Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I just played through and beat Wheels of Lhull. As a Morrowind fan, I really enjoyed the story and thought the art direction was awesome. The voice acting was generally pretty good too, with the very notable exception of Yagrum Bagarn . Perhaps that was an intentional decision, given the nature of the character, but it was notably jarring.

As for the gameplay: Despite having played PC games for longer than I'd like to admit, my first console was an Xbox 360, and I've never played a Mario or Zelda game. I am guessing that a lot of the gameplay sections were inspired by older Nintendo or Super Nintendo games. Perhaps the engine isn't well suited for it, although I will give the mod author credit for seeming to implement a lot of things I haven't seen in Skyrim before, but generally I didn't like the game play-especially the bits with mazes or having to run across gears with moving pipes and traps all around. I'm not embarrassed to admit I bypassed a lot of that with noclip and god modes. Some of the boss fights had neat ideas, but some of them required repetition of the same trick way too much. Blasting monsters over the edge with that shield was fun, but again those gameplay sections went on too long.

Even though large parts of the gameplay weren't too my liking, the author obviously put a lot of effort into and the design is impressive.

Overall, I'm really glad I played it and am looking forward to checking out Trainwiz's other work.

prometheusbound2 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

All of TrainWiz's stuff is Flawed Greatness. There's always some parts that just don't work as well as you'd hope, but the whole is so great it can be forgiven.

Edit: If you're on Oldrim, play Lost Wonders of Mzark and Brhuce Hammar: Legacy. Neither has been ported to SE yet, and they're both wonderful.

Fyr Manor (TrainWiz's house mod) is fantastic too, and I'm currently testing my personally converted version for SE, which is my Personal Use folder.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 19, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Can't believe I installed 100+ mods at once on a fresh Oldrim install and I'm getting poor performance, how did that happen? Mystery

Joking aside I'm assuming it's either conflicting graphics mods or too many scripts running. For the former i guess I just have to disable them a few at a time. Any way to check the latter directly?

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 19, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Can't believe I installed 100+ mods at once on a fresh Oldrim install and I'm getting poor performance, how did that happen? Mystery

Joking aside I'm assuming it's either conflicting graphics mods or too many scripts running. For the former i guess I just have to disable them a few at a time. Any way to check the latter directly?

Did you use TES5Edit to clean everything?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah, did the usual TES5Edit/LOOT/Wrye Bash dance. I'll post my modlist when I get home, there's probably some outdated stuff and/or fat that can be trimmed

VV yeah I think I might bin LotD for now. Seems like a mod to keep for an otherwise minimal setup or for when I finally get SSE. Also just realised I might not have installed the memory fix properly since I'm using MO

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 19, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Convenient Horses, of all things, has a Script Latency Check function.

Also if you're using legacy of the dragonborn, LOL, that would drop my oldrim FPS by 10 just having it installed.

Also make sure you're using the SKSE memory fix.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I get the strangest crashes sometimes. I'll randomly crash once I go to a certain spot and its repeatable, but if I approach from a different angle, all is fine.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Managed to get everything behaving itself with a bit of tweaking, mostly ini stuff that I'd forgotten to do through Mod Organizer. Everything's perfect now except my outside LODs are weird and ugly and occasionally, uh, purple triangles.

e: ok now it's just distant water that kind of looks like a distractingly ugly pale blue smear but whatever I'm not expecting miracles here

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 19, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Spent quite a bit dicking around with various melee options only to roll a mage, then LAL's prison start exits you right outside Fort Amol next to the Bound Bow book and...goddamnit. I'm rolling another loving archer, aren't I? Piss.

I wish the melee combat in this game wasn't so janky.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Vasudus posted:

Spent quite a bit dicking around with various melee options only to roll a mage, then LAL's prison start exits you right outside Fort Amol next to the Bound Bow book and...goddamnit. I'm rolling another loving archer, aren't I? Piss.

Don't worry, whatever character you rolled is likely an excellent stealth archer

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Vasudus posted:

I didn't know about it until Melth's LP pointed it out but holy gently caress is Bound Bow broken. It's my #2 form of offense on a mage with ~30 Archery, ~40 Conjuration and ~75 Destruction. I can only imagine the kinds of things I'd be one-shotting if I focused on it.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

oldskool posted:

I didn't know about it until Melth's LP pointed it out but holy gently caress is Bound Bow broken. It's my #2 form of offense on a mage with ~30 Archery, ~40 Conjuration and ~75 Destruction. I can only imagine the kinds of things I'd be one-shotting if I focused on it.

