Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Devil's Level is in it's last 18 hours. It's past the last stretch goal, so now everybody who backs for the game also gets an enamel pin in honor of Admin's dead cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
The Golden Sky Stories: Twilight Tales Kickstarter is finally live.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nekoewen/golden-sky-stories-twilight-tales

This is the English version of the first Japanese supplement (Mononoke Koyake), which adds the mononoke, so in addition to henge you can play as more exotic types of critters.

Also one of the stretch goals is an English version of the character options from the Touhou GSS doujinshi, which is an actual thing that exists.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Ewen Cluney posted:

the English version of the first Japanese supplement

How many are there all in all and what are they about?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Foglet posted:

How many are there all in all and what are they about?
There are three Japanese supplements:

Mononoke Koyake (Twilight Tales) is the one we're Kickstarting, which has all the rules for mononoke and two adventure scenarios (though we're adding two original scenarios by T.S. Luikart to our English version of the book).

Hitotsuna Komichi introduces "elder henge" (spiders, snakes, and centipedes) as new character types, and has guidelines for assembling new character types (with turtle henge as a worked example), plus two scenarios.

Kore Kara no Michi has a full writeup for playing as human characters, and then a larger collection of scenarios and stories that tell a lot of the backstory of Hitotsuna Town. Although they may eventually do more with the game, they framed it as the conclusion of the GSS line.

And there's also Touhou Yuuyake Koyake, though they released it as a doujin and not a part of the main product line, which has character options for Gensokyo inhabitants and two replays (in which the one player who doesn't know Touhou plays Riko the raccoon dog from GSS who somehow wound up in Gensokyo).

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I kept hoping someone else will start a conversation in this thread about Edge of Darkness' Kickstarter because I didn't want to start the discussion on a big downer note but oh well here goes!

I really don't know what to make of this thing. There are only two tiers: the basic tier which does not include stretch goals and then a large edition which includes stretch goals and expansion materials. The stretch goals so far are turning cardboard chits into plastic chits (a little disappointing to me as I much prefer wood or metal for a premium upgrade) and now the most recent stretch goal unlocked is adding guacamole bowls to the box to put your plastic chits in.

Otherwise the clear plastic card stacking system is pretty neat but I'm thinking maybe I should just buy this game's predecessor Mystic Vale? I'd be interested in other opinions.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Merrill Grinch posted:

I kept hoping someone else will start a conversation in this thread about Edge of Darkness' Kickstarter because I didn't want to start the discussion on a big downer note but oh well here goes!

I really don't know what to make of this thing. There are only two tiers: the basic tier which does not include stretch goals and then a large edition which includes stretch goals and expansion materials. The stretch goals so far are turning cardboard chits into plastic chits (a little disappointing to me as I much prefer wood or metal for a premium upgrade) and now the most recent stretch goal unlocked is adding guacamole bowls to the box to put your plastic chits in.

Otherwise the clear plastic card stacking system is pretty neat but I'm thinking maybe I should just buy this game's predecessor Mystic Vale? I'd be interested in other opinions.

Don’t buy Kickstarter games.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Or do buy Kickstarter games and turn around and flip them on eBay for $$$ when you get them.

Thank you for the equivalent of a couple of car payments worth of disposable income, Gloomhaven.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Not kickstarter, but a guy who posts in the main Kings of War group on facebook was encouraged to start this patreon after showing off some paper standee units he'd made as a cheap alternative to minis, I think for his kid?

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if there are any preview or quick start rules for Tiny Wastelands?

It launched a week ago and is already funded, with over 2 weeks still to go, but I'd like an idea of how ot plays before I put $13AUD up for just the PDF level.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nights of Fire kickstarter is up. I've been personally involved in playtesting this so I have a vested interest in it, but the game is legit pretty cool and can play both 1v1 (or 1v2) and also solo. The theme is the Soviet crushing the Hungarian uprising in the 50s.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

crowtribe posted:

Does anyone know if there are any preview or quick start rules for Tiny Wastelands?

It launched a week ago and is already funded, with over 2 weeks still to go, but I'd like an idea of how ot plays before I put $13AUD up for just the PDF level.

There is a sort of adventure/quickstart available for Tiny Dungeons 2E. It's not exactly what you are after, but the underlying rules system is the same.

e: it is here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ewen Cluney posted:

And there's also Touhou Yuuyake Koyake, though they released it as a doujin and not a part of the main product line, which has character options for Gensokyo inhabitants and two replays (in which the one player who doesn't know Touhou plays Riko the raccoon dog from GSS who somehow wound up in Gensokyo).

Yeah, if anybody's going to danmaku, the tanuki seems like it's got the most going for it.

I mean, I could understand if they didn't say much about it given the book's prior treatment of violence, but please say they put in rules for that.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Merrill Grinch posted:

Yeah, the game looks cool but the way they're running the project rubs me the wrong way. I'm not really $100 (plus $20 shipping, apparently) interested in the game, but the core game will almost certainly be cheaper at retail and the $100 version is the only one that's likely to have anything I wouldn't be able to get that way. It feels gross to limit all the stretch goals to the $$$ tier. It feels underwhelming to have almost all the stretch goals as component upgrades (and that they're only for this special expensive KS edition is both making putting down money for access to the stretch goals less appealing and making that limit feel even more gross). It's not clear when or how or for how much the extra content that's in the $100 level will be made available to people who back at the cheaper tier. Etc.

Apparently they see the $100 tier as the game and the $60 tier as a way to dip your toes in if you can't afford $100, but, well...I don't see this as a $100 game.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tekopo posted:

Nights of Fire kickstarter is up. I've been personally involved in playtesting this so I have a vested interest in it, but the game is legit pretty cool and can play both 1v1 (or 1v2) and also solo. The theme is the Soviet crushing the Hungarian uprising in the 50s.

Nobody tell Tankie Twitter

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Crackbone posted:

Don’t buy Kickstarter games.

I love that the general consensus around here seems to be "Don't back things on Kickstarter", until something good comes out and then instead it's "sucks that I can't get all those exclusives :mad:"

gently caress off, buy games however you want

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Glazius posted:

Yeah, if anybody's going to danmaku, the tanuki seems like it's got the most going for it.

I mean, I could understand if they didn't say much about it given the book's prior treatment of violence, but please say they put in rules for that.
It's more about heartwarming stories involving Touhou type characters. There are powers you can take called Shot and Spell Card that cause pretty ridiculous amounts of Surprise though. One replay has the PCs trying to help Cirno give a proper goodbye to Letty Whiterock (but not before getting into a dustup with ⑨), while the other has the PCs trying to get Kaguya to do some work and stop being a NEET, which the footnotes tell me is a thing in Touhou fanon.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Merauder posted:

I love that the general consensus around here seems to be "Don't back things on Kickstarter", until something good comes out and then instead it's "sucks that I can't get all those exclusives :mad:"

counterpoint: the good kickstarters don't have exclusives

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Merauder posted:

KS exclusives are part of the things that make KS bullshit bad. I don’t mind exclusive upgrades whatever doesn’t matter, but expansions that won’t be released at retail? :lol:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Merauder posted:

The general consensus here is "don't back lovely things on Kickstarter" which isn't exactly a very controversial take, but I guess that doesn't make for something good to get mad about.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ewen Cluney posted:

It's more about heartwarming stories involving Touhou type characters. There are powers you can take called Shot and Spell Card that cause pretty ridiculous amounts of Surprise though. One replay has the PCs trying to help Cirno give a proper goodbye to Letty Whiterock (but not before getting into a dustup with ⑨), while the other has the PCs trying to get Kaguya to do some work and stop being a NEET, which the footnotes tell me is a thing in Touhou fanon.

Yeah, that's about what I expected. I wasn't looking for any, like, formalisms of spell card construction, given how idiosyncratic they are anyway, but it's good that they're there. Touhou has legitimately featured minibosses who weren't attempting to incident it all up ins but were just so enthused about the current goings-on they couldn't stop firing indiscriminately.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Hey folks - I know there are some Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2e backers here so I just wanted to notify you that the pledge manager I'm using for it has messed up pretty significantly. They've double-counted the weight of some items and overcharged, failed to notify people when their shipping costs increased and they needed to pay more, etc etc. I'd recommend you log on to your pledge manager account, check you have as many copies of each reward coming to you as you were expecting, and if you have an outstanding balance to pay or credit owed back to you. Happy to process full or partial refunds as desired, this has been a real headache over the past week.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Flavivirus posted:

Hey folks - I know there are some Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2e backers here so I just wanted to notify you that the pledge manager I'm using for it has messed up pretty significantly. They've double-counted the weight of some items and overcharged, failed to notify people when their shipping costs increased and they needed to pay more, etc etc. I'd recommend you log on to your pledge manager account, check you have as many copies of each reward coming to you as you were expecting, and if you have an outstanding balance to pay or credit owed back to you. Happy to process full or partial refunds as desired, this has been a real headache over the past week.

