Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Dannywilson posted:

The SV650S has a bit of fairing, but the base SV650 is naked as a jaybird.

Edit, I'm a previous SV650 owner, nthing the fact that they are awesome across-town bikes, but miserable at anything approaching highway speeds.

The first - gen S isn't all that much better. I get buffeted pretty well at 70+. Still a very good bike, though I put handlebars on mine to improve posture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
BEANIE AND CAP ORDER UPDATE!! I have recieved several pre orders, and have just recieved word the entire shipment will be mailed to me on Tuesday. That puts beanies and hats in my hand by the end of this week. A few days later than expected, but he lumped two runs into one package, and I will be getting them out to people either Friday or the coming monday. Cant wait!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Dannywilson posted:

The SV650S has a bit of fairing, but the base SV650 is naked as a jaybird.

Edit, I'm a previous SV650 owner, nthing the fact that they are awesome across-town bikes, but miserable at anything approaching highway speeds.

I did a ride to Vienna and back on my SVS, and between Münster and Würzburg I don't think I dipped below 115mph except when stopping for gas. It's fine.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

I actually prefer a hunched riding position over an upright position, if my time setting up my road bikes is any indication on comfort levels. I miss my drop bars from my old Schwinn SuperSport.

AND YES, THE MSF IS STILL GOING TO HAPPEN

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I did a ride to Vienna and back on my SVS, and between Münster and Würzburg I don't think I dipped below 115mph except when stopping for gas. It's fine.

Dave is like 6'4" or something decently tall. A road bicycle at 25 mph and a sport bike at 75+ mph are completely different worlds. As you're not pedaling you're also not extending your legs - you have them pulled up for clearance - and thusly your knees are going to be hitting your elbows. The wind buffeting at highway speeds without a decent fairing is going to either hit you in the chest and be quickly fatiguing, or otherwise encourage you to lay down on the tank of the bike in a way I assure you is not comfortable for long stretches. Also consider that if you're livin' the explorer's life, you're going to want panniers, and that's usually easier to put on stuff that's less extreme.

I don't think a 600 or a naked bike is going to be much fun for someone as big and tall as you, and on the other side of the coin echoing others in here your first bike should probably be something far less high strung IMO.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well i just launched a kid into low earth orbit on the spinning playground wheel of death

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Dont worry Tremek it wasnt one of yours it was a rental

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Well i just launched a kid into low earth orbit on the spinning playground wheel of death
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I've heard BMWs are good for tall people, but they also cost a lot and look kinda ugly.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

nm posted:

I've heard BMWs are good for tall people, but they also cost a lot and look kinda ugly.

Can confirm, I am 6’6”, any *GS adventure models sit nice and high with plenty of legroom. They also have huge factory cases, good wind protection, factory crash bars and they aren’t slow either.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

BEANIE AND CAP ORDER UPDATE!! I have recieved several pre orders, and have just recieved word the entire shipment will be mailed to me on Tuesday. That puts beanies and hats in my hand by the end of this week. A few days later than expected, but he lumped two runs into one package, and I will be getting them out to people either Friday or the coming monday. Cant wait!

Awesome. I replied here earlier and sent you a PM to put me down for a WITNESS one...am I included in this round? Where does the PayPal go?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting a total of 30 items this time around, about 20 beanies and 10 ball caps IIRC with pretty much half of each being WITNESS or BLACK THUMBS. Beanies are $20 shipped, USA, ball caps are $25 shipped. A few people have messaged me about international shipping, and I am happy to work with you guys on an individual basis. Paypal for anyone would be tyranid05@hotmail.com, and please include quantity, style, and slogan plus mailing address in your paypal notes. If any particular style runs out, I will be placing further orders and all thats gonna take is extra time.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Ha, I knew I was forgetting something! Paypal sent.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've not had too much trouble with wind on my 2010 Bonneville, even on day-long and multiday trips. It came with a little Dart flyscreen which may be doing more than I realize, but otherwise that's it. I did have a 30 minute stretch on I-5 in California where the crosswind was so severe I had to put a pretty serious pitch on the bike, but otherwise it's not the wind that gets me, it's just tired legs and rear end. I tend to go around 80-85 on the freeway, though, which may be slower than some of you are used to (gently caress speeding tickets).

The bike came with a steel luggage rack mounted behind the seat and that's been fantastic for motorcycle camping, plus it keeps my saddlebags a little further out from the side of the bike. Highly recommended if you get a bike that's suitable for one.

