Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
ISS Bloodwolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Also Jupiter v1, if anything, feels more appropriate to the Trek aesthetic given that it looks like a goddang cruise ship

Isn't there a STO ship that's literally just a Risa cruise ship with some nacelles on it?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I demand a ship that consists of a centrally located, heavily shielded engineering section, and, like, 12 nacelles.

And racing stripes on said nacelles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Isn't there a STO ship that's literally just a Risa cruise ship with some nacelles on it?

Yep, you can paint it whatever garish colours you want and it has a dome in the back with a beach in it, it's awesome.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gonz posted:

I demand a ship that consists of a centrally located, heavily shielded engineering section, and, like, 12 nacelles.

And racing stripes on said nacelles.

The USS George Washington.

I hear, motherfucker had like, 30 goddamn nacelles.

Also against my better judgement I installed STO. The lack of first person alone is a major drag.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The best part of STO is kitbashing the new ships you get as you level up. Once you hit max level it’s kind of a drag, although the missions get more bizarre.

I just fought against Sphere Builders, Krenim, and Terrans with the timeships from Voyager at that battle where Enterprise introduces the Enterprise-J. Then I boarded the J with Captain Chekov (who’s apparently a “Temporal Agent”) and Relics-era Scotty (I’m almost certain he was voiced by Dee Bradley Baker) appeared out of nowhere because Chekov left a temporal beacon somewhere. This led to a battle with Terran Admiral Leeta who hosed off when Daniels (who died in the mission prior) reappeared.

It is bonkers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Astroman posted:

The USS George Washington.

I hear, motherfucker had like, 30 goddamn nacelles.

2,000 feet long; made of radiation.

It’ll save children, but not the Klingon children.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I also forgot that the Tox Uthat from the TNG Risa episode is a major macguffin for like ten missions and Future Guy from Enterprise is revealed to be a Krenim dude who wants revenge because a mission led by Captain Nog accidentally erased his alien wife’s entire species from history.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Relics-era Scotty (I’m almost certain he was voiced by Dee Bradley Baker)

It's Doohan's son, actually, who seems to have made a career out of impersonating his father.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Captain Nog sure has some egg on his face.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Captain Nog sure has some egg on his face.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I hate all the video game ships lol

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

It's Doohan's son, actually, who seems to have made a career out of impersonating his father.

I thought that was him. I also clocked his fellow Star Trek Continues star Vic Migongna as Captain Not Kirk in the first mission.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

Or the addendum to the rule: If you’re Harry Kim, no sex.

That needs a rule?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Astroman posted:

I thought that was him. I also clocked his fellow Star Trek Continues star Vic Migongna as Captain Not Kirk in the first mission.

Huh. That's actually... kind of cool?

I was surprised by how much I actually liked Continues (and especially how it ended :unsmith:)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I watched Vanishing Point last night on the basis that it at least sounded interesting, if a bit derivative of older Trek episodes.

Jesus Christ, Enterprise could not get more bland if it tried. Everything is so flat and lifeless, from the visuals to the (Berman-mandated) shite score, the performances of the actors, the execution of the story itself...

Everyone involved just seems bored.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's one of the best Enterprise episodes for utter worthlessness. None of it happened! Yay! And it didn't happen to Hoshi, who up to that point was known for handling stress badly and befriending a slug.

I remember reading reviews years ago which had a sidebar detailing how completely useless and squandered Hoshi was in each episode.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's one of the best Enterprise episodes for utter worthlessness. None of it happened! Yay! And it didn't happen to Hoshi, who up to that point was known for handling stress badly and befriending a slug.

I remember reading reviews years ago which had a sidebar detailing how completely useless and squandered Hoshi was in each episode.

I wanted to like Hoshi so badly on Enterprise, but then it sank in: she was Enterprise's Troi, and possibly even less useful.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, Hoshi should have been pretty cool. But then they obsoleted her in the very first season by bringing in the universal translator.

Gecko Hoshi, best Hoshi?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I couldn't bear Enterprise season 1, and watched episodes of season 2 as goons recommended season 3 so I had to get some setup.

What's the pilot called? Cause all I remember about him from season 3 is that he concentrated really hard on pushing the buttons and didn't do much else.

He makes Harry Kim look well-written.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I couldn't bear Enterprise season 1, and watched episodes of season 2 as goons recommended season 3 so I had to get some setup.