FWIW, you've been really responsive and helpful in my own contacts with you to figure out what was going on. I imagine you must've had an Inbox overflowing with "Why'd my shipping change" messages but I really appreciated your taking the time to get back to me personally. Also, the Dropbox previews have been superb. Really excited to make this my next campaign to run.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Flavivirus posted:

Oh, cool, I didn't realize the project creator was a goon!
I was going back and forth about whether to stay at the pdf level or go all-in for the print books and dry-erase cards. You'll be happy to know that I took the plunge and upped my pledge yesterday for the print copies (although yes, I know I'll have to wait until the alternate settings are done until it all ships).

Thanks for running a nice campaign. I'm still an RPG newbie, but it looks like an interesting system and I like the flexibility the alternate settings provide.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

JazzFlight posted:

Oh, cool, I didn't realize the project creator was a goon!
I was going back and forth about whether to stay at the pdf level or go all-in for the print books and dry-erase cards. You'll be happy to know that I took the plunge and upped my pledge yesterday for the print copies (although yes, I know I'll have to wait until the alternate settings are done until it all ships).

Thanks for running a nice campaign. I'm still an RPG newbie, but it looks like an interesting system and I like the flexibility the alternate settings provide.

Not only am I a goon, the first edition was written as an entry in a game design contest here :d: The coupon I got from getting second place there bought me my first stock art, which made the alpha doc nice enough to attract playtesters, and the rest is history.
Glad to hear you like the campaign so far, really looking forward to getting the final version out to backers.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Not only am I a goon, the first edition was written as an entry in a game design contest here :d: The coupon I got from getting second place there bought me my first stock art, which made the alpha doc nice enough to attract playtesters, and the rest is history.
Glad to hear you like the campaign so far, really looking forward to getting the final version out to backers.

This sounds like an ideal story for a short documentary or something. Glad it's going well for you!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That's a way better story than the time I won a contest here by drawing a big ol' moose knuckle.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

crowtribe posted:

In addition to the above; Tiny Wastelands basically uses the same rules as Tiny Frontiers, which is now Pay What You Want on Drivethru: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/188485/Tiny-Frontiers . Tiny Wastelands has different options and some new rules, but the system is identical.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Flavivirus posted:

I am super looking forward to Rhapsody of Blood, but all the 2nd edition stuff is beautiful so far. I have a few friends that backed after I showed them the art and concept from the Kickstarter.

Sometimes the thing you need to succeed is genuinely making a great product.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
This looks kind of cool. Blinks a board game . It looks neat and I can see it being fun. I can also see it not working very well, or being years later and it is dealing with electronics which makes me nervous in a Kickstarter.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

neaden posted:

This looks kind of cool. Blinks a board game . It looks neat and I can see it being fun. I can also see it not working very well, or being years later and it is dealing with electronics which makes me nervous in a Kickstarter.

Oh, I saw these at Indiecade a few years ago. The demo ones they had were having issues. I hope they would have worked them out by now though.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I backed Robin Hood and His Merry Men almost immediately because my wife loves Robin Hood and Worker Placement is our favorite mechanic.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

edit: I’m a total moron. Thought this was the board game thread.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 24, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

neaden posted:

Just thinking about how expensive watch batteries are makes me wince.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
From the makers of last year’s successful Tortuga 1667, comes Deadwood 1876, another cheap game in a book!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Rad Valtar posted:

I backed Robin Hood and His Merry Men almost immediately because my wife loves Robin Hood and Worker Placement is our favorite mechanic.

Shiiit, I was searching just last week for a Robin Hood game that wasn't Sheriff of Nottingham. Thanks!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A guy is doing a game with 800 miniatures that he describes as "A full Vietnam War miniatures wargame of the entire war in Vietnam from 1965 to 1975 that can be finished in a few weekends or less!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

It's no World in Flames, but few things are.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If this fails, it's because it wasn't hocked on a yahoo grognard group instead of kickstarter.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

"Vietnam War miniatures Axis & Allies type wargame board game" really rolls off the tongue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
President Kevin has given us an obituary for the Robotech debacle.