Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
swiftkey is weirdly one of the only keyboards that can handle multilingual users well. everything else i've tried forces you to switch layouts every time you switch language or their predictive text gets confused, which is a real drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i thought i got shaggar'd

the windows phone was a piece of poo poo but hot drat that keyboard loving worked. the only thing i will praise on that garbage rear end device

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the one device I tried in a showroom when Windows Phone 7 was first introduced actually had reasonable touch scrolling—smooth and perfectly in sync with finger motion—like iOS had from the start and entirely unlike Android even years later

pity about literally everything else related to Windows Phone

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

fishmech posted:

holy loly yet another startup that tries to be a city bus, doesn't make it a year, and finally realizes why private intracity buses barely exist in much of the world if they don't have like government contracts to run their routes and the guarenteed cash that comes with it

also
"Citymapper’s buses were smaller than a traditional bus, so it was never really dealing with more than two dozen riders at a time. "
all these dumbass app buses do this poo poo! it's always a terrible idea! you need the volume!

what if they are really etchical and don't want government blood money stolen from the people on men-with-guns point

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

swiftkey is weirdly one of the only keyboards that can handle multilingual users well. everything else i've tried forces you to switch layouts every time you switch language or their predictive text gets confused, which is a real drag.

yeah, i don't get why nobody else gets that i write finnish with my friends and family and need ä and ö, but i also type english daily. i don't want to change leyouts because of that, i don't change my physical keyboard layout either when changing languages.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i still remember having a t9 "keyboard" on a nokia feature phone as the best experience, because i have huge fingers and am from a country with conveniently similar language to finnish

right now i am stuck on swiftkey because of multilingual support, but they will probably never make a t9 layout because of patents or something

to my dumb brain there is no apparent reason why layout and predictive text should be tied together

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

swype will let you type in two languages w/o switching layouts, but you're right about the predictive text. I have a hard enough time with it handling english alone and it doesn't seem to use context very well sometimes. it's def less bad than the default sarnsung pos though

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
the iOS keyboard doesn’t care if you switch layouts, it will get confused anyway

also randomly capitalize entire words

CANADA for example

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Penisface posted:

i still remember having a t9 "keyboard" on a nokia feature phone as the best experience, because i have huge fingers and am from a country with conveniently similar language to finnish

Isn't like the only country in the world that's similar to finnish hungary?

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

FrozenVent posted:

the iOS keyboard doesn’t care if you switch layouts, it will get confused anyway

also randomly capitalize entire words

CANADA for example

the ios keyboard is exceptionally bad. even worse in my case because my hit ratio for the correct letter on a phone keyboard must be in the single digits

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

feedmegin posted:

Isn't like the only country in the world that's similar to finnish hungary?

I’m thinking estonia

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

President Beep posted:

I’m thinking estonia

yup, that's correct

though estonian and finnish are really not similar enough that you can use the same predictive text databases, but frankly I would just be happy with a t9 that has it's prefix tree built out of some publicly available common word list and has some kind of learning capability

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

SwiftKey is pretty needs suiting for me but it deffo 'learns' from the text of posts I quote because once in a while I get a forums user name as a suggestion :downsa:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i have an iphone and don't use predictive text or autocorrect and still type fast as gently caress without errors. bunch of scrubs in here with scrub rear end fingers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i had to stop using ios autocorrect because i manually would type in contractions and it would always convert them to we'lol or i'lol or something loving dumb like that so i just got rid of it. i rarely misspell when typing so it never did anything other than frustrate me.

on loving osx too having to go back and change the word i typed 3-4 loving times because it keeps correcting it to something else.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

well, actually, he's just fishmeching into the void

new gaspar noë movie looking weak

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Predicting what you meant to type with a swipe keyboard is kinda the only way to use it

autocorrecting words you've tapped in is pretty heinous though

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
my main gripe with ios keyboard is that the switch keyboard button for the emoji keyboard doesn’t line up with the other keyboards. also, no emoji search. i wish they would unfuck that terrible keyboard.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

comma-space autocorrects to Xbox for some reason

"Errol" came in for "will" so often i had to kick him out of the dictionary

also, u is not a word, and i'll just take the chance on never having to talk sensibly about former un secretaries-general

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the bbc had a big scary story about THE DANGERS OF AI which they opened by talking about 2001 and War Games, then the actual report was just some guy going "oh you should probably use 2FA because... idk the AI could steal your password? sure that"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
like seriously if you have half decent spelling just ditch autocorrect entirely.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
favorite thing about iOS autocorrect is that it will offer to change “guns” to the bicep emoji

e: only seems to do it in messages tho

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

don't worry, butttouchbar does it too

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don’t know wtf apple has been doing but I feel like the iOS keyboard has gone downhill a lot, and the iPhone screens touch accuracy is feeling android quality anymore

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its been going downhill since ios 4 or 5

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

like seriously if you have half decent spelling just ditch autocorrect entirely.

one downfall of swipe-typing is a certain reliance on autocorrect/word-and-phrase prediction

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like the autocomplete suggestions are super screwy now; you’ll be typing a word and go to autocomplete it and in that split second it will swap for some completely different nonsense, or it will get hung up on something in a sentence and just stop working

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

CB guys in the 70s were loving COOL

breaker breaker gotta smokey up here at the mile 219 get-em-off

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

breaker breaker gotta smokey up here at the mile 219 get-em-off

1970s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss
2000s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6JYvrRqkro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
uber pool express: or how WE INVENTED THE BUS AGAIN GOD loving DAMMIT

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
“We think carpooling is very much the way of the future,”

wow. some real blue sky thinking there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh, twitter did a bot purge last night and some folks are real salty they lost thousands of followers overnight

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

oh, twitter did a bot purge last night and some folks are real salty they lost thousands of followers overnight

the infowars guys asking where thousands of followers went made me chuckle

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
how many did the president lose

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

I don’t know wtf apple has been doing but I feel like the iOS keyboard has gone downhill a lot, and the iPhone screens touch accuracy is feeling android quality anymore

apple hasn't made a good product since december 1992

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the infowars guys asking where thousands of followers went made me chuckle

https://twitter.com/Patriotic_Va/status/966278283963846657/photo/1

abhhhaahhahhahahhaha

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. did you, an actual human, help signal boost some bot fed bullshit? congratulations, you're literally indistinguishable from a bot.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

congratulations, you're literally indistinguishable from a bot.

i've had that problem for years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if your name is <noun><four-six digits> and you did nothing but retweet macedonian "novelty" news stories, yes, it's possible you could be confused for a bot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

i've had that problem for years

just because you suck and bump into walls doesn't make you a roomba