Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Cingulate posted:

What episode is EMH slavery from?

I‘m gonna watch it.

"Author, Author" I believe, in Voyager's seventh season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I sure hope no one takes endless screenshots of Shatner and Nimoy dressed as Nazis and uses them out of context

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The episode guide for Enterprise Season 2 is to skip to Season 4 Episode 2

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

VitalSigns posted:

I might need a watch guide for Enterprise S2

Season 2 is rough. Of the episodes in front of you, Cease Fire, Judgement, and First Flight are mostly good. I remember people really liking Cogenitor when it aired but I don't know how well it holds up now. Future Tense has a couple fun TOS callbacks but it's still a time war episode and those are never great.

Looks like the episode immediately following Vanishing Point is Precious Cargo, which is often regarded as the worst episode of the series, but maybe just in the laughably bad sense, a la Voyager's Threshold, and not legit offensively bad, like Retrospect or Tattoo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Who enjoys being a waiter or a busboy? For no pay?

You go there, you eat, you clean your own loving table or you get blacklisted because this is the future and it's understood that you can't just use money to get other people to do the nasty bits of your life anymore.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just put ent on in the background until you see an andorian then pay attention

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MikeJF posted:

You go there, you eat, you clean your own loving table or you get blacklisted because this is the future and it's understood that you can't just use money to get other people to do the nasty bits of your life anymore.

Now this is an answer I can get behind!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

marktheando posted:

I went back to watch the scene, so convinced I was right, and it was indeed clams and not potatoes he was washing. Don’t know where I got that idea from.

It was actually a small pastry

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

VitalSigns posted:

I might need a watch guide for Enterprise S2

Save yourself.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The problem is we exist under capitalism, the totalizing global organizing system that subsumes all facets of human behavior to the logic of the market. Hegemonic capitalism produces the ways we see the world and even the very ways we experience ourselves in the world, not to mention understandings of “human nature”. Star Trek Federation people explicitly existing outside of capitalism, so have fundamentally different motivations and experience their lives in totally different ways than we do.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Delthalaz posted:

The problem is we exist under capitalism, the totalizing global organizing system that subsumes all facets of human behavior to the logic of the market. Hegemonic capitalism produces the ways we see the world and even the very ways we experience ourselves in the world, not to mention understandings of “human nature”. Star Trek Federation people explicitly existing outside of capitalism, so have fundamentally different motivations and experience their lives in totally different ways than we do.

The problem is that Gene Roddenberry got weird when he got old and made all these proclamations that the TNG writing staff then had to work around.

"Nobody eats meat anymore, because they realize meat is murder."
"There's no more money, and nobody acts out of greed. All they care about is self actualization."
"Religion is gone, entirely. Everybody realizes it's just a superstition."
"Nobody grieves when somebody they love dies anymore. They realize death is just a part of life."
"Nobody in the Federation ever disagrees. They all have the same values and realize arguing with each other is wrong."
"People aren't sexually repressed anymore."
"There's no more bigotry or discrimination ever."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I prefer it to the alternative presented in more recent treks i.e. "Nothing can progress beyond 2003, since that was the most moral possible time when we made Hard Decisions and had No Illusions."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Even though Sisko's cooking real food, they might still use a replicator system for plates and silverware. Probably they beam it right off the table.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I prefer it to the alternative presented in more recent treks i.e. "Nothing can progress beyond 2003, since that was the most moral possible time when we made Hard Decisions and had No Illusions."
Enterprise season 3 maybe. Did you watch past episode 3 of Discovery? The whole point was that people can be poo poo, but we can and should rise above that.

I do like TNG era just assuming those values and imagining a world where they're a given, but Discovery is very much about fighting to uphold those values, rather than making GBS threads on them like Enterprise did during the Xindi war arc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Delthalaz posted:

I think part of the appeal is actually the suggestion that they're not some kind of zombed-out Stalin drones or (outside of those moments in early TNG) floating clouds of ethereal equanimity, they're recognizably human with human motivations, lives, families, habits, histories, all that good poo poo.

But they don't have to work 9 to 5 (only now it's 8 to 5, isn't it?) at a job they hate just to survive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Epicurius posted:

The problem is that Gene Roddenberry got weird when he got old and made all these proclamations that the TNG writing staff then had to work around.

"Nobody eats meat anymore, because they realize meat is murder."
"There's no more money, and nobody acts out of greed. All they care about is self actualization."
"Religion is gone, entirely. Everybody realizes it's just a superstition."
"Nobody grieves when somebody they love dies anymore. They realize death is just a part of life."
"Nobody in the Federation ever disagrees. They all have the same values and realize arguing with each other is wrong."
"People aren't sexually repressed anymore."
"There's no more bigotry or discrimination ever."

The idea of a post-scarcity society and a sci-fi that explores it is fine, the writers were often just too stuck in their 20th century capitalist models to work. See: Dilithium miners. They didn't commit.

And they also didn't depict the necessary levels of automation. Riker implies it perfectly fine when he says the ship cleans itself, but then they ignore that poo poo whenever they want.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Speaking of cleaning, I wonder what a sonic shower feels like. What's the advantage of a sonic shower over a regular shower? I can't imagine it feels as good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pakled posted:

Speaking of cleaning, I wonder what a sonic shower feels like. What's the advantage of a sonic shower over a regular shower? I can't imagine it feels as good.

