Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Perestroika posted:

People applying cooling paste to their CPUs wrong. Usually you just apply a single small drop on top of your CPU, and the pressure of the cooler settling down on the CPU will distribute it evenly. Since cooler and CPU will sit very closely together, you really only need a little bit to fill in any tiny gaps that might occur. That dude is using way too much, so 90% of all that stuff is gonna squirt out when he installs the cooler, assuming the extra mass won't crack or bend the CPU (locking the cooler in place usually requires a slightly scary amount of force). Also, getting all his finger grease up in there probably isn't going to be much help for cooling either. The other gif just has the paste installed in the wrong place, it goes on top of the CPU and not between it and its socket.

you get all that and somehow miss the first gif is applying Hellman's Mayonnaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

What am I looking at?
Adding thermal paste to a processor cooler for improved thermal conduction.

The first animated image shows paste added to the processor socket instead of the top of the processor.

The second image shows WAY too much paste being added, to the point where it's likely going to be insulating instead of conducting. The purpose of the paste is to fill out microscopic imperfections in the top of the CPU and/or bottom of the cooler so you just need a super thin layer, usually a drop about 1/10" in size is enough.

e:fb

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've seen that hellmans gif so many times and I only first noticed the hellmans thing sometime last year, because there's so many wrong things going on there

https://i.imgur.com/QTiSJYk.gifv

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
ew gross

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

rude

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Alaois posted:

you get all that and somehow miss the first gif is applying Hellman's Mayonnaise

If properly applied it would still do the job

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Collateral Damage posted:

Adding thermal paste to a processor cooler for improved thermal conduction.

The first animated image shows paste added to the processor socket instead of the top of the processor.

The second image shows WAY too much paste being added, to the point where it's likely going to be insulating instead of conducting. The purpose of the paste is to fill out microscopic imperfections in the top of the CPU and/or bottom of the cooler so you just need a super thin layer, usually a drop about 1/10" in size is enough.

e:fb

You gotta keep your CPU properly lubed at all times :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

If properly applied it would still do the job

Not as well as Miracle Whip.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Karate Bastard posted:

What am I looking at?

Triggering loving nerds.

I'm triggered

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Nah it's OK, it's made with real eggs.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Vintage movie bloopers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh man! I hope there's enough of these to start a whole new thread!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/SA5Jlc7.gifv

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Everything I know about thermal paste I learned from official MSI instructional videos

Mondian has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Feb 20, 2018

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Mondian posted:

Everything I know about thermal paste I learned from official MSI instructional videos

Classic

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mondian posted:

What's the story with this? Did someone make a fake MSI video or did MSI really release a terrible video at some point

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

bike tory posted:

What's the story with this? Did someone make a fake MSI video or did MSI really release a terrible video at some point

It was in there site or something as an instructional video.

Puts a smile on my face anytime it comes up just wondering how many people tried to apply compound like that.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

It was in there site or something as an instructional video.

Puts a smile on my face anytime it comes up just wondering how many people tried to apply compound like that.

That's so terrible I assumed it had to be fake.

The credit card method is legit (I use a razor blade instead), but the video is still using far too much compound, and then ... hell is being used to spread, a business card? It's far too flexible. Oh that just hurts.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

TheNothingNew posted:

That's so terrible I assumed it had to be fake.

The credit card method is legit (I use a razor blade instead), but the video is still using far too much compound, and then ... hell is being used to spread, a business card? It's far too flexible. Oh that just hurts.

Its definitely floppy and has graphics on the back, so I'd guess its just some cardboard infothing from that motherboard box that shows like jumper configs or back panel layout or something.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Christ you can literally see the stuff oozing off. I really hope they bought the non-electrically conductive type!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/206Wosn.gifv

Story

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's loving awesome.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Elizabeth Swaney is a true hero, like those fat baseball pitchers & bowlers that have a beer between frames. :911:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

Elizabeth Swaney is a true hero, like those fat baseball pitchers & bowlers that have a beer between frames. :911:

That’s why Babe Ruth will always be the greatest baseball player of all time.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Android Apocalypse posted:

Hail to the king.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Hail to the king.

Roy "Big Country" Nelson.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Thanks for the update on who Riker would fck

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

https://i.imgur.com/G4xK5f8.mp4

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

If the Trumps become a dynasty I can name one future president who sure as hell isn't defunding Amtrak

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Dude, post the video link.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

If the Trumps become a dynasty I can name one future president who sure as hell isn't defunding Amtrak

loving :lol:

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
https://i.imgur.com/XXRzb8t.gifv

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I'm sad that I will never be this awesome.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Isn't that Secret Service dude in the back, the same one that got plastered around the news for having a fake machine gun hand or some bullshit?

He must have a really bad hangnail

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/ebwuzz6.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Decrepus posted:

Thanks for the update on who Riker would fck

Come on, we already know he'd do anyone. Including Tom Riker, probably.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

:drat: