Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Did Avengers actually dual number? I thought they just went straight back.

I thought they did during the story-arc with the Captain Britain wannabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

I thought they did during the story-arc with the Captain Britain wannabe.

Maybe then, I can't remember that far back.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
As stupid as dual-numbering can be (and I'd argue that it's possible to do it right... maybe), it's still preferable to straight up renumbering, IMHO.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

As stupid as dual-numbering can be (and I'd argue that it's possible to do it right... maybe), it's still preferable to straight up renumbering, IMHO.

I'm fine with new starts, it's the back number that I've had enough with. Especially how stupid Marvel was with it this last time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Marvel losing their minds over the numbers that shouldn't matter really just puts things into perspective.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I like that line-up for the Avengers. I don't know if anyone's said that yet.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jen looks super cool. I haven't really enjoyed her current solo, it's super slow paced and boring, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of a more troubled She-Hulk and I'd like to see her in Aaron's hands.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

More troubled than in the comic all about her PTSD?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That's what I mean, her current status quo is interesting but I don't think her ongoing is very good. I'd like to see a writer I really like take a crack at the character as she is now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goldnir looks pretty silly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Goldnir looks pretty silly.

Just seems weird with Beta Ray Bill having his gold Stormbringer. Hell, after Jane maybe they should have made Bill Thor or made him the main character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Giving Thor a hammer again while Jane is still Thor seems like a really weird compromise that came from the top down.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Android Blues posted:

That's what I mean, her current status quo is interesting but I don't think her ongoing is very good. I'd like to see a writer I really like take a crack at the character as she is now.

I actually really liked the current book, I thought the slow pacing really fit the themes they where exploring. I feel it dropped in quality with the date issue, just before being renamed She-Hulk. While not bad, the sudden light tone didn't fit what had come before. It also seemed pretty obvious afterword that they where rushing to finish the story before cancellation, and I think it lost a lot of nuance as a result.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Everything revealed about this so far is boring and uninspired as hell. Gwen and Jane are almost over, everything looks like it’s desperately getting back to basics and nothing they’ve announced tickles my fancy in the slightest. Think I might be done with Marvel for a while.

And great, there’s whispers that Aphra is wrapping up soon too. It’s like they don’t want me to give them money or something, I swear.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I really liked the first arc but after that I felt like it had unbearably slow pacing, and I didn't love the arc with the monster-ified Youtube star. I love the idea of Jen recovering from trauma and the Hulk being an expression of that, but it's just so decompressed.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Android Blues posted:

I really liked the first arc but after that I felt like it had unbearably slow pacing, and I didn't love the arc with the monster-ified Youtube star. I love the idea of Jen recovering from trauma and the Hulk being an expression of that, but it's just so decompressed.

That's fair, the second arc wasn't as strong as the first. It felt like a small piece of the overall narrative that might have fit in better if the series had gone on for one or two more arcs. As much as I liked the book, I'm not surprised the pacing lost a lot of readers. I am excited to see where Aaron takes the character.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Well, after reading Infinity Countdown Prime, I must say I was not expecting to see the Magus die so early in the event. Especially not at the hands of Pymtron

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

If they can keep Aaron floating in good artists like they did with Hickman, Avengers could be a very good book again.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

That’s probably the laziest relaunch I have ever seen in the comic industry

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

^burtle posted:

If they can keep Aaron floating in good artists like they did with Hickman, Avengers could be a very good book again.

As I said above, Aaron's had a good run of good artists at Marvel, so I doubt that will change.

Which means he'll get Land followed by Larocca because Marvel is really dumb.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

As I said above, Aaron's had a good run of good artists at Marvel, so I doubt that will change.

Which means he'll get Land followed by Larocca because Marvel is really dumb.

I'm just imagining Larocca cutting out screencaps of Chris Evans with that filter he does like he does with Star Wars, and I'm just :aaaaa:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Roth posted:

I'm just imagining Larocca cutting out screencaps of Chris Evans with that filter he does like he does with Star Wars, and I'm just :aaaaa:

Only if he's in art duties for the arc where Johnny Storm joins the team.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Only if he's in art duties for the arc where Johnny Storm joins the team.