You cum every time. It's non-stop. You could say it's waves and waves of cum exploding out of you.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

To me, the implication was that it pulses sound waves through the water, massaging you and/or cleaning you more efficiently.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

WampaLord posted:

To me, the implication was that it pulses sound waves through the water, massaging you and/or cleaning you more efficiently.

No, the idea is that it uses soundwaves in lieu of water.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
sonic shower always seemed rly unfulfilling. every living mammal likes a long hot shower.........

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

Even though Sisko's cooking real food, they might still use a replicator system for plates and silverware. Probably they beam it right off the table.

i always kinna thot that beaming & poo poo was prob not as common on the ground kuz it costs a lot of power and gear idk. its diff when ur on the drat enterprise, the flagship * Big Daddy of the entire federation

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Q_res posted:

No, the idea is that it uses soundwaves in lieu of water.

Well, when they're shown in TMP and VOY sonic showers are (explicitly) just sort of a magical dirt vaporization thing, but they also seem relaxing, so presumably there's some sort of massage effect.

In TNG, though, there's that mention of somebody reprogramming a sonic shower to dump mud on Wesley, which would imply it's both sonic and shower rather than sonic instead of shower.

The most coherent overall answer would probably be that the fancy ones have a huge range of settings (water, spa treatments, sonic stuff, whatever), but the simple ones are purely sonic to cut down on the structural logistics.

Smythe posted:

i always kinna thot that beaming & poo poo was prob not as common on the ground kuz it costs a lot of power and gear idk. its diff when ur on the drat enterprise, the flagship * Big Daddy of the entire federation

Starfleet cadets have transporter credits that are relatively limited (beam back and forth every day and you'll use up a month's worth in a week), but that may just be meant as a gentle way to introduce people to the more isolated communities like starships have, rather than actually being a limited resource.

Beachcomber posted:

Maybe it's like one of those sushi train restaurants, except the train has little robot arms that clean up tables and move plates around.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 18, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Roadie posted:

In TNG, though, there's that mention of somebody reprogramming a sonic shower to dump mud on Wesley, which would imply it's both sonic and shower rather than sonic instead of shower.
writers are lazy and assume things are just basically the same as present day with a space word on the front.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That wasn’t mud they dumped on Wesley.

It was Diarrhea

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is there a term for a space between "everything, or essentially everything, is too cheap to meter" and "there's plenty for everyone but perhaps not enough for everyone to have a SHITLOAD"?

Since people use post-scarcity for both interchangeably.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Post-resource crisis era maybe? We're not worried about running out of poo poo but that doesn't mean things don't have value.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

Is there a term for a space between "everything, or essentially everything, is too cheap to meter" and "there's plenty for everyone but perhaps not enough for everyone to have a SHITLOAD"?
Social Democracy :smuggo:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

B5 made the distinction that sonic showers were lame but high rank officers got real showers, since they didn't have infinite resources. When you can replicate water I don't know why you'd bother.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

The Nordic Model

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Grand Fromage posted:

B5 made the distinction that sonic showers were lame but high rank officers got real showers, since they didn't have infinite resources. When you can replicate water I don't know why you'd bother.

Yeah, I think SF authors originally came up with sonic showers as a way to clean yourself in space when you have limited water to spare and/or you need to clean yourself in microgravity.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just imagine a sonic shower would finally get that poo poo out from behind my eyeballs

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think even in the 24th and a half century water preservation would be pretty important on a starship.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think even in the 24th and a half century water preservation would be pretty important on a starship.

Just ask the Kazon!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Not when you can make as much as you want. Even current space water recycling tech is quite efficient, add in the ability to literally create it from energy and there's no situation where you could run out. If you don't have power you have much bigger issues that are going to kill you before you die of thirst.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Best picture I could find:

and according to Memory Alpha, it's clams:

I suspect the script said clams, and when they filmed it they decided to go with something that could actually be seen on TV (and was much cheaper)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Not when you can make as much as you want. Even current space water recycling tech is quite efficient, add in the ability to literally create it from energy and there's no situation where you could run out. If you don't have power you have much bigger issues that are going to kill you before you die of thirst.

Replicators don't actually make things from energy, they make things from matter banks of stored molecules or, in a pinch, atoms.

That said, the ship is a closed system and all the waste will presumably make its way to the dereplicator system eventually, so :shrug:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 18, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Their fuel tank is a big honking slush of deuterium and they've got to have a bunch of emergency breathing gas squirreled away. If they can produce an inverse tachyon wedgie I'm pretty sure they can figure out how to make water out of those in a pinch.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wouldn't you just beam all the dirt off you.

Also run yourself through the transporter every year to de-age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Their fuel tank is a big honking slush of deuterium and they've got to have a bunch of emergency breathing gas squirreled away. If they can produce an inverse tachyon wedgie I'm pretty sure they can figure out how to make water out of those in a pinch.

Deuterium water will kill you if you try to live off it