Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Don't they eventually get magnetic handle things they can use to open doors?

I think I remember in Voyager the had handles that they used to 'pump' the doors open when the power went out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Yeah I don’t know if we ever see where those emergency or magnet handles are stored. Regardless it sounds like a fire hazard. Ans I don’t think the Enterprise’s children are going to figure that poo poo out and get to an escape pod.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe the pumps are only needed for secure doors.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I mean, in a proper evacuation they would open all doors (after testing for pressure differential) and there would be handy little lights indicating the evac routes and all of this would be on an independent backup system but guys I have something I've been meaning to tell you:

Star Trek is just a TV show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I’m so close to liking this, but it needs a few tweaks. Maybe slightly shorter nacelles and a wider dish?

Kinda want to see JJ versions of the other ships.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zurui posted:

Star Trek is just a TV show.

The gently caress you say

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The larger question is what JJverse ships would look like 75+ years past the events of those films.

For some reason I'm envisioning a lot of triangles

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m so close to liking this, but it needs a few tweaks. Maybe slightly shorter nacelles and a wider dish?

Kinda want to see JJ versions of the other ships.

The nacelles are really the only JJ thing about it. Change them out and it's straight TOS.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cross-Section posted:

The larger question is what JJverse ships would look like 75+ years past the events of those films.

Scryer class

Phantom class

Ajax class

Eclipse class

(To be fair, this one is meant to be a 25th century update of the ENT-era Andorian ships)

Aquarius class

Jupiter class

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 19, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Every single one of those is hideous.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I love their reactions to 20th century Earth because it really does beat in that most other planets have a handful of people living in tiny villages.

You thought that the confined "city" sets they would visit in TOS were a production limitation? Nope, every other planet just involves small groups of people wandering around on foot and they can't deal when they visit an actual city.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

Every single one of those is hideous.

That would be the point, yes. The super pointy one at least is meant to be an Andorian ship, drawing from the design of their ships in ENT.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The last one looks like an in-between frame for going to warp!

Why is it so looooong? It has four nacelles, is it a space dragster?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I’m glad they’re so aerodynamic for all the space air

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Bloop posted:

The last one looks like an in-between frame for going to warp!

Why is it so looooong? It has four nacelles, is it a space dragster?

It's a carrier. And that's the significantly better looking version of the Jupiter class. Here's what was in the game originally:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cross-Section posted:

We'll have to wait another 10 years or so for the JJ TNG movies if we want to follow the same arc as the originals. Then it'll be whatever looks futuristic to us in the late 2020s.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

It's a carrier.

Yeah, that one's the biggest contemporary Fed ship in the game and is meant to be a giant whale.

Jupiter v1 was hilarious.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Whenever I see those STO pics pop up in the thread, I get super nostalgic for my teenage days spent messing around with Bridge Commander mods:

Also Jupiter v1, if anything, feels more appropriate to the Trek aesthetic given that it looks like a goddang cruise ship

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cross-Section posted:

Also Jupiter v1, if anything, feels more appropriate to the Trek aesthetic given that it looks like a goddang cruise ship

I went back and labeled those ships in my post. I actually kind of like the Ajax, I think it looks like a reasonable evolution of the Defiant, and if it weren't for the speed hole I could believe the Scryer as an evolution of the Miranda. The Eclipse and Aquarius, though, are just plain weird.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Ajax looks kinda like a Dominion ship, all Fed'd up.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The oberth is all speed hole

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Eclipse, Scryer and Phantom are experimental intelligence division stealth ships. They're better in their Starfleet hulls but still dumb.

Fortunately, the game never went back to that look.

The Ajax is one of three Fed 'pilot' ship variants, which are basically Defiants with an emphasis on maneuvers. I really like them as that, especially since you can mix-n-match parts and hull colours and stuff to make your preferred look.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 19, 2018

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Senor Tron posted:

I love their reactions to 20th century Earth because it really does beat in that most other planets have a handful of people living in tiny villages.

You thought that the confined "city" sets they would visit in TOS were a production limitation? Nope, every other planet just involves small groups of people wandering around on foot and they can't deal when they visit an actual city.

To be fair cities are terrifying if you have little experience with them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like how posters sometimes let slip that they like one design or another from STO and you can mentally write off their sense of taste forever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Q_res posted:

They're, at best, inconsistent on this point. The Federation can definitely do energy-matter conversion. So the way I reconcile it is, DS9 has waste reclamation because it only has a fusion reactor. Straight matter-energy conversion is simply too power intensive if you don't have a full-on warp core.

I figured it was there so the Cardassians could make the Bajorans drink their own recycled piss.

Eiba posted:

Enterprise season 3 maybe. Did you watch past episode 3 of Discovery? The whole point was that people can be poo poo, but we can and should rise above that.

I do like TNG era just assuming those values and imagining a world where they're a given, but Discovery is very much about fighting to uphold those values, rather than making GBS threads on them like Enterprise did during the Xindi war arc.

Rising above that in this case means handing a bomb capable of destroying an entire planet to a violent cult leader.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arglebargle III posted:

I like how posters sometimes let slip that they like one design or another from STO and you can mentally write off their sense of taste forever.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

HIJK posted:

I'm so sad we never got to see this ocean mammals are cool as poo poo

Do you think there's whale-run ships in Starfleet too, with a handful of token humans locked in a section of the ship nobody ever goes to?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I went back and labeled those ships in my post. I actually kind of like the Ajax, I think it looks like a reasonable evolution of the Defiant, and if it weren't for the speed hole I could believe the Scryer as an evolution of the Miranda. The Eclipse and Aquarius, though, are just plain weird.
I always thought the Scryer looked more like an evolution of the Luna class, but with all the separate components of the ship melted together and combined from that science ship concept from the cancelled early version of the game.

Still wish we'd gotten updated version of the Oracle-class/deep space science vessel design. It looks like a big shoe, but I really took a shine to is as an "alternative" Starfleet design.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Angry Salami posted:

Do you think there's whale-run ships in Starfleet too, with a handful of token humans locked in a section of the ship nobody ever goes to?

No.

It's a section full of Tholians. They help keep the water warm.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

"Ensign Shamu, report to Hominid Ops."
"Why do we have upper primates on the ship, anyway?"
"They're good at packing ceiling rocks into the ablative consoles."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Marshal Radisic posted:

I always thought the Scryer looked more like an evolution of the Luna class, but with all the separate components of the ship melted together and combined from that science ship concept from the cancelled early version of the game.

Still wish we'd gotten updated version of the Oracle-class/deep space science vessel design. It looks like a big shoe, but I really took a shine to is as an "alternative" Starfleet design.

The Luna's not an official design, mind. Like the Vesta, it's a ship that's popped up a lot in the Star Trek EU but has never actually appeared in a show or movie.

I thought the Oracle in STO was meant to be a modern take on the Oberth - it bears a distinct family resemblance.

Interesting note on that point, the Oberth class is supposed to be officially retired by the time of Voyager. The USS Equinox was going to be an Oberth class until the producers nixed that idea, saying the Oberth was too old and would have been phased out of service by now (Oberths notably never appear in the Dominion War on DS9). The Nova class was designed as a replacement - a small, cheap, short-range science vessel for low-priority missions safely inside Federation space.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Oberth is the best. It's so cute!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Cythereal posted:

It's a carrier. And that's the significantly better looking version of the Jupiter class. Here's what was in the game originally:

Reminds me of the SNES Super Scope.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Reminds me of the SNES Super Scope.

I'm getting a "Cruise ship from The Fifth Element" vibe.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gonz posted:

I'm getting a "Cruise ship from The Fifth Element" vibe.

Except that was cool and good

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Delsaber posted:

Season 2 is rough. Of the episodes in front of you, Cease Fire, Judgement, and First Flight are mostly good. I remember people really liking Cogenitor when it aired but I don't know how well it holds up now. Future Tense has a couple fun TOS callbacks but it's still a time war episode and those are never great.

Looks like the episode immediately following Vanishing Point is Precious Cargo, which is often regarded as the worst episode of the series, but maybe just in the laughably bad sense, a la Voyager's Threshold, and not legit offensively bad, like Retrospect or Tattoo.

Shouldn't Trip have learned his lesson after he got knocked up by that amphibian lady?

I guess this time it worked out okay, but my God he just started kissing this alien babe on that planet. You don't know how her species fucks, Trip, what if she lays her eggs in your throat?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The Bloop posted:

Except that was cool and good

Oh, definitely.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VitalSigns posted:

Shouldn't Trip have learned his lesson after he got knocked up by that amphibian lady?

I guess this time it worked out okay, but my God he just started kissing this alien babe on that planet. You don't know how her species fucks, Trip, what if she lays her eggs in your throat?

I figured that incident was what prompted the Starfleet regulation Janeway brings up in Voyager: no having sex with aliens until our medical staff has gotten a chance to talk with their medical staff and determined whether it's safe to bang or not.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Or the addendum to the rule: If you’re Harry Kim, no sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Interesting note on that point, the Oberth class is supposed to be officially retired by the time of Voyager. The USS Equinox was going to be an Oberth class until the producers nixed that idea, saying the Oberth was too old and would have been phased out of service by now (Oberths notably never appear in the Dominion War on DS9). The Nova class was designed as a replacement - a small, cheap, short-range science vessel for low-priority missions safely inside Federation space.
And as it happened, the Equinox itself was a rework of a design Rick Sternbach whipped up for the DS9 tech manual as an in-universe early concept for the Defiant.