Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dead Reckoning posted:

Humans are driven by needs like safety, belonging, and affection, while devils are driven by a need to consume humans body and soul.

Sure, but Abbadon has explained pretty directly, both through various characters and as the author, the nature of devils.

Allison: "Then why are you even here?"
Cio: "I thought- I thought... maybe I could... make something of thee. Something to help protect me."

Cio: "Devils feed on human soul flames, Allison. Normally, we get it through pacts. But some of us... Didn't much like being bound. Over time, the oldest and most cunning-some among us found other ways. We were born from hunger, Allison. Driven to grow, to spread an' consume... Old devils roost here. Like me. And old devils... Have only one way of looking at the world: as meat."

Himself: she's not your friend
the first thought Ciocie Ciocelle had upon meeting you was how fast she could slit your throat and take your key

Cio: "Those other devils were right about me. I'VE TRIED TO SLAUGHTER THEM ALL! I'M A 'FLESH-EATING MONSTER' PRETENDIN' SHE'S A LITTLE WOMAN!"

Oskar: "We devils have one rule, me lovely: 'Do as thou wilt'."

Cio: "Devils are solitary creatures, Allison. We are pure desire. We have nothing else in our hearts. No comrades. No family. And no friends."

Cio: "Allison, I know I'm a lying arsehole, but I e'nt gonna lie this time... Mark me well Allison, when I say: whether tha'll have me or not, I'm for thee. I'm for thee."
Also Cio:

Goons: "I think she's really just a misunderstood addict trying to get her life together despite being exploited & abused by Allison. :downs:"

I'm starting to feel bad now because I'm beginning to wonder if you're literally handicapped based on your seeming inability to not take things at complete face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The funny thing about believing "the fact that devils are required to consume humans makes them not human (because killing humans is inhumane)" is that, if you follow that logic to it's endpoint, it actually leads to the devils being more human than most the human characters in the comic. The devils may be murders one-and-all, but at least they're not culpable!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Also if my soul flame was just going to get snuffed out anyway after my death I'd probably be fine with making a pact and having the black flame slowly convert my soul flame. I don't think it's actually stated that there's a downside to that unless you overload yourself with pacts. Maybe it means something of your personality lives on after you die.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Not in this case. I asked Abaddon in this very thread what constitutes a demon and the answer was "It's a general term for "really bad things" and not "another word for devils".

Further, you have the alt-text of the page where allison explodes Mottom's tree husband that reads 1/6,000,000,000. And that dude was not a devil of any description.

Ah. I must have been remembering something else, then.

Boron_the_Moron
Apr 28, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

God is a liar. This is canon.

It's kind of beautiful that readers of this story are so willing to rebel against its writer.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

"I am a consummate liar." - Abbadon

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

and so thread learns the truth of fiction

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I wonder what Allison's roommates are up to

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PetraCore posted:

Yeah when I said angelic immortality was a constant state of change I was referring to how they come out of the cocoon with their 'core self' intact but memories and poo poo hazy... like there's potential for change between one incarnation and another, as opposed to being ironclad. And the sense of self also seems to get dreamlike, since White Chain was iirc upset that Liminal Blossom would forget their (her? probably her) gender stuff upon resetting and Blossom was like 'gently caress that noise I'll learn again what I learned this time but don't bother getting reset for me since they're executing me anyway'.

So like, the gender thing is core, but the knowledge of it isn't...?

I'm increasingly suspicious of the angels' "reincarnation" generally, it's pretty heavily implied effectively nothing gets retained in rebirth and everything that could have made the old angel themselves just dies

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Humans die eventually and nothing will stop it, unless extraordinary methods are employed. We've seen one method: fruit from a tree watered by the blood of maidens. How is that any different from a devil needing to consume the flame from humans to extend their lifespan?
Well, in this case, it's that no one is trying to argue, "Perhaps the god-queen who reaps the flower of young womanhood from every world she passes in order to unnaturally extend her life is just misunderstood and is in fact not so bad." Allison rather literally blew up the "I'm really just a victim of circumstance" argument.

