Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Something I maintain needs to be fixed, despite someone disagreeing with me, is that it's still waaaaaay too easy to stun Jason. Yes, the 100% stun chance with the baseball should still be 100% - modifiers, of course, I have no problem with that.

What I DO have a problem with is being repeatedly stunned over and over and over again. Considering how easy this game is to hack (holy poo poo you could straight up hex edit the code into giving you pre release Uber Jason for gently caress's sake) I'm not at all going to be surprised to find out that lovely pub players are using trainers (I'll be fair, maybe some are just legit that good at the game) to be able to consistently nail Jason over... and over... and over...

...and over... :suicide:

"It's in the spirit of the game! Teamwork!" Yeah, I'm okay with that, except that it's NOT in the spirit of the films. Take a look at any "small group of people on Jason at once" scene in the films. What happens? Jason gets blindsided by the first hit, which legit stuns him for a second. Attacker #2 attempts to go in and also get a hit, and Jason immediately grabs them and fucks their poo poo up. And from there anyone who attacks Jason gets systematically slaughtered. Most of the time they run.

And that's what a stun should be. It's your opportunity to run away.

Constantly batting Jason gets loving old and it's annoying and bullshit and I loving hate it. I say... increase stun times, leave stun chance where it is, but then put a retarding value on it, with a cool down of course.

1: Stunning Jason the first time gives you a good chance to run and escape. A nice long nap for the masked mutilator.
2: Then your chance to stun Jason isn't as good the second time if you didn't run and escape. If you do, you had better start running, because he's getting up a bit quicker now.
3: Your third chance is miniscule. And he's only going to be out for a second. Why aren't you running yet? Are you trying to die?
4: There is no fourth chance. Enjoy your death.

This doesn't, of course, affect Jason kills because you get one shot at killing Jason. That's one well timed stun, during a special circumstance. I'm okay with that. In fact, I'm okay with that being increased dramatically. I'm okay with hitting Jason after the sweater lockdown with any weapon knocking him to his knees, as long as it isn't a shotgun or flare gun.

This I feel would balance out the stun issue. Good counselors can still run away without fear. Bad counselors die. Good Jasons won't get bogged down by a string of lucky hits for no reason. Bad Jasons will get a second chance to stop acting foolishly. And it fits the theme of the films. You only get lucky with Jason once, maybe twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Or you could go into combat stance and block.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like they should bump up the bonus to Jason's Rage meter when he gets stunned. Right now I feel like it's barely noticeable.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ghostpilot posted:

Hey, man, I'm not trying to be a dick here but... I'm not stupid. I know that is an option. What you don't seem to understand is you can't. Once you're stunned, you're stuck in a loop where you have no control. As soon as you have control to try and enter combat stance to block you're stunned. Try to morph you're stunned. Try to shift you're stunned. You can't do anything. Because again the very frame of you coming out your stun? You're stunned.

I've seen players swing before the stun ends, knowing that the bat will connect on the -exact- frame you regain control, putting you in another stun.

Maybe it didn't happen to you. That's fine. It's happened to me so many times I would rather not play as Jason.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t even mind being stunned by a bat over and over I do get a little miffed when Deborah stuns me with the machete first swing though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Oh even post patch I can't grab people for poo poo if they're healthy and moving. Seems like Jason will just kind of whiff even if I'm right on top of someone. Not so much if they're hurt (and the way I play is always to hack someone into limping before I even try grabbing, unless they're like stuck jumping out of a window or something), but yeah

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Skyscraper posted:

Yep, being pedantic isn't helping. That 500 XP is literally 10 times more than what I got from in-game actions (per-game, I think I made 500 XP in a few hours of gameplay just normally), and apparently the XP level requirements are based on that. People shouldn't have to grind on bots to fix that, the fact that you need to advocate for that means your game has a problem. Paying out XP only to people who watch doesn't make the game better, and it's easy to come up with a better way of distributing it, which should have happened by now.