Conjuration is my favourite school in Skyrim and Oblivion by a mile but bound weapons make it even more powerful and fun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Psion posted:

Don't worry, whatever character you rolled is likely an excellent stealth archer

The farthest I've ever got in the main plot was with a 2 handed weapon/heavy armor using character. There's an odd a satisfaction in just smacking a draugh in the face with a giant sword.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I actually found I enjoy using followers with two-handed weapons and watching them do their thing is even more fun than doing it myself. It's absolutely amazing watching Jordis grab a bandit around the back of the head with her battleaxe handle and repeatedly powerheadbutt them until their brains are all over her face

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Playing a two handed weapon using Orc with Imperious installed is ludicrous amounts of fun.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
The Dwemer Storage Cube mod is pretty great.

A portable "house" in your inventory. Using it teleports you inside the cube which has all the crafting stations and storage options.

Seemed a bit OP to me so I left 50k gold where I found it as "payment".

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong...I'm trying to eliminate dungeon fog, and the current Nexus options haven't worked for me so far. So I made my own with replacing the relevant meshes with a dummy nif, and yet I still get the in-my-face fog in-game. It worked in oldrim, running the oldrim mod through the Nif Optimizer didn't work either. I've looked up the cell I'm in with the Creation Kit, and the only fog meshes are the ones my mod-attempt have changed so I don't know why it's not working.

I just wanna be able to see what I'm trying to shoot at on the other side of the dungeon because I will forever be a stealth archer. I increase the navmesh distance so I can do outdoor sniping from half a mile away.

And while I've never used the Dwemer Storage Cube mod, my go-to for portable house has been Haven Bag.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

taiyoko posted:

my go-to for portable house has been Haven Bag.

Same, Haven Bag is hands down one of my favorite mods. Giant, sprawling fortresses with specialized workshops squirreled away in every nook and cranny may look cool, but nothing beats the convenience of a giant magical sack that you can throw all your poo poo into and do everything in one spot.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I had an idea for a portable house mod: A short mission after obtaining Azura's Star that unlocks the ability for you travel in/out at will and purchase things like crafting stations and mannequins. The big novelty being a cage at the center which contains the enemy whose soul is currently captured in the star.

I did a search and someone has beaten me to the "Home inside Azura's Star" thing: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25288/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What are some fun Ordinator builds? I've mostly played with SPERG before now, usually magic-heavy, so I was thinking sword and board with heavy armour and Thunderchild shouts but at a quick glance the perks don't look too exciting so all of a sudden im thinking of adding some sneaking and ranged abilities and we all know where this is going

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What are some fun Ordinator builds? I've mostly played with SPERG before now, usually magic-heavy, so I was thinking sword and board with heavy armour and Thunderchild shouts but at a quick glance the perks don't look too exciting so all of a sudden im thinking of adding some sneaking and ranged abilities and we all know where this is going

Im going with necromaner this time, something Ive never done before.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There's some fun stuff for spellsword types in Alteration and Enchanting, as I recall. The shout perks in Speech are probably essential for this too, at least the early one that heals you based on the power of a shout you use.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Spellsword might be a shout, could work well with wintermyst for full EnaiaiSialon

Also uhh

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Spellsword might be a shout, could work well with wintermyst for full EnaiaiSialon

Also uhh

:randpop:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Thunderchild Shouts, Speech Tree, Summermyst enchants.. Seriously, this build your shout cooldowns are like, non existent.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Are texture packs compatible with the special edition? Tryna get my Noble on

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

does anyone have any thots on Zim's Immersive Artifacts? Is there a better mod that does similar things? I like unique items to actually be useful but I have no idea

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/81036/

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Sacrosanct has been updated btw. It's been real fun thus far.

Zimm's is awesome

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

tl;dr: Resto +Alt + Ench spell sword. Dumping stats into Magicka if you're a badass like me. Non-Destruction damage spell sword.

