Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As a white male in his 30s, I am extremely offended by Black Panther

's inclusion of a WHAT ARE THOOOOOOSE meme.

I actually love that whole scene but it's amazing that they literally just put a "Q gives Bond his gadgets" scene into this movie

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Jesus, Black Panther is expecting to make as much domestic gross in 4 days as Justice League did total. That’s nuts.

Gonna see it on Tuesday, can’t wait.

$192 million domestically over the three day weekend (not counting President's Day) means it beats Deadpool's debut for February releases, it's the second biggest opening for a Marvel movie behind The Avengers, and it's the fifth biggest opening of all time. It's already over $300 million internationally and still hasn't even opened in regions like China yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It also beat the previous best debut solo movie in the MCU.

By 75 million.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gaz-L posted:

As a white male in his 30s, I am extremely offended by Black Panther

's inclusion of a WHAT ARE THOOOOOOSE meme.

I actually love that whole scene but it's amazing that they literally just put a "Q gives Bond his gadgets" scene into this movie

I didn’t even know that was a meme, but that scene is fantastic. I love Shuri and T’Challa’s scenes in the movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its too bad Luke Cage will never meet Black Panther in the movies. Maybe Wakanda Outreach can appear in the second season, but seriously, its a shame.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I didn’t even know that was a meme, but that scene is fantastic. I love Shuri and T’Challa’s scenes in the movie.

Warning: I am about to ruin that scene for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NSKl5ZjPYQ

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Teenage Fansub posted:

I though Claw had one of the best performances in the movie. Maybe there's not much depth to him, but he was fun.
What is love?

I was wondering if all that was a reference to how he went insane in the comics, most famously seen in the original Secret Wars

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Jesus, Black Panther is expecting to make as much domestic gross in 4 days as Justice League did total. That’s nuts.

Gonna see it on Tuesday, can’t wait.

Imagine telling this to some comics nerds twenty years ago. Or that a Thor movie outperformed Justice League. Or that Iron Man would be the face and most popular hero of modern superhero movies. Or that there's been not one but two highly successful and critically acclaimed Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Or that Wonder Woman would make more than the last three Superman films.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

I was wondering if all that was a reference to how he went insane in the comics, most famously seen in the original Secret Wars

Singing the song? I just took it as belittling the interrogation.
"Baby don't hurt me, no more" instead of doing a mocking "Please Mr. Policeman. I'll tell you anything!" thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 19, 2018

Unmature
May 9, 2008
At my second showing of BP and this is insane. I've never seen a theater this packed on a Sunday at 3PM. It's possible I've never been in a theater this packed unless it was a special showing.

We meant to get a 3PM screening with MoviePass but it was sold out. The kiosk had a 3:30 showing that wasn't in the MoviePass app. It worked anyway by checking into the 3 showing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Singing the song? I just took it as belittling the interrogation.
"Baby don't hurt me, no more" instead of doing a mocking "Please Mr. Policeman. I'll tell you anything!" thing.

Please reflect on the fact that Andy Serkis was paid a LOT of money to sing Haddaway at the top of his lungs in a bad South African accent.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

By all rights, Black Panther should be the top Marvel super hero now, right?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Superstring posted:

In a slightly better world I'd expect them to full on pivot to him being the new Iron Man ASAP. But we live in our world and I do not expect Hollywood to learn any good lessons from this. I'd love to be proven wrong.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's the damndest thing, when you have a movie made by and marketed to women and POC, they actually show up and see the movie! Who the gently caress knew?

Maybe next time time some dumbass exec at WB thinks it's a great idea to cut out the black love interest and cut down most the screen time for the black hero for the benefit of a white russian family, they'll loving remember this.

Also, how come no one is talking about how fine M'baka looked?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
M'baku was actually the dark horse of the movie for me. I didn't know that Lupita's character was a villain in the Priest run of the comics, but I knew M'baku is like one of the 3 big Panther baddies along with Killmonger and Klaw, so when he's much more the Han Solo snarky rear end in a top hat who's really a good dude deep down it really caught me off guard.

Also, I love how heavily they used Stelfreeze's art as inspiration in this movie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superstring posted:

Outside of cartoons or whatever, I'll be happy if he only appears in the next Avengers movie (or movies depending on how close #4 ties in with #3) before the BP sequel.

The MCU has a bad habit of overexposing a good thing. Let the viewers miss them for a bit.

edit: Same for Spider-Man.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 19, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked it way more the second time.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
The last 3rd felt ever so slightly rushed and I wasn't a huge fan of Kaluuya's character at all (his quick pivot to fighting against his King and friend for a guy he literally doesn't know at all felt fast, unearned and weak) but the movie was insanely good. The women were definitely the high point - Shuri, Nakia and Okoye were amazing.

Also I haven't seen a reaction like my showing had in a movie since . . . I don't know. I'm not sure I've ever seen it. When Killmonger said he wanted to die like his people did, jumping from the ships into the water rather than being enslaved, the theater erupted. And rightly so.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 19, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I was definitely pleasantly surprised with how they used M'Baku here because my only exposure to him before this film was having to beat his rear end over and over and over...and over and over and over and over again...every other day in the Marvel Heroes PC game in order to get the daily loot to...eh...I don't even remember what the loot was for anymore.

:sigh: I miss that game.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Kai Tave posted:

it's just a pity that Serkis really only got to be in one good Marvel movie even if it was a really good one.
It's Andy Serkis, he's got the monopoly on playing any mocapped character in any Hollywood blockbuster. Sooner or later they'll get around to slotting him into Fin Fang Foom.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

I was definitely pleasantly surprised with how they used M'Baku here because my only exposure to him before this film was having to beat his rear end over and over and over...and over and over and over and over again...every other day in the Marvel Heroes PC game in order to get the daily loot to...eh...I don't even remember what the loot was for anymore.

:sigh: I miss that game.

Oh that's right, be was boss of the Vibranium mines. For some reason I feel like Killmonger was a jobber villain that would show up there too?

mikeraskol posted:

The last 3rd felt ever so slightly rushed and I wasn't a huge fan of Kaluuya's character at all (his quick pivot to fighting against his King and friend for a guy he literally doesn't know at all felt fast, unearned and weak) but the movie was insanely good. The women were definitely the high point - Shuri, Nakia and Okoye were amazing.

I feel like T'challa promised him that he would bring Klaw back, as he wanted revenge for the death of his parents. T'challa failed in this, and then Killmonger shows up with Klaw and he sees someone who can get things done that T'challa cannot.

Its interesting in a movie with a mostly black cast, of that black cast, most of them are women. Interesting and awesome!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I actually do agree that W'Kabi's betrayal, while understandable in the abstract, did feel a bit out of place. Like, it doesn't matter if Killmonger killed Klaw if the only reason he killed Klaw is to manipulate you and you dang well know that the only reason he did it was to manipulate you!

That being said, there was a line earlier in the film where W'Kabi specifically says that he wouldn't actually object to sending Wakanda's armies out into the world to bust some heads if that's what the T'Challa wanted. So it's not like his own philosophies were absolutely, 100% opposed to Killmonger's in the first place.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

$192 million domestically over the three day weekend (not counting President's Day) means it beats Deadpool's debut for February releases, it's the second biggest opening for a Marvel movie behind The Avengers, and it's the fifth biggest opening of all time. It's already over $300 million internationally and still hasn't even opened in regions like China yet.

Does this movie even look like it'll have a chance in China? I thought that the general moviegoing audience there was PREEEEETY racist with regards to black actors.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chieves posted:

Does this movie even look like it'll have a chance in China? I thought that the general moviegoing audience there was PREEEEETY racist with regards to black actors.

I mean the US has had a few minor quibbles with black people over the years too and it seems to be doing all right here, so I dunno.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Saw it a second time and loved it again. I've been crossing my arms in front of my chest all day. I just wanna say that I hate the new Marvel opening still. It's bad.

I got emotional at that first chat with T'Chaka again. When he tells T'Challa to surround himself with people he trusts, I'm sure he meant Nakia and Shuri, but it gave me Avengers vibes and that made me ultra happy.

My secret impossible dream is everybody surviving Thanos and the last 10 minutes of the 4th Avengers is just everybody talking and hanging out at Tony and Pepper's wedding.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SonicRulez posted:

I just wanna say that I hate the new Marvel opening still. It's bad.

Not only that, but because it’s so long and upbeat it ends up throwing off whatever tone you just established in the opening scene. It felt incredibly off-putting in BP. Like, we get it, you have all these heroes to show off, we’ve been seeing them for 10 years now. Just do the old comic page flip thing and get to the movie.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

McCloud posted:

Also, how come no one is talking about how fine M'baka looked?

