Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Now you get to laugh at me and my question:

I've been making 6 and a half minute boiled eggs and I've been having a terrible time peeling them. I've salted the water, I've baking soda'd the water, I thought I was using older eggs..but about half the time I end up mangling the eggs while shelling. Help!

Use hella old eggs. Like, buy a dozen and just forget about them in the back of your fridge for a month.

Most people always always gently caress up peeling fresh eggs. Once they get past the sell by date it gets easier. I'm currently using 50ish day old eggs and they're peeling super clean.

Rice dude depending on the rice type, washing the extra starch off helps a lot.

VVV also a good idea

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I've also found that dropping the eggs directly into an ice bath after cooking makes it more likely they'll be easier to peel.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Steam the eggs instead of boiling. 1/4-1/2" water in the bottom of a small pot, wait for it to boil, eggs, lid, turn down to simmer. 6:30 for yolks that are soft but just on the verge of setting. Take them out, briefly run the pot under cold water, and they peel beautifully.

If you're doing a bunch, keep them hot/warm and temperature shock them right before peeling.

This is a Cooks' Illustrated thing iirc.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

Help, I'm still poo poo at making white rice

It seems to always come out kind of sticky and mushy, I never get those separate and defined grains of rice. I don't have a rice cooker but I feel like there should still be some way to achieve this, or get close to it. I've just watched a few youtube videos and A) they say conflicting things and B) in some of them the people are claiming this is how to get rice that isn't sticky or mushy, yet you can see in the video that it obviously is

Understand that rice will always be sticky, you can't get rid of all the starch. I know what you're talking about, when rice obtains that homogeneous almost pudding like texture but I just want to set your expectations that out of the pot rice naturally clumps.

Wash the rice until the water is as transparent as it'll get to remove excess starch. Soak the rice for 15 minutes (short grain) to 30 minutes (long grain) which helps expand the rice slower while cooking. Use like 25% less water than the instructions so 1:1.5 for long grain or 1:1 for short grain Sushi style, too much water and you're basically getting congee. You'll know the rice is done when air holes form as the steam escapes. Dump the rice in the widest mixing bowl you have and just stir stir stir with a fork. You're evaporating the water from the surface and breaking the clumps up.

Now here's the real cheat method I've seen in Indian restaurants: prepare using the above methods (wash and soak) but use about 6 times the water to rice. Bring to boil then simmer. Taste a few grains for doneness then immediately strain. Cover with a paper towel to absorb steam. I've only seen this done for Basmati rice but once it cools you have restaurant style Indian rice.

Mikey Purp posted:

I've also found that dropping the eggs directly into an ice bath after cooking makes it more likely they'll be easier to peel.

Also if you're not doing so roll the egg on a hard, flat surface. This fractures the shell uniformly and prevents whatever that membrane is under the shell from sticking to the cooked whites and that's what tears up your perfect egg.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Anne Whateley posted:

Steam the eggs instead of boiling.

This is great, but even easier to do if you have an instant pot (6 minutes).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

So do you do low pressure steam for 6 minutes or what? I haven't been able to get the egg timing right in my instant pot yet.

Related note: How do you guys do your white rice in the instant pot. The old way of using the included cup to measure the rice then adding water up to that mark once I put the rice in doesn't work like it did on my old rice cooker, it's not nearly enough water. I'm sure I'm being dumb about it, so someone tell me how to make rice in my instant pot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

ulmont posted:

I have an instant pot, but it's still faster and easier on the stovetop because you don't have to wait for it to come up to pressure or release pressure. I think the instant pot also has a higher minimum amount of water?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So do you do low pressure steam for 6 minutes or what? I haven't been able to get the egg timing right in my instant pot yet.

I do high pressure for 6 minutes, but per the actual source I got something more like 4 for soft boiled might be a better plan.
https://skillet.lifehacker.com/the-first-seven-things-your-should-make-with-a-new-inst-1790730616

Anne Whateley posted:

I have an instant pot, but it's still faster and easier on the stovetop because you don't have to wait for it to come up to pressure or release pressure. I think the instant pot also has a higher minimum amount of water?

