Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Maybe in this volume, Leonid will get to do a thing? Maybe he'll become an actual character sometime in Volume 3 instead of just a walking viewpoint? Maybe things will be explained so I have a reason to care about what's happening in this book?

I'm in suspense! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's back, baby!

Remember milkshakes? I'm still steamed about a group of woman taking a photo together about a year ago. Frank gets me!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why are you giving him attention?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wrong thread

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You don't see mjs butthole that means he's a feminist now

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

You don't see mjs butthole that means he's a feminist now

And Spider-Gwen isn't popping in going "Outrage!!!!!!!"

Do people not realize he's on the same side as the Charlottesville sad boys and Parkland shooter?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I'm most offended by the mention of wheatcakes.

Is there a International House of Wheatcakes? NO. Eat a regular pancakes, Parker!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wait, wheatcakes aren't like rice cakes? They're pancakes???

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

They're like pancakes, but made with wheat flour and (traditionally) molasses.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Esplanade posted:

Yep.

But Jack's still the best.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

twistedmentat posted:

And Spider-Gwen isn't popping in going "Outrage!!!!!!!"

Do people not realize he's on the same side as the Charlottesville sad boys and Parkland shooter?

Hmm?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here, have Aunt May's wheatcake recipe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo that stove is HUGE

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think Aunt May uses that stove for more than just regular food...it's a man sized oven...do we know of any Spidey villains that mysteriously disappeared and never show up again after interacting with Aunt May?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The secret ingredient is clearly Pym Particles and she and Peter are shrinking

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Gatts posted:

I think Aunt May uses that stove for more than just regular food...it's a man sized oven...do we know of any Spidey villains that mysteriously disappeared and never show up again after interacting with Aunt May?

I mean. It's comic books. 'Never showing up again' doesn't really happen even if she did bake them into a pie.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Black panther movie was astounding, everyone go see it and don’t let anyone tell you they’re too good for it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gatts posted:

There's that time she went Arsenic and Old Lace on Chameleon when he pretended he was Peter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I kinda wish they didn't publish covers to far ahead of time, because one of those covers really makes it look like Voyager is behind, or at least in league with, who's behind everything. I mean, beyond the Grandmaster and Challanger.

Also, Rogue just killing Corvus Glaive, awesome.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Billzasilver posted:

Black panther movie was astounding, everyone go see it and don’t let anyone tell you they’re too good for it

Impossible to get decent seats anywhere in Toronto. I'll give it another try on Tuesday. Happy to hear it's at least competent.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of the movies, I got around to thor ragnarok finally and it was pretty good. definitely a different tone from the last two thor movies but I thought the comedy hit more than it missed

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Avenger 59: A new wasp themed antihero appears and demands to join the avengers. He tells them that he killed Hank Pym. Then he kidnaps the Wasp. Later, he threatens to hit her but relents so that he can instead kiss her against her will. She decides she likes it, so when the other Avengers show up to save her, she tells them they can’t hurt Yellowjacket, because she’s going to marry him.

Avengers 60: All the Avengers are mad about the marriage but love Janet so go along with her wishes. They say they can’t do anything about Yellowjacket killing Hank because there’s no body. Sue and Crystal are the bridesmaids because Janet has no friends. There are only superhero guests, and they all show up in costume. The Ringmaster and his circus buddies, who are the epitome of jobbers, decide this is a good opportunity to attack the Avengers (?????). In the ensuing beat down Yellowjacket starts growing and it turns out he’s wearing Goliath’s costume, because he’s actually Hank Pym! He has schizophrenia and didn’t realize he invented a new, fourth, alias for himself. Janet says she figured it out and that their marriage is totally legal no matter what alias he uses.

Thoughts: :wtf:

Hank Pym was loving crazy and on his way to unreedeemable well before he hits Janet. Roy Thomas is absolutely terrible at writing female characters in particular, but all characters in general. Avengers 60 is one of the most bonkers stories Marvel has put out. Hank is legit crazy and nobody seems to react to it. The story really presages how the Avengers will all act in Avengers 200 years later.

Spider-Man shows up to the wedding despite the fact wasps and spiders are natural enemies.

Buscema has some good rear end art though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Hank Pym has had a bonkers amount of "does something crazy that endangers the Avengers and has a meltdown" plots. The whole Yellowjacket thing is a completely ludicrous interlude and even weirder is that the Avengers just sort of shrug and go, "that's our Hank!".

The best part of Secret Empire was the interlude with Pym-Ultron, because honestly at this point that's the best status quo for the character. Also he's a genuinely cool villain.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 19, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

To be fair, they're really upset, they just don't do anything but gripe incessantly about it.

