Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sir this is an Arby's drive through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Sir this is an Arby's drive through

oh sorry i was discussing the game that this thread is about
gently caress right off with this

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I just don't know how much discussion your going to get calling the game lovely and whining about your xp bar when that's not really the point of the game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I just don't know how much discussion your going to get calling the game lovely and whining about your xp bar when that's not really the point of the game.

I'm not whining about my XP bar, I'm whining about the idea that the XP from the match is contingent on me watching Jason kill off the other players. That's some bullshit that should have been fixed way earlier, especially when the game already incentivizes you to stick around by giving you a chance to play Tommy Jarvis. Or, if you're a fan of the game, is just fun to watch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Skyscraper posted:

Quick play every time!

Hey there, dumbfuck friend, why don't you knock off the horseshit for a split second. You're reading a bunch of poo poo into my posts because you're defensive as all hell about your lovely game. If I'm going to get clowned on, it's not by you. If grinding on bots is "using all the tools that are in the game" you have bad ideas about what's good in a game.

That works well if you have a map, I haven't seen one, but maybe I'm just spawning wrong to get the randomly placed map (rarer now thanks to this awesome new patch!). I don't have any problem with the repair minigame, though I haven't had a chance to play it yet since the new patch. I didn't have a problem with it in previous versions, and even if I did, that's a thing that a person could Git Gud at, at least.

That's fine, I don't care. I didn't know about those perks, I don't know if I'll need them, I seem to recall perks are random-rolled independently of XP? Maybe not, whatever, I want whacky clothing options and the normal poo poo you'd get from XP, playing normally. I can't remember if Jason uses counselor XP, I haven't played him in hours or levelled up in the same. Jason 5 is apparently free to all, so that's cool, still waiting on playing as him.

Yep, being pedantic isn't helping. That 500 XP is literally 10 times more than what I got from in-game actions (per-game, I think I made 500 XP in a few hours of gameplay just normally), and apparently the XP level requirements are based on that. People shouldn't have to grind on bots to fix that, the fact that you need to advocate for that means your game has a problem. Paying out XP only to people who watch doesn't make the game better, and it's easy to come up with a better way of distributing it, which should have happened by now.

Those both sound like pretty cool options.

it's really amazing sometimes how hard people on the internet project. could you please point to the thing where i'm being 'defensive'? you have expressed discontent with this game for reasons that haven't been true for months and you're acting very churlish about it. i could go line by line on how more of this poo poo you're spewing is really, really wrong (ex: maps have an infinite static spawn on each map, encompass ~30% of drawer itemization besides, so it takes some very serious bad luck to not find one in the first 2-3 minutes and there is always an option if you hit that bad luck) but you're obviously really really dedicated to being the offended, martyred party about a video game that people like so you can be defensive all you like and people can continue to treat you like an infantile jerk because that's exactly what you're being.

$13.27 at the window, sir.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Skyscraper, what the gently caress do you play this game on

Because if it's steam, jump into a goon game some time.

Your friend Burk would love to show you how the game works

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

could you please point to the thing where i'm being 'defensive'?
sure ok

Coolguye posted:

You don't need to do it nor is it even remotely required. That is you saying that.
If you don't want to complete a match, don't complete the drat match. Nobody is putting a gun to your head.
The reason you are going to get clowned on in here is because this one post encompasses 3 major misconceptions with how the game is even set up and a healthy dollop of whiny bullshit entitled bullshit that stems from not even using all the tools that are in the game. You're not correct. You're not a martyr. You don't see something everyone else doesn't. They see something you don't.

Someone criticizes some poo poo that YOU DON'T EVEN THINK MATTERS and suddenly they're a martyr who sees something everyone else doesn't and is acting like someone put a gun to their head. You're crazy defensive over flaws in a game that you don't think matter. Someone who wasn't drinking the koolaid might be like "hey yeah that sucks they should fix that", especially someone with as little stake as people past the point where they actually gain something from xp*

Coolguye posted:

you have expressed discontent with this game for reasons that haven't been true for months and you're acting very churlish about it.