So first, the most important parts of the build are having CCO, Summermyst, and Apocalypse (and the raptor feet and BAT mods if you play an argonian, which you totally should, and you should also have all different colors on your argonians face and have Rainbow somewhere in his or her name.) Dumping all stats into magicka makes your spells take care of all offense and defense for you. Focus on getting the Tree Rings and Ocato's Recital spells, the Spirit Tutors perk, and the enchants Heal and Power Surge above all else.

Alteration is great for traveling spells and perks, and also your spell sword extras. Home Mythal + Dimension Door are awesome when you have a good permanent place for crafting and storage. You'll naturally want to get your spell sword perks, also the passive boots to magicka and resistances. Vancian Magic is interesting and still makes use of your magicka pool, even if it makes casting free.

Restoration is your damage and survivability. False Light is what I use, and with that branch and the Spirit Tutor branch you'll have exceptionally powerful offensive spells. Heal Other will be the majority of your damage. Tree Rings is your major survivability so make sure to keep it up in long fights. The duration will increase in your magic effects menu, but it will always last 30 seconds.

Enchanting is where you'll get buffs and Spellscribe. Make weapons with either Heal + nothing else, or Power Surge + anything but Heal. Reason being, False Light will let you deal out tons of damage from Heal (like 500k mid game), but will also reverse any other effect you combine with Heal. Heal + damage will turn into damage + healing on enemies, Heal + %effect will become damage + -%effect on enemies. Power Surge works best with Power of Knowledge and is typically what I use.

Everything else is to taste. Power Surge plus Apotheosis is hilariously powerful when combined with the Crusader stuff on the branch to the right. Add Spellscribe with Repel Undead and you trivialize fights with undead by way of burning them to ash while they run from you. The DoTs and buffs/debuffs scale with resto, again making stat dumping into your blue bar a worthwhile choice. Alchemy is pretty op, and will make you a god, so avoid it.

Stay safe, marsh friend.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fuligin posted:

Are texture packs compatible with the special edition? Tryna get my Noble on

Yes! Be sure to grab the SE patch on the Noble Skyrim page, as well as the SMIM patch. Also, in like the last few pages:

Agents are GO! posted:

I actually have a section on that in the revised OP I keep putting off posting, but the tldr of it is: Mods that add loose-file textures or sounds should work perfectly, mods that add NIF files or have their files in BSAs will need some work. BSAs will need to be unpacked, nifs will need to be run through the Skyrim NIF optimizer, and ESP/ESM files will need to be loaded into the new creation kit and re-saved.

Edit: NIFs means "any 3D model" just to be clear.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

does anyone have any thots on Zim's Immersive Artifacts? Is there a better mod that does similar things? I like unique items to actually be useful but I have no idea

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/81036/

Been playing with Zim's and it's great, highly recommend it.

The Galudar Amulet for example is the end reward after a very long quest chain that involves searching for amulets and clearing a bunch of dungeons. In the base game it gives a measly +50 to Health/Magica/Stamina which is usually useless by the time you get there.

Zim changed it to be "+10% to all skill levels and skills grow 10% faster" which is loving incredible at any point in the game and a worthy reward for such a long quest.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 21, 2018

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I found this dude on Nexus, now I am going to make my Skyrim the most anime battles ever

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/users/1034867?tab=user+files

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Langosta Whiteman posted:

tl;dr: Resto +Alt + Ench spell sword. Dumping stats into Magicka if you're a badass like me. Non-Destruction damage spell sword.

Stay safe, marsh friend.

I've really wanted to do a paladin build with ortinator and this might be what I base it on when I reinstall next.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Oh my god, switch to skyrim special edition for that guy I linked. The creation club skills are amazing

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS21lzl-HQY

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I get the idea this guy doesn't like the creation club...

:thunk:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Im gonna summon CC Thor to smite all my enemies

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Drythe posted:

I found this dude on Nexus, now I am going to make my Skyrim the most anime battles ever

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/users/1034867?tab=user+files

No loving joke I had a fever dream about something like this only a week ago.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Today I learned FNIS background scans your computer for Mod Drop and refuses to work if you have it installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Since I'm thinking about installing skyrim again ( :negative: ) what are the ENBs/Reshades/whatever of choice for special edition? I realize people will say "Use Imaginator" but I've never been able to get any sort of Imaginator setting looking good.