Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm about two months in. I'm not trying to say I'm a pro player. But I follow the big robots on pushes and kill poo poo. Playing a with a solid group sounds great though.
The new player thing is to get an idea of what tier you are in. The tiers are basically a way to tell how many games you have played. It takes being truly terrible to go down a tier, but even a mediocre player will go up eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Speaking of Atlas', I finally got Ace of Spades thanks to my D-DC, and getting sort of lucky. If I hadn't taken so much damage in my back, I would have won the round. We only lost because a cataphract refused to torso twist and had his last weapons pecked off by a Thunderbolt that was just about to die.

(Yes, I'm aware that a screenshot isn't indicative of a mech being super awesome, I'm just proud of the match even if it was a loss.)

Edit: The next match I did 300 damage after getting hit by 2 ANH at once. Heavy Gauss is scary.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 20, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Ardlen posted:

The new player thing is to get an idea of what tier you are in. The tiers are basically a way to tell how many games you have played. It takes being truly terrible to go down a tier, but even a mediocre player will go up eventually.

Yeah, being Tier 1 or Tier 2 says nothing about your skill, but it does mean you have played the game for quite a while. People in Tier 5 or Tier 4 have not played the game so much and thus have less experience and are generally worse at the game, especially when it comes to pushing and twisting. Face staring (just staring straight at the enemy in a duel without twisting to spread damage) is endemic among beginners.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

TjyvTompa posted:

Yeah, being Tier 1 or Tier 2 says nothing about your skill, but it does mean you have played the game for quite a while. People in Tier 5 or Tier 4 have not played the game so much and thus have less experience and are generally worse at the game, especially when it comes to pushing and twisting. Face staring (just staring straight at the enemy in a duel without twisting to spread damage) is endemic among beginners.

Also the previously stated "LRM shitbirds" become orders of magnitude less frequent at higher tiers.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Vorenus posted:

I know I was gone for 2 years but this can't possibly be good advice.

I don't know if I'd advise buying one, but I still like my X5. Once they fixed the tubecount issue on the missile hardpoints it turned into a decent little skirmisher that's pretty capable of swooping in at the end game and dumping 12 srms into peoples' backs.

I mean yeah, there's obviously other mechs that do it better, and don't cost real money, but they aren't Cicadas.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
I like MRMs on my -D.... :smuggo: lets you reach out and touch people a bit further away and differentiates it a bit from the -S.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
so normally I run 6 MPL on my PHX-2 but it's a biiit hot, so I think I might go full sneaky and try this

PXH-2

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
You will burn to death the moment you have your stealth armor on and fire your mlas

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
what if I'm veeeeery conscientious about turning it off once I get into firing position

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

so normally I run 6 MPL on my PHX-2 but it's a biiit hot, so I think I might go full sneaky and try this

PXH-2

Why not run small pulses of you intend to backstab though, especially with stealth armor.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Stringbean posted:

Why not run small pulses of you intend to backstab though, especially with stealth armor.

I'm feeling it as more of a midrange poke-and-fade type, it's prolly too squishy to risk staying in SPL range for long

Thuneral
Jul 25, 2004
High Listener For Music Awful

TjyvTompa posted:

Oh, tier 4.. is bad? :smith:

Then again I haven't played since 2015 so lolol getting back into this now

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Thuneral posted:

It's just an XP bar, the lower you are the less you have played. It doesn't say anything regarding skill, only experience.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
There are some utterly dogshit players in Tier 1 who are in a significantly worse position than Tier 4 newbies because they will never figure out how to get better

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Pattonesque posted:

There are some utterly dogshit players in Tier 1 who are in a significantly worse position than Tier 4 newbies because they will never figure out how to get better

"Hey guys, LRM Atlas here, please hold locks for me."

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

"I dont suck, you do. Ill have you know I do over 200 damage every round in my custom Dire Wolf!"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
like, you remember Ohfar, the dude who threatened to kill theb33f?

when people were like "hey why are you wandering off alone in a dire wolf" his response was "I've been playing this game for four years, I think I know how to play"

here he is on jarl's list

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/search?u=ohfar

he doesn't know how to play and he's prolly T1

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hes also regularly in an assault. The reason for that is because it takes slightly longer to chew through the HP so he thinks hes doing better.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Pattonesque posted:

like, you remember Ohfar, the dude who threatened to kill theb33f?

when people were like "hey why are you wandering off alone in a dire wolf" his response was "I've been playing this game for four years, I think I know how to play"

here he is on jarl's list

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/search?u=ohfar

he doesn't know how to play and he's prolly T1

"Examine your own play before you judge mine"
*Takes direwolf to capture outskirt point alone*

Tier means nothing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't know if I'd advise buying one, but I still like my X5. Once they fixed the tubecount issue on the missile hardpoints it turned into a decent little skirmisher that's pretty capable of swooping in at the end game and dumping 12 srms into peoples' backs.

I mean yeah, there's obviously other mechs that do it better, and don't cost real money, but they aren't Cicadas.

Cicadas own.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The 6ML cicada is legitimately one of my most powerful mechs. I considered it one before the mobility buff that cicadas got, and now I would 100% recommend a cicada to people.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They also have the social ecm effect of no-one considering them a threat, which is surprisingly powerful.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I’ve been using the com-1b with 3 MPLs that skippy posted a bit ago and holy crap that thing is a little monster. It’s as fast as a locust but way, way tougher, and the excellent laser quirks mean you can put out some really nice dps.
I dropped one of the heat sinks (I know, I know) in favor of maxing the armor and adding an RL10 to the torso and of the various lights I have it’s probably my favorite right now.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

sebmojo posted:

They also have the social ecm effect of no-one considering them a threat, which is surprisingly powerful.

Plus, I mean... just look at ‘em! They’re trying so hard.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Beet Wagon posted:

Plus, I mean... just look at ‘em! They’re trying so hard.

:shobon:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Thuneral posted:

what's up stuck in tier 4 forever buddy :smithfrog:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Freakazoid_ posted:

what's up stuck in tier 4 forever buddy :smithfrog:

I have 331 hours on steam and am in tier 4 altso how is it going

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I have 331 hours on steam and am in tier 4 altso how is it going

At least I'm tier 1.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Commoners posted:

The 6ML cicada is legitimately one of my most powerful mechs. I considered it one before the mobility buff that cicadas got, and now I would 100% recommend a cicada to people.

Commoners is super right here. I run mine with six ER MLs and it outranges clan mechs with a way way way shorter burn time, fantastic mobility, good heat management. Poke, move, twirl.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
I just got back into the game after jumping ship somewhere around open beta. Would like an invite to Wol, IGN is How Disgusting.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

aniviron posted:

Commoners is super right here. I run mine with six ER MLs and it outranges clan mechs with a way way way shorter burn time, fantastic mobility, good heat management. Poke, move, twirl.

I'm definitely gonna have to try this.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
What's the best heavy with bird legs?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Black Pants posted:

I'm definitely gonna have to try this.

I tried this and it is glorious.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

What's the best heavy with bird legs?

Ebon Jag or Marauder are pretty good. Why?
Catapult too.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I stopped playing this a while back when lights got mostly garbage hammered (aside from the locust because of being so tiny and like a few randoms after the MG buff). Has that been resolved yet? If so, what lights are in at the moment?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Marathanes posted:

I stopped playing this a while back when lights got mostly garbage hammered (aside from the locust because of being so tiny and like a few randoms after the MG buff). Has that been resolved yet? If so, what lights are in at the moment?

Wolfhound-2 with 5 MPL is exceptional

Urbanmechs are all very playable and the hero Urbie is great

Arctic Cheetahs are still v. good

the Piranha is hilarious but still behind a paywall

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Corn Burst posted:

Ebon Jag or Marauder are pretty good. Why?
Catapult too.

How's the linebacker?

And because they're cuter mostly.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
What's the preferred ACH these days? I always loved the 6 spl, but that seemed to go on the wayside when the MG arms came out.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

How's the linebacker?

And because they're cuter mostly.

Linebacker can't carry too many weapons but it CAN do a bunch of small energy (like 6 MPL) or 5 SRM6As and it is both tough and shockingly quick. I like it a lot and if you like to GET STUCK IN and BRAWL you will too!

you can also do standard laservomit with it (like 2 HLL and 2 ERML?) or two ERPPCs!

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Pattonesque posted:

Linebacker can't carry too many weapons but it CAN do a bunch of small energy (like 6 MPL) or 5 SRM6As and it is both tough and shockingly quick. I like it a lot and if you like to GET STUCK IN and BRAWL you will too!

you can also do standard laservomit with it (like 2 HLL and 2 ERML?) or two ERPPCs!

The standard LBK builds are 2xERPPC or 6xSRM6. The 6xMPL build needs the loyalty one I think.