Not true for months? I haven't played this game for months, I'm just now picking it back up and expecting something different. Did I somehow play a build that is months old? Is my steam patcher broken?

Coolguye posted:

but you're obviously really really dedicated to being the offended, martyred party
Bitch, you were throwing bullshit like this right out the gate after I so much as said that the game wasn't working for me, so gently caress right off with your ideas of "offended".

*I think this is a thing, I haven't looked at the F13 xp ladder enough to be sure, and also don't care enough to do that.

Burkion posted:

Skyscraper, what the gently caress do you play this game on

Because if it's steam, jump into a goon game some time.

Your friend Burk would love to show you how the game works
Burk <3
Full disclosure: I got a number of you actually on my friends list and I'm in the F13 group and I've played with people (not you specifically) from here before, I just wanted to evaluate the game 100% on the experience I get when I hit quickplay, like I was someone who just bought it and/or wanted to see if the new patch fixed anything.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
See, the patch you wanted was the patch just before this one, where Jason was turned into kind of a joke

Now the best way to deal with Jason is to kill him

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Burkion posted:

See, the patch you wanted was the patch just before this one, where Jason was turned into kind of a joke

Now the best way to deal with Jason is to kill him

Well, it's cool that they made that easier, I guess. They didn't talk about it in the patch notes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

sure ok

Someone criticizes some poo poo that YOU DON'T EVEN THINK MATTERS and suddenly they're a martyr who sees something everyone else doesn't and is acting like someone put a gun to their head. You're crazy defensive over flaws in a game that you don't think matter. Someone who wasn't drinking the koolaid might be like "hey yeah that sucks they should fix that", especially someone with as little stake as people past the point where they actually gain something from xp*

Not true for months? I haven't played this game for months, I'm just now picking it back up and expecting something different. Did I somehow play a build that is months old? Is my steam patcher broken?

Bitch, you were throwing bullshit like this right out the gate after I so much as said that the game wasn't working for me, so gently caress right off with your ideas of "offended".

*I think this is a thing, I haven't looked at the F13 xp ladder enough to be sure, and also don't care enough to do that.

Burk <3
Full disclosure: I got a number of you actually on my friends list and I'm in the F13 group and I've played with people (not you specifically) from here before, I just wanted to evaluate the game 100% on the experience I get when I hit quickplay, like I was someone who just bought it and/or wanted to see if the new patch fixed anything.
are you not paying attention to your own posting, friend? the entire reason i felt it required to emphasize this is because you were already posting very aggressively with others and i felt a refocus was required. you are the one who decided namecalling was the greatest way to handle the issue, both before and after i posted. you are the one who lashed out, both before and after i posted. if you don't see how this could potentially be construed as defensive and why that might potentially get called whiny horseshit then you grew up in a very different place than me.

it doesn't change that you came into this with a battery of misconceptions and immediately decided they were someone else's fault. at any point you could have decided to ask a question, or looked into how any of the half-dozen things people were pointing out that addressed your complaints worked. you chose not to. you are the one who chose not to ask a question. you are the one who started slinging insults. and you are projecting so hard i am seeing the new star wars movie on the wall.

you can super-size it for just a dollar extra, sir.

e: as a footnote, you're also hilarious for presuming i'm 'drinking the koolaid' of this game when:

i've had a ton to do at work and haven't played this game for two months. the difference is that i actually read and try to understand what's going on before i lose my temper, and basically all of the points that i've spoken to are even older than that.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 20, 2018

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

are you not paying attention to your own posting, friend? the entire reason i felt it required to emphasize this is because you were already posting very aggressively with others and i felt a refocus was required.
A refocus? Nah, gently caress you. You got angry and started namecalling, and you want to pretend you were just "refocusing" it.

Coolguye posted:

you are the one who decided namecalling was the greatest way to handle the issue, both before
Prove it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

oh yeah i guess my post was too long to read

If you value your time, play something else!!

homie i have no idea where you come from where you think this is constructive and how this isn't calling someone a moron

there's more a few pages back but i'm done already, thx

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Skyscraper posted:

Well, it's cool that they made that easier, I guess. They didn't talk about it in the patch notes.

I'm not looking to join any blanket party, but you did kind of bust in here talking about the game being lovely, but the way you were describing it seemed outdated or just plain wrong. There are also static Map stations where you can a map if you're not having luck with the drawers.

It should be really hard for the counselors to survive the match, the material it's based on is known for either no one surviving or one person living through the trauma scarred for life. I mean why would you play a first person shooter if you hate the fact that you can't see your dude? Why play Madden if you hate sports? It just seems part and parcel for what you signed up for.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

homie i have no idea where you come from where you think this is constructive

there's more a few pages back but i'm done already, thx
So no, then, you've got nothing. You could have just said "I've got nothing, sorry" like you could have said "yeah this game has problems, they should fix them" but nope, neither.

How many pages back, would you say I posted? I'll go ahead and look, if you'd like, I might be totally forgetting that.

Comfortador posted:

I'm not looking to join any blanket party, but you did kind of bust in here talking about the game being lovely, but the way you were describing it seemed outdated or just plain wrong. There are also static Map stations where you can a map if you're not having luck with the drawers.

It should be really hard for the counselors to survive the match, the material it's based on is known for either no one surviving or one person living through the trauma scarred for life. I mean why would you play a first person shooter if you hate the fact that you can't see your dude? Why play Madden if you hate sports? It just seems part and parcel for what you signed up for.
Outdated, how? I haven't played in months, it's a fresh experience.
If there are map stations, that's awesome, and actually a good idea. I never got the memo, maybe having played before meant it didn't tell me about them?
I guess ultimately maybe having played it before is a detriment to the idea of a fresh experience, my previous games have taught me to stay away from roads and other players and anywhere I think Jason is going to show up, and maybe I'm missing map stations and new content.

I signed up for what I played in the alpha, and it was pretty good, and if they had left it, whatever, and if they're going to patch it, they should fix that stuff too. My criticisms of gameplay take a backseat here to the idea that I need to watch other players to get XP, because that's a bunch of intentional bullshit to make gross people feel good. I can understand that balance changes won't always go the way I'd like, but this isn't related to balance at all, it's just a bad design decision.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 20, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

So no, then, you've got nothing. You could have just said "I've got nothing, sorry" like you could have said "yeah this game has problems, they should fix them" but nope, neither.

How many pages back, would you say I posted? I'll go ahead and look, if you'd like, I might be totally forgetting that.

so yeah you either grew up in a place where it's perfectly fine to treat other people like poo poo because they're not you or you're just pretending like you did because that's somehow easier for you to handle than just being wrong about something

bro you do you in the end, i probably missed a datestamp when i hit your question mark a minute ago so hey i could be wrong about that one. i'm fine with missing a date stamp. but you should prly make your peace with acting like a child because you made a mistake though. goes right in with all that other poo poo you refuse to acknowledge because your feelings are hurt, should take a look at all that too.

to get you started on that one: how can i be that mad about a game i haven't even played for months

that doesn't even make sense

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DeathChicken posted:

I have Start With Map on everyone by default, since immediately knowing where the car is means immediately knowing where Jason is probably going to be a few seconds in.

I don't need the map to tell me that, because I already know the answer to where Jason is going to be at the start. It's always going to be "right on top of me in the remotest part of the map".

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

so yeah you either grew up in a place where it's perfectly fine to treat other people like poo poo because they're not you or you're just pretending like you did because that's somehow easier for you to handle than just being wrong about something

bro you do you in the end, i probably missed a datestamp when i hit your question mark a minute ago so hey i could be wrong about that one. i'm fine with missing a date stamp. but you should prly make your peace with acting like a child because you made a mistake though. goes right in with all that other poo poo you refuse to acknowledge because your feelings are hurt, should take a look at all that too.

to get you started on that one: how can i be that mad about a game i haven't even played for months

that doesn't even make sense

Oh, weird, it looks like you just said I was raised poorly instead of admitting that your dumb rear end immediately started namecalling someone who criticized A Video Game because either you mistook me for someone else who you were already namecalling a few pages back (not me) or because the holes in your brain told you it was an appropriate response.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, weird, it looks like you just said I was raised poorly instead of admitting that your dumb rear end immediately started namecalling someone who criticized A Video Game because either you mistook me for someone else who you were already namecalling a few pages back (not me) or because the holes in your brain told you it was an appropriate response.

dude for real how do you figure you are acting reasonably in this entire thing

like please explain this poo poo to me how you expected this to go because you were acting like an rear end from the start and you've done nothing but quadruple down

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

dude for real how do you figure you are acting reasonably in this entire thing

like please explain this poo poo to me how you expected this to go because you were acting like an rear end from the start and you've done nothing but quadruple down

Whoaaaa you just keep forgetting the part where you immediately started insulting me and then couldn't come up with the namecalling I'd supposedly done to set you off, and then the part where you made up some past posts where I talked poo poo. You keep sliding right past where that happened.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

Whoaaaa you just keep forgetting the part where you immediately started insulting me and then couldn't come up with the namecalling I'd supposedly done to set you off, and then the part where you made up some past posts where I talked poo poo. You keep sliding right past where that happened.

i'm really not, you're really up on this idea that there was no reason for anyone to look sideways at you but multiple people have and did because you were in fact talking poo poo while not knowing what you were talking about

this is what i'm talking about when i say projection

e: oh lunch is up ok cool this has been a fun distraction but i gotta go now, you go ahead and take the last word broheimer seems really important to you that you get it

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

i'm really not, you're really up on this idea that there was no reason for anyone to look sideways at you but multiple people have and did because you were in fact talking poo poo while not knowing what you were talking about

this is what i'm talking about when i say projection
Wait, was I talking poo poo about A VIDEO GAME, or was it

quote:

you are the one who decided namecalling was the greatest way to handle the issue,
did I start recently, or was it a few pages ago? Did you maybe make something up? Did you get confused, and say something you shouldn't have? It sure sounds like you're someone who is

Coolguye posted:

in fact talking poo poo while not knowing what you were talking about

This thread isn't benefiting from you humping my leg, and I can see that you'll never stop, never admit that you got really mad over video games, won't even admit that you just got me confused with someone you didn't like, so I'm going to stop replying to you.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

what even are you, dude?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

:yikes:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Skyscraper posted:

This thread isn't benefiting from you humping my leg, and I can see that you'll never stop, never admit that you got really mad over video games, won't even admit that you just got me confused with someone you didn't like, so I'm going to stop replying to you.

We'd like you to stop posting in this thread altogether,thanks.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

VolticSurge posted:

We'd like you to stop posting in this thread altogether,thanks.

Sorry I said bad things about your game.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Skyscraper posted:

Sorry I said bad things about your game.

It's because you're a whiny bitch, HTH.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Regrettable posted:

It's because you're a whiny bitch, HTH.
oh no got me

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yes, yes I did.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Hey A. Beaverhausen, do you have an update for me?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
you make good points but have you considered

KI KI KI MA MA MA

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Man I was so excited when I saw 45 new replies but welp, just a guy who doesn’t like the game typing paragraph after paragraph telling us why we are wrong for enjoying it.

Ok guy you got us the game is terrible and sucks. Bye!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Skyscraper posted:

If there are map stations, that's awesome, and actually a good idea. I never got the memo, maybe having played before meant it didn't tell me about them?
I guess ultimately maybe having played it before is a detriment to the idea of a fresh experience, my previous games have taught me to stay away from roads and other players and anywhere I think Jason is going to show up, and maybe I'm missing map stations and new content.

