Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I'd also note the paragraph about how the U.S. Army has moved extra munitions to South Korea.

Good catch and not just the Army, but the other branches as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/fravel/status/965295130470207489

Seems to me like we're getting ready to go to war.

Edit: Paragraph mentioning how more munitions has been sent over as well.

Haven't they've always had a plan in case things go to poo poo?

And no one has ordered the dependents to be moved anyways

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm going to assume that war is coming any day now since Willo has gone from panicking to constantly reassuring himself.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Well at least it's unlikely NK would waste a nuke on Europe.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Paradoxish posted:

I'm going to assume that war is coming any day now since Willo has gone from panicking to constantly reassuring himself.

I'm only saying that because this isn't the first time dependents being moved out of South Korea has been discussed

There was the one incident where someone reported that dependents were being moved out of South Korea on Twitter, but turned out to be bullshit

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Willo567 posted:

I'm only saying that because this isn't the first time dependents being moved out of South Korea has been discussed

There was the one incident where someone reported that dependents were being moved out of South Korea on Twitter, but turned out to be bullshit

Like everything else, the real answer to all of this is "who knows?" Trying to figure out what's going to happen from articles like that one is basically just reading tea leaves because, unlike with Iraq, anything that puts up a giant neon sign saying that war is coming is going to be Very Bad. The hawks in this administration who aren't Trump are smart enough to know that so it seems extremely unlikely that we're going to get the kind of advanced warning we did with Iraq. If anything happens, I suspect that we're going to see things like civilian evacuations after a limited strike leads to further escalation and not as a first step.

Remember that there's actually no good reason for us to fight a war with North Korea at this point. Like, none. There's no justifiable argument for it. If it happens, it's going to be because there are people in this administration who want it and that's it. All the analysis in the world is going to fail when one actor's entire position is "I want this to happen but right now I can't think of a good way to make it happen."

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 19, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

wtf is all that poo poo in the background? what kind of munition makes little doughnut shapes?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

wtf is all that poo poo in the background? what kind of munition makes little doughnut shapes?

Those are smoke bombs, used to make it more difficult to target the people landing.

Edit: I've noticed that a lot of news sites like to use that "exact moment" for dramatic purposes. Here's what they look like in video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjw-i2L6Ync

Spergin Morlock fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 20, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think the brown stuff is designed to mess with sensors that could be used for guided weapons. I witnessed a mock amphibious invasion like that once and it was pretty interesting and also unnerving.

The white smoke did a good job obscuring the vehicles but watching the AAVs slowly paddle their way toward the beach from several miles out put into relief how vulnerable they are. They were like Sir Lancelot running toward the castle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoM7V54T-c&t=34s

So before the cameras caught the vehicles hitting the beach in the above post, the camera crews were sitting there bored out of their minds for an hour as they watched these half-submerged boxes inch closer and closer. If you had anti-tank missiles on that beach...

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 20, 2018

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/966106958150414338

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

you don't get to claim intentions for a good faith meeting when you spend the entirety of your trip undermining the premises of such a meeting

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

R. Guyovich posted:

you don't get to claim intentions for a good faith meeting when you spend the entirety of your trip undermining the premises of such a meeting

hot take: north korea is bad, and VP Pence is also bad

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's weird to me that there are these memes about jolly fat dear leader looking at things, and his sister giving Mike Pence "some serious side-eye" or whatever. No one joked about the adorable cuteness of Ahmadinejad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Because North Korea is pathetic in a way Ahmadinejad never was.

Yes, they're brutal monsters who torture and kill with impunity, but we're in the third generation now and spoiled rich kids have always been tragic idiots.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

It's bizarre to me that every article about an Official Enemy must be prefaced with an acknowledgement of all the ways they're extremely evil, unless you're a drat apologist..

Cardi B GOES IN on haters. Now of course, TMZ agrees that the united states is a racist, carceral hellstate. But,

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
There's a thing with North Korea in particular in that it can't just be a lovely dictatorship opposed to America, it also has to be the poorest and weirdest place as well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mediadave posted:

There's a thing with North Korea in particular in that it can't just be a lovely dictatorship opposed to America, it also has to be the poorest and weirdest place as well.

Having a very public and massive societal collapse with mass starvation will do that, yeah

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willo567 posted:

Haven't they've always had a plan in case things go to poo poo?

And no one has ordered the dependents to be moved anyways

From my anecdotal experience with regards to US military in Korea, yes.

Back in 2001 my brother (was stationed in Korea with US Army) was telling me how the Korean Army is basically always on a "any day now...any day" mentality for war. Contrasting that is the conscripts he served with that would bring a cot on field trainin exercises while the US Army guys were tild to suck it up and stop conplaining.

