Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Female monk cpose is very much a ‘come at me bro’ thing and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Tell me about Healer jobs. I don't know which to pick--White Mage sounds awfully vanilla, but I'm not sure if Scholar is exciting either (though it seems you could specialize into Stand User Summoner instead--can you have both or are they mutually-exclusive?)

Also, do the expansion jobs require that I complete their respective MSQs, or can I do their quests once I hit the required level?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

WHM is the best job in the game; You can have both scholar and summoner. HW jobs require you enter Ishgard (50+ and all quests from 2.*), SB jobs require only reaching level 50 because the job quests start in Uldah.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Not sure what you mean by exclusive. You can be any role on the same character, jut not at the same time for obvious reasons. Both Scholar and Summoner use summons, both can heal, both use dots to damage enemies - one is just way more specialized into damage, and the other into healing. As with all other jobs, just switch your job stone to switch between them.

The Heavensward jobs require you to clear the ARR story first, because their "guild masters" so to say are located in Ishgard, which you can only access through story progress. The job NPCs for the SB expansion are both in Ul'dah, as far as i know. Or at least the unlock quests start there.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Shy posted:

WHM is the best job in the game; You can have both scholar and summoner. HW jobs require you enter Ishgard (50+ and all quests from 2.*), SB jobs require only reaching level 50 because the job quests start in Uldah.

What do you mean WHM is the best? I'm interested now...

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

It's very simple to play, has the strongest healing spells, great mana recovery, and holy is one of the most impressive aoe damage abilities, basically you chain stun packs of enemies into submission and eventual death.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Sometimes I think about leveling another job and then I think what's the point.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I went through ARR and half of HW as WHM, and leveled SCH to 70 in SB. I should probably get around to getting WHM its last 12 levels one of these days.

A properly-played WHM is a beast in 4-mans and can out-DPS even the DPS in duty finder. Holy is a tremendous spell and you get it at level 45 so you have the ability to wreck poo poo in level 50 dungeons that other healers don't have.

SCH's heals aren't as big as WHM's, since they focus on shields. SCH is about preventing damage from happening rather than healing it after the fact. They have a few extra tactical options, such as a crit-rate buff that can be used against a single enemy (i.e. a boss), a delayed heal that activates once the target gets below 50% hp and they have a fairy, which can operate either independently or under your control. Fairies not only automatically heal people with a standard heal spell, but can bring buffs, depending on which you're using. SCH can also convert their shields into more healing if need be. SCH damage comes from its Arcanist abilities such as Shadow Flare, Miasma and Bio, Bane, and Energy Drain. There's no outright AOE damage spell like Holy, but you can inflict Bio and Miasma dots on a single enemy, and spread them around with Bane. Every spell you use that takes an Aetherflow charge gives you fairy gauge points, which can be converted into a constant stream of healing onto a single target (this prevents your fairy from doing anything else for a time, however).

If you unlock SCH, the XP you gain goes toward your Arcanist level, meaning, once you equip a summoner job stone, your level will be the same. I leveled SCH to 70 before unlocking SMN, for example, so I have a level 70 SMN but I have to go through all the job quests to get abilities and spells.

AST I haven't leveled as high, but they have stances, Diurnal or Nocturnal, which mean some of their abilities give regen ticks, like a WHM, or shields like a SCH, plus AST has the cards, which grant a variety of buffs. AST get a few spells that deal damage, including an AOE called Gravity, but it doesn't stun like Holy does and you get it after level 50, so syncing to 50 in the 50/60 DR feels a little weak.

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist
I did just get Holy as WHM (level 45), but I'm running dry really quick. What are these great mana-recovery methods you speak of?

As 60 SCH, I never have trouble (but also no Holy to spend it on). That said, I find the Aetherflow mechanic more interesting than the classic caster WHM so far. Another advantage is that you get two two jobs (SMN + SCH) for the grind of one.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

y_y posted:

I did just get Holy as WHM (level 45), but I'm running dry really quick. What are these great mana-recovery methods you speak of?

Lucid Dreaming (24), Assize (56), Thin Air (62)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

y_y posted:

As 60 SCH, I never have trouble (but also no Holy to spend it on). That said, I find the Aetherflow mechanic more interesting than the classic caster WHM so far. Another advantage is that you get two two jobs (SMN + SCH) for the grind of one.

You have the role action Lucid Dreaming, and you also get Assize which is an all-in-one aoe damage/heal/mp recovery ability, and Thin Air, which makes your spells cost nothing for a while. Has synergy with Presence of Mind allowing you to spam more spells in that window. On bosses the combo allows you to spam expensive Medica I/II and Cure 3s to rapidly recover from strong unavoidable raid-wide damage, and on trash it makes your initial holy spam relatively fast and free.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Schneider Heim posted:

What do you mean WHM is the best? I'm interested now...

WHM potencies are so, so beefy, with lots of free (as in zero mana cost) oGCD healing, combined with the ability to switch into straight throughput when needed that the other jobs can't put a candle to.

In short, it is so good at healing that most of the time, you should be DPSing instead, because a single spell or utility button will fix whoever it is that needs the healing.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

y_y posted:

As 60 SCH, I never have trouble (but also no Holy to spend it on).

You do have a holy to spend it on. Miasma II does does 100 initial potency, so it's well worth spamming when there are several targets for it to hit.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wait, I thought Miasma II was "initial hit + 1 tick"?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
100 potency a mob is only 10 potency less than PLD aoe so a casual guess is anything with 3+ mobs just spamming it is a dps gain over anything else you can do

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012
So what are the chances of me getting a small plot in Lavender Beds if I log on at 5am tomorrow morning?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Excal? Probably good enough but waste no time.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Miasma 2 is a dps gain over Broil 2 at 3 targets if you spam it and 2 targets if you let it tick. It's also instant so you can weave in Lustrate and Excog easily.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

WrightOfWay posted:

Miasma 2 is a dps gain over Broil 2 at 3 targets if you spam it and 2 targets if you let it tick. It's also instant so you can weave in Lustrate and Excog easily.

Thank you, that's what I thought I remembered.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not sure I would call Physick from a SMN healing...

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

is fat chocobo a special breed or overfed?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yes.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Shy posted:

is fat chocobo a special breed or overfed?

Is it just me or is the Fat Chocobo kind of tasteless? I mean, it's animated like it's constantly out of breath as you lead it around with food on a string.

Like, I guess making "it's funny because it's fat lolololo" the joke just seems dated and offensive with the kind of political incorrectness that only eastern devs seem capable of conjuring up. I'm not trying to be a social justice warrior or anything, honestly. I'm usually the last person to blow the whistle on this kind of thing. Guess it just really rubbed me the wrong way after I first used it and ran around on it a bit.

Not even all that fat irl.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I hear in the original Japanese it's called "American Chocobo".

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

DizzyBum posted:

Is it just me or is the Fat Chocobo kind of tasteless? I mean, it's animated like it's constantly out of breath as you lead it around with food on a string.

Like, I guess making "it's funny because it's fat lolololo" the joke just seems dated and offensive with the kind of political incorrectness that only eastern devs seem capable of conjuring up. I'm not trying to be a social justice warrior or anything, honestly. I'm usually the last person to blow the whistle on this kind of thing. Guess it just really rubbed me the wrong way after I first used it and ran around on it a bit.

Did fat Drake trigger you in Uncharted? Did Fat Princess give you an aneurysm by existing?

To be clear, it is funny, because you tempt it to fly with cake. It is indeed funny because it's fat.

Saint Freak posted:

Lol

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 19, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

It's animated like that because it tries to catch the food in front of it, otherwise it depends on my original very important question.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm glad people still fall for the classics.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I find Fat Chocobo more endearing than funny, personally, nor have I ever interpreted the way it's portrayed as intending to be offensive.

Saint Freak posted:

:golfclap:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm glad people still fall for the classics.

gently caress I read too much of the gaming journalism thread, nothing is too Poe's Law

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure there's some kind of brain parasite that lives inside the Paladin job stone making everyone who equips it a loving idiot

This was after he stopped tanking Kefka because he got flattened 3 times in a row by the tank buster

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Lol

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bolow posted:

I'm pretty sure there's some kind of brain parasite that lives inside the Paladin job stone making everyone who equips it a loving idiot

Um, excuse YOU.

I don't need to have my Paladin job stone to be a loving idiot as my rap sheet clearly shows. :colbert:

Bolow posted:

This was after he stopped tanking Kefka because he got flattened 3 times in a row by the tank buster

How many vuln stacks can you get altogether? How are they still alive?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Bolow posted:

I'm unfamiliar with PLD. That's not Sword Oath on his status bar, is it?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The only thing that Kefka does that does any meaningful damage is the tank buster and even that isn't so bad.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

lol

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

MelvinBison posted:

I'm unfamiliar with PLD. That's not Sword Oath on his status bar, is it?

That's sword oath. Shield oath is yellow.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How many vuln stacks can you get altogether? How are they still alive?

Some healers just haven't learned not to care about idiots.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

As an overweight person who gets his fair share of crap for his weight I don’t really think the kind of stuff they do with the Fat Chocobo or other animals is really in the same league as the poo poo that overweight human characters get. It’s harmless.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Careless Paladin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Brainamp posted:

That's sword oath. Shield oath is yellow.

Some healers just haven't learned not to care about idiots.
That's what I thought. :negative:

Is there ever a reason to have Sword Oath on your bar?