Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not only that, but because it’s so long and upbeat it ends up throwing off whatever tone you just established in the opening scene. It felt incredibly off-putting in BP. Like, we get it, you have all these heroes to show off, we’ve been seeing them for 10 years now. Just do the old comic page flip thing and get to the movie.

It would be fine if it were half as long and they allowed directors to put their own soundtrack over it instead of using the drat fanfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Gaz-L posted:

No, that scene with W'Kabi happens after he confronted Zuri about his father covering up his uncle's death.

I guess I misremembered the order of things cuz I could’ve sworn it goes

-Team returns with Ross to Wakanda
-W’Kabi asks him about Klaue and T’Challa says he escaped, Ross is still in the infirmary and T’Challa rushes to stop him from going farther (I’m guessing so he doesn’t find Ross inside for some reason).
-T’Challa confronts Zuri about the ring

I think T’Challa knew something was up and didn’t want to say anything to W’Kabi till he figured out who Eric was and why he had the Royal ring.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

good day for a bris posted:

I guess I misremembered the order of things cuz I could’ve sworn it goes

-Team returns with Ross to Wakanda
-W’Kabi asks him about Klaue and T’Challa says he escaped, Ross is still in the infirmary and T’Challa rushes to stop him from going farther (I’m guessing so he doesn’t find Ross inside for some reason).
-T’Challa confronts Zuri about the ring

I think T’Challa knew something was up and didn’t want to say anything to W’Kabi till he figured out who Eric was and why he had the Royal ring.

You're correct about the order of events, for the record.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think I confused the order because the two scenes are pretty close to each other.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do we know what the mask was of that Erik took from the museum and later wore when springing Killmonger? I feel like it is too deliberate to be completely arbitrary

Edit; Movie logic wise not character wise

I am a dumbass with edit/post tonight

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 19, 2018

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Do we know what the mask was of that Erik took from the museum and later wore when springing Killmonger? I feel like it is too deliberate to be completely arbitrary

Naw, he was just feelin' it

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Unlucky7 posted:

Edit: Arbitrary on part of the movie logic that is, not arbitrary on part of the character

It's a comic book reference.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Walked straight into that.

I think it’s a variation of this:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Well actually... https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/art-africa/west-africa/mali1/a/mask-kanaga-dogon-peoples

I have actually been meaning to work on an effortpost about the origin of the costumes. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll finish it up lol.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Barry Convex posted:

It would be fine if it were half as long and they allowed directors to put their own soundtrack over it instead of using the drat fanfare.

The first time I saw the Marvel logo after seeing it front of Spider-Man (many times) it was jarring because I had come to associate it so strongly with the beginning of the main title theme. It actually works really well too, so it wasn't just jarring but also a let down.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

T'challa also never mentioned how he lost Klaue for some reason.

(because it would make the betrayal feel even more out of place obviously.)

That bugged the hell out of me more than anything because of the ring, T’challa knee damned well Killmonger rescued Klaw. He could have just explained that to W’kabi and solved the whole thing in two seconds.
There were similar moments like that too, and I really got what Priest was saying in his early review; The movie should have had a more interesting resolution than just a fight, especially after how Civil War went.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Koalas March posted:

Well actually... https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/art-africa/west-africa/mali1/a/mask-kanaga-dogon-peoples

I have actually been meaning to work on an effortpost about the origin of the costumes. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll finish it up lol.

Definitely but no rush.

I'm pretty sure the costumes were my girlfriend's favorite part of the movie, she audibly responded to like every scene.

....My favorite part was Michael B(mine) Jordan's action figure body/perfect hair/devil-may-care attitude... don't tell her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

good day for a bris posted:

Didn’t he not say why because he had no clue who Kilmonger was or, more importantly, why he had the ring. It was a big enough deal that he made sure the room was empty and then keep it secret from everyone in the throne room when Kilmonger eventually showed up and shouted it himself.

I meant later in the throne room. Seems like a good time to say this guy helped Klaue.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

I meant later in the throne room. Seems like a good time to say this guy helped Klaue.