if you didn't get at least 50xp from in game actions, then you aren't doing anything worthwhile. Knocking Jason on his rear end, stunning him with firecrackers, escaping with a pocket knife, Fixing anything, calling Tommy - each of those is 50-100 points by themselves. It's 5-10 for opening a door, locking a door, crawling out a window, getting a map, getting a walky, picking up a weapon, picking up a trap, setting a trap, picking up a part. There is a ton of fast and easy XP for doing stuff that helps you get through the game. I know it's frustrating when you start out, and people are often uncoordinated, but if you aren't getting 50xp before the match end bonus you just aren't doing much at all.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I just did a bot run for the hell of it and massacring everyone + stopping to smash a power box got me upwards of 1000 XP in about five minutes, so y'know...even if you find grinding dull, beating up on them once or twice will net you oodles of points. It's not like they're scarce.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

You dummies know that a hard swing in combat stance has tracking, right?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

King Vidiot posted:

How is this a "problem"? It's a deliberate design choice and feature of the traps. Disarmed traps are very easy to miss unless you're just obsessively scouring the map for your trap markers at all times, and traps that counselors step in are marked so that objectives aren't almost impossible for Jason to monitor. Otherwise you'd have people just tripping all the traps and then doing the objectives right afterwards without a care in the world.

Saying that it's a deliberate design choice says nothing about whether or not it's good design. Pocket knives are silent, yet a Jason who is diligent enough to check the map frequently will immediately know when counselors are going for an objective. With the group of friends that I play with, in fact, it's pretty much assumed that any of us as Jason will notice any sprung traps within seconds. This means that, rather than actually using pocket knives to disarm traps, you're generally better off saving the pocket knife and blowing a first aid spray on it.

"Easy to miss" is a really weak argument for balancing when the only thing preventing you from knowing that a trap was sprung is your willingness to actually check the map. And frankly, having counselors willingly tripping the traps (and then spending a first aid and immediately sprinting off) is really effective for letting objectives get done, especially if you do it early.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Olesh posted:

Saying that it's a deliberate design choice says nothing about whether or not it's good design. Pocket knives are silent, yet a Jason who is diligent enough to check the map frequently will immediately know when counselors are going for an objective.

I can say with minimal embarassment that I have no idea how to interpret the trap symbols on my map. What do they look like if they're sprung vs not?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comfortador posted:

I can say with minimal embarassment that I have no idea how to interpret the trap symbols on my map. What do they look like if they're sprung vs not?

Not sprung, weird bracketed diamond. Sprung, diamond with a dot in it.

Also, if you're playing Jason and you're finding yourself getting stunlocked, it's because you hosed up. You didn't go into combat stance the moment that you saw they were going to attack you, or you picked a fight with a group of armed, organized counselors. Jason can always pick his fights, and if you're getting owned, it's because you made a mistake. It's important that you stay patient, because until you start whittling down the number of counselors, you're playing a plate spinning game to keep them from completing objectives. Laser focus is not a good thing in this game.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 21, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you're being beaten up by counselors, you should be able to just rapidly tap your Shift key (the power not the keyboard key) until you're out of stun and you should zoom away from them once you're out of the stun animation. Shift back once you recover and start smacking them with your weapon instead of trying for grabs that you can be knocked out of. Med sprays are limited more than ever and you can use hit-and-run attacks to whittle them down.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Roll Jason IX if you're having issues with being stunned - he's one of the best because he carries the unique strength of being stun resistant.

Alternately you can roll Jason III and then engaging you at close range is a BAD idea if you've shown that you aren't afraid to swing your axe. Jason swings slightly faster then the counselors - so if you connect a hit they cannot counter and have to run away or risk getting LMB'ed to death.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Aw, cute, Coolguye likes me enough to spend money to cry about it.

Ghostpilot posted:

weekly font posted:

You dummies know that a hard swing in combat stance has tracking, right?