PetraCore posted:

Cio's a self-loathing addict who has trouble accurately self-reporting due to the unfortunately terminal condition of personhood.
You can't keep calling Cio an addict unless you explain how "consuming human soul flames" is a disorder for devils. An addiction is not the same as a compulsion, which is not the same as a biological drive. Words have meaning.

PetraCore posted:

I haven't said Cio is a poor little innocent who was horribly abused by Allison, you keep strawmanning me.
That wasn't directed at you.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm honestly not certain how this scene plus the most recent page is supposed to help your case, rather than be literally the definition of dramatic irony?

Seriously, the lady doth protest too much, that is literally what is happening here. The small lady bug demon is protesting a ton, because it makes her NOT being that a lot more dramatically interesting.
What kind of dramatic beat, exactly, is the most recent page, if not that exact kind of dramatic irony? What has happened here if Cio is in fact a murderous monster with less interesting individual characterization than the most generic vampire-trying-not-to-murder ever?
But Cio is a murderous monster here. She's been warning Allison about her nature in every way short of taking her firmly by the shoulders, looking her square in the eye, and saying, "I am a horrifying murder beast that feeds on humans and will eventually try to kill you." (And I'm starting to think that, even if she did, some posters would be saying, "Aww, she's being too hard on herself.") And then she tried to kill Allison in a devilish fury that didn't subside until she believed she had succeeded. Cio didn't stop herself from killing Allison, Allison stopped herself from dying by interposing the fanfiction diary, a remnant of Cio's struggle to become something other than her nature.

This would be dramatic irony if we knew something that the characters didn't, but Cio and the other devils have been 99% up front about what they are. The dramatic beat here is that Allison, (aside from surviving what was very much drawn to look like a deadly gutting,) accepts Cio in spite of having her illusions about Cio's nature violently stripped away. Allison has just had a first hand experience with realizing that a powerful part of herself is sociopathic, and very much needs to believe that a person can still be good and whole despite being capable of brutal murders. Can she similarly guide Cio to becoming a more authentic version of herself by coming to terms with Yabalchoeath? Maybe. But Cio is always going to be a devil.

This doesn't detract from the nobility and tragedy of Cio's story: Cio will never be able to become a simple fan fiction writer, because that identity is rooted in denial of an inherent part of herself. Someone who learns how to make a life for themselves while working around a condition or flaw or illness they can never excise, sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing, and the friends who accept them anyway... To me, that's a far more human and interesting story than, "it turns out that even the worst and most flawed people can simply stop being bad & sad, and resolve all of their flaws through The Power of Friendship (and lesbian crushes.)"

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 19, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dead Reckoning posted:

This doesn't detract from the nobility and tragedy of Cio's story: Cio will never be able to become a simple fan fiction writer, because that identity is rooted in denial of an inherent part of herself. Someone who learns how to make a life for themselves while working around a condition or flaw or illness they can never excise, sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing, and the friends who accept them anyway... To me, that's a far more human and interesting story than, "it turns out that even the worst and most flawed people can simply stop being bad & sad, and resolve all of their flaws through The Power of Friendship (and lesbian crushes.)"

Here's the thing: no one here is saying that Cio isn't a "horrifying murder beast," they're arguing that she's a person -- which you yourself seem to concede in this paragraph.

(I apologize if I read past someone who was saying that.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Cio has a personality, but isn't a person in the sense of being human, because her fundamental drives and needs are alien. This is why people are so fascinated with psychopaths: beings whose appearance and affect mirrors our own, but who underneath do not share our feelings and humanity.

Cio clearly has a need for belonging and acceptance, apparently unusual for a devil, and it's going to be interesting to see how she's going to reconcile that with the fact that she is a devil and her very nature/presence is inimical to the well-being of everyone around her. (Since denial didn't work.)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it seemed to be working all right up until she got dragged back into the game kicking and screaming

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Dead Reckoning posted:

Cio has a personality, but isn't a person in the sense of being human, because her fundamental drives and needs are alien. This is why people are so fascinated with psychopaths: beings whose appearance and affect mirrors our own, but who underneath do not share our feelings and humanity.