At which point Erik probably says something to the effect of well you COULD have come after me if you wanted, but you decided it was a better idea to bring your buddy the American CIA agent back here for medical treatment so we can all see where your priorities lie.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Oh yeah, that. Well I figured he was still trying to protect T’Chaka’s legacy but yeah it shouldn’t have been too much work to just go “oh someone call Zuri, he’ll clear this up” but I guess by that point the challenge was going to continue since Eric’s claim was deemed valid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

At which point Erik probably says something to the effect of well you COULD have come after me if you wanted, but you decided it was a better idea to bring your buddy the American CIA agent back here for medical treatment so we can all see where your priorities lie.

I’m not sure Killmonger knows that actually.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Codependent Poster posted:

Peter and Shuri wouldn't be in that group because they'd sneak off together to fight bad guys and make out.

I never thought I'd see the day where people on SA ship characters that haven't even met yet

I approve

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Peter x Shuri is a pairing that makes really good sense in comics where you don't have to worry about actor contracts or anything. In real life it's less doable but maybe will happen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

He probably could have better argued that the CIA wasn't going to give Klaue up at all and Erik was making sure that he got justice for Wakanda.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Right, it’s easy to come up with some plausible explanations there. Which is why not having some in the movie is one little negative. It’s not a big deal, but something you could have fixed with maybe an extra minute or two’s dialogue always stands out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It sounds tiring to have to start worrying about who characters would be dating after you watch anything.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

It sounds tiring to have to start worrying about who characters would be dating after you watch anything.

Excuse you

"Tumblr posted:

They’re age appropriate, have similar interests, and both smart as hell.

Imagine Shuri gushing over Pete’s web formula while he acts all shy and humble!

Imagine Pete gushing over her EVE-RY-THING!

Imagine overprotective big brother T’Challa, and Tony giving Pete terrible dating advice!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not to mention how angry it would make all the racists :getin:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

DynamicSloth posted:

It's Andy Serkis, he's got the monopoly on playing any mocapped character in any Hollywood blockbuster. Sooner or later they'll get around to slotting him into Fin Fang Foom.

I kind of figured the reason they got him to play Klaw in the first place was to have him go full sound ghost at some point. Surprised that didn't happen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was really hoping that after BP actually came out the "uh BLADE" crowd would shut up, but nope. Seriously, there is no comparison between Blade and Black Panther in the scale of movies that feature majority Black casts.

I just saw someone suggests that Shuri become Iron Man, but no, Riri Williams would be perfect to use the Wakanda Outreach Centers to help get access to education and technology that she otherwise would not, same with Lunella.

Shuri would be amazing for Spider-Man 2, but I still thinking it would be a perfect movie to introduce Kamala in. Hell, have the 3 of them, and Peter never feels threatened by having two women that are smarter and braver than he is, because he's that good of a dude.

Young women of colour, the future of the MCU.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

I was really hoping that after BP actually came out the "uh BLADE" crowd would shut up, but nope. Seriously, there is no comparison between Blade and Black Panther in the scale of movies that feature majority Black casts.

Blade isn't even a movie with a majority black cast, it has two major black characters and one minor character, everyone else is white or a few token Asian extras here and there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kai Tave posted:

Blade isn't even a movie with a majority black cast, it has two major black characters and one minor character, everyone else is white or a few token Asian extras here and there.

And Snipes had to fight to get a black woman cast as the female lead. By the metric of Movie based on a comic book with a Black Lead yes, Blade came first, but BP is miles ahead of it for representation both infront of and behind the camera.

When the Bluray comes out, I really hope there is a massive documentary about the production and costume design. I've heard the production designer looked at actual Africa tribal aesthetics and using them as a guide, came up with something that looks like it came out of the same region, but is wholly original.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nah, it's just fun and cute.

Ignore the people who start fights and send death threats over shipping.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The knuckles need to make panther noises when she punches stuff.

Kai Tave posted:

I mean the US has had a few minor quibbles with black people over the years too and it seems to be doing all right here, so I dunno.

Some Forbes Article posted:

Despite the fact that it was made as a co-production with substantial backing from the huge and powerful China Film Group, despite the fact that it was given a preferential PRC release, despite the fact that it grossed $176 million in North America and $175 million in other overseas markets, and despite the fact that it featured China’s favorite movie star Jackie Chan in the second lead role, The Karate Kid bombed in China, with a paltry $7 million in box office collections.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

Ignore the people who start fights and send death threats over shipping.