I was talking about it!!! I'm still talking about it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Saw it a second time and loved it again. I've been crossing my arms in front of my chest all day. I just wanna say that I hate the new Marvel opening still. It's bad.

I got emotional at that first chat with T'Chaka again. When he tells T'Challa to surround himself with people he trusts, I'm sure he meant Nakia and Shuri, but it gave me Avengers vibes and that made me ultra happy.

My secret impossible dream is everybody surviving Thanos and the last 10 minutes of the 4th Avengers is just everybody talking and hanging out at Tony and Pepper's wedding.

T'Challa should be the new leader after Tony steps down.

At the very least give me a T'Challa, Strange, Banner, Shuri and Peter Illuminati film.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Peter and Shuri wouldn't be in that group because they'd sneak off together to fight bad guys and make out.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Peter and Shuri wouldn't be in that group because they'd sneak off together to fight bad guys and make out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not only that, but because it’s so long and upbeat it ends up throwing off whatever tone you just established in the opening scene. It felt incredibly off-putting in BP. Like, we get it, you have all these heroes to show off, we’ve been seeing them for 10 years now. Just do the old comic page flip thing and get to the movie.

It feels very self-congratulatory. Which hey, the MCU kicks rear end so I get it, but it's just not visually satisfying in any way.

Also, I forgot to give love to a very minor part that I liked the second time around: When T'Challa tells M'Baku that he can't speak for past kings. I feel like that line, in spite of how short it was, is what changed his mind ultimately. He has to give T'Challa the chance to be different if he ever wants him to be. The same chance that Killmonger threw away so he could cling to his pride. I think it's super important that M'Baku showing up is what turns the tide in the battle for that reason.

That last line though. What a radical thing to say.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My favorite part of Black Panther was when Martin Freeman was shouted down from talking

Also "Delete that video!". Shuri is a godsend.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I actually do agree that W'Kabi's betrayal, while understandable in the abstract, did feel a bit out of place. Like, it doesn't matter if Killmonger killed Klaw if the only reason he killed Klaw is to manipulate you and you dang well know that the only reason he did it was to manipulate you!

That being said, there was a line earlier in the film where W'Kabi specifically says that he wouldn't actually object to sending Wakanda's armies out into the world to bust some heads if that's what the T'Challa wanted. So it's not like his own philosophies were absolutely, 100% opposed to Killmonger's in the first place.

T'challa also never mentioned how he lost Klaue for some reason.

(because it would make the betrayal feel even more out of place obviously.)

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

I think they should have mentioned that he saw the video because then he'd be able to say "you had your chance and you let him go"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

For as electronically savvy and connected everyone seemed to be, all he had to see was the footage those onlookers had of Klaue being in Panther's grasp and being given mercy and any explanation from Panther falls apart.

"I had your parents' murderer in my hands with my claws about to tear through his throat... but it would have been bad for my image, don't you get it?"

Edit: Beaten

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Aphrodite posted:

Didn’t he not say why because he had no clue who Kilmonger was or, more importantly, why he had the ring. It was a big enough deal that he made sure the room was empty and then keep it secret from everyone in the throne room when Kilmonger eventually showed up and shouted it himself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

good day for a bris posted:

Didn’t he not say why because he had no clue who Kilmonger was or, more importantly, why he had the ring. It was a big enough deal that he made sure the room was empty and then keep it secret from everyone in the throne room when Kilmonger eventually showed up and shouted it himself.

No, that scene with W'Kabi happens after he confronted Zuri about his father covering up his uncle's death.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaz-L posted:

No, that scene with W'Kabi happens after he confronted Zuri about his father covering up his uncle's death.

No it doesn't. The scene with W'Kabi is right after they bring Ross to Wakanda. After T'Challa confronts Zuri (after the scene with W'Kabi), he talks with Nakia, then gets called back by Shuri to find out who Killmonger is, then it's the throne room scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
AMC was not ready for the last minute added screenings. It was muddy, blurry, and frame rate went to poo poo whenever the camera panned. The volume was super low and sounded like I was wearing earmuffs. Tons of lines were drowned out by laughter INCLUDING the Disneyland line which I looked out for this time.

I would've been pissed if it were my first time.

• Locked thread