There was also a Corbin seat on when I bought it, but I swapped back to the stock seat because I'm vain and think the stock seat looks better. The Corbin is a lot more comfortable, though, and now that I'm the ripe old age of 30 I'm considering putting it back.

Sweet Christ, I just realized I bought that bike over 6 years ago.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:black101:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Floof

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Dave, AI's favorite resident crazy cat lady.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

rndmnmbr posted:

Dave, AI's favorite resident crazy cat lady.

I have a confession

I want to pet all the cats

All of them

All of the cats

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I want to pet most cats, but I especially want to pet that particular cat, quite a bit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I only have four cats right now (we've had as many as seven) but I happen to know where we can get thirty or so more cats. I am also infected with needing to pet all the cats. And I have cat whispering skills, I am known to succeed at petting supposedly unpettable cats.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I've never been in a house that accommodated more than 2 cats that wasn't loving disgusting tbh. I have one cat and two small inside dogs on the other hand, and other than the occasional night time accident, it's not very gross at all.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

I've never been in a house that accommodated more than 2 cats that wasn't loving disgusting tbh. I have one cat and two small inside dogs on the other hand, and other than the occasional night time accident, it's not very gross at all.

Pet owners never think their own house smells.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I am also infected with needing to pet all the cats.

Treat those toxoplasma gondii well! :)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I pet cats and I have the scars to prove it. So Floofy.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

You may think that a cat rolling onto it's back is inviting a belly rub, as a dog may do

this is a lie. this is a trap. do not spring the trap

(unless it was my old siamese who loving loved belly rubs he would fall asleep drooling from belly rubs he was the best)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Not true! I'm a pet owner and I know it smells!

I also have kids so I quite plausibly blame them!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If you wear glasses, just dive right in and stick your face in the floof. They'll partially protect you, and it'll be worth it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

MA-Horus posted:

You may think that a cat rolling onto it's back is inviting a belly rub, as a dog may do

(unless it was my old siamese who loving loved belly rubs he would fall asleep drooling from belly rubs he was the best)

Two of my cats will lie on their back and demand belly rubs. It is not a trap with them. Unless you count the forlorn expression they give when you stop, trapping you in your guilt.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

shortspecialbus posted:

Two of my cats will lie on their back and demand belly rubs. It is not a trap with them. Unless you count the forlorn expression they give when you stop, trapping you in your guilt.

Ditto. It was originally just one cat, but the other learned. So pettable!

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
Kitty belly rubs are all fun and games until he decides he wants a happy ending. Cue many cat boners and then he get fiesty.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Echotic posted:

Kitty belly rubs are all fun and games until he decides he wants a happy ending. Cue many cat boners and then he get fiesty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZytpnElPI_E

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

MA-Horus posted:

It's funny, I only have one cat in my circle of friends who doesn't like belly rubs.

It may also be funny that I'm talking about cats in my circle of friends...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Um, my house smells like a tom cat has been pissing in the litterbox in my basement. Another week until he gets the snip and maybe my house will stink a little less.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:swoon:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Intact male cats have extra pungent piss. Get your male cat neutered and not only will his piss not stink like hell, he'll stop feeling compelled to mark territory everywhere.

My house does not stink because I use clumping litter with baking soda, we scoop daily, and all my cats are fixed. Also I have no carpet. And we have forced air heating/cooling which helps to cycle air, and we open windows any time it's decent weather (which is a lot, here in california).

The big things though are to fix your cats, use the right litter, scoop every day, and put the cat boxes somewhere not in the middle of your living space.

e. I've come home after being gone for two weeks, and the house doesn't smell. I've had people over who think they're allergic to cats and they're surprised to learn I even have cats until they see one. I had a buddy who is brutally honest with me tell me how surprised he is that he can't smell cat.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

shortspecialbus posted:

Mine will end you if you try to pet his belly when he's on his back. On his side though, he digs it. And he cuddles up with me every time I lay down and demands to be the little spoon (with belly rub included). If I dare stop the belly rub, he starts pawing at my hand until I start again. Until he's tired of it anyway.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

The Costco litter in the purple 40# bags is the best.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is Archie, my mother-in-law's cat who passed away last March. He was the chillest, cuddliest, most relaxed cat I've ever met. He gave both my daughters completely the wrong idea of how you're supposed to interact with cats because when they were little, they could crawl into his bed with him, or pick him up and carry him around the house under his armpits, and he would just purr the whole time.

Apologies for the vertical filming, I have only myself to blame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpWvD9_1ai8

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

This is Sam. He has a cow butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Panaflex posted:

The Costco litter in the purple 40# bags is the best.

That's the stuff! 42 pounds for about $12.

• Locked thread