people, we’ll go back to the days when you’d send your servants to the marketplace. Grocery stores will become overrun with stray chickens and fat women going TURNIPS FOR SALE, BUY MY TURNIPS

What I’m saying is I can’t wait

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Neon Noodle posted:

Uh yeah if you like pretending you're a racist old southern lady venturing out from her normal Piggly Wiggly stop. Market Basket is literally the shittiest grocery store in the country and just barely qualifies to be in the category. Kroger is what loving owns.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
My grocery store of choice is Meijers, and in my town it has a Kroger on one side of it and a super Walmart on the other, but somehow it's doing fine. Guess not being complete poo poo like Walmart and having prices just as good as Kroger without the stupid "loyalty" card along with a better selection helps.

OT for the thread: loyalty cards. Oooh yeah I really saved $3 on a gallon of milk and that totally wasn't a fake mark-up :jerkbag:. PROTIP: Kroger loyalty cards have the same barcode layout as Speedway cards.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

PT6A posted:

This is every grocery store, it's a fuckin' warzone out there.

I go to the Grocery Outlet on the first of the month for the true blood sport shopping of the desperation of the lower classes. :wotwot:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BlueBlazer posted:

I go to the Grocery Outlet on the first of the month for the true blood sport shopping of the desperation of the lower classes. :wotwot:

The safeway here does 15% off everything the first Tuesday of every month.

It's better that you should die of starvation than go to the supermarket on that day.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

i am harry posted:

Kroger is what loving owns.
Kroger is a completely generic grocery store that only stands out because it's been buying up a lot of other grocery chains. Every one I've been in is about the same as a Jewel-Osco/Pick N' Save/Piggly Wiggly/every other generic mid-sized grocery store I've been to. I don't get the fascination with them.

Now Woodman's is what really owns. Huge selection(as in '2-3 times the size of a normal grocery store' huge), cheap, open 24/7. Too bad you'll only find them in Wisconsin and Illinois. :v:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Winco owns

Though I do go to Albertsons for a few things

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I was looking up grocery chains and now the word "food" looks like a nonsensical Dr Seuss term.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I was looking up grocery chains and now the word "food" looks like a nonsensical Dr Seuss term.

Listen, it's simple:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I would shop the hell out of Obelisk Market.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Listen, it's simple:

where's wegmans

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
We don't have Kroger in Maryland, I call bullshit on that map

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Yup, and they’re employee-owned, too!

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Haifisch posted:

Kroger is a completely generic grocery store that only stands out because it's been buying up a lot of other grocery chains. Every one I've been in is about the same as a Jewel-Osco/Pick N' Save/Piggly Wiggly/every other generic mid-sized grocery store I've been to. I don't get the fascination with them.

Now Woodman's is what really owns. Huge selection(as in '2-3 times the size of a normal grocery store' huge), cheap, open 24/7. Too bad you'll only find them in Wisconsin and Illinois. :v:

Actual Krogers are different and not run by the Milwaukee office like the WI and IL stores. Woodmans was the best when I was in school since they can't be beat on price for packaged foods and the absurd booze department. But now that I care about not sifting through rotten produce and the quality of meat, it sucks there.

Combine the Festival experience and deli with Woodmans and you have the perfect store though.

I used to run loyalty analytics for a grocery chain. Besides the main purpose of consumer tracking, it's really fun doing product affinities and basing offers off it. Or determining coupon segments, ie your occasional dairy consumers get best offer, your best get lovely since they buy anyway, and a/b testing your non buyers.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Kroger isn't a bad store. They have a good selection, reasonable prices, and... they treat their employees like garbage, even by retail standards. If you care about that sort of thing, shop literally anywhere else. Their union also kinda sucks.

Walmart neighborhood groceries are good little stores for getting in and getting out. Don't look for help, you won't find it, and the waits are often long, but the selection is good and the prices are reasonable.

Food Lion's in the same bracket as Kroger, and they're in the middle of a massive amount of changes. My main beef with them is that not only do they have loyalty card bullshit, but they also have an app, and they have a kiosk you have to visit for additional savings. If you aren't using all of these things, but you're shopping there regularly, you're leaving a decent amount of money on the table.

Wegman's is slowly expanding in my direction and I am looking forward to checking them out because everyone seems to love them.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

exploded mummy posted:

where's wegmans

Yeah, I pity all you poor saps that don't have a Wegmans nearby.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My dad loves wegmans so much that after he retired he got a job in the meat department.

He lasted like a year. He was a federal agent for 25 years and he couldn’t hack it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Winco owns

Though I do go to Albertsons for a few things

I was about to make this exact post!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Used to shop at Winco when we lived right next to one. Now we have an Albertsons and a Gelson’s next to the house. Gelson’s is a sort of quasi-lux grocer and I only really go there for prepared foods, some meats, and wine, everything else I hit Albertsons.