It seems like combat stance is really a thing, and I saw they put it in but never learned to use it, and maybe it's important for counselors and Jason? Earlier it seemed like the best move was running away, and the game was about it, but I keep seeing successful counselors relying on grouped melee combat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well, your easiest method as Jason of dealing with armed councilors is to make them not armed anymore. Blocking and letting them break their puny bats on you works (better than grabbing them, that just makes them drop the weapon and they're free to pick it up again should they get loose).

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Combat stance as Jason has never been much more than a:

"Yes I know what I'm doing, I am not loving around. If you try to melee me you will lose because I know how to work this dumb niche mechanic and stop your attempt to stun me. Run or die."

except in the good old days when you could block fireworks and pam sweaters (lol)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Holy lol this thread got good

Hey skyscraper I didn’t do poo poo I actually went back to work like I said I was. Someone else red texted you because surprise surprise you are actually acting like a massive baby and everyone can see it but you apparently

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Coolguye posted:

Holy lol this thread got good

Hey skyscraper I didn’t do poo poo I actually went back to work like I said I was. Someone else red texted you because surprise surprise you are actually acting like a massive baby and everyone can see it but you apparently

it actually got bad because both you wieners think we care about your argument

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
this is the continuous meltdown we have all strived for comrade

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Coolguye posted:

this is the continuous meltdown we have all strived for comrade

*farts loudly*

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Combat stance as Jason has never been much more than a:

"Yes I know what I'm doing, I am not loving around. If you try to melee me you will lose because I know how to work this dumb niche mechanic and stop your attempt to stun me. Run or die."

except in the good old days when you could block fireworks and pam sweaters (lol)

Oh the good old days of walking through firecrackers and hearing "WHAT THE gently caress HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!" before :murder:

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

codenameFANGIO posted:

*farts loudly*

Where is the fart keybind do I have to be in fart stance?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

cliffdiver posted:

Where is the fart keybind do I have to be in fart stance?

Nah it's an emote.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

joylessdivision posted:

Oh the good old days of walking through firecrackers and hearing "WHAT THE gently caress HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!" before :murder:

oh my word yes

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I got one of those recently as Jason and was about as surprised as the drat councilors. "Oh come on he ignored the firecrackers." "Yeah he's hacking." "Look I am not, I don't even know how that worked."

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

I got one of those recently as Jason and was about as surprised as the drat councilors. "Oh come on he ignored the firecrackers." "Yeah he's hacking." "Look I am not, I don't even know how that worked."

Yeah, sometimes it bugs out and doesn't work. I know you could shift into them and they wouldn't work a couple of months ago but I haven't tried it recently.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Also, if you're playing Jason and you're finding yourself getting stunlocked, it's because you hosed up. You didn't go into combat stance the moment that you saw they were going to attack you, or you picked a fight with a group of armed, organized counselors. Jason can always pick his fights, and if you're getting owned, it's because you made a mistake. It's important that you stay patient, because until you start whittling down the number of counselors, you're playing a plate spinning game to keep them from completing objectives. Laser focus is not a good thing in this game.

Yeah, that's silly, no. It's bad game design in this case and it needs a fix. This isn't a feature, it's not a bug, it's just poo poo and frankly I think you know it and are being a jerk. Maybe it's because someone won't stop coming into the thread and being a dickhead all the time, but seriously... why say this is a good thing? A good, or hacking, team of counselors can stun lock a Jason to the point they can't use any of their powers, including morph or shift, to get away, and they can't enter combat stance. You might be saying to yourself "Oh, why did you go and attack the group of people?" Here are a few scenarios where this happened that will illuminate the situation for you:

- I didn't. I came out of morph and was insta-stunned.
- I didn't. I only saw one guy, and four more popped out of nowhere.
- I didn't. I was setting a trap and they ran up on me.
- I didn't, and attempted to retreat. I was hit through a loving wall when I realized what they were up to.
- I had no choice. They were the last players on the map and were working together. Time was running out.
- I had no choice. They were about to complete an objective, but as soon as I came out of shift they ganged me.