Cio clearly has a need for belonging and acceptance, apparently unusual for a devil, and it's going to be interesting to see how she's going to reconcile that with the fact that she is a devil and her very nature/presence is inimical to the well-being of everyone around her. (Since denial didn't work.)
Yo it's hosed up to say that psychopaths aren't human because they are, that's part of the problem*, they wouldn't be as potentially dangerous if they were tigers or something. It's dangerous and unhealthy to dehumanize people even if they've legitimately got pathways broken in their brains.

So basically you've got a special specific definition of 'people' that isn't the definition anyone else in here is using and then you act like we're being naive when we don't come to the same conclusions you did because you're using a different vocabulary? Because if your argument all along was that Cio isn't human and while there's things about her and her arc that's relatable to humans (given that the writer and audience are human) it's too simplistic to gloss over the drives and urges that come with being a devil and not a human, that's... that's correct? I don't think anyone has been arguing against that?

* Sometimes humans are really really bad or have brain damage or both, psssst.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tollymain posted:

it seemed to be working all right up until she got dragged back into the game kicking and screaming

Remember that at the start of the story she was supporting herself by working as her husband's bookkeeper, who was in the business of flesh trading. So she wasn't really trying to forge a more noble place in the world until she decided that maybe tagging along with a hero was what she needed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh im not saying she was morally particularly good but she was doing all right with keeping on the course of "don't turn into a monster that eats the flesh of humans not even because they need to but because they want to"

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I think it'll come to pass the "inherent nature" of characters like Cio and White Chain will actually be the forms they've come to take now rather than the expected nature of their races. It's not a case of fighting their nature, but what this society tells them their nature should be. Cio correctly notes this when talking about White Chain suppressing what she truely is, but misses the mark when describing herself because she assumes her true nature is what it was before.

I'd guess this is where this Abaddon post comes back into play. White Chain will never not be a Petal Knight. Same as Delicious said of herself, every reincarnation will eventually veer back to that same point unconsciously. Cio is just the latest personality this bit of black flame is wearing, but that personality doesn't have the same wants, desires and flaws as Yabalchoath. The only thing they share is a history and a need to keep their form coherent. Possibly by eating humans, but that's now a act beyond Cio's nature as Cio, even if it is an option given her nature as a devil.

That last sentence might be wrong as I could totally still see Cio eating someone if they were an antagonist, but she is clearly past eating her companions which Yabalchoath would have done happily.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

You can't keep calling Cio an addict unless you explain how "consuming human soul flames" is a disorder for devils. An addiction is not the same as a compulsion, which is not the same as a biological drive. Words have meaning.

While needing human soul flames to survive is a biological drive, saying that it can't also be an addiction is like an saying alcoholic isn't an addict since humans need to drink fluids to survive, therefore alcoholism is just a biological drive and also that there's no point in trying to fight it because you can't deny your nature.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Maduo posted:

I think it'll come to pass the "inherent nature" of characters like Cio and White Chain will actually be the forms they've come to take now rather than the expected nature of their races. It's not a case of fighting their nature, but what this society tells them their nature should be. Cio correctly notes this when talking about White Chain suppressing what she truely is, but misses the mark when describing herself because she assumes her true nature is what it was before.

I'd guess this is where this Abaddon post comes back into play. White Chain will never not be a Petal Knight. Same as Delicious said of herself, every reincarnation will eventually veer back to that same point unconsciously. Cio is just the latest personality this bit of black flame is wearing, but that personality doesn't have the same wants, desires and flaws as Yabalchoath. The only thing they share is a history and a need to keep their form coherent. Possibly by eating humans, but that's now a act beyond Cio's nature as Cio, even if it is an option given her nature as a devil.

That last sentence might be wrong as I could totally still see Cio eating someone if they were an antagonist, but she is clearly past eating her companions which Yabalchoath would have done happily.
Okay, yes, this words what I've been trying to say quite well.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think I understand what you getting at, but by using "person" and "human" interchangeably you are really confusing your point.

Like, in this one paragraph you've written that being a person is strictly a matter of being biologically human but also that psychopaths lack humanness despite being (biologically) human.

I get the impression that what you were trying to say was that Cio's mindset as a devil person is intrinsically different from that of a human person (in the say way a psychopathic human has a mindset that's different from a "typical" human), and some readers here have been playing down that difference. But, that isn't actually what you wrote.

I'm not trying to rag on you, or anything, I just want to point out why people are arguing past you.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 19, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
y'know what im still interested in? whether or not the devil 'caste system' (for lack of a better expression coming to mind) was deliberately designed in full or in part or if it was an entirely emergent property of masking the hot black flame

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

A.o.D. posted:

Remember that at the start of the story she was supporting herself by working as her husband's bookkeeper, who was in the business of flesh trading.
Not voluntarily.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

A.o.D. posted:

Remember that at the start of the story she was supporting herself by working as her husband's bookkeeper, who was in the business of flesh trading. So she wasn't really trying to forge a more noble place in the world until she decided that maybe tagging along with a hero was what she needed.

I didn't really get the sense that she'd opted for that job, as opposed to being forced into it by Praman Nand's power over her in her diminished state. Hence her initial interest in Allison -- having a friendly hero around means protection from her old husband/boss.

e:f,b

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Poltergrift posted:

I didn't really get the sense that she'd opted for that job, as opposed to being forced into it by Praman Nand's power over her in her diminished state. Hence her initial interest in Allison -- having a friendly hero around means protection from her old husband/boss.

e:f,b
Yeah, I get the impression he's quite upset she's NOT Yab, but he also wasn't going to ever let her leave, because she's all that remains of Yab.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What can change the nature of man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcAFTipVyWw&t=261s

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Was, uh, really expecting something more Planescape Torment related there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

shirts and skins posted:

Was, uh, really expecting something more Planescape Torment related there.

:thejoke:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

I wonder what Allison's roommates are up to

When she teleported the boat off Mottom's palace, I hoped she'd crashed it right into her old apartment building.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh okay, Dead Reckoning just doesn't consider non-human sophonts to "count" as people.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
More like Dead Racist.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

true leftist posted:

we get the best webcomic for ten years and i have to sit here and watch a loving pack of computer janitors joylessly debate their pointless interpretations of the fluff in an untiring effort to prove that these characters are not characters in the "shines a light on an aspect of human nature" sense, which is too close to literature and would frighten the nerds, but instead are a collection of computer models whose rules have been clearly delineated in an offsite manual so they can be fully comprehended and predicted without any risk of surprise, uncertainty or illumination

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I am excited to see where Cio goes as a character. :)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

Who cares if she's not human? A corpse is human, but it's not a person. Someone who has experienced brain dead isn't a person any more either, even if their heart still pumps and their lungs still breathe. Personhood is about being a distinct sapient entity, not about being a member of the home sapiens sapiens species.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
boy i sure hope abbadon is ok

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Bongo Bill posted:

Ah. I must have been remembering something else, then.

You were remembering normal everyday life conversations with people who don't play D&D or read K6BD, probably. :v:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
How did we go from "Cio has been kind of terrible to Allison so Allison putting down a hard line doesn't make Allison the worst ever" to "Cio isn't a person" :stonk:

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 20, 2018

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Some goons are kind of notoriously bad at nuance

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The best part is this isnt at all surprising coming from Dead Reckoning, who does this about every single topic and interprets things that happen in the real world the same exact way. Its not just him being bad at comics!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 20, 2018

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Some goons are kind of notoriously bad at nuanceeverything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Guys guys ok, in order to establish personhood for Cio once and for all Allison will have to totally redo the entire social order of Throne, shaping it into a liberal democracy. They we will see whether Cio and other devils are enfranchised to vote bing bong so simple