Living in Seoul anf talking to some Koreans who got out of tge army that mentality by tge higher ups is still there. So take that as you will.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 22, 2018

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

It's weird to me that there are these memes about jolly fat dear leader looking at things, and his sister giving Mike Pence "some serious side-eye" or whatever. No one joked about the adorable cuteness of Ahmadinejad.

That's because he's devastatingly handsome you loving noob.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mediadave posted:

Well, it's very both those things, don't get me wrong.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Halloween Jack posted:

Was gonna say, the easiest propaganda is the stuff you don't need to invent.

I've always wondered what the average north boot currently feels about the whole situation. Aside from what I presume are commissariat 'This is why we fight' lectures and the odd struggle session, what occupies the mind of a guy when he remembers that (That business with the axe murders aside) this 'any minute now' war's been going on for 60 years with nary a shot?

I'd presume he's just glad he's getting slightly better rations than back in the village, but wouldn't the sheer dichotomy of the present and portrayed situation across everyone who's conscripted- ah, gently caress it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WarpedNaba posted:

I've always wondered what the average north boot currently feels about the whole situation. Aside from what I presume are commissariat 'This is why we fight' lectures and the odd struggle session, what occupies the mind of a guy when he remembers that (That business with the axe murders aside) this 'any minute now' war's been going on for 60 years with nary a shot?

I'd presume he's just glad he's getting slightly better rations than back in the village, but wouldn't the sheer dichotomy of the present and portrayed situation across everyone who's conscripted- ah, gently caress it.

Well the thing is a soldier does get rations, at least if he's lucky. The government ended provision of food to the populace during the famine and never brought it back.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think it's the poorest; the famine was some time ago, and material conditions in many African and some Middle Eastern countries are probably worse. I think it has a legitimate claim to being the weirdest, but that's not exactly something you can quantify.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

fishmech posted:

Well the thing is a soldier does get rations, at least if he's lucky. The government ended provision of food to the populace during the famine and never brought it back.

Wasn't that to redirect the food to prevent food riots amongst the military, though? Which makes sense, the last people you want pitching a fit are the ones who actually have the ability to death-or-glory your rear end.

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think it's the poorest; the famine was some time ago, and material conditions in many African and some Middle Eastern countries are probably worse. I think it has a legitimate claim to being the weirdest, but that's not exactly something you can quantify.

Eh, when the bar's so low that you accidentally cut it in half while digging for worms it's probably not worth splitting hairs over.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

WarpedNaba posted:

Eh, when the bar's so low that you accidentally cut it in half while digging for worms it's probably not worth splitting hairs over.
In terms of being poor and extremely repressive, Eritrea might sneak past North Korea. But yeah it's a weird topic since you're basically rearranging the list of the bottom countries in the world.

I think there's a case that while North Koreans live in one of the poorest countries in the world, they're materially better off than the poor in many wealthier countries: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3677063/

That article says the age-standardized death rate is roughly in the middle, globally, comparable to Egypt and Jordan, and lower than India.

quote:

The age-standardized death rate of North Korea was 858 out of 100 000. This value was higher than South Korea's 436 or China's 731, but it was lower than those of fellow SEAR countries like India's 1147 and Indonesia's 961 and around the same level as Egypt's 860 and Jordan's 873, which have been reported to be countries with relatively higher income levels than North Korea. Globally, the age-standardized death rate of North Korea ranked in the middle among all of the WHO member states and was the second lowest in the SEAR countries following that of Maldives.

quote:

The analysis of the mortality and causes of death discussed above could lead to the interpretation that the burden of mortality due to communicable diseases and malnutrition in North Korea is relatively low in terms of both quantity, expressed in the death rate, and quality, represented by the structure of the causes of death. Therefore, North Korea should not be considered a typical low-income country with the death structure centered around communicable diseases.

quote:

Malaria, another communicable disease now of less importance in North Korea, ravaged the nation from the mid-1990s to the early 2000s, and an outbreak in 2000 resulted in over 200 000 cases. However, the total number of patients has been decreasing at a steady rate; in addition, the incidence is reported to have dropped to around 10 000 per year since 2005. The current incidence of malaria in North Korea is found to be one of the lower ones in Southeast Asia, and the nation has currently been ranked at a pre-elimination stage for malaria.

Communicable diseases other than TB and malaria are also causing problems. Infections that cause pneumonia and diarrhea are the leading causes of child death, and it has been reported that over one third of the school-age children in North Korea have diseases caused by intestinal parasites [15,16]. Furthermore, North Korea is expected to have a significant incidence of hepatitis B and sexually-transmitted infections [17]. Meanwhile, North Korea reports that its vaccination rate for essential communicable diseases has reached the level of the developed countries. Whether the cold chain, which determines the efficacy of vaccines, is operating under normal conditions is, however, still questionable
I think I remember an article about the recent defector who had a problem with intestinal parasites.

