Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Oh god I don't know if I should play the story again wearing the bath towel or the Anubis set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

PlushCow posted:

Modern day stuff wouldve actually been good if they hadn't half-assed the whole Animus training the player (Desmond) ancient assassin skills and had an actual cool sequence where you are using all youve learned. I can't remember AC3 all that much but you ran on some rafters and also had a gun and it sucked.

Yeah, it looked like they were going that way until they didn't. Maybe they will this time around. They're certainly setting it up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shredder posted:

Viper Tooth has a chance to poison on hit, which it usually does. This creates a giant cloud of death due to poisoned bodies lying all over the place, which you can just stand in the middle of or kite through while everyone stops to choke/throw up. Also the overpower is loving awesome for groups of guys.

Definitely sounds awesome but I don't have that one yet.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh god I don't know if I should play the story again wearing the bath towel or the Anubis set

Bath towel when in a city/town, Anubis when you’re out in the countryside.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I hope they're not messing with the caravan spawning :ohdear:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Turns out that in the Discovery Tour, topless female statues in the Royal Palace in Alexandria are censored by having seashells hovering in front of their nipples. At the same time, the tours include screenshots of paintings with nudity in them, which is not censored. You have to wonder what the thought process of the developers was like.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Probably "well it's stupid but <ratings board/console maker/government agency> told us to censor the statue nipples, so we have to do it."

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Another weird one: There is a tour showing education of children in Alexandria, and there is a scene with boys and girls being tutored together. The narration goes "this is historically inaccurate, but the designers chose to prioritise inclusive gameplay instead of depicting historical sexism". Except this is purely window dressing, so doesn't affect gameplay at all.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Lobok posted:

Definitely sounds awesome but I don't have that one yet.

I think I got mine from a phylactery so maybe go finish those guys off.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Shredder posted:

Now I want a DLC where you fight Lich!Ptolemy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shredder posted:

I'll make sure to destroy all those drat boxes!

Seriously though, I killed the last two last night and didn't get it. I did get yet another copy of the Fourth Plague bow. Think I'm up to three now.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Lobok posted:

Seriously though, I killed the last two last night and didn't get it. I did get yet another copy of the Fourth Plague bow. Think I'm up to three now.

Yeah I didn't realize they dropped duplicates, I got a 2nd legendary predator bow from one of the DLC phlebotomists, was hoping for cool new toys. :mad:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of Phylakes, I cheesed the last two. Made them chase me up and around rock faces and as they tried to I kept dropping on them with Stealth Attacks until the attack became an Assassination. Open combat against them is too annoying unless I kite them way out to the middle of nowhere.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
So is that update out yet?

e] nvm updating now :toot:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 20, 2018

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

This game has more hilarious antics around setting things and people on fire than Dwarf Fortress. I cleared out an encampment by chucking a torch into a haystack next to a patrolling guard who then ran around the camp setting everything on fire until he got to the oil storage, which took care of the commander. Then I just sauntered in and looted the chest to complete the location.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kopijeger posted:

Another weird one: There is a tour showing education of children in Alexandria, and there is a scene with boys and girls being tutored together. The narration goes "this is historically inaccurate, but the designers chose to prioritise inclusive gameplay instead of depicting historical sexism". Except this is purely window dressing, so doesn't affect gameplay at all.

they were probaly afraid someone would notice and ther would be some dumb controversy or some poo poo because some people are morons who get mad at stupid poo poo, like the past not having 21st century values. that being said, assassins creed has always been progressive and cool like that, so its not really surprising honestly.

how is the narration anyway? it seemed a little stiff in the preview.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 21, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

xarph posted:

This game has more hilarious antics around setting things and people on fire than Dwarf Fortress. I cleared out an encampment by chucking a torch into a haystack next to a patrolling guard who then ran around the camp setting everything on fire until he got to the oil storage, which took care of the commander. Then I just sauntered in and looted the chest to complete the location.

I don't ever get fun stuff like this. I'm trying to get the trophy for killng 30 enemies with oil jars and I probably started way too late in the game because guards do not reliably die from fire damage so I have to set up each guard with perfect positioning, sleep darts, and at least a couple jars.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lobok posted:

Speaking of Phylakes, I cheesed the last two. Made them chase me up and around rock faces and as they tried to I kept dropping on them with Stealth Attacks until the attack became an Assassination. Open combat against them is too annoying unless I kite them way out to the middle of nowhere.

They're kinda chumps if you have a spear/axe and attack them from camelback when they're on foot.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Yeah, keep riding circles around them, moving in and out of bow range so they can't fire at you reliably, and swat them in the back of the head until they die.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

I don't ever get fun stuff like this. I'm trying to get the trophy for killng 30 enemies with oil jars and I probably started way too late in the game because guards do not reliably die from fire damage so I have to set up each guard with perfect positioning, sleep darts, and at least a couple jars.

