Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

shovelbum posted:

Deuterium water will kill you if you try to live off it

That's what Big Water wants you to think. But deuterium is actually capable of making you healthier, it improves reflexes and metabolic rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Funny you should mention the positive side effects of deuteriorated water, I'm actually selling a bunch of deuterium water filters, you can find them on SAMART for just five slips of gold-pressed latinum per piece

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Wouldn't you just beam all the dirt off you.
That might clean you, but not refresh you.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

shovelbum posted:

Deuterium water will kill you if you try to live off it

How long would it take to mess up your pH though?

Besides with power they could get hydrogen off virtually any organic chemical.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
can replicate water but need to goto the coffee nebula when they run out of folgers? hmm

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Smythe posted:

can replicate water but need to goto the coffee nebula when they run out of folgers? hmm

You know Janeway has a stash of Maxwell House or Gloria Jean's tins somewhere in her quarters.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.space.com/39672-fake-star-trek-science-paper-published.html
It's based on Threshold!

The paper is no longer online:
https://www.arjonline.org/papers/arjb/v3-i1/6.pdf

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

MikeJF posted:

Replicators don't actually make things from energy, they make things from matter banks of stored molecules or, in a pinch, atoms.

They're, at best, inconsistent on this point. The Federation can definitely do energy-matter conversion. So the way I reconcile it is, DS9 has waste reclamation because it only has a fusion reactor. Straight matter-energy conversion is simply too power intensive if you don't have a full-on warp core.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cingulate posted:

That might clean you, but not refresh you.

Use the O'Brien prison simulator except program it to give you the 2-hour bubble bath experience in a microsecond

E: whoops it malfunctioned you just experienced being locked in the bathroom for 30 years

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Roadie posted:

Well, when they're shown in TMP and VOY

Oh they actually show them? I always thought it was an offscreen only thing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

VitalSigns posted:

Use the O'Brien prison simulator except program it to give you the 2-hour bubble bath experience in a microsecond

E: whoops it malfunctioned you just experienced being locked in the bathroom for 30 years

Longer bath than you think, daddy! Longer bath than you think!! :gowron:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WampaLord posted:

Oh they actually show them? I always thought it was an offscreen only thing.

I forget what was ever shown on television, but Ilia'ger is briefly seen in a sonic shower and comes out wearing her skimpy-rear end robe.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Timby posted:

I forget what was ever shown on television, but Ilia'ger is briefly seen in a sonic shower and comes out wearing her skimpy-rear end robe.

What I remember from the novelization (and I think the crappy computer voice from the theatrical release supports this) is that the Ilia probe arrived inside the sonic shower glowing white hot, using the shower to rapidly cool.

I'm also pretty sure the Ilia-probe had water droplets on it when they first opened the shower door.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Timby posted:

The only bathing things I remember were Riker giving the Irish lady that footwash and Neelix's bath in the Voyager pilot episode.

:shudder:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Longer bath than you think, daddy! Longer bath than you think!! :gowron:

He holds up impossibly wrinkled fingertips as the attendants wheel him away, cackling.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We've seen motion activated sinks in TNG a few times, too.

No sonic handwashing or splashing soundwaves on your face to wakeup

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Q_res posted:

They're, at best, inconsistent on this point. The Federation can definitely do energy-matter conversion. So the way I reconcile it is, DS9 has waste reclamation because it only has a fusion reactor. Straight matter-energy conversion is simply too power intensive if you don't have a full-on warp core.
What I remember from the TNG tech guide is that replicators produce food by 'beaming' a chunk of something out of a storage tank. The 'something' is some kind of carbon slurry that is statistically most efficient for being turned into other things. It is certainly treated poop. Water is recycled but is basically recognizable as 'water treatment and plumbing as we know it.'

They don't directly create matter from energy. I assume they could get all the water they reasonably need from a random cometary body.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

replicators produce food by 'beaming' a chunk

They don't directly create matter from energy.

If they're beaming... at some point they are indeed creating matter from energy. They're just starting out with other matter before turning it into energy and back to other matter, which seems kind of silly... unless, as you say, it's poop.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Nessus posted:

I assume they could get all the water they reasonably need from a random cometary body.

I very misunderstood this as "comatose body" and imagined some horrific nightmare of endless comatose people being drained of their fluids to sustain the rest of the crew.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Star Trek: Beaming your poop and eating it too

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Star Trek: Beaming your poop and eating it too
Eating regular food is eating poop too, the process is just far more spread out

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Most ships are mentioned to have a hydroponics bay, so I imagine some food is still grown even on starships.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I very misunderstood this as "comatose body" and imagined some horrific nightmare of endless comatose people being drained of their fluids to sustain the rest of the crew.

IIRC this is episode 2 of Ent

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

Most ships are mentioned to have a hydroponics bay, so I imagine some food is still grown even on starships.

Do they have any baleen whales in cetacean ops, or is it just dolphins and other toothy friends?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The Bloop posted:

IIRC this is episode 2 of Ent

Dead Stop was a good episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Stop was a good episode.

I can hear cheerful Doc Phlox saying "rooms full of corpses" to Hoshi in my head right now

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Do they have any baleen whales in cetacean ops, or is it just dolphins and other toothy friends?
I think it was all dolphins and orcas, at least on the Ent-D.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
You’d think considering how often power goes out or the computer malfunctions they’d have an easier and more accessible way to open and close the drat doors. And doors don’t seem to be hooked up to life support system. They’re in some secondary system, potentially meaning folks can be trapped inside random rooms unable to easily get where they need to be to perform repairs. I don’t think they ever addressed this, did they?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Delthalaz posted:

You’d think considering how often power goes out or the computer malfunctions they’d have an easier and more accessible way to open and close the drat doors. And doors don’t seem to be hooked up to life support system. They’re in some secondary system, potentially meaning folks can be trapped inside random rooms unable to easily get where they need to be to perform repairs. I don’t think they ever addressed this, did they?

Pretty sure if the power goes out, you can just manually open the doors with your hands, I don't think there's any physical lock keeping them shut, the locks need power to work.

Haven't we see someone force open a door this way or am I thinking of another sci fi show that did this?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

WampaLord posted:

Pretty sure if the power goes out, you can just manually open the doors with your hands, I don't think there's any physical lock keeping them shut, the locks need power to work.

Yeah but it isn’t easy. You see people using a ton of muscle strength to open the doors.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Don't they eventually get magnetic handle things they can use to open doors?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WampaLord posted:

Haven't we see someone force open a door this way or am I thinking of another sci fi show that did this?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nessus posted:

I think it was all dolphins and orcas, at least on the Ent-D.

They're actually humpback whales, direct progeny of those rescued in Voyage Home; communication with the Probe unlocked powerful mental potential within the creatures, elevating them to near the level of their mysterious spacefaring cousins. This makes them able navigators.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
TNG Genesis had Picard and Data manually opening doors. I could swear I remember seeing some beep-boop device they used on the doors before opening them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

TNG Genesis had Picard and Data manually opening doors. I could swear I remember seeing some beep-boop device they used on the doors before opening them.

Picard and Data also try using an access handle to open a locked door when they were spelunking in the E's Borg catacombs.

It snaps off.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

In Starship Mine Picard had a little hand-held thingy that popped the powerless door locks

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

The Bloop posted:

I'm so sad we never got to see this ocean mammals are cool as poo poo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eylm8PdfBBQ

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You guys are always forgetting Cetacean Ops, what do you think they've got to breathe, flourine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Liquid oxygen.