Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first time I played through FF6 I didn't use any healing spells for half of the game because it seemed like a waste of a turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Momomo posted:

The funny thing about XIII is that it isn't even hard from a design perspective, people were just terrible with it because it was so different. Vanille's English voice actor played a fairly large chunk of the game and was able to learn how switching paradigms quickly was important.

It's still one of the best systems the series has given us though. Shame about the rest of the game.

I still don’t know whether the tutorials were bad or if players were idiots, maybe a mix of both? The game does actually tell you how to do pretty much everything, but I know I managed to miss half of the details and to find the rest out online. Maybe more interactive tutorials, but then the game gets kinda bogged down in the messages to begin with.

It’s the FF7 conundrum. Is it the game’s fault for telling its story so incoherently, or the player’s fault for not paying any loving attention? I’m happy to say it’s half of both, same with FF13’s gameplay, but it’s also something I could easily change my mind one way or the other.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

seiferguy posted:

I've always been a big fan of each boss having a status element they're weak to, then exploiting that. Ruby Weapon is trivial if you use dazers to stun him.

A lot of early to mid mark hunts in 12 can be broken using the niho + remedy strategy.

I've neutered a good number of hunts just with disabling crossbow bolts and silence shot.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Mega64 posted:

I still don’t know whether the tutorials were bad or if players were idiots, maybe a mix of both? The game does actually tell you how to do pretty much everything, but I know I managed to miss half of the details and to find the rest out online. Maybe more interactive tutorials, but then the game gets kinda bogged down in the messages to begin with.

It’s the FF7 conundrum. Is it the game’s fault for telling its story so incoherently, or the player’s fault for not paying any loving attention? I’m happy to say it’s half of both, same with FF13’s gameplay, but it’s also something I could easily change my mind one way or the other.

I think it's a conditioning thing. For instance, they teach you how to select skills in the menu in XIII, but playing the intended way means you almost never do that and just use auto battle. I think it's similar to VIII in that some people apparently didn't understand junctions essentially being the equipment system because the idea of using magic for that is so strange.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I love FFXV.

I also enjoy or even love most of the FF games.

That's all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Renoistic posted:

I love FFXV.

I also enjoy or even love most of the FF games.

That's all.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like Final Fantasies but I want Vagrant Story 2.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i think vagrant story has the best video game opening of all time

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GulagDolls posted:

Also yeah that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

vagrant story 1 ~the phantom pain~
vagrant story 2 ~less chaps more leather~

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

GulagDolls posted:

"We must wait for reinforcements!"
"I am the reinforcements."

To my fourteen-year-old brain, that was the :c00l:est poo poo to ever grace my Playstation.

At thirty-two, it's still pretty loving :c00l:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

vagrant story 1 ~the phantom pain~
vagrant story 2 ~less chaps more leather~

I have a dream of a game where there are tattoos and belly-dancing and leather and boxes.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I just recently bought FFXV and its season pass but I just learned about the Royal Edition poo poo. I can't find any solid information on it but is it a good idea to hold off on playing the game until the Royal Edition is out to see if it futzes with the story?

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Vanderdeath posted:

I just recently bought FFXV and its season pass but I just learned about the Royal Edition poo poo. I can't find any solid information on it but is it a good idea to hold off on playing the game until the Royal Edition is out to see if it futzes with the story?

If you hadn't already bought it I would have suggested holding off but as it is I don't think it's a big deal, since there is a chapter select available from the main menu after you clear the game. worst case scenario is you experience the current iteration and then use chapter select post-patch to experience any alterations, you wouldn't have to do a full playthrough again.

I seriously doubt they're adding much story content or fixes tbh, they'd have advertised it heavier if so

e: they're definitely expanding ch 14 which is sort of a big deal? beyond that I'm not sure. I do follow ffxv updates kinda closely fwiw.

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 22, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Elentor posted:

Same but I would also settle for just re-releasing the exact same game with modernized 3D models, 60fps framerate and a less wonky jumping/platforming mechanics.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The bulk of the stuff the Royal Edition is adding is to the last bit of the game so I'd say you're clear to play up through nearly the end of the game. No idea if the boat stuff is balanced for a certain point of the game or not.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The difficulty curve issue in RPGs relates directly to sidequests and various other curiosities. It's not a matter of just grinding up levels to stomp everything; it's finding everything to do because you're having a good time and want more, and accidentally getting so swole you two-shot bosses.

This is NieR Automata's biggest problem.

Barudak posted:

FF13 is probably the toughest FF game.

Its also the best one and unironically if I were in charge of FF id be making so many spinoffs using that combat engine you all would be begging for mecy.

This but also unironically.

Like, the slapped-together story was poo poo, but the combat system was really freakin' good.

Same as in FFX-2.

