Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

At least you can crank hyperlanes way the gently caress up if you really want.

Also, given the jump drive is still in the game, its probably someone will create a modded version or just outright puts warp back in the game, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
listen i’ve been playing the stellaris franchise since stellaris: clarke and let me tell you the devs completely abandoned that game as soon as the preorders for stellaris: asimov started rolling in

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shadowlyger posted:

The point is that "just play an older version of the game" is not an acceptable defense for forcing hyperlanes only, hth

Playing a version of the game that hasn't been redesigned for hyperlanes only is actually a perfectly reasonable solution to the "problem" of the game being redesigned for hyperlanes only.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i can understand being really attached to a particular version of a game. ck2 was best balanced with ck2+ enabled just after old gods came out, in my opinion, and a lot of changes have taken the game in directions i don't necessarily agree with.

but paradox makes it easier than any other company to revert to any version that's ever existed, and while freezing your version does make modding somewhat more effort, the option is at least there to try to put together what you want to play even after the game has moved on

besides, the star trek mod is going to still want to use warp. i wouldn't be surprised if there's a defines setting that at least re-enables warp, wormhole might be more permanently dead though you could probably hack something kind of similar together from modding the gate system

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 21, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jazerus posted:

i can understand being really attached to a particular version of a game. ck2 was best balanced with ck2+ enabled just after old gods came out, in my opinion, and a lot of changes have taken the game in directions i don't necessarily agree with.

but paradox makes it easier than any other company to revert to any version that's ever existed, and while freezing your version does make modding somewhat more effort, the option is at least there to try to put together what you want to play even after the game has moved on

drat, old gods was the last time I played CK2 and I was curious about it but so many people say its this overwhelming mess now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Shadowlyger posted:

The point is that "just play an older version of the game" is not an acceptable defense for forcing hyperlanes only, hth

That's because it's not intended as a 'defense' (Because Paradox isn't actually obliged to 'defend' game mechanics changes), it's merely pointing out that if you're that attached, there is still a way to play other modes. Claiming that it's unfair Paradox won't patch 1.9 because they're patching 1.9 is a unique argument though I will grant you.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
One of my steam friends hates the upcoming changes.

Because they are in the middle of a 1.9 game. But will stay on 1.9 until they finish it and get 2.0

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its not that bad last time I played it (just before Mystics and Monks). Though I also always thought CK2+ was a dumb mod so what do I know.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its not that bad last time I played it (just before Mystics and Monks). Though I also always thought CK2+ was a dumb mod so what do I know.

it was very dumb for a while after wiz was hired by paradox and a fairly sloppy team decided to revive it

the current version isn't bad really, both the base game and the mod are good again. ck2+ was amazing in its heyday though because wiz stretched the event system to its absolute limits to create entire new systems and hand-tweaked the balance to perfection. he was hired for a reason!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

One of my steam friends hates the upcoming changes.

Because they are in the middle of a 1.9 game. But will stay on 1.9 until they finish it and get 2.0

Tell him to back up his mods too if he's using any. They'll auto update off the workshop.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jazerus posted:

a lot of changes have taken the game in directions i don't necessarily agree with.

I think that's what it comes down to, really. Paradox treats their games as living things that evolve constantly as time goes on. That's great! But if you design significant evolutions to the game mechanics (as opposed to just minor tweaks and bugfixes), sooner or later you're going to need to make major gameplay design decisions, and the fact of the matter is that not everybody is going to agree with those decisions because everyone has their own specific and sometimes esoteric desires.

Basically occasionally pissing people off is the price you pay for a constantly changing and updating game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm usually bored of a game before the next version comes out, so if the game stopped evolving I think most people would just lose interest more or less. If the options are "game stagnates" or "game changes, most likely for the better but not always" I'm always going to pick the latter.

Tomn posted:

Basically occasionally pissing people off is the price you pay for a constantly changing and updating game.

Actually the price is usually about $20 on release, $10 on sale if you wait a bit. Not a bad price!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

We're currently unable to process any payments from your region. We apologize for any inconvenience

God drat it I want to give you my money Paradox, won't you at least tell me why I can't?

Is the lack of detail because it's a legal issue? All I can find is it will apparently be "weeks" before the store will accept payments from my region:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/paradox-sale.1061409/#post-23818353

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GotLag posted:

God drat it I want to give you my money Paradox, won't you at least tell me why I can't?

Is the lack of detail because it's a legal issue? All I can find is it will apparently be "weeks" before the store will accept payments from my region:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/paradox-sale.1061409/#post-23818353

it's because getting every bank and credit card issuer in a region to acknowledge the paradox store as a legitimate vendor for people in their region to be using, even though paradox is in europe, is presumably a pretty lengthy process

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Galaga Galaxian posted:

We need a new thread title. "To Serve Man" is two expansions old, though it still worked in a way with Synthetic Dawn given Rogue Servitors.
Stellaris - Apocalypse Chow

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I'm usually bored of a game before the next version comes out, so if the game stopped evolving I think most people would just lose interest more or less. If the options are "game stagnates" or "game changes, most likely for the better but not always" I'm always going to pick the latter.

Actually the price is usually about $20 on release, $10 on sale if you wait a bit. Not a bad price!