What's the pilot called? Cause all I remember about him from season 3 is that he concentrated really hard on pushing the buttons and didn't do much else.

Mayweather. He was also born in space! This is the only other aspect of his character.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Enterprise was just white people in space and their black driver

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Travis has such big biceps so he doesn't masturbate all the time.

I wish I was kidding.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

skasion posted:

Mayweather. He was also born in space! This is the only other aspect of his character.

The one space freighter episode made it clear that he COULD be an awesome character. The episode sucked, but when you see the bullshit he grew up dealing with, Enterprise looks like a drat cruise ship. He should have been the Spacer; able to deal with the poo poo thrown at him even if it seems to be beyond the scope of his duty, constantly making everyone else feel kind of soft in comparison, because they went from an officer's school to a comfy chair in an FTL vessel with gravity plating. That motherfucker should have been the first out of his chair and clambering up a Jefferies tube when poo poo hit the fan. He should have been patching hull breaches with gravitic duct tape when everyone else was having panic attacks. In short, he should have ended up captain when it was clear Archer was a turd laid by nepotism.

I mean when you think about it, this was a merchant navy seaman from the age of sail getting plonked down on a nuclear-powered destroyer. The sea is just a rough lover to a motherfucker like that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What was Archer supposed to be good at again?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Arglebargle III posted:

Flouting, I think.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Archer is pretty great at getting beat up or captured, often at the same time.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The pilot was called Broken Bow.

Oh, the guy that drives the ship? I don't think I was ever able to remember that, OP.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Flouting, I think.

No Picard was the flautist.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

Water polo commentary.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Being an ambassador of humanity to the galaxy by merely using his magical dog ownership powers. The power to own the dog was magical; it wasn't a magical dog. And owning a dog doesn't require magical powers, but when you own one as hard as Archer did, it's magical.

He was the best at that. Owning a dog, I mean. And, Dr. Flox even took notice of it that one time.

I like to imagine that in shows like this, we only see some of their adventures--a slice of life, as it were. A lot happens between the episodes. And, over course of the adventures of the NX-01, aliens took note of his interactions with Yappy the Wonder Mutt (that was its name, right?), and they saw that it was good, and that's why so is humanity.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 19, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

tarlibone posted:

The power to own the dog was magical; it wasn't a magical dog.

That dog lived to be over 100 human years old and didn't die until Scotty tried to teleport it to another planet. So I'd call that dog magical.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
As underutilized as Mayweather was, I do like the two (?) episodes featuring his family on the merchant ship. It’s the kind of interesting bare-bones pioneer stuff Enterprise should have done instead of the Temporal Cold War or the Xindi or the billionth “Archer and/or Trip gets captured and has to escape” episode.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Plus Mayweather's family's ship was the ship that caused the planet in A Piece of the Action to become a gangster planet. Well, maybe not, but in A Piece of the Action, we learn that what caused them to become a gangster planet was a visit by a ship called the Horizon, which left a book called "Chicago Mobs of the Twenties", and the art department stuck a copy of the book on the bookshelf of Mayweather's childhood bedroom.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Also, something about hauling tribbles.

Hell, maybe their descendants were killed in the Great Tribble Hunt.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hauled away as tribbles

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Remember that comic that some of us posted here, Mirror Broken? About the adventures of Mirror Captain Picard, who wound up stealing a roided-up mirror Galaxy class ship and gathering a bunch of broken losers to become his Enterprise crew?

Seems like IDW (the publisher of that comic) felt it sold well enough to do a followup..

http://www.startrek.com/article/tng-mirror-saga-through-the-mirror-out-in-may

Picard vs. Goatee Picard! Who will win?!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 20, 2018

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Epicurius posted:

Plus Mayweather's family's ship was the ship that caused the planet in A Piece of the Action to become a gangster planet. Well, maybe not, but in A Piece of the Action, we learn that what caused them to become a gangster planet was a visit by a ship called the Horizon, which left a book called "Chicago Mobs of the Twenties", and the art department stuck a copy of the book on the bookshelf of Mayweather's childhood bedroom.

Amazing

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Naturally Mirror Picard will win, because he's everything Patrick Stewart wishes he could have been in TNG scripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Mirror Picard is going to get prime Picard in a wicked sweet headlock and make him check out his killer biceps. “I’ve been cultivating mass, what have you been doing in this soft jabroni universe?”*

*Original idea by Mac, do not steal