Certainly can't stop a phone call if you're blocking all the time, and while in combat stance you can't morph or shift away. Essentially, you at some point have to leave yourself open to an attack, and if it's just for a split second you get nailed. These players aren't stupid, or their trainers are very smart; if you're in combat stance they'll just wait until you're not blocking. They hide and let one person be bait. They know when you're going to morph somewhere. You don't get it, these are either really good players or they have robotic assistance. Either way, the point is, stuns need a cooldown. They're too effective at locking down a Jason, or preventing one from being effective.

And semi related, but I wanna know: how do they all always have bats? No machetes until Tommy shows up, everything else is bats. No flares, sometimes firecrackers, always bats. If it was a one off game, sure, I'll give you that, but with what's been happening lately with the Uber Jason stuff, not to mention something else I found out recently (someone I know figured out something I can't talk about, don't ask), I would not be surprised at all if these players are simply cheating.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bats are one of the easiest things to find and you can have a perk to start with a bat that also increases your melee damage in general

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, "You got popped once so you deserve to be popped infinitely because you're bad" is pretty dumb

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Did I miss something, did weapons stop breaking?

being stun locked shouldn't last more than about 3 stuns tops.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

When they break is based on Luck rolls so a Chad or Tommy can pretty much hit you indefinitely most of the time.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Skunkrocker posted:

And semi related, but I wanna know: how do they all always have bats? No machetes until Tommy shows up, everything else is bats. No flares, sometimes firecrackers, always bats. If it was a one off game, sure, I'll give you that, but with what's been happening lately with the Uber Jason stuff, not to mention something else I found out recently (someone I know figured out something I can't talk about, don't ask), I would not be surprised at all if these players are simply cheating.

I've seen surprisingly few outright cheaters. The cheats do exist; do a little googling and you can find screenshots of a "3d Radar" that shows labels and distance of counselors/Jason/items, but typically you find teams of players where the counselor player(s) cooperate with "their" Jason by selling out other players, interfering with objective completion, et cetera.

Luck helps with weapon durability, but the amount of durability loss per hit is random. Even Chad can break a bat in a single swing.

Hell, once they changed the way counselor attacks were calculated (only counting for the first impact), Jason became able to reliably grab-kill despite any number of counselors trying to prevent it - if you interpose the grabbed counselor on any incoming strikes, those strikes won't count as hitting Jason and won't break the grab, but will still degrade the weapons. I specifically don't do this as Jason, because it feels so incredibly unfair.

The game is absolutely stacked in Jason's favor (as it should be), but most Jasons aren't prepared to get swarmed by aggressive counselors and you can absolutely delay Jason by brute force long enough to accomplish objectives if you're willing to be ballsy about it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Olesh posted:

Luck helps with weapon durability, but the amount of durability loss per hit is random. Even Chad can break a bat in a single swing.

Weapons can't break on the first swing anymore. It takes at least 2 now, though that's not much better. If your weapon is breaking on the first swing it's because someone used it before you.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I rolled a random pub team way back when and they were all Chads and they all just loving swarmed me. It was p.funny to be honest.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Next time goons play and I'm Jason please come stunlock me with friends.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had one round where I drunkenly smashed my way into a cabin with like, five counselors plus Tommy. The savage rear end-beating I got was so bad the game legitimately lost track of how stunned I was. You can see me start to fall backwards then suddenly stand upright again, but without the ability to slash or grab.

Also I did in fact get killed that round specifically due to my stupid decision to grab Tommy instead of hitting him one more time to kill him :smith:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
So I just got killed as Jason for the first time... I still had my mask on?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Oh that's good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Danaru posted:

Oh that's good poo poo

:gizz: