Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Never betray the law.

Laaaaaw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Never betray the law.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That line doesn't make any sense in-game, because you 100% play renegade cops. It's why the cop car shows up with the RPG attack for the bomb item. They are helping their fellow cops kill the mafias.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Also that is a screenshot of SoR2 with the car from SoR1.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Aramek posted:

That line doesn't make any sense in-game, because you 100% play renegade cops. It's why the cop car shows up with the RPG attack for the bomb item. They are helping their fellow cops kill the mafias.

Makes perfect sense. Axel and Blaze are ex-cops, and the big change from the first game was your old pals on the police force wouldn't help you any more.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tiggum shouldn't be allowed to have the same av as any other posters, it gets too confusing to constantly be like "what the fu... oh, it's just Tiggum posting again"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Same, but posting in the stilted, unfunny and witless wasteland of PYF.

Congrats you mastered it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Xen from Half-Life 1 was a cool, visually-distinct end to the game and wasn't hard at all. Did people just forget to do the Long Jump, a very complicated move that is based on ducking for a second before jumping?

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:45 on Feb 18, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

WampaLord posted:

Related to this is the idea that certain people are "criminals" and not just "normal people who have committed a crime"

Like a huge chunk of the population believes in the ideas of "criminals" who just live their lives by committing crimes at every possible chance they get, like comic book criminals. They're not stealing poo poo to survive, they just "commit crime"

Most criminals are not "stealing poo poo to survive", at least not in developed countries. Maybe in Trump USA it's different.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

doverhog posted:

Most criminals are not "stealing poo poo to survive", at least not in developed countries. Maybe in Trump USA it's different.

Do you think America’s horrendous poverty problem and related crime started with the Trump administration?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

No, but the fact he was elected shows just how hosed up the country is. A symbol, if you will.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Most criminals are not Jean Valjeans stealing bread for their starving family, but also they are not horrific cackling monsters who love crime

The issue is complex but yeah, most people who do crimes are relatively normal and could've done other stuff if not for things turning out a certain way. Doesn't mean they aren't responsible for their actions but yeah, there is a societal factor at work.

I would say the truth is in the middle but gently caress south park

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
46% of Americans that are in jail are there for drug crimes. The war on drugs is the reason so many Americans are in jail; not only because it criminalizes drug possession and use but because the penalties are often absurdly harsh.

It's actually really, really simple; most people in American prisons are not at all what you think of when you think "criminal." Most American prisoners are there for non-violent crimes.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Feb 18, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There is no free will. If I grew up in the same circumstances and went through the same life experiences as a serial rapist I'd probably commit the same crimes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If there is one thing I hate more than anything on these forums it's that people seem incapable of not attributing any moderate view on anything to loving South Park.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

There is no free will. If I grew up in the same circumstances and went through the same life experiences as a serial rapist I'd probably commit the same crimes.

Also importantly, if your babby brain was formed slightly wrong.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tiggum shouldn't be allowed to have the same av as any other posters, it gets too confusing to constantly be like "what the fu... oh, it's just Tiggum posting again"
I didn't pick it. And for just :10bux: you could solve the problem if you wanted. :shrug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

veni veni veni posted:

If there is one thing I hate more than anything on these forums it's that people seem incapable of not attributing any moderate view on anything to loving South Park.

That's fair but I'm a jew and I'm going to hold a forevergrudge on those assholes for introducing my generation to "jew" as a totally ironic non bigoted insult, lol so funny jews right?

Tiggum posted:

I didn't pick it. And for just :10bux: you could solve the problem if you wanted. :shrug:

I really would, but I paid my last utility bill in nickels and dimes so it would be really irresponsible to pay for strange foreigners' avatars on a (dead gay comedy) forum.

E: "Harpy" is a sexist term but I honestly can't think of another word for Megyn Kelly.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Feb 18, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I definitely think that people of color and leading women need more representation in Hollywood, but watching white people fall all over themselves to act like these comic book movies are mind blowing is just embarrassing to watch.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

steinrokkan posted:

"Mental illness" has been co-opted by the right as a dog whistle for "that guy was a freak, good thing we shot him" and as a way to obfuscate real systemic causes of criminality. Don't assume that just because somebody uses this phrase they have an ounce of empathy.

Speaking of which:

"Empathy" has become a meaningless buzzword due to massive overuse, and I'm willing to bet that; much like "irony/ironic" or "literally", the people who use these words the most don't actually know what they mean.

EDIT: I wasn't saying you didn't, Steinrokkan, but most assuredly my co-workers don't.

EDIT2: One of the said coworkers, who used to get OUTRAGED (TM) about the Australian penal system, demanding that all criminals should be immediately released back into society, did a 180 one day and demanded harsher sentences for felons. Why was this? A tweaker broke into his house and, accosted in the middle of raiding the house, tried to shiv my coworker.

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Feb 19, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SpaceX launching Musk's Tesla into orbit around the sun and RocketLab launching the Humanity Star are both cool and good.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Collateral Damage posted:

SpaceX launching Musk's Tesla into orbit around the sun and RocketLab launching the Humanity Star are both cool and good.

You're a bit late on this one, but I agree even though the first one was a little over the top in fishing for publicity (but I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily).

Also sic semper goon I think it's normal for someone to change their thoughts/behavior due to something like that happening, but they should at least be logical. Like when I caught someone trying to break in through a partially open window one night, I started not leaving my windows open/unlocked like I usually did. How would harsher sentencing have prevented that from happening? (that's rhetorical in case it wasn't clear that I think he's dumb)

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Also sic semper goon I think it's normal for someone to change their thoughts/behavior due to something like that happening, but they should at least be logical. Like when I caught someone trying to break in through a partially open window one night, I started not leaving my windows open/unlocked like I usually did. How would harsher sentencing have prevented that from happening? (that's rhetorical in case it wasn't clear that I think he's dumb)

Because the tweaker wouldn't have been free to smash the window and attempt to raid the house and shiv my co-worker if he was in prison for his previous crimes? (Which he found out, were quite extensive.)

Should we wish to live in a society of social darwinism; in which the state has and apparently should have nothing to do with protecting its citizens from the criminal element, in which only the most brutal and ruthless win out and it's the victim's fault for being robbed, as implied by your windows story? Would you argue that rape victims shouldn't be wearing those clothes, because they should have known it would have attracted rapists, so therefore...?

Personally, I just found it bemusing that he was indifferent to the suffering of others at the hands of our felons, until it happened to him. A very human moment.

(Especially as he had a very irritating "I'm 19 years old, and I know everything" smug and superior tone while lecturing the rest of the office about his outrage.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

People who don't eat their veg and like to advertise it like shunning a tomato was some kind of badge of honour almost always give off a strong aura of slimy :aatrek:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Because the tweaker wouldn't have been free to smash the window and attempt to raid the house and shiv my co-worker if he was in prison for his previous crimes? (Which he found out, were quite extensive.)

Well you left that part out. Just being a tweaker doesn't necessarily mean they're already a (convicted) felon. It still wouldn't have done anything if he was a first-time felon.

also it wasn't my fault someone tried to break in, neither is anyone who has any kind of crime committed against them (unless they do something like pay someone to stab them), I just made it unnecessarily easy for them to do so. I'm not going to be baited into arguing about rape - those are clearly different things and if someone really wants to rape they aren't going to be deterred by conservative clothing.

if you really need it broken down for you: thieves in general are looking for easy opportunities - unlocked or open windows/doors, nobody at home, no alarm system etc because all they want is money, not a struggle/fight. Sometimes they go against that but they are the exception. Rapists have very different motivations and I don't believe the clothing you wear has much of anything to do with them targeting you.

I mean, I'm all for stronger laws and penalties, my point was that his reasoning for wanting them is stupid. Society wouldn't instantly become safe and secure if all convicted felons were in prison permanently.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Feb 19, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought all Australians were technically living under a penal system anyway

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

46% of Americans that are in jail are there for drug crimes. The war on drugs is the reason so many Americans are in jail; not only because it criminalizes drug possession and use but because the penalties are often absurdly harsh.

that statistic is both a little misleading, as it refers only to federal prisons which are a smaller fraction of the total prison population which also typically house violators who've attracted the attention of federal bodies like the dea, and a little vague since it doesn't clarify the nature of the drug related offense whether it's mere possession, sketchier manufacturing or more serious trafficking

trafficking can get downright predatory in targeting vulnerable people like addicts or children with harder, more addictive substances that very few people would want legalization for anyway and are ultimately activities most would agree needs some punishment, and it doesn't list additional offenses like possessing a firearm on their person at the time of arrest which really spikes mandatory sentencing, nor does it mention the category of offense people are serving sentences for which distinguishes the various grades of criminality between first time offenders of small operations (and/or offenders with long but petty histories) and the highest category offenders, mostly made up criminals who were directly involved in the running of vast drug rings/criminal empires (people who face more charges at time of first arrest) or people with long histories of serious offenses, including unrelated but serious past offenses like manslaughter or sexual assault

according to data available in 2015 like 99.5% of federal prisoners serving time for drug offenses were directly involved in trafficking, with the vast majority of the trafficked drugs (~90%) being the hard stuff like cocaine, meth, heroin, etc with only a third of all those prisoners being classified at the lowest category of offense (tho a quarter of them also received additional firearms charges) with the bulk of the remaining prisoners being offenders of the highest magnitude placed in the higher categories of offense; conversely while there is still a sizable percentage of inmates serving time in state prisons just for drug related charges (like ~14% total population iirc) only around 3.5% were there for strictly possession, the rest for trafficking or manufacture

nonetheless reforming how the justice system handles narcotics would help alleviate the situation for tens of thousands of people so i'm personally supportive of it, i still don't think it's the silver bullet some people are looking for to fix the prison problem in america or massively downsize the number of people serving time for drug related charges, even when lesser crimes are forgiven there's stilll going to be a lot of people serving time for more serious drug-related offenses that the public may not be willing to forgive as much as they would the possession of drugs or even involvement in small-time nonviolent drug trafficking of softer narcotics - i've mentioned this before but one of the bigger underlying issue imho was the get tough on crime movements from earlier decades which arguably buckled under the pressure of the growing crime rate by enlarging all prison sentences, reducing prison quality and leaving no room for rehabilitation services or even any nuance or sophistication in evaluating individual circumstances, not to mention other issues like systemic discrimination which calls into question the validity of some sentencing

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Maybe we should do what we do with our labor and outsource our prison system. I'm sure we could find some countries who would house our prisoners for pennies on the dollar compared to what we spend.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe we should do what we do with our labor and outsource our prison system. I'm sure we could find some countries who would house our prisoners for pennies on the dollar compared to what we spend.

But then we wouldn't have a slave labor army making boxed furniture anymore.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

MLK Jr. was wrong. So was Gandhi. Life's too short to act passively im(unpopular)o.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Neither Gandhi, nor MLK were passive, though. The opposite of that, if anything. Passive resistance doesn't mean sitting on your rear end.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

Neither Gandhi, nor MLK were passive, though. The opposite of that, if anything. Passive resistance doesn't mean sitting on your rear end.

Bash the fash! gently caress nazis! Kill all pigs!

*never leaves gooncave*

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Using the word 'passive' was more a reflection of my mood at the time I typed that, I guess. Still though, non-violent protest gives me mixed feelings. I can see where it's been good, and on better days I'm sure I'll choose peaceful solutions over anything else, but I feel that it also creates an opening for abuse. It seems to me that in the end it's just more ammo for unscrupulous people in positions of power to use against the average person. Never mind incarceration, or loss of income, or social stigma, if you challenge authority to strongly you'll be doing something wrong and betraying the teachings of Great People in History.

:sigh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Using the word 'passive' was more a reflection of my mood at the time I typed that, I guess. Still though, non-violent protest gives me mixed feelings. I can see where it's been good, and on better days I'm sure I'll choose peaceful solutions over anything else, but I feel that it also creates an opening for abuse. It seems to me that in the end it's just more ammo for unscrupulous people in positions of power to use against the average person. Never mind incarceration, or loss of income, or social stigma, if you challenge authority to strongly you'll be doing something wrong and betraying the teachings of Great People in History.

:sigh:

Violent protest might be more direct, but you better have a huge backing for it that are just as devoted to it as you are before you start it. The reality is most people in the US are too complacent to risk giving up all they have for their ideals, no matter what ideals they are. The wannabe revolutionaries talk a big game on the internet but when it comes down to actually doing something the farthest they are willing to go is throwing pepsi cans or sucker-punching people and fleeing before the cops get them.

Non-violent protest is much slower and a lot of politicians will just ignore it, but it's at least possible to be annoying enough to force them to make some sort of compromise at least. If you go the violent route the only way you'll achieve your goals is if you depose and replace them which isn't a very realistic possibility in this country.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Langosta Whiteman posted:

MLK Jr. was wrong. So was Gandhi. Life's too short to act passively im(unpopular)o.

Both MLK and Gandhi never advocated for strict non-violence, their legacy is being specifically used to qwell any sort of effective resistance to the status quo. Both presented themselves as the alternative to a violent uprising and both worked with groups that did advocate for vioent action.

If there's one lesson from their life to be learned, it's that you should never make peace or compromise with your enemy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MizPiz posted:

Both MLK and Gandhi never advocated for strict non-violence, their legacy is being specifically used to qwell any sort of effective resistance to the status quo. Both presented themselves as the alternative to a violent uprising and both worked with groups that did advocate for vioent action.

If there's one lesson from their life to be learned, it's that you should never make peace or compromise with your enemy.

Also launch nukes asap.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MizPiz posted:

Something the modern Democratic Party has yet to pick up on.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

sassassin posted:

Also launch nukes asap.

Posadism is the only path to salvation for humanity

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Something the modern Democratic Party has yet to pick up on.

It seems like they tried it this past election and is the reason they lost. When you basically brand a huge portion of the country as racist uneducated morons you can't expect them to vote for you, even if it's a true statement. Nobody likes to be talked down to even if they deserve to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

It seems like they tried it this past election and is the reason they lost. When you basically brand a huge portion of the country as racist uneducated morons you can't expect them to vote for you, even if it's a true statement. Nobody likes to be talked down to even if they deserve to be.

Refusing to compromise with your enemy and labeling their supporters as morons are not the same thing. They lost because the Clinton team’s strategy was to pick up “moderate” Republicans who hate her guts and would rather stay home or hold their nose and vote for Trump than ever vote for her. This of course backfired, as none of those people voted for Clinton and a significant portion of those to her left stayed home.

And if you watch what happens in D.C., it’s very clear that the Republicans never compromise and the Democrats come to the negotiating table with the compromise as their first offer.