Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I feel like a good team mix is generally of knowns and unknowns with a team like the Avengers. You have to have both characters who are well-established to ground things and give the team narrative weight, and less defined characters who have more narrative flexibility.

Android Blues posted:

Hilarious, and by this time they're really playing up the, "Hank is constantly on the verge of a nervous breakdown", thing to good effect, but drat what an ice cold way to dump someone. She doesn't even make a clean break, she's just like, "oh, I don't love you any more and I'd like to date other men, but stick around and we'll see what happens".

"I'm going to go lick myself down--"

Way to rub it in, Tigra. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lurdiak posted:

Big heroes like Green Lantern, Cyborg and Martian Manhunter, instead of losers like Captain America, Hulk and Thor. (???)

To be fair, the current line-up of Avengers consists of Jane!Thor, Falcon, Hercules, Voyager, Lightning, Red Hulk, Wasp, Beast and some other folks. Not exactly a team of heavy hitters.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

JordanKai posted:

To be fair, the current line-up of Avengers consists of Jane!Thor, Falcon, Hercules, Voyager, Lightning, Red Hulk, Wasp, Beast and some other folks. Not exactly a team of heavy hitters.

Emphasis mine.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I meant in terms of recognisability. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What the gently caress is this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Jane has been Thor for a few years now. She’s about to die though so the hammer will probably go back to Odinson?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

The exclamation mark is a maths function indicating that it's a different thing belonging to the same "subclass" (Jane is part of the subclass Thor). I see people use it sometimes to denote different versions of the same character and I've started using it myself.

e: That's my assumption as why it's used like that, I should say. I'm honestly not sure.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 20, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's a fandom convention used to indicate a variant version of a character. Often used in female-dominated fan circles, specifically fanfic communities.

It originated in X-Files fandom back in the 90s and has since become widely popular.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also the current Avengers lineup includes Rogue and Human Torch too, and they're pretty big deals popularity-wise, although Rogue's star has diminished somewhat since the 80s/90s/early 2000s.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

JordanKai posted:

The exclamation mark is a maths function indicating that it's a different thing belonging to the same "subclass" (Jane is part of the subclass Thor). I see people use it sometimes to denote different versions of the same character and I've started using it myself.

e: That's my assumption as why it's used like that, I should say. I'm honestly not sure.

My assumption was always that it was a maths thing too, but apparently it originated when someone was discussing Mulder being uncommonly gung-ho in a recently aired episode of X-Files and referred to him as Action! Mulder. I think the exclamation mark was actually just added for comic emphasis.

I wouldn't be surprised if the maths reference making an easy mnemonic was what helped it to stick, though. I think everyone intuitively assumes it's that, goes, "yeah, that makes sense," and then has an easier time remembering the convention.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the oddest Avengers line-up was the one from the late 70s which was Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Yellowjacket, Wasp... and Tigra.

There have been line-ups with odder members but there's something very "Huh?" about one that's basically "founding members plus one".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tigra was getting a big push in the late 70s/early 80s, because Marvel wanted a female hero that would appeal to young women. I think some of the original concepts that would later become Storm were even wrapped up in the Tigra stuff? Like, they'd planned for Storm to have cat-related powers but that got shunted off due to overlap with other cat-based heroes they decided to develop and push instead. Marvel editors must have been really convinced that young women wanted a cat-themed hero.

She's seriously everywhere if you read comics from that era. There's even a Claremont X-Men issue where they team up with Tigra against the Brood.

e: it's even the first appearance of the Brood, so, yeah. Tigra making comics history.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
here we go again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2BfTXIwABo

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Android Blues posted:

Tigra was getting a big push in the late 70s/early 80s, because Marvel wanted a female hero that would appeal to young women. I think some of the original concepts that would later become Storm were even wrapped up in the Tigra stuff? Like, they'd planned for Storm to have cat-related powers but that got shunted off due to overlap with other cat-based heroes they decided to develop and push instead. Marvel editors must have been really convinced that young women wanted a cat-themed hero.

She's seriously everywhere if you read comics from that era. There's even a Claremont X-Men issue where they team up with Tigra against the Brood.

e: it's even the first appearance of the Brood, so, yeah. Tigra making comics history.

Oh that explains the cat pupils then

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The relaunches(?) will continue until sales improve?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's official. DC went to a witch doctor and had the malevolent spirit possessing them transferred over to Marvel.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Isn't that going to relaunch directly into the Search for Wolverine event?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Android Blues posted:

Marvel editors must have been really convinced that young women wanted a cat-themed hero.

They were just a couple decades too early for the anime cat girl to become popular

*yawn*

In before someone says this isn't actually a relaunch because

site fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 20, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Could I get a bullet points version of thay video please? I'm at school and really curious what exactly is going on.

Also, put me down for more Avengers, JL, Titans, Champions, Defenders, X-Men or whatever made up of teams of c and b listers. The big guys already have the universe revolve around them anyway.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Roth posted:

I'm at school and really curious what exactly is going on.

To be honest not a whole lot. Just some marvel people telling you that this year's stories will be all new and really exciting. You haven't really missed anything there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 20, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pretty sure that was a line in a Trump speech

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Roth posted:

Could I get a bullet points version of thay video please? I'm at school and really curious what exactly is going on.

Also, put me down for more Avengers, JL, Titans, Champions, Defenders, X-Men or whatever made up of teams of c and b listers. The big guys already have the universe revolve around them anyway.

Two melting white guys promise this is gonna be Marvel NOW! again for real this time. New beginnings for the new starting point linewide new creative teams new storylines jpgs are moving slightly May 2018 (please come to a comic book store after you see Infinity War please oh god) won't tell you any of the talent involved or anything but it's gonna be huge everyone excited the start of a new era

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

MMGA.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Roth posted:

I really hope you aren't insinuating that I write like Trump talks! :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I really hope you aren't insinuating that I write like Trump talks! :mad:

I'm sure you only use the biggest and best words.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wait, the Joe Quesada bi-yearly Status Quo Desktop Background Art has Robbie Reyes. Okay, there's something for me, at least. And they're making a fairly big deal out of Spidey, so i'm even slightly more excited to see who they replace Dan Slott with.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Looks like Odinson is coming back as Thor with a golden arm and hammer.

And Banner is coming back.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

A Fresh Start, but for X-Men, please. Not counting the last 3 or 4 "fresh starts."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Is marvel up to 3 relaunches a year?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

eliotlucas posted:

A Fresh Start, but for X-Men, please. Not counting the last 3 or 4 "fresh starts."

Maybe they'll finally figure out no one cares about the original 5 this time.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Couldn't they have at least waited for all the Legacy storylines to conclude before announcing their next big fresh start?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe they'll finally figure out no one cares about the original 5 this time.

Well they've got like 5 Wolverines now so they know what the people want

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is Howard getting yet another new hat this time?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel just keeps getting better with every relaunch. This is, of course, impossible beyond a certain point, I thought, but they just keep doing it. There is no upper limit to how good comics can become, and every relaunch is better than the last. By 2019, Marvel comics will become the highest form of human art. By 2026, they will replace all sentient thought.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/965983143294509056

I take it back, I'm sold.

Why'd they have to renumber it again, though? :(

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

JordanKai posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/965983143294509056

I take it back, I'm sold.

Why'd they have to renumber it again, though? :(

Enjoy thor vol. 14 issue 1

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The renumber was dumb, pointless and buyers hated it. Nobody will care in another year so long as the book is good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm a little confused the art shows hulk as a guy but the article says it's Jennifer, hopefully the art is just banner

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm hyped for Avengers by Jason Aaron but lomarf that they're relaunching at #1 after *just* returning to the original numbering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

I'm a little confused the art shows hulk as a guy but the article says it's Jennifer, hopefully the art is just banner

Get in bad pun jail.

• Locked thread