There seems to be a big rural-urban disparity in North Korea.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, it makes sense. A busted-up, under-supplied but centrally-planned medical infrastructure (which I assume North Korea has) is better than no medical infrastructure.

I'd like to read more about this stuff but the only sites that seem to really dive in on these details are pro-DPRK, Stalinist-type communist websites with headlines like "the real truth about North Korea!" That doesn't mean that everything they post is pure bullshit but still.

WarpedNaba posted:

And how!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnB4J1splYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTz9nIUkGc

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

I recommend reading Nothing to Envy. You get a somewhat decent insight to everyday North Korean life. Mainly its civilians but iirc there's a guy who did his conscription in it.

It also goes over the rations stuff, again from a civilian perspective.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the people in the book was a pediatrician and her stuff was like super depressing because they are so far behind in terms of medical knowledge and procedures the pediatrician couldn't even qualify to be a nurse at a volunteer clinic after she defected to the South (a lot of the girls end up as semi hookers in Suwon for the Noraebangs apparently which is pretty soul crushing as well).

That said, apparently they are really big into using more 1800s/traditional remedies. Which is also telling of the situation for medical supplies there as well.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

One of the people in the book was a pediatrician and her stuff was like super depressing because they are so far behind in terms of medical knowledge and procedures the pediatrician couldn't even qualify to be a nurse at a volunteer clinic after she defected to the South (a lot of the girls end up as semi hookers in Suwon for the Noraebangs apparently which is pretty soul crushing as well).

That said, apparently they are really big into using more 1800s/traditional remedies. Which is also telling of the situation for medical supplies there as well.

Usual disclaimer about North Korea being a lovely regime...anyway, Nothing to Envy is a great book and well worth reading, but it's worth bearing in mind that the large majority of its stories take place during the famine years of the mid nineties. That was over twenty years ago now. Marketisation in particular in the last 10 years has changed how North Korea operates - people don't rely in any way on rations now.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
True but its also a good reference of where things were internally that can give you a good indicator of where things are now.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think this thread brought up at one point how the one( kinda) medicinal drug NK has plenty of - Methamphetamine - had become sort of folk medicine, and a young girl was taught to treat her acne with meth in water or something.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Unfunny Poster posted:

True but its also a good reference of where things were internally that can give you a good indicator of where things are now.

It's probably like stories of katrina in the US. Every issue in katrina points as a larger societal issue that did exist and still exists, but it was also an abnormal condition and isn't just "guess american hospitals are always euthanizing fat guys because it happened during katrina".

Like you can look at a disaster and how a government reacts to it and learn a ton about that country, but you can't really apply things 1:1 as always happening forever because they happened.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

There's a lot of dumb memes about how little North Koreans understand the outside world, but one area where they do seem to be generally clueless is how badly outmatched they are militarily. (I mean, it's not like most Americans know what a conventional war between the U.S. and other countries would look like with our current capabilities, if all nuclear weapons magically vanished.) I've read some defectors' accounts saying that they fear Japan more than the US, because they believe they beat the US while Japan's crimes against them have gone unavenged. There are certainly plenty who want war to come, since they've been sold this idea of apocalyptic war as a crucial step towards utopia their entire lives.

Also, soldiers don't have it great compared to the general population. Part of a young man entering military service is his family pulling any strings they can to get him a good assignment. "Good" meaning "they actually feed you." Their special forces have become known as the worst assignments, because rather than being the elite, they're simply expected to be the most fanatical because they have it the worst. The army is going hungry and doing lovely manual labour like everyone else.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Ironically, traditional folk medicine had a bad reputation in North Korea when they were at their peak.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 22, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mediadave posted:

Usual disclaimer about North Korea being a lovely regime...anyway, Nothing to Envy is a great book and well worth reading, but it's worth bearing in mind that the large majority of its stories take place during the famine years of the mid nineties. That was over twenty years ago now. Marketisation in particular in the last 10 years has changed how North Korea operates - people don't rely in any way on rations now.

The government telling people that rations will no longer be given out does tend to make people not rely on them, yes.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/966359451686064130

https://twitter.com/TimothyS/status/966709019309113347

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I wouldn't worry about that. It's just more bluffing, and it isn't even from an official in the administration

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

fishmech posted:

The government telling people that rations will no longer be given out does tend to make people not rely on them, yes.

What point are you trying to make?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

mediadave posted:

"North Korea bad"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mediadave posted:

It's got nothing to do with official approval of marketization, ration distribution was abandoned before it was legal to privately trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

So, how much worse will the situation with NK get if Bolton replaces McMaster?

I know that McMaster was pushing for a bloody nose strike, so I'm not sure how different it would be under Bolton