Can't you go clear a level 8 camp or something low level like that?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Lobok posted:

There's a fort in Alexandria to the northwest, it's full of red jars and low level guards. It's right on the coast, I think.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

orcane posted:

Can't you go clear a level 8 camp or something low level like that?

For sure. I was back in Siwa doing something else and I burned up a couple level 1 and 2 guards. When I say "going for the trophy" I mean I'm keeping it in mind as I go through the game doing other stuff. Will go to low-level camps if I really need to but I don't want to spend my time revisiting locations just yet.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

For sure. I was back in Siwa doing something else and I burned up a couple level 1 and 2 guards. When I say "going for the trophy" I mean I'm keeping it in mind as I go through the game doing other stuff. Will go to low-level camps if I really need to but I don't want to spend my time revisiting locations just yet.

Yeah that's fair, doing trophies of this kind as you just play the game is the most sane/fun way, usually.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

orcane posted:

Yeah that's fair, doing trophies of this kind as you just play the game is the most sane/fun way, usually.

I've never been the type to plat games but it's good to keep a few of these kinds of trophies in mind while playing to provide a little incentive to improve variety.

Where the developers have done it wrong in the past was with Optional Objectives, partly because those often had interesting things to try out but it sucked that they were keyed only to their respective story chapters instead of being available as challenges during any mission or free-roam play. The Guild Challenges in Brotherhood were way better.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So how's New Game+ treating people?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Morter posted:

So how's New Game+ treating people?

I was surprised to see a level 41 grunt at the first fortress in the story, guess I just won't be one shotting everything in existence after all.

The Anubis outfit however is making every cutscene hilarious.

HELLO FRIENDS IT IS ME, BAYEK. IGNORE MY CLAWS AND FLAMING SKIN.

Sadly I missed the one where the helmet was looking right into the camera and the subtitle was "What, you mean you do not have the power of a god?" :haw:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Capn Beeb posted:

I was surprised to see a level 41 grunt at the first fortress in the story, guess I just won't be one shotting everything in existence after all.

The Anubis outfit however is making every cutscene hilarious.

HELLO FRIENDS IT IS ME, BAYEK. IGNORE MY CLAWS AND FLAMING SKIN.

Sadly I missed the one where the helmet was looking right into the camera and the subtitle was "What, you mean you do not have the power of a god?" :haw:

can't wait for to start with knight outfit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently you get a special reward for beating New Game Plus.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

muscles like this! posted:

Burning Towel.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muscles like this! posted:

Does every NPC in the game change to wearing the towel?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://news.ubisoft.com/article/assassins-creed-origins-curse-of-the-pharaohs-lets-you-explore-a-new-world-fight-undead-royalty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGJ_x_4XVyA

This is gonna be so drat cool aaaaa

Oh and it's been delayed a week, March 13th now.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
RE: Flame jar trophy. The enemies can be unconscious when set on fire. I knocked a bunch of soldiers out and put jars on top of them. :supaburn:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

poptart_fairy posted:

RE: Flame jar trophy. The enemies can be unconscious when set on fire. I knocked a bunch of soldiers out and put jars on top of them. :supaburn:

That's usually been my tactic. Hit a guard with a sleep dart and bring jars over to him. Sometimes in combat I can position myself near some jars and as the guard goes past them to get to me I put `em to sleep and light up the jars.

I'd be really annoyed and perplexed if I were one of the guys fighting Bayek watching this happen. Bayek puts aways his weapons, pulls out a dart, throws it at my buddy, who immediately falls unconscious, then Bayek pulls out a bow and notches an arrow that has somehow been on fire the whole time, and fires the arrow to destroy a jar that's right there at his own feet.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Should I do NG+ then tackle the DLC once I've beaten the game?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Should I do NG+ then tackle the DLC once I've beaten the game?

No.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is there literally any way to kill a retreating enemy? I keep finding myself in a situation where an enemy is trotting away backwards, and I'm chasing them with a sword, and if I try to stab them the half-second of windup puts them out of range. This is the dumbest loving problem.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lock him and shoot him with the bow.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Krazyface posted:

Is there literally any way to kill a retreating enemy? I keep finding myself in a situation where an enemy is trotting away backwards, and I'm chasing them with a sword, and if I try to stab them the half-second of windup puts them out of range. This is the dumbest loving problem.

Use a bow, as mentioned above.
Fire a sleep dart.
Do a shield charge (requires learning that skill and uses adrenaline).
Some weapons have attacks that will have you charge at the enemy, like tapping R2 with dual blades, holding R2 with a spear, or holding R1 with a sceptre (the sceptre one requires the "push" attack skill).
Some weapons' Overpower moves will run you up to the enemy before unleashing your attack, like regular swords and dual blades.
If you get close enough, drop a smoke bomb.
If there's enough room you could call your mount.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
You can chain attacks with a dodge so I always just dodged towards the enemy and hit the attack button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I find that most of the usual options don't work against shield dudes, in a base. I really haven't been using smoke-bombs enough, though, I never internalised them in this game. It's just silly that enemies can run backwards at nearly the same speed I go forward.