Faster I agree with, but for me "not having to pay any attention after you push the button" is always easier.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

al-azad posted:

Now here's the real cheat method I've seen in Indian restaurants: prepare using the above methods (wash and soak) but use about 6 times the water to rice. Bring to boil then simmer. Taste a few grains for doneness then immediately strain. Cover with a paper towel to absorb steam. I've only seen this done for Basmati rice but once it cools you have restaurant style Indian rice.

Basically cook it like you would noodles?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Bob Morales posted:

Basically cook it like you would noodles?

Yeah. If you've rinsed and soaked the rice it can take as little as five minutes to cook. Wouldn't call it a cheat, as it's the method used by most of the Indian families I've known. Big advantage over absorption methods is you don't have to muck around with the amount of water.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Paperhouse posted:

Help, I'm still poo poo at making white rice

It seems to always come out kind of sticky and mushy

Mushy is too much heat/over cooking. I make rice 4x/week so I've pretty much nailed it but if you're only making it occasionally or don't won't to think about it, just buy a rice steamer. Or start with the directions on the package and make minor adjustments as necessary.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I’ve found that pressure cooking even more than steaming helps the eggs peel evenly. Not sure why but even with fresh eggs it works.

I second the advice on rice in an instant pot I basically make congee every time I attempt it.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Andrea Nguyen has all the tips for you rice strugglers:

Regular stove: http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/03/how-to-cook-perfect-rice.html

Instant pot: https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2017/09/how-i-cook-great-rice-in-the-instant-pot.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I made 4 kinds of tofu. Now I have too much tofu. What should I do with all this tofu.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Cavenagh posted:

Yeah. If you've rinsed and soaked the rice it can take as little as five minutes to cook. Wouldn't call it a cheat, as it's the method used by most of the Indian families I've known. Big advantage over absorption methods is you don't have to muck around with the amount of water.

This is the way I always cook both basmati and jasmine rice - long soak before and cook in loads of water. Super fast to cook and as long as you stand over it and check a few grains regularly for doneness it always comes out perfectly. The only downside is that you can't do the kind of flavoured rices that you cook in stock very easily.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

I made 4 kinds of tofu. Now I have too much tofu. What should I do with all this tofu.

:randpop:

How firm is it? For silken, I like agedashi, though I've never made it at home. For firm, toss in cornstarch and fry a bit harder, then remove from wok and stir fry veggies. Add sauce and tofu, tossing to combine and rewarm.

If the texture sucks, there's always ma po tofu or making tofu chorizo crumbles. Kenji has a great soyrizo recipe.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
What's the DL on sweet potato rinds? Nutritious, delicious or borderline edible?

Planning to slice, dice and oven roast them for lunchboxes.

So some spice recommendations would also be nice.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Hawgh posted:

What's the DL on sweet potato rinds? Nutritious, delicious or borderline edible?

Planning to slice, dice and oven roast them for lunchboxes.

So some spice recommendations would also be nice.

I always leave the skins on sweet potatoes. Also see this for roasting-- it gives the most delicious sweet potatoes. I don't sweeten them at all, though, I usually just leave them plain with oil & salt. If I want flavor I go with crushed rosemary (crush it yourself-- it's so much better). I'd give you a measurement on the rosemary, but it's "enough to give each piece some rosemary."

(Also Target's Archer Farms brand has cubed roasted frozen sweet potatoes and they're pretty alright when dressed up with some butter and rosemary. Texture is off, of course, but since it cooks in 6 minutes I'll forgive it on hot summer days.)

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
I have a large boneless lamb shank that's already been cut up into 2" cubes. Other than stewing, are there any other recipes or techniques the meat would be good for?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jikes posted:

I have a large boneless lamb shank that's already been cut up into 2" cubes. Other than stewing, are there any other recipes or techniques the meat would be good for?

Use a yogurt based marinade, and then grill. Just mix a bunch of spices into some plain yogurt.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jikes posted:

Marinate overnight in apple cider vinegar and garlic, skewer with cherry tomatoes and sweet pepper, grill like a kebab very hot and very fast, salt and pepper to taste, eat on pita with sauces of choice. I did this with a lean pork shank once, it turned out super good. Kebabs are fun for experimenting.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I'm making a side dish tomorrow for a group of people that have a ridiculous combined set of dietary no-nos (no gluten, no dairy (ghee OK), no tomatoes, no mushrooms, no seafood, no bananas or cucumbers).

I planned to make spicy pork cabbage rolls, with the mixture being ground pork and chorizo in a 3:1 ratio, with garlic, ginger, cilantro, scallions, some gluten-free soy sauce and fish sauce in the mixture. Sauce will likely be some mix of hoisin, sugar, shaoxing, and chili paste.

Does this look like a good mix to you all? Any suggestions on the sauce in particular? Is the chorizo a strange flavor in with the more Asian-leaning mix?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man I thought I thought cooking thanksgiving for vegans and muslims was tough

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Kalista posted:

I'm making a side dish tomorrow for a group of people that have a ridiculous combined set of dietary no-nos (no gluten, no dairy (ghee OK), no tomatoes, no mushrooms, no seafood, no bananas or cucumbers).

I planned to make spicy pork cabbage rolls, with the mixture being ground pork and chorizo in a 3:1 ratio, with garlic, ginger, cilantro, scallions, some gluten-free soy sauce and fish sauce in the mixture. Sauce will likely be some mix of hoisin, sugar, shaoxing, and chili paste.

Does this look like a good mix to you all? Any suggestions on the sauce in particular? Is the chorizo a strange flavor in with the more Asian-leaning mix?

That sounds great. Honestly, a teaspoon of angry lady or sambal oelek wouldn't be out of place in that filling, it'll help bridge the Chorizo-garlic/ginger/scallion divide.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I tried roasting some shelled, blanched but otherwise raw peanuts at 350 for about 20 minutes, going for a dark roast, but they ended up with a little bit of a burnt popcorn taste. What I want is for them to be that perfect nut brown you get in about 1 out of every 15 shelled peanuts in a bin from a supermarket, with that nice rich flavor. These weren't even as dark as those are but still had that burnt edge. Is there anything I can change to get closer to my ideal?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I made this sandwich last week: https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/2017/8/22/fitz-sandwich?rq=fitz

I bought pound of 20 month San Daniele Prosciutto expecting to be bowled over by the 27 dollars of meat I bought for 4 servings of sandwich. The person at the meat counter spent like 15 minutes slicing up a pound of it very thinly. The meat wound up having a really bland taste, lots of stringy bits of fat, and lots of big hunks of fat that were difficult to chew and felt like nasty blobs in my mouth. I was extremely disappointed. Am I an idiot who can't appreciate food, did I screw up eating it somehow, or is prosciutto just not for me?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fr0id posted:

I made this sandwich last week: https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/2017/8/22/fitz-sandwich?rq=fitz

I bought pound of 20 month San Daniele Prosciutto expecting to be bowled over by the 27 dollars of meat I bought for 4 servings of sandwich. The person at the meat counter spent like 15 minutes slicing up a pound of it very thinly. The meat wound up having a really bland taste, lots of stringy bits of fat, and lots of big hunks of fat that were difficult to chew and felt like nasty blobs in my mouth. I was extremely disappointed. Am I an idiot who can't appreciate food, did I screw up eating it somehow, or is prosciutto just not for me?

Was it raw (crudo) or seasoned? Raw ham isn't going to have much of a flavor, you're relying on the other ingredients for flavor while the meat provides texture although I can't say I've had as bad an experience as you describe. I like the chew, and I find the fat melts in my mouth but I'm literally the only person I know who seeks out headcheese so call me biased on this.

I don't know if it went straight from the fridge to your sandwich but try letting it sit out for ~30 minutes at room temperature to mellow out.

e: Oh, San Danielle is cured. It shouldn't taste "bland" though, it's salt cured.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 22, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I've had San Daniele and it was delicious and buttery. Maybe it needs to warm up and if that doesn't help maybe it was crap prosciutto

Ideally I think when it's room temp it should be greasing up your fingers, if it has softer fat content

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Making beef stew and dumplings for dinner today. I've got the beef already. Anyone have a go-to simple recipe they use? Nothing overly fancy or high effort. Just a basic, homely, comfort food-esque recipe will do the trick.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Crappy prosciutto can be crisped up like bacon. It's not the same by any means, but you won't have chewy fat. It doesn't take as long though.

