Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Episode 2 of Dirty Money on Netflix is an absolute must see. I can't believe the audacity of the man documented in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I loved the race car seizure in the tone of someone's kids being taken by CPS.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I finished binging Broad City today. Took me a couple days. It's pretty excellent.

I watched Dave Made A Maze and Hunt for the Wilderpeople tonight as well. Both were really great. The description doesn't do Wilderpeople justice. It's super good.

Edit: The Joel McHale Show is up. :D

Double edit: it's really short. :(

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 18, 2018

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Eat The Rich posted:

If E(!) ceased to exist for you after The Soup was cancelled, this show will feel like going home.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
My review of Everything Sucks!, it doesn't suck! I enjoyed it a lot, probably due to the 90s soundtrack and the fact that I went to high school from 98 to 02. I definitely knew some of these people growing up and I like how the happy parts are typically undercut by the reality of the situation, the show is called Everything Sucks for a reason.

Eat The Rich posted:

This is my problem with most of the Netflix original stuff, everything I've watched has been quality but we're a binge household and can blow through a season of a series in a weeknight. And when the new season of Kimmy Schmidt comes out they're going to do the lame poo poo Amazon started and only 'premiere' half of the season. Ugh.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 18, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

veni veni veni posted:

Finally got around to watching Neon Demon. Eh. Not bad. Really nice movie to look at but I'm really not sure if I enjoyed it or not.

nicolas winding refn sure has an ego on him doesn't he? Like, I get it dude. you made the movie. I don't need to see it 10 times in the credits and your monogram slapped all over the place. I'm surprised his movie titles don't have his name in front of them.

I took the use of his monogram as a wink to the fashion industry and the narcissism of it. I mean you know who else puts their monogram or symbol everywhere? Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, etc.

I thought it was quite the experience and I’m glad I watched it. I’m just unsure if I ever want to see it again.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Eat The Rich posted:

I finished binging Broad City today. Took me a couple days. It's pretty excellent.

I watched Dave Made A Maze and Hunt for the Wilderpeople tonight as well. Both were really great. The description doesn't do Wilderpeople justice. It's super good.

I watched an episode of Broad City on a whim then binged all of the seasons immediately after. It is fuckin hysterical

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Field Mousepad posted:

I watched an episode of Broad City on a whim then binged all of the seasons immediately after. It is fuckin hysterical

My weed dealer got me into it. She's a weed kween.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Broad City is the funniest comedy in ages. It's so good and I'm glad Hannibal Burress was in season 4 after the rumors he wouldn't be

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Eat The Rich posted:

Wilderpeople was super heartwarming (and sad). I loved it.

Dave Made a Maze is such a weird concept that could have ended up really stupid and twee, but ended up great (with some awesome sets).

You gently caress my wife?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Eat The Rich posted:

My weed dealer got me into it. She's a weed kween.

Does she carry the weed around in her vagina?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

:siren: LOGAN LUCKY IS ON AMAZON PRIME EVERYBODY, PLEASE REMAIN CALM :siren:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

red19fire posted:

Soderbergh should repurpose this title for a Logan Paul biopic

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

nate fisher posted:

I took the use of his monogram as a wink to the fashion industry and the narcissism of it. I mean you know who else puts their monogram or symbol everywhere? Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, etc.

I thought it was quite the experience and I’m glad I watched it. I’m just unsure if I ever want to see it again.

Now I feel like a dope for not making that connection. That's actually sort of clever.

Also, pretty much feel the exact same way about the movie. Glad I watched it once.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Field Mousepad posted:

Does she carry the weed around in her vagina?

Only on flights.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

red19fire posted:

Movie's really good. Everybody with Prime should check it out if you like dry humor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GonSmithe posted:

Movie's really good. Everybody with Prime should check it out if you like dry humor.

Yup, Logan Lucky is absolutely fantastic, ironically better than all three of his Ocean's remakes.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Logan Lucky had too many unnecessary characters and the parts that were supposed to be funny tended to drag a little too long. Its a decent movie but the pace feels wrong for the style of movie its trying to be.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I thought Netflix UK was supposed to get a whole bunch of Monty Python stuff on the 15th, but apparently that wasn't the case. Oh well, hopefully it shows up soon and the deal didn't suddenly get cancelled or something.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
It Comes at Night is on Amazon Prime and I loved it. It feels like "The Last of Us": The Movie. Joel Edgerton in another great role. A very sparse post-apocalyptic story with a final act that had me riveted.

Trey Edward Shultz's direction gives me the vibes of Blue Ruin — spare and focused. And much like Jeremy Saulnier or Ryan Coogler who was mentioned above, I just wonder...how the heck are these directors so good on their first or second movie? I mean jeez, it's amazing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
If you're looking for a good new horror movie, there's a Netflix Original called The Ritual, and it owns!

It's hard to talk about because you're better off going in blind, but the short of it would be "some friends get lost in the woods."

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has anybody else seen Sample This?