All y'all dweebs are getting ignored!

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Money Money Money

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/st...483260540260352

the Force Awakens has the sunday record with 60,5 million.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
From W’kabi's POV Killmonger is the legitimate Black Panther. He fought T’challa in ritual combat and won. Yes, there is the technicality that T’challa actually survived the fall, but that's a technicality the others cling to because they really, really don't want Killmonger to be king. So the usurper shows up, illegally using the Black Panther armour, kills some of his men (those aircraft have pilots!) and demands to be made back into king, gently caress all that ritual combat business, and the legitimate king - who you agree with anyway - tells him to go stab that dude, whose orders do you follow? Don't forget that we've already established that T’challa lied about Killmonger's identity so who knows what else he's lying about.

I think people are too focused on the Klaue thing. Klaue got Killmonger an audience, W'kabi is loyal for other reasons.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/stevelikescups/status/964622725833670656

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

5th largest opening OF ALL TIME with an estimated $192 million.

Holy loving poo poo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Unlucky7 posted:

Edit; Movie logic wise not character wise

I am a dumbass with edit/post tonight

Also, I would say It first indicates his 'rapine'/colonial/Western European attitude, he talks about how the British seized Wakandian property with no care or justification, then he seizes the non-Wakandian mask on the exact same principles.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Unfortunately I can not get on board with the Peter Shuri pairing because having a Wakandan princess girlfriend is far too awesome for Peters perennially screwed up personal life. I could go with mad unrequited crush though.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
From Deadline,

http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-panther-thursday-night-preview-box-office-1202291093/

T’Challa has recorded the second best Sunday ever at the domestic B.O. with an estimated $59.55M per industry estimates tonight, filing behind the all-time record held by Disney/Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($60.5M on Dec. 20, 2015). This now pushes Black Panther to a 3-day between $201M-$202M; still the 5th best domestic 3-day opening of all-time after 2012’s Avengers ($207.4M).

Rivals are literally forecasting that the Ryan Coogler-directed Marvel movie could take the record for the second best 4-day opening of all-time with $241M-$243M after Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($288M). In that case, Black Panther would slaughter the Friday-Monday hauls of Avengers ($226.3M) Jurassic World ($234.1M), and, yes, Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($241.6M).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

5th largest opening OF ALL TIME with an estimated $192 million.

Holy loving poo poo.

They do those estimates early in the day Sunday, and there can be adjustments. Black Panther's going to get adjusted up. It can't really go high enough to pass Avengers for 4th, but it may break $200m.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fangz posted:

From W’kabi's POV Killmonger is the legitimate Black Panther. He fought T’challa in ritual combat and won. Yes, there is the technicality that T’challa actually survived the fall, but that's a technicality the others cling to because they really, really don't want Killmonger to be king. So the usurper shows up, illegally using the Black Panther armour, kills some of his men (those aircraft have pilots!) and demands to be made back into king, gently caress all that ritual combat business, and the legitimate king - who you agree with anyway - tells him to go stab that dude, whose orders do you follow?

I mean, it's all technicalities. The rules say that if you challenge for the throne, it's not over until the previous king yields or dies, and that didn't happen. Note that there were not a lot of people calling for the military to ignore the results of the last American election and regard Hillary Clinton as president even though Trump only won on a technicality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, it's all technicalities. The rules say that if you challenge for the throne, it's not over until the previous king yields or dies, and that didn't happen. Note that there were not a lot of people calling for the military to ignore the results of the last American election and regard Hillary Clinton as president even though Trump only won on a technicality.

I mean the rules do say that but there's gotta be a lot of times where the loser goes down the waterfall and they never find the body. Like if Killmonger went over the cliff instead and reappeared a few days later having used a stolen heart-shaped herb and donning royal armour, there would be no question that if the royal guard fights on T'Challa's behalf they'll be correctly fulfilling their duty. It's not that W'Kabi is right, it's that the rules are at least ambiguous, and arguably he follows their spirit better than the Dora Milaje.

• Locked thread