Basically just chain Motomu Toriyama to a drafting board for combat systems and never show him even the tiniest pictures of characters.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Anyone else manage to go to the 30th anniversary FF exhibit in Tokyo? I have some pictures to upload but it was pretty neat. Huge focus as expected on FF7, Ff10 and FF15

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mazed posted:

Basically just chain Motomu Toriyama to a drafting board for combat systems and never show him even the tiniest pictures of characters.

Alright so this group of adorable, woodcut art squirrels fly around in the air and do cross character juggle with blades and magic? Hell yeah!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Completing FF 12 has left a hole in my heart. I'm thinking of picking up another one to fill the time until 15 drops on PC.

Is Type-0 worth messing around with? I also have Lightning Returns and X-2 on the table, but the time limit in the former kinda turns me off, and I have a hard time getting into the vibe of the latter. Give me your thoughts.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The time limit in Lighting Returns is not restrictive at all and you will not run out of time unless you do it on purpose. There's also a time stop mechanic if you want to be extra sure. It's a really good game and also secretly a Valkyrie Profile game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Same but I would also settle for just re-releasing the exact same game with modernized 3D models, 60fps framerate and a less wonky jumping/platforming mechanics.

Not taking five minutes to open your storage box to craft stuff is all I really want

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Not taking five minutes to open your storage box to craft stuff is all I really want

i sought zen enlightenment as a teenager when i tried to make the 100/100/100 damascus dread shield

i made a 29/29/29 hoplite shield, which is 25% of a perfect dread shield, and i was like gently caress this. and to clarify, yes! you do have enough room in your storage to make the perfect damascus dread shield. you just spend a lot of time doing crafting pyramids.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Veib posted:

The time limit in Lighting Returns is not restrictive at all and you will not run out of time unless you do it on purpose. There's also a time stop mechanic if you want to be extra sure. It's a really good game and also secretly a Valkyrie Profile game.

I've over time gotten the feeling that it's not the actual constraints of a time limit in a game that turns people off, it's the idea of a time limit. Lightning Returns and Majora's Mask (and probably Dead Rising, I haven't played it) aren't actually that limiting, the game either gives you plenty of time or has time travel mechanics built into it. But the fact the game is designed to have a time limit as an in-universe factor, and then actually keeps track of it constantly, stresses people out. It takes a lot more than just assurances that it's fine to overcome that.

As a counterpoint, consider Personas 3-5. Those are both time limited and actually confining; you only have so many days, and it's either drat hard or impossible (depending on the game) to do everything in that timeframe in one playthrough. But because that end-of-game isn't bearing down on you across the whole playtime, that complaint doesn't really come up. (EDIT: Of course, it likely also helps that there's nothing going by in real-time in Persona.)

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 22, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I bet the D-Counter in Dragon Quarter stressed people the gently caress out, too. gently caress that game is so good.

Shame the best Breath of Fire is what put the final nail in the coffin...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

i sought zen enlightenment as a teenager when i tried to make the 100/100/100 damascus dread shield

i made a 29/29/29 hoplite shield, which is 25% of a perfect dread shield, and i was like gently caress this. and to clarify, yes! you do have enough room in your storage to make the perfect damascus dread shield. you just spend a lot of time doing crafting pyramids.

May I interest you in FFXIV.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/966674137291874304

I unironically love the FFXV collab with anything attitude.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Turns out Half-Life 3 is real after all, who knew.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They should have had tie ins with other thought-to-be-vaporware games on all platforms. PC has Half-Life 3, PS4 could have had a Last Guardian tie-in, nobody knows what Xbox One could have had.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

They should have had tie ins with other thought-to-be-vaporware games on all platforms. PC has Half-Life 3, PS4 could have had a Last Guardian tie-in, nobody knows what Xbox One could have had.

Scalebound.

(let me wish.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Was there anything actually noteworthy about scalebound or can we call Comrades the homage since it's about doing anime moves at big monsters with your friends.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zedprime posted:

Was there anything actually noteworthy about scalebound or can we call Comrades the homage since it's about doing anime moves at big monsters with your friends.

The main character has headphones and thats about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Scalebound was basically Drakengard 3 if made by Platinum

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Scalebound was the friends we made along the way. Except it was cancelled, so I'm not sure what that means for friendship.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Friendship cancelled with Scalebound, now Bayonetta 3 is my friend

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

zedprime posted:

it was an exclusive big budget Platinum game. i think thats all anyone knew.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

The GIG posted:

I demand a Sackboy costume.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The GIG posted:

oh man is the Half-Life content going to be exclusive (read: take work to mod in once I buy XV on Steam sale)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

esperterra posted:

I bet the D-Counter in Dragon Quarter stressed people the gently caress out, too. gently caress that game is so good.

Shame the best Breath of Fire is what put the final nail in the coffin...

Yes, it did. Interesting idea put to good use, but it definitely feels unfair and unfun if you don't adjust your outlook. Kinda like Breath of the Wild's breakable weapons in that respect; if you approach it with the wrong mentality you bounce off HARD.