Try the room temperature idea first though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Can cayenne's heat level be increased by how you cook it?

I made a spicy garlic shrimp recipe that I got years ago from GWS https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2951080 and I always use the same amount of cayenne (recipe calls for 1 tsp, but that's too much so I do 3/4 tsp).

Anyways, you add oil to a skillet, then sugar, salt, garlic, cayenne, and you cook it for a few minutes before adding tomato sauce/sherry/rice vinegar.

Today I cooked the sugar/salt/garlic/cayenne for a little longer than I normally do, and I added the sherry and rice vinegar before adding the tomato sauce. Anyways, it tasted much spicier than how I normally cook it (cooking the salt/garlic/cayenne not *quite* as long as today, and adding the tomato sauce/sherry/vinegar together).

Can you bloom cayenne to the point where it gets hotter? Just trying to think of what I could have done differently this time where it tasted spicier.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

nwin posted:

Can you bloom cayenne to the point where it gets hotter? Just trying to think of what I could have done differently this time where it tasted spicier.

I'd say if you normally bloom it for X minutes and today you bloomed it for X + a small # more minutes, that wouldn't affect it significantly.

Without more details, question #1 is did you open new jar of cayenne? Spices, especially ground, change drastically over their shelf life.

Question #2: did you measure precisely or eyeball it? Q#3: did you enjoy with alcohol, which can increase sensitivity to spiciness? Q#4: could balancing flavors have changed, perhaps due to eyeballing sugar?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd say if you normally bloom it for X minutes and today you bloomed it for X + a small # more minutes, that wouldn't affect it significantly.

Without more details, question #1 is did you open new jar of cayenne? Spices, especially ground, change drastically over their shelf life.

Question #2: did you measure precisely or eyeball it? Q#3: did you enjoy with alcohol, which can increase sensitivity to spiciness? Q#4: could balancing flavors have changed, perhaps due to eyeballing sugar?

1) same jar of cayenne
2) eyeball; I take a 1 tsp spoon and go about .75 full, so it’s entirely possible I used a little more.
3) no alcohol
4) exact measurement.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
This is probably an idiotic question but rice-chat is de rigueur around here recently so :downs:

I found a biryani recipe that I wanted to try that is all from scratch except for it calling for a couple of pouches of that pre-cooked microwaveable rice that get thrown in the pan and tossed around for the last few minutes of cooking time. That stuff is just cooked rice (sometimes with some preservatives to stop the nasties, depending on the brand), so there's no reason I can't just cook the same amount of rice myself and use that, right? It just wants a plain basmati version so it's not like I'm missing out on other added ingredients and it'd be added just after cooking it so it's not sitting around for a botulism-tastic reheat. I'm not mental for wanting to use a few pennies/cents of rice instead of going and buying the overpriced insta-version am I?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Go forth and use real rice.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Go forth and use real rice.

Thanks! I thought I was over-thinking it but sometimes you doubt yourself, y'know? What an odd time-saver to put in a recipe that is otherwise not time-saver-y.

Q8ee posted:

Making beef stew and dumplings for dinner today. I've got the beef already. Anyone have a go-to simple recipe they use? Nothing overly fancy or high effort. Just a basic, homely, comfort food-esque recipe will do the trick.

A day late for yer stew (hope it was good!), but for future homely, comfort dumpling action I love this which is pretty low effort and could easily be adapted for beef beef rather than mince/ground.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

There's a new curry place down the street, and they put a glacé cherry in each takeaway container of rice.

Is that an actual thing people do, or are they just odd?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

There's a new curry place down the street, and they put a glacé cherry in each takeaway container of rice.

Based on empirical evidence, I would say that is an actual thing people do.

However, I haven't personally seen it or heard of it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

The gently caress?

That's even worse than curly parsley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I always thought the red thing you see on rice in anime was a cherry but no it's a pickled plum.

I have eaten at a Persian place that put sour cherries in rice but it's a dish, not a garnish.