I don't know about the alpha but the original release maps all had map stations on them. Haven't played the newer maps to know if they all have that.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Archenteron posted:

I don't know about the alpha but the original release maps all had map stations on them. Haven't played the newer maps to know if they all have that.

All maps have a map kiosk.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Now trapping the map station could be good for a giggle

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The only map station I use regularly is Packanack because it always starts me outside the big house

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

TheBizzness posted:

Man I was so excited when I saw 45 new replies but welp, just a guy who doesn’t like the game typing paragraph after paragraph telling us why we are wrong for enjoying it.

Ok guy you got us the game is terrible and sucks. Bye!

Not even saying that, just that it has problems. That's apparently THE WORST THING EVER.
But sure, terrible, I'm crying, I'm literally so sad here and I guess entitled and also whiny and literally a martyr.

Archenteron posted:

I should have known that. I've been playing bad this whole time.

Also

DeathChicken posted:

This is genius. Does anyone ever do it?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

I've done this a few times but never gotten anyone.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The bugs are a feature not a bugs, is what we say around these parts friend.

Seriously though, I doubt anyone here has been dropped from more games after sitting and watching other people play for 10 minutes and getting nothing for it, than I have.

It’s frustrating as hell sometimes but I still love this stupid game.

I play with only pubbies ever and lone wolf it 90% of the time. Just expect your teammates to always be the dumbest people ever.

I don’t know if you’ve said what medium you play it on yet but if it’s PS4 add me (paulmadillo) and we will have a great time.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Skyscraper posted:

Not even saying that, just that it has problems. That's apparently THE WORST THING EVER.
But sure, terrible, I'm crying, I'm literally so sad here and I guess entitled and also whiny and literally a martyr.

I should have known that. I've been playing bad this whole time.

Also

This is genius. Does anyone ever do it?

There are a ton of problems with this game. Just to name a few outstanding issues...
- Cars deciding to spontaneously stand on their fender after a crash, rendering the car unusable
- The weird dislocation effects (since Jason's grab is client-authoritative, the desync between where jason's client thinks a counselor's position is and where the counselor thinks Jason's position is can lead to Jason appearing to grab you while facing the entirely wrong direction or from a huge distance away). This can be mitigated to some degree with experience but it still requires you to predict what Jason is seeing to some degree
- Grip strength is basically meaningless because you cannot actually break free from Jason's grab before he kills you if there's room for a kill where you are.
- Jason can instantly see the armed/disarmed state of all traps on the map, even those you "silently" disarm with a pocket knife.
- The changes to counselor attacks mean that Jason can now abuse the hitboxes in the game to grab counselors, even in a group, with near impunity.

And yet, playing in quick play I regularly see counselors escape, up to and including whole teams. It's impossible to escape Jason indefinitely if he's laser-focused on you, but you can make him waste quite a lot of time. If the first counselor he kills is five minutes into the match and at least one objective isn't ready to go yet, the other counselors just aren't trying very hard to escape.

Edit: Hit post too soon.

And yet, despite these problems, this is a good and fun game and like most games, it's only made better by playing with a group. It is possible to forgive or overlook jankiness and problems within a game if it's still fun. Counselors aren't expected to all survive. Hell, unless you call the cops, the counselors can't even all escape.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Olesh posted:

There are a ton of problems with this game. Just to name a few outstanding issues...

- Jason can instantly see the armed/disarmed state of all traps on the map, even those you "silently" disarm with a pocket knife.

How is this a "problem"? It's a deliberate design choice and feature of the traps. Disarmed traps are very easy to miss unless you're just obsessively scouring the map for your trap markers at all times, and traps that counselors step in are marked so that objectives aren't almost impossible for Jason to monitor. Otherwise you'd have people just tripping all the traps and then doing the objectives right afterwards without a care in the world.

• Locked thread