Let me describe it for you, (I liked the movie by the way):

- GENE SIMMONS FROM KISS NARRATES A HIP HOP DOCUMENTARY (say what now)

- ABOUT THE APACHE BREAK that's the most popular break in hip hop (say what now what about Funky Drummer but okay)

- WITH DETAILS ABOUT THE BAND THAT ALMOST RECORDED IT (guitarist (what guitarist it's a break beat) joined the Manson cult? okay this is interesting? I guess?)

- THE BAND THAT RECORDED IT (ooh drat that's cool)

- THE BAND THAT TOURED ON IT (not the same band that recorded it? No fucks given about a cover band from 1974)

- THE MUSICIANS WHO MIGHT HAVE PLAYED ON IT BUT WE'RE NOT SURE (Ringo Starr you say? ehh, interesting trivia I guess? Also discussed: another drummer who played on Layla, who went on to kill and dismember his mom. Ehh, what now?)

- A SECOND CASH-GRAB ALBUM THAT WENT NOWHERE by none of the members who played on the apache break. Fewer than zero fucks given.

- and FINALLY, 15 minutes about how in 1977 (?) dudes started spinning it and it became a legendary hip hop staple.

If I hadn't been drinking and eating and too exhausted to give a poo poo, I probably would have stopped at "Hi I'm Gene Simmons From Goddamn Kiss in a Terrifying Helmet Wig Toupee and I'm going to tell you about the birth of Hip Hop."

After it was over, well, wow, lots of early 70's musician stories that are awesome, barely related to the actual 20 seconds that the movie is supposed to be about, plus a little bit about hip hop, oh and NOTHING ABOUT SAMPLING.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 19, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

magnificent7 posted:

Has anybody else seen Sample This?

That’s the one where it’s getting kind of dull toward the end, then suddenly dropped that atom bomb about the drummer, right?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

LadyPictureShow posted:

That’s the one where it’s getting kind of dull toward the end, then suddenly dropped that atom bomb about the drummer, right?
Exactly. Unless you're a music trivia freak like me and you knew it the whole time and you're screaming at the TV, "BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT PART WHERE MISTER COOL GUY KILLS AND DISMEMBERS HIS MOM! How come y'all ain't pointing that out?"

Maybe I'm taking this movie too personally.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Iron Crowned posted:

If you're looking for a good new horror movie, there's a Netflix Original called The Ritual, and it owns!

It's hard to talk about because you're better off going in blind, but the short of it would be "some friends get lost in the woods."

Watching The Ritual without knowing anything about it was a total :tviv: experience for me. It's such a shame that it was overshadowed by the lovely new Cloverfield film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

viral spiral posted:

Watching The Ritual without knowing anything about it was a total :tviv: experience for me. It's such a shame that it was overshadowed by the lovely new Cloverfield film.

Netflix seems to want to hit all of these different areas, even if some of them aren't going to command the huge numbers of views that something like Cloverfield Paradox did. The Ritual is getting a solid amount of attention in horror circles and I think they value that pretty highly too. They want to be the place where people go for huge blockbuster releases AND for the best independent cult kinda stuff like The Ritual. So they're spreading their money around and I think the service is a lot more attractive today than it was like 2 years ago because of that approach.

I imagine the rights to something like The Ritual were pretty cheap compared to the $50 mil they paid for Paradox.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I watched The Mist series, and yeah, I can see why it didn’t get a season two. Soldier guy and rad dad were cool and all, but so much of it was just weird, inconsistent and repetitive, and they didn’t do enough with, yanno the actual mist. I feel like it could have done a lot more with some of the plot beats.

I did laugh pretty hard at having a doctor instruct rad dad how to do a complicated, delicate surgical procedure over a loving Walkie-Talkie.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

speaking of misbegotten King adaptations, Dreamcatcher is back on Netflix

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cocoa Ninja posted:

It Comes at Night is on Amazon Prime and I loved it. It feels like "The Last of Us": The Movie. Joel Edgerton in another great role. A very sparse post-apocalyptic story with a final act that had me riveted.

Trey Edward Shultz's direction gives me the vibes of Blue Ruin — spare and focused. And much like Jeremy Saulnier or Ryan Coogler who was mentioned above, I just wonder...how the heck are these directors so good on their first or second movie? I mean jeez, it's amazing.

okay i know i always just drop that "it comes at night, more like poo poo comes at night" burn whenever this movie comes up

but I feel like I need to articulate why I really loving viscerally hated this movie. it's way, way, way too minimalistic and sparse, to the point where it starts negatively affecting the coherence of the narrative. i paid extremely close attention and i still had to ask other people and look on wikipedia just to figure out for sure what in the hell had actually happened in the movie; i'm perfectly fine having to exert mental effort to suss out a movie's themes or subtext, but if i have to put in that much brainpower just to loving figure out a movie's literal events i can't possibly care. i don't do jigsaw puzzle movies and It Comes at Night is the movie equivalent of one of those ridiculous goddamn 20,000-piece jigsaws that takes like 3 weeks to do, except it's a used puzzle and someone chucked like half the pieces before it got to you.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Watched Logan Lucky last night, and really love how Soderbergh played it straight. It would have been so easy for anyone to add in a massive amount of mean-spirited irony, but the movie would be much worse. Such a fun flick.