Half of the panels use Chris Evans, and the other half uses Michael B Jordan.

Nobody comments on this at all.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Roth posted:

Half of the panels use Chris Evans, and the other half uses Michael B Jordan.

Nobody comments on this at all.

And Killmonger is the villain.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Thor makes me sad. :smith:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Top Gun posted:

That’s probably the laziest relaunch I have ever seen in the comic industry

lord knows Marvel hasn't exactly earned much benefit of the doubt of late, but in fairness, they've only announced like three books

also, can't be any lazier than Legacy, which was announced and promoted as though it were a linewide relaunch despite only a quarter or so of the books being new or having new writers (because it was a fake relaunch hastily cobbled together as a stopgap in response to books like Secret Empire underperforming, but I think we all know that)

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 21, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I'm really, really tired of seeing Deodato doing art for event comics/anything involving Wolverine, but I'll admit the spread in Infinity Countdown Prime showing different Captain Marvels finding their respective realities' Reality Stones, with the one on the farthest right that's mostly cut-off being pretty obviously Billy Batson with Carol's palette, made me laugh out loud.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is Infinity Countdown worth grabbing? Normally I'd snach up anything with Carol and Logan in it, but I'm still feeling burned from the last two events, even if its not really an event.

Autism Sneaks posted:

I'm really, really tired of seeing Deodato doing art for event comics/anything involving Wolverine, but I'll admit the spread in Infinity Countdown Prime showing different Captain Marvels finding their respective realities' Reality Stones, with the one on the farthest right that's mostly cut-off being pretty obviously Billy Batson with Carol's palette, made me laugh out loud.

Okay, that kinda makes me want to get it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How's regular Logan back?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Synthbuttrange posted:

How's regular Logan back?

*See Search for Wolverine for details in April, starting at $5.99 for the first issue.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Is Infinity Countdown worth grabbing? Normally I'd snach up anything with Carol and Logan in it, but I'm still feeling burned from the last two events, even if its not really an event.

It's less an event and more just an expanded storyline of Duggan's run on Guardians of the Galaxy, which has been fantastic so far. I'd definitely recommend it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lobok posted:

Just seems weird with Beta Ray Bill having his gold Stormbringer. Hell, after Jane maybe they should have made Bill Thor or made him the main character.

Stormbringer actually is why Gold Mjolnir works for me; it makes it seem like "newly-cast uru metal is gold, and it's only after centuries that the finish tarnishes to the grey that Mjolnir was."

Which is as headcanon-y as it gets, admittedly, but it makes sense, so I'm gonna stick with it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Roth posted:

*See Search for Wolverine for details in April, starting at $5.99 for the first issue.

But he's back now, why do I have to search for him? :I

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Stormbringer actually is why Gold Mjolnir works for me; it makes it seem like "newly-cast uru metal is gold, and it's only after centuries that the finish tarnishes to the grey that Mjolnir was."

Which is as headcanon-y as it gets, admittedly, but it makes sense, so I'm gonna stick with it.

Except for all the other newly forged Uru weapons that were grey like the Thunderstrike mace or Red Norvell's hammer or even Mjolnir in flashbacks.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, that kinda makes me want to get it.

I really liked it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Horrible Taste posted:

Except for all the other newly forged Uru weapons that were grey like the Thunderstrike mace or Red Norvell's hammer or even Mjolnir in flashbacks.

Hush. You're making my theory not work and I hate that. :colbert:

Also everyone should read Luke Cage #170. Just read it. You will thank me later.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The bit with Loki and Logan in Infinity Countdown makes me really hope Duggan's writing whatever Fresh Start (I hate this name) book Logan is in

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So Illuminating Comics is currently going through the lead up to Secret Empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I've got to give Garth Ennis credit for the relatively *tame* ending to Punisher: The Platoon. Generally ~strong women~ don't meet good ends in his books, but this time I thought it was handled perfectly by it being "none of our business."

• Locked thread