This is actually exactly why I keep coming back to WoW - everyone wails and gnashes their teeth when everything is completely redesigned every expansion, but I am only playing the expansion BECAUSE everything was redesigned. Constant, neverending flux in a game is exactly what keeps me coming back over and over and over and over and over and over.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Stellaris - Apocalypse Chow

Stellaris: You May Fire When Ready

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jazerus posted:

it's because getting every bank and credit card issuer in a region to acknowledge the paradox store as a legitimate vendor for people in their region to be using, even though paradox is in europe, is presumably a pretty lengthy process

I've bought from the Paradox store, from this country, with this card, just under a month ago.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Stellaris - And not one will know of the war, not one will care at last when it is done

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Stellaris - space-themed 4X abandonware

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Stellaris- FTL options removed apparently randomly

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Stellaris - The Steam comments are the end game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm pretty sure Stellaris will be a better game when it's hyperlane only, but I did enjoy playing xenophobic pacifists who always had their borders closed and exclaves all over the galaxy. Which will be mostly impossible without wormhole drives.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Is there some meta or pseudo-science explanation about what differentiates hyperlane travel from warp travel ?

I mean, both require some kind of FTL drive to get from A to B in days instead of decades. So if I have an FTL drive, why do I need a hyperlane and what is it exactly ?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Hammerstein posted:

Is there some meta or pseudo-science explanation about what differentiates hyperlane travel from warp travel ?

I mean, both require some kind of FTL drive to get from A to B in days instead of decades. So if I have an FTL drive, why do I need a hyperlane and what is it exactly ?

Depending on how soft you want to go either patches of space where spacetime can be folded easier allowing interstellar travel at a reasonable pace or lanes of space clear of debris so ships don't Swiss cheese themselves while traveling at c+ speeds.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Torrannor posted:

I'm pretty sure Stellaris will be a better game when it's hyperlane only, but I did enjoy playing xenophobic pacifists who always had their borders closed and exclaves all over the galaxy. Which will be mostly impossible without wormhole drives.
Let me tell you about Gates.

Hammerstein posted:

With Hyperlanes the conceit is that you don't generate FTL, you tap into a network that enables FTL. Or that FTL doesn't work except in specific places. Warp is an ATV, hyperlanes are a river network.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
To pick up from some posts ago, a new thread is probably due.

Stellaris - 2.0 Serve Man

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Splicer posted:

Let me tell you about Gates.

Which is why I wrote mostly. With wormholes, you can do this right from the start. And you can even colonize on the other side of unfriendly empires, as long as you have the range to jump over them. Based on what we know so far, I think Gates will be a bit too late game to be an equivalent replacement.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
My favourite scifi FTL model is still the one used in Honorverse. You can transition to hyper and go anywhere, but it'll take you a while, like, months. Much quicker to ride a gravity wave (which needs to have been found and charted) and get there in weeks/days, or even better transition instantly via a wormhole (but they're few, far between, hard to spot in the first place, and have to be carefully surveyed and tested to safely traverse).

It ends up being a neat way to have terrain and strategic positions in space, with the wormholes being significant prizes to fight over and the gravity waves making travel predictable enough to engage in piracy/commerce raiding in the vastness of space.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

LordMune posted:

To pick up from some posts ago, a new thread is probably due.

Stellaris - 2.0 Serve Man

Nice. We're stuck with this title anyway. This is a good way to have fun with it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
New machine empire game, governor gets arrested development as soon as it reaches level 2. So I dismiss it, recruit a new one. Which promptly arrests its development at level 2.

:argh:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Yes, as anyone with a basic degree of reading comprehension could tell you, the word "developers" here as opposed to more specific terms like "the developers" or "Paradox" refers to video game developers in general, and if you've somehow ended up in this universe from some parallel reality with much higher patching standards, I'm very sad to report that most games developed in this dimension do not continue to receive support years after their release, and Paradox's level of support is the exception rather than the norm.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/966273833320767488

I love these. :allears:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Those posters are brilliant. Are they on sale at all?

Relatedly, has anyone modded the game into an Art Deco masterpiece?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GotLag posted:

My favourite scifi FTL model is still the one used in Honorverse. You can transition to hyper and go anywhere, but it'll take you a while, like, months. Much quicker to ride a gravity wave (which needs to have been found and charted) and get there in weeks/days, or even better transition instantly via a wormhole (but they're few, far between, hard to spot in the first place, and have to be carefully surveyed and tested to safely traverse).

It ends up being a neat way to have terrain and strategic positions in space, with the wormholes being significant prizes to fight over and the gravity waves making travel predictable enough to engage in piracy/commerce raiding in the vastness of space.

That's basically how 2.0 is going to work. Fixed lanes for most travel, rare wormholes and occasionally jumping over the lanes when strategy demands it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Aethernet posted:

Those posters are brilliant. Are they on sale at all?

Relatedly, has anyone modded the game into an Art Deco masterpiece?

You can get them digitally high-res here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ll_2018221_giaw

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

GotLag posted:

So basically tradewinds in space, eh?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tomn posted:

So basically tradewinds in space, eh?

The Honorverse is Horatio Hornblower in space, so yeah.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Lmao if you aren't using the steam beta function to play version 1.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Gyshall posted:

Lmao if you aren't using the steam beta function to play version 1.0

I would, but Paradox, in their limitless greed, ceased all support for it.

• Locked thread