Granted, these are folks who forgave Jarvis instantly when he literally sold them out to vengeful villains for money because his mom was sick. Clearly there are no other choices he could have made! :raise:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Speaking of the slings and arrows of Hank Pym, here he is in West Coast Avengers getting dumped by Tigra:

Hilarious, and by this time they're really playing up the, "Hank is constantly on the verge of a nervous breakdown", thing to good effect, but drat what an ice cold way to dump someone. She doesn't even make a clean break, she's just like, "oh, I don't love you any more and I'd like to date other men, but stick around and we'll see what happens".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also featuring: bonus Patsy Walker being chauvinised by her husband. 1987 truly was a different time.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm reading early Roy Thomas Fantastic Four right now and Human Torch basically burned down Attlian when Crystal left him and that was before he found Quicksilver in her bedroom. Used to like Johnny, didn't know he went full psycho jock in the early stuff.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
Was I the only one who like the Hank Pym status quo circa Avengers Academy? I liked that he was fostering a new generation of heroes and teaching them to learn from his (many) mistakes. He acknowledged his failings and tried to learn from them and better himself. I also liked that he found happiness in a relationship with Tigra, even after her being in a relationship with a Skrull infiltrator disguised as him.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Android Blues posted:

Speaking of the slings and arrows of Hank Pym, here he is in West Coast Avengers getting dumped by Tigra:

Hilarious, and by this time they're really playing up the, "Hank is constantly on the verge of a nervous breakdown", thing to good effect, but drat what an ice cold way to dump someone. She doesn't even make a clean break, she's just like, "oh, I don't love you any more and I'd like to date other men, but stick around and we'll see what happens".

If memory serves, not long after this Hank Pym is about to commit suicide before Firebird stops him.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Everytime I hear somebody pine for the days of the old pre-Bendis Avengers status quo, including characters like Hank and Janet and poo poo like the Mansion, I just wonder fuckinh why.

I'm firmly in camp Justice League when it comes to the Avengers line-up - give me all the biggest, coolest superheroes that I like the most; I want Spidey, Thor, Tony and Logan hanging out. Nobody cares about fricking Jarvis, Goliath and Jack of Hearts apart from Kurt Busiek.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Nilbop posted:

Nobody cares about fricking Jarvis

Look at how wrong this guy is

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

"I don't care about this character so nobody does" is the BSS motto :v:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nilbop posted:

Everytime I hear somebody pine for the days of the old pre-Bendis Avengers status quo, including characters like Hank and Janet and poo poo like the Mansion, I just wonder fuckinh why.

I'm firmly in camp Justice League when it comes to the Avengers line-up - give me all the biggest, coolest superheroes that I like the most; I want Spidey, Thor, Tony and Logan hanging out. Nobody cares about fricking Jarvis, Goliath and Jack of Hearts apart from Kurt Busiek.

It's because the Avengers comics were at their best when that stuff was the status quo, from like, Stern Avengers to Busiek's run.

Billzasilver posted:

Everyone who liked BP the movie should read Panther's Rage

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm reading early Roy Thomas Fantastic Four right now and Human Torch basically burned down Attlian when Crystal left him and that was before he found Quicksilver in her bedroom. Used to like Johnny, didn't know he went full psycho jock in the early stuff.

Haven’t read it yet but my assumption is that if Thomas writes it (rather than adapting it from Howard) it’s just straight up garbage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nilbop posted:

Impossible to get decent seats anywhere in Toronto. I'll give it another try on Tuesday. Happy to hear it's at least competent.

Yonge and Eg was packed at 4, and when we got out there was a huge lineup for the next show.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Jordan7hm posted:

Haven’t read it yet but my assumption is that if Thomas writes it (rather than adapting it from Howard) it’s just straight up garbage.

Not 100% true, but his Fantastic Four was probably the nadir of when he started writing Marvel. I like his Golden Age stuff like Invaders and All-Star Squadron

Also I see you don't really like his Avengers run but I think Kree-Skrull War at least still holds up

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Creamfilled posted:

Was I the only one who like the Hank Pym status quo circa Avengers Academy? I liked that he was fostering a new generation of heroes and teaching them to learn from his (many) mistakes. He acknowledged his failings and tried to learn from them and better himself. I also liked that he found happiness in a relationship with Tigra, even after her being in a relationship with a Skrull infiltrator disguised as him.

I liked that whole era as well. Then Rage of Ultron & Avengers Arena happened. :smith:

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

Yvonmukluk posted:

I liked that whole era as well. Then Rage of Ultron & Avengers Arena happened. :smith:

The less said about that era the better (Mettle, no... :ohdear:) . Still, as a relatively new convert it taught me a useful lesson: don't get attached to new, teenage heroes. If Kamala Khan is still alive two years from now and hasn't been murdered in some tragic way to give Carol Danvers pathos then I'll be surprised.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Creamfilled posted:

The less said about that era the better (Mettle, no... :ohdear:) . Still, as a relatively new convert it taught me a useful lesson: don't get attached to new, teenage heroes. If Kamala Khan is still alive two years from now and hasn't been murdered in some tragic way to give Carol Danvers pathos then I'll be surprised.

This actually got me thinking that (Prime) Kamala Khan is one of the the "safest" characters in the Marvel Universe at this moment. Not getting attached to no-name teenaged heroes is a good policy though, especially if you ever intend to read New X-Men/Academy X. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nilbop posted:

I'm firmly in camp Justice League when it comes to the Avengers line-up -

Big heroes like Green Lantern, Cyborg and Martian Manhunter, instead of losers like Captain America, Hulk and Thor. (???)

• Locked thread