Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

wine subscriptions, but for millennials, how novel!

this ain't your parents' wine club!

there's an app tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
so do they piss the wine back in the bottle after they're done?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

doctors ain't gonna proofread poo poo to make sure that racoon natural speed king hasn't turned their patient notes into pomo beat poetry
voice recognition plus auto correct for drug names is going to give us some amazing news stories.

https://twitter.com/slatestarcodex/status/944739157988974592

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
:siren:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/966028047244775425

:siren:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

what international tournament-level stupid is needed to trust tts to get drug names correct

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
have you met any doctors?

but also, that tweet is about the typed text autocorrect dictionary in Mac OS. evidently the autocorrect rules just rewrite words, including proper nouns

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

yes and like any other credentialed professional, getting them to understand computer is harder than getting a patient to understand portion control

the leck was predicting catastrophe when voice recognition met transcription and i momentarily forgot that the future (s?)he predicted would only come to be with the help of staggering ignorance

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah it's either gonna be new york area or dc area. i could definitely see them choosing arlington, they'll probably set up in the ballston area or something

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that or someone's bot running on aws got stuck

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

quote:

After all, if you’re not stuck behind the wheel, why does it matter how long your drive is? Driving six hours every day could seem less of a problem if commuters could spend the trip working, reading, or snagging a few more hours of sleep.

gently caress you. i would most definitely not ride... anything for 6 hours every day.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
ffffffuck, go away, we're full

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
also how would the pizza delivery work with an autonomous car? does it just launch the pizza at your front door like a clay pidgeon?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheany posted:

gently caress you. i would most definitely not ride... anything for 6 hours every day.

long commutes where people work for free is like every tech company's wet dream

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bhodi posted:

ffffffuck, go away, we're full
:rip: traffic inside 495. that toll on 66 is going to be like $50 now.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah it's either gonna be new york area or dc area. i could definitely see them choosing arlington, they'll probably set up in the ballston area or something

A number of Amazon people I talked to said (independently) Pittsburgh. Then again that always wrong YouTube guy also said Pittsburgh so... :shrug:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Endless Mike posted:

This already exists in the form of tech shuttle buses and the 101, and everyone already hates it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lmao no way

DC is going to surpass the bay area in average commute time

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

getting to work and then immediately booking off sick cause i'm nausated from three hours of trying to read and work in a moving vehicle

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

also commuting for three hours a day each way is loving bonkers

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i once got a new job and took a pay cut just so i didn't have to commute 50km every day

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Wheany posted:

i once got a new job and took a pay cut just so i didn't have to commute 50km every day
same and my quality of life went way, way up

long commutes are soul crushing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have had 1.5-2 hour each way commutes twice in my life and never again

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

You'll be shocked - SHOCKED! - to learn that almost all of the listings for women on this site are, in fact, fake:

https://twitter.com/jiveDurkey/status/965996852071096322

Also the landing page photo of the child molester has been replaced with this:

which has been stolen from a dentist:

https://twitter.com/jiveDurkey/status/965983495767150599

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Tesla QC hard at work in the Gigafactory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIAYxWCXF8A

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

flakeloaf posted:

:agreed: a computer program is not worth poo poo on a planet where an assistant who can do medical transcription exists

ditto for paralegals

bu..bu..but deep learning ai natural language processing dr watson

oh boy am I having fun with this stuff irl. turns out that if you might lose millions by misinterpreting a legal document people want 100% accuracy which means manually reviewing what the process did and no amount of hand wavy AI marketing poo poo will solve that problem

ofc the humans gently caress it up 10%of the time too, but they don't cost a million dollars per year like this stuff does

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mrmcd posted:

A number of Amazon people I talked to said (independently) Pittsburgh. Then again that always wrong YouTube guy also said Pittsburgh so... :shrug:

no he said pittsburgh was a good choice but amazon wouldn’t do it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

oh boy am I having fun with this stuff irl. turns out that if you might lose millions by misinterpreting a legal document people want 100% accuracy which means manually reviewing what the process did and no amount of hand wavy AI marketing poo poo will solve that problem

ofc the humans gently caress it up 10%of the time too, but they don't cost a million dollars per year like this stuff does
I think a lot of businesses would rather do this to achieve more predictable outcomes over potentially optimal ones, even at a slightly higher total price. of course once it's been in place long enough for the team that bought it to have cycled out there will be a ruthless optimization press that will make the humans' lives hell

I mean this stuff had better be worth its license fee, it'll be immediately obvious if it's not. stuff like salesforce einstein is $25/seat/month

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

flakeloaf posted:

website, official instructions: push the power and volume down buttosn together

video on the same website: here's me pushing the power and home buttons together and tada a screenshot

and that method works reliably

my lenovo moto x four allows me to take a screenshot by tapping the screen with three fingers. works 4 me

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's kind of fascinating social phenomenon actually. They only do that on the show so that the camera can hear both sides of the conversation, but everybody sees the Kardashians doing that so now they've just started imitating them because that's how rich socialites in Beverly Hills use their phones, I guess, it's just the trend

i haven't ever watched an episode of the kardashians but i sometimes hold my phone like that. i may have learned it from others who learned it from the kardashians but mostly it's a comfort thing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's kind of fascinating social phenomenon actually. They only do that on the show so that the camera can hear both sides of the conversation, but everybody sees the Kardashians doing that so now they've just started imitating them because that's how rich socialites in Beverly Hills use their phones, I guess, it's just the trend

or maybe these loving fondleslabs that sarnsung and applesauce call "phones" are just too loving big to put up to a human head and use properly

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

also commuting for three hours a day each way is loving bonkers

people already do it, and somehow what people in California do becomes desirable to others for no real reason

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/antumbral/status/966008614853820416

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

qirex posted:

I think a lot of businesses would rather do this to achieve more predictable outcomes over potentially optimal ones, even at a slightly higher total price. of course once it's been in place long enough for the team that bought it to have cycled out there will be a ruthless optimization press that will make the humans' lives hell

I mean this stuff had better be worth its license fee, it'll be immediately obvious if it's not. stuff like salesforce einstein is $25/seat/month

predictabiltiy is the key thing really, if it's 10,000 of the same document where options for each bit are a,b or c then easy, train away and you're good, if it's 10,000 documents which have 900 different permutations and the content is things like "such terms as agreed from time to time" or "yolo" written in marker then you're gonna need people involved and if that's not paralegal's then it means actual legal people and they hate that poo poo. so far, once that's been realised it's swung back to "pay people until they get too expensive or the tech gets cheaper".

Lyon posted:

i haven't ever watched an episode of the kardashians but i sometimes hold my phone like that. i may have learned it from others who learned it from the kardashians but mostly it's a comfort thing.

in the UK it is/was called "the apprecentice grip" because the morons in the older seasons of the tv show held their blackberries like that so they could hear both sides of the conversation on camera.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ate all the Oreos posted:

by the somehow socially acceptable "day-drinking an entire bottle of wine"

whats wrong with that

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
document review is one of the only jobs many lawyers can get and is mind numbing and tedious but so far hasn't been algorithmically replaced. once that happens a non-trivial percentage of lawyers are going to be added to the already impressive glut of unemployed lawyers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i bet ol musky installed the bitcoin miner himself

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Endless Mike posted:

sv techlord line workers too apparently

here's from a recent seminar about san jose metro's development plan - VMT is vehicle miles traveled; low means everything you need to leave the house for is nearby or you have non-car options

it's p bad there already

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
as far as that Swype thing goes, remember that Microsoft bought out SwiftKey like 2 years ago and will now bankroll them indefinitely

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh my god please let "cryptojacking" be the term that sticks for "stealing computer resources to mine bitcoins"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
block chain bamboozlin’