And I watched this a while ago, but I can't stop thinking about Last Men in Aleppo and getting sad. There are so many amazing people in the world and our governments really can't stop doing stupid poo poo.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 19, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Soderbergh is one of the more interesting filmmakers working right now. Glad he came back

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Best part about Logan Lucky is that it's just goofy Hell Or High Water

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

okay i know i always just drop that "it comes at night, more like poo poo comes at night" burn whenever this movie comes up

but I feel like I need to articulate why I really loving viscerally hated this movie. it's way, way, way too minimalistic and sparse, to the point where it starts negatively affecting the coherence of the narrative. i paid extremely close attention and i still had to ask other people and look on wikipedia just to figure out for sure what in the hell had actually happened in the movie; i'm perfectly fine having to exert mental effort to suss out a movie's themes or subtext, but if i have to put in that much brainpower just to loving figure out a movie's literal events i can't possibly care. i don't do jigsaw puzzle movies and It Comes at Night is the movie equivalent of one of those ridiculous goddamn 20,000-piece jigsaws that takes like 3 weeks to do, except it's a used puzzle and someone chucked like half the pieces before it got to you.

I dunno man, it seemed pretty straight forward to me. There is some stuff left up to the viewer for interpenetration, but I'd hardly call it a jigsaw puzzle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Unmature posted:

Best part about Logan Lucky is that it's just goofy Hell Or High Water

"Ocean's 7-11" is too good a line to exist in this world.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

I dunno man, it seemed pretty straight forward to me. There is some stuff left up to the viewer for interpenetration, but I'd hardly call it a jigsaw puzzle.

here is the sum total of what i managed to suss out in the theater: something really bad happened (a disease or something i guess?). a family lives out in the woods and takes in another couple. the family's kid has a sex dream, and then Joel Edgerton starts losing his poo poo and murders people and suddenly the family all has the disease or whatever. cut to credits. it was not particularly goddamn coherent.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

here is the sum total of what i managed to suss out in the theater: something really bad happened (a disease or something i guess?). a family lives out in the woods and takes in another couple. the family's kid has a sex dream, and then Joel Edgerton starts losing his poo poo and murders people and suddenly the family all has the disease or whatever. cut to credits. it was not particularly goddamn coherent.

It's an interesting reaction that you found it puzzle-like. I took the lack of backstory as permission for me to focus on the characters, rather than trying to figure out the details of what led to the apocalypse. The broad strokes are what you said — there's some disease, they're a prepper family who live off the grid, when they meet a new family things change and it forces the family to reveal what they're willing to do to protect themselves.

The ambiguity is in the form of the kid's dreams. Are they scary dreams because he lives in a scary world? Are they weird visions of the future? Do some of the things he dreams about actually happen, like at the end when it's implied he may have sleepwalked and opened the door?

The only part that was out and out ambiguous was the ending — we see the kid's nose bleeding and then he's spitting up in the sink. Is that the first sign of the plague, or is he just reacting to watching the other family be murdered? We see him go to bed and then we fade to black, like we do every time before the kid dreams...so is he dreaming of catching the plague? Is he actually dying and has some awareness of his mom saying goodbye, much like in the opening scene with the grandfather? I also couldn't tell if the parents were infected or not — they're at the dinner table next to an empty chair just like when the grandad died. Is that an objective shot or is it another nightmare?

I also think the movie will hold up well on rewatch because you can see it all as allegory. The idea of trying to keep your children pure and untainted from the danger and harsh reality of the outside world. There's also an amazing technical detail I didn't catch when watching it (ending spoiler too) — whenever the kid is dreaming the aspect ratio is very wide, i.e. the black bars on the top and bottom are much thicker than the rest of the movie. When Joel and his wife are killing the other family the black bars are slowly creeping in until it's super super widescreen...in other words, reality has become the kid's nightmare. That detail made me love the movie even more, and I think it supports reading the coda of the movie as an extended dream from the son's POV.

I'm genuinely curious if you care to say what else you found frustrating or off-putting about the movie, I wish I had more people to talk to about it! That's one problem of having so many drat things to see, it's hard to find places to talk about it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Filthy Hans posted:

speaking of misbegotten King adaptations, Dreamcatcher is back on Netflix

Genuinely the worst movie I've ever seen. Don't touch it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The book's no prize either. I'd actually put Dreamcatcher in the "so bad it's good" camp, myself.
e: the movie that is

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 19, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

All this Logan Lucky talk reminds me that I watched Lucky a few weeks ago. It was really sweet, but also sad.

Harry Dean Stanton plays an old man that’s outlived just about everyone he knew and lives in this little podunk town. It kind on looks at the meaning of life, too. Kind of fitting it was his final role...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's about paranoia building, and the movie never explicitly answers whether or not it was warranted. I can see why people found that off putting but it worked for me. The actual events that happen during the movie are pretty straight forward, so i'm not sure what was confusing about that, the movie just has no interest in answering who or why at any point. Everything felt very futile but it's defiantly what they were going for.

I can see why people hate it but I loving loved it.