My wife goes to Whole Foods because she loves some of their prepared foods and apparently that’s reason enough to spend an extra 30% on everything else.

We have 4 kids so our grocery expenses are pretty substantial.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

eyebeem posted:

My wife goes to Whole Foods because she loves some of their prepared foods and apparently that’s reason enough to spend an extra 30% on everything else.
Could be a ymmv thing, but here in the Bay Area, Whole Foods is pretty much the same price as Safeway. This is not meant to say that it's cheap, but Safeway is usually the only game in town and super expensive af for shittier quality at nearly same price as WF items, so I might as well shop at the latter and at least they have most checkouts manned instead of race-to-the-bottom employment approach of Safeway. The only difference is Safeway tends to run some slightly more coupon/promo price in which case yeah they are slightly cheaper but you can't rely on that all the time.

I loathe Safeway

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Xaris posted:

Could be a ymmv thing, but here in the Bay Area, Whole Foods is pretty much the same price as Safeway.

Haha christ that really says a lot about the state of the Bay Area.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

exploded mummy posted:

where's wegmans

My dude

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I have 5 Wegmans in my general area. All 5 of them are almost exactly an hour drive away in different directions.

I love you Wegmans, why do you taunt me? :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

During the "All Men Are Equal" speech in the Trial sequence of Einstein on the Beach, the woman in the anecdote has a nephew so modest that he calls the A&P the "forbidden name store".

Never thought I'd encounter an Einstein on the Beach reference in the wild.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My preference for Safeway developed from being able to walk to one in five minutes because it was only a block away from where I grew up.

Other than that, I don't think that I've ever been to a grocery store and been so disgusted that I wish I went somewhere else.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Star Man posted:

My preference for Safeway developed from being able to walk to one in five minutes because it was only a block away from where I grew up.

Other than that, I don't think that I've ever been to a grocery store and been so disgusted that I wish I went somewhere else.

I lived next to a Safeway that I had that response to. In fact I spent two years driving half a mile to a Giant instead of walking literally across the street to that terrible Safeway until they razed it to the ground.

edit: Of course both that Giant and the new Safeway that replaced the old one are terrible compared to the stores I've gone to all my life. The DC Safeways also have the same pricing situation as described in the Bay Area. If the Whole Foods were at all convenient for me I'd go to them because they are the same price as the Safeway but with infinitely better produce/seafood/cheese.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 19, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I go to Vons (CA Safeway) out of preference mostly because I used to work there when I was in HS. Sometimes the Kroger because it's a bigger and nicer prematurely airconditioned supermarket if I need something a little less common.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 19, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

skooma512 posted:

prematurely airconditioned supermarket

HEY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neon Noodle posted:

I had this notion a while ago that if grocery delivery really becomes the norm for rich people, we’ll go back to the days when you’d send your servants to the marketplace. Grocery stores will become overrun with stray chickens and fat women going TURNIPS FOR SALE, BUY MY TURNIPS

What I’m saying is I can’t wait

They're called personal shoppers.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Safeway used to(and I’m talking like 25-30 years ago) be the slightly high-end grocery and Lucky was the cheap-but-lovely supermarket in the Bay Area. Alpha Beta sucked but they were the only one open 24 hours.

Now Safeway prices are obscene compared to WinCo and their service is execrable. Every one of them is severely understaffed and their selection of food is terrible because their store is filled with non-grocery poo poo, like multiple aisles of wine, snake-oil supplements, florist, huge coffee shop and eat-in deli.

But in many areas Safeway is all that’s around, so you’re stuck with them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Xaris posted:

Could be a ymmv thing, but here in the Bay Area, Whole Foods is pretty much the same price as Safeway.

The Whole Foods on 4th and Harrison is in no way comparable price-wise to the Safeway on 4th and King. Like, at all.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Haifisch posted:

Kroger is a completely generic grocery store that only stands out because it's been buying up a lot of other grocery chains.
Kroger stands out with the uncanny ability to never have what I want.

fishmech posted:

Yeah it really shows how JC Penney's recent executive direction was stupid as hell.
I just remember hearing Bill Ackman talking about going everyday low price and immediately thinking "how the gently caress are they gonna do that with the indoor mall rent overhead?"

The only store I've ever seen make it work at a mall anchor is Burlington.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Kroger isn't a bad store. They have a good selection, reasonable prices, and... they treat their employees like garbage, even by retail standards. If you care about that sort of thing, shop literally anywhere else. Their union also kinda sucks.

I've found that Kroger's selection and customer service depends way too much on where they're located. At least Publix makes an effort to have a uniformly good experience no matter which one you shop at.

Goddamn, I miss Bruno's.