Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I can't imagine listening to a Travis podcast with no brothers

edit: aw yeah, good start to a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brentalfloss is cool. He can be the fourth brother. It's just the entire thing is so loving dour because it's US centric and we can't go a week without something monstrous happening.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ALFbrot posted:

I can't imagine listening to a Travis podcast with no brothers

edit: aw yeah, good start to a new page

Yeah, I tried The Kind Rewind for a while when they were doing Firefly since I hadn't watched it in forever. It was rough between the show not aging as well and being able to tell the news about Whedon that came out in the middle of the rewatch soured Travis' opinion of the show a bit. No real mention of the show being a rewritten narrative of the Civil War being a hard sell in the current climate either. Another thing that stuck out was him constantly tripping over himself to not disagree too much with Theresa.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

credburn posted:

I like their news roundup (Trends Like These) but with Courtney Enlow's contribution they're just a series of news bits with random misandry thrown in. I get that a lot of men are awful, but she takes it to a playground kind of mentality. Saying Hitler had some skill in painting is not "a defense of Hitler." It's just a loving fact, or a statistic. Saying Donald Trump has comparatively good grammar on Twitter is not a defense of Trump's character or anything else, it's just an observation of a skill or a trait. Her minutes-long, fallacy-prone rants about how men are awful are painful to listen to because somehow she takes a simple, pretty much self-driving argument (many men in power are awful people) and somehow manages to fill it so full of subjective bullshit, personal anger and frustration and grossly exaggerated interpretations of what other people said or did that it ruins the argument. It's like taking a rapist and then also accusing him of being awful to animals. Like, maybe he is, but stick to the argument if all your evidence is about how awful rapists are and has nothing to do with puppies.

sexpig by night posted:

sir the question was 'is this your handwriting'

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
This live episode is so happy-making.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"I take issue with her premise that men are awful"

* Uses awful men as a counterexample *

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

What's so cursed about the Atlanta show?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Four or five random idiots basically taking over the show one after another, coming up and grabbing the mic uninvited to tell the brothers about a years old waste management publicity campaign in Florida or some stupid poo poo. Who is YOUR cheese Daddy?

Someone has the explanation and gives it, then person after person keeps coming up saying "I SAW IT TOO!" until one attempts to lure Griffin off the stage to his death with photos of the ad that he really doesn't care about but just wants to finish the drat bit.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I'm glad they edited out the obnoxious part of one of the audience questions from the Milwaukee show. They asked one of the girls her name and she said "My name is somethings gone wrong" and the brothers all collectively basically told her gently caress you say your name don't get cute.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Pops Mgee posted:

I'm glad they edited out the obnoxious part of one of the audience questions from the Milwaukee show. They asked one of the girls her name and she said "My name is somethings gone wrong" and the brothers all collectively basically told her gently caress you say your name don't get cute.

this is a good goof tbh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also a prime warning sign that things are going to get Civil War Ghost Raccoon.

Funnily enough, another prime warning sign is an actual sign.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Yeah, it's kinda funny in the moment, I guess, but you're at a live show and you're gonna try to goof one them when they ask you your name? Seems kinda rude, honestly, and I'm glad they yelled at her and I wish they left it in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, it's kinda funny in the moment, I guess, but you're at a live show and you're gonna try to goof one them when they ask you your name? Seems kinda rude, honestly, and I'm glad they yelled at her and I wish they left it in.

yea not a terrible joke or whatever but kinda falls under the 'make your question an actual question' kinda thing. The crazy parrot lady was kinda the perfect 'this is a dumb quirky joke question but it sounds like an actual problem'

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Seven Parrots and bonefolders are the gold standard

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/fredhicks/status/965626402467909634

I've changed my mind, they should DEFINITELY play Blades in the Dark and every other underrepresented indie RPG

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

https://twitter.com/fredhicks/status/965626402467909634

I've changed my mind, they should DEFINITELY play Blades in the Dark and every other underrepresented indie RPG

yea gently caress it I'll take some slightly meandering stories if apparently The McElroy Bump exists and can be pointed to indie RPGs who deserve it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I can't listen to it. The news sucks too much and neither one of them are really that great at taking about it. The last thing I want to listen to is more news coverage

Well, you know, that's kind of why I listen to it. I'm a lovely liberal and I usually agree with them; they tell me what they think sucks and I probably will, too. It's kind of like getting an update from your buddies. And Travis and Brent are so good spirited that it makes it pretty endurable. But Enlow doesn't really have a good spirit to her. It's just anger and misandry. I mean, they have a segment called "The Terrible Men Segment," it's not like this show doesn't have a lot of updates about how lovely men in power can be. I'm a white cisgender male, it's not like I'm offended. What offends me about her isn't who she is attacking (generally white cisgender men) but that she does so with such sloppy handling, full of fallacies and a lot of this kind of "and I don't give a gently caress if you don't like it" interjections that aren't effective to anyone.

