Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Consumption is ultimately meaningless. No new value is added to any that consumes or does not consume. You remain intrinsically yourself. Ascribing so much cultural worth to this film black panther (or any art) is just enforcing the false panacea that there is a product out there that would make you more "Humane" by its consumption. It doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kurzon posted:

There are no black people in South Korea.

Black pop music is gigantic in South Korea. There's a lot of familiarity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I saw a video where Snoop was with Psy once in a Korean restaurant.

Also I'm pretty sure part of Black Panther takes place in Korea doesn't it?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I saw a video where Snoop was with Psy once in a Korean restaurant.

Also I'm pretty sure part of Black Panther takes place in Korea doesn't it?

iirc that song actually plays during that part of the movie too

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Consumption is ultimately meaningless. No new value is added to any that consumes or does not consume. You remain intrinsically yourself. Ascribing so much cultural worth to this film black panther (or any art) is just enforcing the false panacea that there is a product out there that would make you more "Humane" by its consumption. It doesn't exist.

I don't think you get to decide what is meaningful for millions of other people.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Well poo poo, you're right. We should just go back to when Hollywood thought any movie with PoC was box office poison.

noted box office failure the fast and the furious franchise

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I don't think you get to decide what is meaningful for millions of other people.

People can ascribe whatever meaning they want to art precisely because it has no intrinsic meaning. I find it liberating knowing that consuming something means nothing because then it doesn't say anything about you. You are free to consume whatever you want.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Black pop music is gigantic in South Korea. There's a lot of familiarity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr29X77OA5g&t=58s

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brother Entropy posted:

noted box office failure the fast and the furious franchise

I mean, there's another one of these in theaters right now: Jumanji 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

There's a Korean BBQ place by me that has karaoke that I like meeting people at after work because they have good wings. They have a bunch of TV's playing a variety of KPop music videos and every other song sounds like Ashanti is about to start singing the hook after Fabolous finishes his verse.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I mean, there's another one of these in theaters right now: Jumanji 2.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle started out super slow but then it morphed into one of those bizarre outliers that takes off and just keeps raking in money week after week, similar to Frozen and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It'll end up making close to a billion dollars.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kurzon posted:

If you adjust for inflation or ticket sales, it's like only the 7th, man.

Not even top 5? Trash.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle started out super slow but then it morphed into one of those bizarre outliers that takes off and just keeps raking in money week after week, similar to Frozen and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It'll end up making close to a billion dollars.

Here's how I imagine it went down:

:smith: So this project is supposed to be garbage for babies, and we're just collecting our huge paychecks for dumb Hollywood reasons that defy comprehension?
:smugdog: Yeah, but here's the thing - ain't no rule says we can't make a fun movie anyway!
:unsmith: ...Yeah, you're right!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's the rare example of something no one saw coming.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've heard a lot of good things about the new jumanji, but I'm still skeptical.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Maybe this is a generational gap thing, but The Rock has a couple more of kid-friendly franchise sequels under his belt that you think would be flops but aren't? Thinking of Escape from somethinsomething Mountain and some kind of dinosaur movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

MacheteZombie posted:

It's really fun. They completely waste Bobby Cannavale (which is a sin) and Karren Gillen's outfit is a little eh, but there's some clever poo poo and everyone is having a good time. It's definitely worth a watch.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MacheteZombie posted:

They managed to make Hart not annoying and Jack Black is fantastic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

McCloud posted:

As a movie in a vacuum, black panther doesn't really stand out much. But it isn't in a vacuum.

Don't get me started on what it actually represents in a modern context.

Crackbone posted:

Well poo poo, you're right. We should just go back to when Hollywood thought any movie with PoC was box office poison.

"Hollywood finally notices something that's been obvious for years"

huzzah.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Snowman_McK posted:

"Hollywood finally notices something that's been obvious for years"

huzzah.

Until we become glorious communist utopia, mainstream capitalism embracing minorities is a good thing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Until we become glorious communist utopia, mainstream capitalism embracing minorities is a good thing.

Honestly, in terms of representation, Black Panther is a big deal, and that's great.

Just don't think about the implications of the plot too hard. Or at all if you can help it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

MacheteZombie posted:

It's a super solid Saturday Matinee, and gets more mileage out of the concept than I originally expected them to.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Armond getting a little weird

https://twitter.com/3xchair/status/966071975625068544?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Of course lol

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
School shootings are good, sheeple.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

What a loving scumbag

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

He’s also doubling down when called out on it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He writes for the National Review. So not really surprising.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

White is culturally conservative and politically left-wing.

This post aged well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It reminds me of how Megyn Kelly was legit shocked when she switched networks and realized her new job actually has accountability and does fact checking on their stories. Dumbasses like this just have no concept of how news is investigated or made. Like gee how could anyone working for any news company on earth possibly find out who the students of this school are and cover their story? What is this magic? It must be a huge conspiracy.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 21, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Armond White is completely garbage.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

Armond White is completely garbage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Armond, you rear end in a top hat!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lobok posted:

This post aged well.

Marxist film theory applied to real life.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lobok posted:

This post aged well.

How is cynicism towards the news industry’s narrativization of the shooting, and America’s bullshit gun control debate, incorrect?

White is unambiguously arguing that the children are being exploited. Which, y’know, they are.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Garbage defending garbage

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

How is cynicism towards the news industry’s narrativization of the shooting, and America’s bullshit gun control debate, incorrect?

White is unambiguously arguing that the children are being exploited. Which, y’know, they are.

Lol...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sponges posted:

Garbage defending garbage

It’s not a defense; he’s not insulting the children.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

It’s not a defense; he’s not insulting the children.

I know your knee jerk reaction is to defend White since you’ve inexplicably chosen to ape his writing style but you’re eroding what little credibility you have left, you loving clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Calling them the "parkland puppets" and suggesting he is sick of them is insulting as they are brave teenagers trying to affect change in the world after going through horrific tragedy.

This shouldnt have to be said. It also plays into the building narrative the right is pushing that these kids are crisis actors, fakes, being coached, or what have you. Its despicable.