Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Are you still down on Colossal-----I give it a lot of points just for the gag of the battlefield being a literal playground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

White is alright because he's one of the few movie critics left. Most movie reviewers are critics like video game reviewers are critics. Like I don't always like or agree with him but at least he's actually loving engaging with the material.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also Anne Hathaway's character loving the goofy honky-tonk theme bar and absolutely not getting how deeply this hurts Jason Sudeikis' character is hilarious

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

White is alright because he's one of the few movie critics left. Most movie reviewers are critics like video game reviewers are critics. Like I don't always like or agree with him but at least he's actually loving engaging with the material.

This is such a scathing indictment of the state of film criticism that it actually made me sad. It's like the scene in the kids' sports movie when the only kid left to bat is the sorry nearsighted 90-pound geek who never hit the ball past the bases, but gosh darnit, he's trying.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Are you still down on Colossal-----I give it a lot of points just for the gag of the battlefield being a literal playground

I deduct points for the three-dimensionality of the playground equipment not being put to use in any of the relevant scenes!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

McSpanky posted:

This is such a scathing indictment of the state of film criticism that it actually made me sad. It's like the scene in the kids' sports movie when the only kid left to bat is the sorry nearsighted 90-pound geek who never hit the ball past the bases, but gosh darnit, he's trying.

It's more a scathing indictment of the state of film as a part of culture, honestly.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Both drone warfare and 9/11 allusions are in Black Panther. All is right in the world.

Also it's not surprising that limiting references to the rest of the MCU made the movie a lot more enjoyable to me. I enjoy it so much I'm skipping Infinity War.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The MSJ posted:

Both drone warfare and 9/11 allusions are in Black Panther. All is right in the world.

Also it's not surprising that limiting references to the rest of the MCU made the movie a lot more enjoyable to me. I enjoy it so much I'm skipping Infinity War.

I'm going to be pretty upset when the events of Black Panther don't end up having any real effect on the MCU's world, just like every other movie :/

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

S.J. posted:

I'm going to be pretty upset when the events of Black Panther don't end up having any real effect on the MCU's world, just like every other movie :/

You already know the answer to this, my mans.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jimbot posted:

You already know the answer to this, my mans.

I know. but still

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

sponges posted:

People leveled the same accusation against the Ghostbusters reboot.

And?

S.J. posted:

It barely has any effect on its own world.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm never getting tired of these.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 19, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Weekend estimates are in and Black Panther had the second biggest opening of all the MCU films at $192 million. Avengers made $207m its first weekend, Age of Ultron made $191m.

Edit: actually that's the second biggest opening of any superhero/comicbook film ever (unadjusted).
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=superhero.htm&sort=opengross&order=DESC&p=.htm

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 19, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Doesn't that mean Avengers still had the biggest? Or did it open Wednesday or something

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The MSJ posted:

I'm never getting tired of these.

I forgot about Barry face planting into Diana's chest. :(

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Scott Derrickson anthropomorphises corporations and ascribes them attributes they do not possess. He also completely fails to understand that a corporation contributing to the exploitation inherent to a capitalistic system cannot be moral. The worst part is that no one in the comments tries to point this out instead arguing about Ike Perlmutter. Neo-liberalism is still ascendant, no one can even conceive of a world without Marvel.

https://twitter.com/scottderrickson/status/965438232501497856

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Jutsuka posted:

Scott Derrickson anthropomorphises corporations and ascribes them attributes they do not possess. He also completely fails to understand that a corporation contributing to the exploitation inherent to a capitalistic system cannot be moral. The worst part is that no one in the comments tries to point this out instead arguing about Ike Perlmutter. Neo-liberalism is still ascendant, no one can even conceive of a world without Marvel.

To be posting this after the Northrop Grumman fiasko, holy poo poo.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I suppose he's kinda right. Disney's moral compass is solidly fixed to point towards "profit through cultural ownership."

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Jutsuka posted:

Marvel has a solid moral compass, says the director who was a-okay with whitewashing an Asian character for profit.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the fact that Black Panther was approved and released as it is is kinda wild for me. the fact that people are singing its praises as revolutionary or empowering is just proof that disney has discovered some sort of arcane cheat code that allows them to translate hype into reality. loving amazing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Doesn't that mean Avengers still had the biggest? Or did it open Wednesday or something

Yes, hence "Black Panther had the second biggest opening of all the MCU films"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But you edited that in later, and even say in the post that that's what your edit was!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But you edited that in later, and even say in the post that that's what your edit was!

No my post originally said "It's the 2nd biggest opening of all the MCU films" but then I edited it to add "Actually it's the 2nd biggest opening of all comicbook films"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Quite a few folk I follow on twitter who really liked Black Panther have been constantly annoyed by the response to the film. They take umbrage with the whole "cultural event" hype that surrounds the film and how some (or a lot, who knows) are acting like the film is something more than a popcorn blockbuster film, like it's going to solve racism or discrimination or something. They usually respond with "So, you're going to go out and support the cancelled comic so they continue to make more of it, right?"

More extreme fans are starting to tear down Wonder Woman to prop up the film and those fans are starting to get irritated at that too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jimbot posted:

They usually respond with "So, you're going to go out and support the cancelled comic so they continue to make more of it, right?"

When they polled the audiences for Wonder Woman they found that they were getting a whole lot of people who don't usually go to superhero movies and I'll bet that a pretty similar thing is happening with Black Panther. So of course all these people dipping their toe into the MCU starting at Black Panther won't give a poo poo about the comics, they're not comicbook nerds.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wasn't there some thing that showed comic book movies don't do gently caress all for comic book sales? They push trades fairly well, though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's basically impossible to make a dent on regular comic book sales because the distribution model is beyond broken into actively self-destructive.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

josh04 posted:

It's basically impossible to make a dent on regular comic book sales because the distribution model is beyond broken into actively self-destructive.

Also most cape comics are fuckin' terrible and the ones that aren't are still frequently afflicted with contact terribleness because ~shared universe~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

Yeah.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I know a few guys who are still massively in comicbooks (one even moved to the US to start a career in comics) and a few years back they stopped buying individual issues in lieu of waiting for the collected graphic novels to come out because :effort:. I think a few of them have given up on buying printed comics and just read everything online now.

If you can't keep the current comicbook fans buying individual hardcopy comics then good fuckin' luck convincing new guys to start.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The only good comic book is Sex Criminals.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

The only good comic book is Sex Criminals.

weird way to spell Squirrel Girl

(sex criminals is good too)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wasn't there some thing that showed comic book movies don't do gently caress all for comic book sales? They push trades fairly well, though.

For someone who is not familiar with comic books the whole enterprise must seem really strange. I'm watching the old Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies these days and thinking about the comic book industry makes me imagine the same kind of thing. Like hobby stores exclusively selling magazines for serial literary fiction. On the walls are polybagged issues of The Strand. "Oh sweet, that's the first appearance of Moriarty!" Readers of McSweeney's come into the shop to pick up each issue instead of having them delivered to their homes for some reason.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Or they can do it like you see in M, where a scruffy cockney woman comes to your door with a basket full of comics and proffers the new Archie/Batman crossover.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you can't keep the current comicbook fans buying individual hardcopy comics then good fuckin' luck convincing new guys to start.

Thing is, I've been buying single issues on and off for the last decade, but (as I understand it) because I don't preorder and I don't visit the same shop regularly and I fill in occasional issues I miss with eBay, I'm at best giving penny shavings to individual store owners, and at worst harming the industry as a whole by eating into the limited shelf-stock when I could be ordering in.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s ridiculous but unsurprising that people try to decipher White’s traumatic writing with wild theorizing, when the reviews themselves express clear and basic stuff like ‘Disney-Marvel marketing turns the black panthers into The Lion King’.

Like, hummm, durr, what does he really mean by that?

When you say his writing is traumatic, do you mean it causes trauma or was caused by trauma?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jeb! Repetition posted:

When you say his writing is traumatic, do you mean it causes trauma or was caused by trauma?

The former.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

It causes trauma alright.

Trauma to the brain.

Because it’s so bad.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

K. Waste posted:

The dastardly contrarian who thinks... wait... Edgar Wright movies are good! Oh, wait, uh... huh, oh! That The Help was bullshit! Nah, wait...

Yeah, in his Black Panther review he mentions and links to his glowing Creed review, which means given that movie's 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, all you need to have done is read the review we're supposedly talking about to be aware he's not a contrarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

sponges posted:

It causes trauma alright.

Trauma to the brain.

Because it’s so bad.

Bud I think Armond White is the precise definition of "a mixed bag" but pretending that he's beyond the pale because he liked Jack and Jill isn't very useful. The Big Bang Theory is a thing, it's not like humor and intelligence correspond.

Armond White is just a plain old weirdo with odd perspectives but at least he has watched a lot of film and looks at it beyond "made me laugh and feel good, five stars!" perspective.