Edit: I still listen to the show. I want to say the most recent one is fine, and last week's was okay. Maybe someone talked to her; the ones she guested on before that were rampant with her seething vitriol.

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 20, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Rapidly Going Deaf > McElroy Podcasts Thread: It's just anger and misandry.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I'm wrong about games.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 20, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Acute Grill posted:

Part of me feels bad for D Vincent Baker who actually developed the new hotness system with a free game that he's making 0 money off of, but hey better that people are giving money to Evil Hat than WotC.

Apocalypse World isn't free? The hardcover version of 2nd Edition is 38 bucks + S&H on their website. The only things that are free for Apocalypse World are the reference playsheets.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 20, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Alaois posted:

Apocalypse World isn't free?

Yep. I'm an idiot. Got a preview for free and assumed the whole game was for some reason. My bad.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Acute Grill posted:

Yep. I'm an idiot. Got a preview for free and assumed the whole game was for some reason. My bad.

Like I don't mean to rub it in but the Kickstarter for the 2nd Edition made $149,681 of its $19,750 goal.

Vince is doing just fine :v:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Alaois posted:

Like I don't mean to rub it in but the Kickstarter for the 2nd Edition made $149,681 of its $19,750 goal.

Vince is doing just fine :v:

Nah, you're good. I honestly thought he got screwed by all the people remixing his poo poo so I'm glad to know he's actually rolling in it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe the PbtA system license is free, though, so you can make your own game based on it without having to pay, which is why it's a relatively popular system for indie RPGs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

I believe the PbtA system license is free, though, so you can make your own game based on it without having to pay, which is why it's a relatively popular system for indie RPGs.

yea Vince is good people, his license is free (or at least has very little strings attached, don't know the exact details), which is why 90% of indie darling RPGs are built off it. He makes his bones selling the core system to gamers, and yea his KS did great near entirely because he has the rep of 'that guy who made the system tons of other great indie devs have used for their games'. Dude's firmly got himself a respected spot in the RPG world, which is very good.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

credburn posted:

Well, you know, that's kind of why I listen to it. I'm a lovely liberal and I usually agree with them; they tell me what they think sucks and I probably will, too. It's kind of like getting an update from your buddies. And Travis and Brent are so good spirited that it makes it pretty endurable. But Enlow doesn't really have a good spirit to her. It's just anger and misandry. I mean, they have a segment called "The Terrible Men Segment," it's not like this show doesn't have a lot of updates about how lovely men in power can be. I'm a white cisgender male, it's not like I'm offended. What offends me about her isn't who she is attacking (generally white cisgender men) but that she does so with such sloppy handling, full of fallacies and a lot of this kind of "and I don't give a gently caress if you don't like it" interjections that aren't effective to anyone.

Edit: I still listen to the show. I want to say the most recent one is fine, and last week's was okay. Maybe someone talked to her; the ones she guested on before that were rampant with her seething vitriol.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Simone is always the last person alive in awful squad

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Travis was good in the latest face2face.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
He loves the crowds, and the crowd love him, generally. He's always been the most natural sounding live.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
It took me a second to realize that Griffin was doing the first Munch Squad but once he and Justin were talking at the same time I was :allears:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shinjobi posted:

Travis was good in the latest face2face.

Yeah Travis was in peak form.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Considering his well known awful eating habits, I’m afraid of what a Travis Munch Squad would be.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ojjeorago posted:

Considering his well known awful eating habits, I’m afraid of what a Travis Munch Squad would be.

Travis: I wanna munch!

Audience: No!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

"We've got a hot release from the fast casual dining establishment Travis McElroy's House, they've got a new sandwich called the Grace of Tuscany, it's a hoagie roll filled with chicken strips, SpaghettiOs, pre-shredded mozzarella and Frank's Red Hot..."

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

DoombatINC posted:

"We've got a hot release from the fast casual dining establishment Travis McElroy's House, they've got a new sandwich called the Grace of Tuscany, it's a hoagie roll filled with chicken strips, SpaghettiOs, pre-shredded mozzarella and Frank's Red Hot..."

We'd show you a picture but it was consumed whole by Travis mere seconds after creation"

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We'd show you a picture but it was consumed whole by Travis mere seconds after creation"

I'm going to pretend you're referring to the picture as being consumed.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
misandry is real.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
One of my favorite Travis moments is still when he's explaining frozen chicken rings to his brothers, and he says "they've made me sick every time I've eaten them, and I just bought 2 big bags". I hope his diet has improved since then, but holy poo poo was it fun to listen to being described.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think one of them described a meal he’d made as a “bagel monstrosity”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh yeah, the Everything Bagel. I think Justin and Griffin described it as breakfast on a bun, and also lunch and dinner. I wanna munch!